• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

The axeman cometh! Siddle with the tenacious breakthrough that could spell a soul-destroying loss for England.

Gotta feel for Collingwood - and Stuart Clark. :lol

Pachael

This was funny:

"Siddle to Panesar, no run, short and angled into the left-hander who defended on the back foot out to the off side. Monty wants a run! Oh good grief man, what are you doing? Anderson sends him back, Monty gives him the thumbs up, Strauss puts his head in his hands and mutters "for God's sake.""

Heh.

England now lead. Double heh.

Rezbit

That's why it would make sense to have Hilfy bowling who bowls stump to stump. Hauritz' gentle off spin is NOT doing it, clearly.

EDIT: Marcus North WAT IS THIS

Grug

Ricky trying to get as many overs as possible.

Going with spinners.

Last ditch effort.

I'll just pre-emptively congratulate England on a heroic effort to salvage the draw.

Grug

Rezbit said:
Well done England, you held out.

What the fuck Australia, you couldn't get out the #10 OR #11.

Yeah, its dissapointing, but lets get some perspective.

One team nearly won convincingly, and the other team nearly lost convincingly. Better to be supporting the former.

Grug

LOL at the physio. :D

Haven't seen more blatant time wasting since Ishant Sharma came out with two left gloves. :lol

Dead Man

Grug said:
You reckon?

England battling to salvage a draw against Australia's first innings total (in which they only lost 5 wickets).

Cardiff was the one England really needed to win to get the series momentum. This was the pitch their spinners were going to destroy us on.
Sorry to drag this back up, but people quite often take hope out of snathcing a draw from the jaws of defeat. Consider WW2, Dunkirk. The English got smashed, but staged a very successful retreat, and took heart from that. I wouldn't be surprised if a draw here gave them extra morale.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
idahoblue said:
Sorry to drag this back up, but people quite often take hope out of snathcing a draw from the jaws of defeat. Consider WW2, Dunkirk. The English got smashed, but staged a very successful retreat, and took heart from that. I wouldn't be surprised if a draw here gave them extra morale.

i agree.

Rezbit

Grug said:

One team nearly won convincingly, and the other team nearly lost convincingly. Better to be supporting the former.

Sorry man, but I can't agree. They media won't shut up about this. Some really shit decisions made by Ponting in the end, I can tell over the next couple of days questions will be raised.

Pachael

Grug said:

LOL. The only perspective is that the teams are tied after the first Test, and England have pretty much done the job :)

Nearly doesn't do anything these days ;p

Pachael

idahoblue said:

Remember in 05 when Australia managed to eke out a draw 4th test? Or did we say they sucked then?

Maybe we did? Haw haw.

Grug

idahoblue said:

Yeah no doubt. But remove the bad weather, and that game was Australia's by an entire innings.

I think England will be feeling more relief rather than confidence.

Rezbit

Oh gawd it's started already; Anderson just said "Going into Lords with the series still level is a massive boost for us.."

Grug

Rezbit said:
Sorry man, but I can't agree. They media won't shut up about this. Some really shit decisions made by Ponting in the end, I can tell over the next couple of days questions will be raised.

What's the media got to do with it?

Dead Man

Grug said:
Yeah no doubt. But remove the bad weather, and that game was Australia's by an entire innings.

Maybe, the next Test will tell.

The time wasting was unnecessary, but a good battling stand from England's lower order and Paul Collingwood. (He earned his MBE today :p)

idahoblue said:

:lol Thing is, though, this was probably England's best chance to win. Also, wars between nations are a much more dynamic and fluid situation than cricket - where the resources probably aren't going to change as dramatically within one series. I think the comparison is unrealistic.

JonnyBrad

Thank fuck for that. The entire top order was shit. Anderson's batting is so much better than it used to be.

Colly played prob one of the best innings he's ever played as well.

Dead Man

Tim the Wiz said:
The time wasting was unnecessary, but a good battling stand from England's lower order and Paul Collingwood. (He earned his MBE today!)

:lol Thing is, though, this was probably England's best chance to win. Also, wars between nations are a much more dynamic and fluid situation than cricket - where the resources probably aren't going to change as dramatically within one series. I think the comparison is unrealistic.
It wasn't really meant to be a realistic comparison, just to show that people can take heart from results other than victory.

Edit: Anyway, good work from Collingwood, and England, I'm off to bed.

Benson

I'm not a massive follower of cricket but the end of this test was absolutely epic, the feeling of tension every time the ball came towards Monty was unrivalled. You just don't get those kind of moments with 20/20.

Grug

We can't run controlled scientific tests to see what would have happened had Ponting bowled Hilfenhaus. But if he did and it didn't work, I guarantee people would be screaming "everyone knows Panesar is weak against spin bowling, you blew it Ricky!".

In the emotion of a dissapointing result, its easy to look back at a few captaincy decisions and say they were the difference in the end, but its a bit unfair really.

If I had to pinpoint the most dissapointing moment of the match it would be the 100 runs that we let the English tail get at the end of their first innings. Some extremely ill disciplined bowling by Hauritz and Siddle in particular. I'd say that was far more decisive that Ponting's decisions on the last few overs.

Pachael

Grug said:

Well, to win a match you generally need to bowl out 20 batsmen... not 19.

England will be cheering this 'last line of defence' for a week - but if their bowling is as insipid as seen in this Test, they ain't getting the Ashes back.

Top Bottom