• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

RandomVince said:
You wait, English batsmen will come out equipped with light meters on their helmets. They will try to salvage a draw using the same methods they used to steal the 2005 series.

I don't understand, how are light meters going to make the Aussies choke?

edit Bopara's out as well?

santouras

Stuart MacGill is the worst presenter ever, but I'm sure I've said that before. I hope the rain doesn't hold the match up for too long. I don't think the light will be a problem being as they've already chucked on the lights.

santouras said:
Stuart MacGill is the worst presenter ever, but I'm sure I've said that before. I hope the rain doesn't hold the match up for too long. I don't think the light will be a problem being as they've already chucked on the lights.

Yeah, I think they said that they will offer the light once there is no more natural light(regardless of whether play is possible with just the lights)

santouras

Cerebral Assassin said:
Yeah, I think they said that they will offer the light once there is no more natural light(regardless of whether play is possible with just the lights)
that's frustrating. With the floodlights on they should be able to play till the end of the allotted days play.

legend166

5th day has started.

Apparently there was a confrontation between Pietersen and Johnson before play. Hopefully Johnson knocks his head off.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
And he's got better stats then the 2 pom spinners combined. Think they said between them it was 1/214 or something, Hauritz 5 for 100 something between the 2 innings, 2 for 17 for today.

RandomVince said:
You could use that call if we didnt win 5-0 in the follow up series.

This doesn't make any sense, you choked in 2005, if anything the 5-0 backs me up not you.

Anyway shambolic performance by England so far, Harmy in for Monty for the next test hopefully.

Yagharek

Cerebral Assassin said:
This doesn't make any sense, you choked in 2005, if anything the 5-0 backs me up not you.

Anyway shambolic performance by England so far, Harmy in for Monty for the next test hopefully.

Choked? Is that how your papers spin it? We lost our best paceman before the first test in McGrath, and would have won at least one more test if the english batsmen werent scared of their shadows and ran off the field at the first sign of "bad light".

England were very lucky to win in 05. They werent that good in thr long run though. At least India and Sth Africa put up real challenges.

RandomVince said:
Choked? Is that how your papers spin it? We lost our best paceman before the first test in McGrath, and would have won at least one more test if the english batsmen werent scared of their shadows and ran off the field at the first sign of "bad light".

England were very lucky to win in 05. They werent that good in thr long run though. At least India and Sth Africa put up real challenges.

No the papers spin it as a great English victory over a bunch of arrogant Aussies who thought they just had to turn up to win(the papers have pretty much ignored the 2007 series), crying over injuries is a bit pathetic( especially as Simon Jones has pretty much been injured since 2005, Vaughan's knee forced him out of the game etc.). As for the "bad light" look in the rule book nothing against it in there(unlike some of the sledging that you guys get up to whilst claiming its part of the game).

Personally I think its a combination of a few things, England's whole structure(team & coach) were pulling the same way, reports suggest that not everyone thought the same in the Aussie camp, Vaughan getting under Ponting's skin(one of my favourite bits of sledging "who do you think you are? Steve Waugh?" :lol ) good bowling plans carried out by good bowlers & Aussies failing to take their chances after the 1st test.

Salazar

santouras said:

MacGill, Martyn, and Matthews are unforgivable. They would be intolerable if they were only on briefly and individually, as guests, but HOSTING ???????

Salazar said:
MacGill, Martyn, and Matthews are unforgivable. They would be intolerable if they were only on briefly and individually, as guests, but HOSTING ???????

Do you guys not have Slater? He was pretty good when he used to commentate over here.

santouras

Cerebral Assassin said:
Do you guys not have Slater? He was pretty good when he used to commentate over here.
nah unfortunately not. Seriously, these guys are so, so bad. Martyn might be ok with some other people, but macgill is an absolute muppet, he's so blatantly one sided it's embaressing to watch

Dead Man

Salazar said:
Matthews in particular gives me the shits. He looks like a middle aged lesbian, and he drones on and on about stupid shit. I hate him as a presenter.

santouras

RandomVince said:

mcgrath played in the first test and absolutely destroyed the english :) one of the best spells of bowling I've ever seen, he had 4-10 at one stage if I remember correctly

Code:
ME Trescothick 	c Langer b McGrath 	4	24	17	1	0	23.52
AJ Strauss 	c Warne b McGrath 	2	28	21	0	0	9.52
MP Vaughan* 	b McGrath 	            3	29	20	0	0	15.00
IR Bell   	b McGrath 	            6	34	25	1	0	24.00
A Flintoff 	b McGrath 	            0	8	4	0	0	0.00
Fall of wickets1-10 (Trescothick, 6.1 ov), 2-11 (Strauss, 6.5 ov), 3-18 (Vaughan, 12.2 ov), 4-19 (Bell, 14.3 ov), 5-21 (Flintoff, 16.1 ov)

Grug

Rezbit said:
Uh oh Grug won't be happy, Hauritz already has 2 wickets!

He's certainly having a last test match to remember. ;)

Draw certainly not out of the question. Collingwood looking pretty solid.

Grug

Rezbit said:
I'm pretty devo that we didn't manage to win this actually, this could prove to be a massive psychological blow.

You reckon?

England battling to salvage a draw against Australia's first innings total (in which they only lost 5 wickets).

Cardiff was the one England really needed to win to get the series momentum. This was the pitch their spinners were going to destroy us on.

Rezbit

Well what the fuck. This is a massive blue by Ponting. WHY would you take Hilfy off. Beyond me it really is.

And still persisting with Johnson who is just not effective at the moment.

:|

Grug

Rezbit said:
Well what the fuck. This is a massive blue by Ponting. WHY would you take Hilfy off. Beyond me it really is.

And still persisting with Johnson who is just not effective at the moment.

:|

Johnson is the best hope to get the left hander in Anderson.

Hilf will be back soon, needed to reload.

Top Bottom