• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Fuckwit pitch invader.

Hope the police "accidently" smash his head on the door getting him into the paddy wagon.

Grug

Haha, what a finish.

Pity Afridi is going to be suspended. Will make the Twenty20s a whole lot less interesting.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Crap, he should have been banned for 2 one dayers since thats when the incident occurred, not 20/20's........ gonna be bit meh now hes not out there smashing 6's for cancer :(

pieatorium said:
I think the standard penalty for pitch invasion is like 5 grand fine and a ban from venue, this guy will get alot more i think
In WA the current law is only $500 fine and WACA gives a lifetime ban. Obviously this guy will be up for some assault charges too...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Fuck me, Pakistan must be cursed or something. Bad LBW aside that game was incredible, 160.7kmh by Tate.........fucking insane, day time 20/20 with a fresh ball and hard pitch, i reckon he breaks the speed record.

Good attacking captaincy by Pup as well, people where calling for his head before the game even started with his poor average.

Windies again on Sunday, we will have to bombard them with KFC ad's to get cricket some more publicity :lol

artist

Banned
And with that folks, India retains the No.1 ranking, SA stays at No.2 and Australia
deservedly
at No.3 :lol

Thoroughly enjoyed both tests; first test was Steyn's fiery spell and this one was Harbhajan kicking up those glorious memories of the series of ALL-TIME. :D God I love this guy - Harbhaijan, his success riles up certain rogue elements down under and his failure .. well the guy is a rogue so I like watching him squirm too.

artist

Banned
NZ poised to win this test against BAN but whats this?

41.5 Vettori to Shakib Al Hasan, no run
41.4 Vettori to Shakib Al Hasan, SIX, smashed again over mid on. A sort of straight sweep shot
41.3 Vettori to Shakib Al Hasan, FOUR, laps it delicately fine of the man on the fence. Taken from outside off
41.2 Vettori to Shakib Al Hasan, FOUR, goes again, this time more in front of square in the air
41.1 Vettori to Shakib Al Hasan, FOUR, aggressive sweep shot from outside off. Smashed in front of square

:lol

Grug

What a crap Australian summer of cricket. Boring as shit. Provided very little relief from AFL withdrawal.

Thank god the Poms come out at the end of the year. Get our urn back.

ALL HAIL THE KING!!

6giyps.jpg

AAK

That man probably is the greatest batsmen ever after Sir Donald Bradman. I don't think we'll ever see another with as many records as him.

AAK said:
That man probably is the greatest batsmen ever after Sir Donald Bradman. I don't think we'll ever see another with as many records as him.

Definitely. He just scored centuries in 4 consecutive test matches (laying to rest any doubts that he was a spent/aging force,) and now this. The guy is on a different level.

His list of records is astonishing.

artist

Banned
AAK said:
He is the greatest batsman of ALL-TIME.

Sachin, you beauty.

Grug

All time?

LMAO. I understand you are excited irfan but try and keep a little perspective. :lol

Sir Donald Bradman probably has claims to be the most dominant person in ANY game. His average speaks for itself. Especially as he played in the era of bodyline and pitches/balls that were far less friendly to batsmen.

If someone can find another player in any sport that is as far ahead of the next best player statistically (excluding those "played one game and scored 120" types), I would love to see it.

1. D.G. Bradman average 99.94.

2. R.G. Pollock average 60.97

To be that much difference between first and second is just remarkable.

The Don will never be equalled.

Grug said:
Sir Donald Bradman probably has claims to be the most dominant person in ANY game. His average speaks for itself. Especially as he played in the era of bodyline and pitches/balls that were far less friendly to batsmen.

Absolutely.

Grug said:

Never say never.

AAK said:
That man probably is the greatest batsmen ever after Sir Donald Bradman.

Agreed.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Didn't Bradman use to train by hitting a golf ball against a wall with a short broom stick when he was a kid?...... i'd be petrified when it came back at me.

Grug said:
Agreed. Sachin is clearly the 2nd best batsman of all time though.

I know there's a bunch of contenders (Viv Richards, Lara, Ponting, Gavaskar, Border etc), but in my mind he's easily surpassed them all.
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Didn't Bradman use to train by hitting a golf ball against a wall with a short broom stick when he was a kid?...... i'd be petrified when it came back at me.
Thats true. He credited it with improving his reflexes and eye-hand coordination.

Grug

Didn't Bradman use to train by hitting a golf ball against a wall with a short broom stick when he was a kid

IIRC, he hit the golf ball against a corrugated iron water tank because it made the rebounds more unpredictable.

AAK said:

yeah he has got records but I would watch a Sehwag century over a Tendulkar century any day of the week.

I would also watch Lara, Ponting, Gilchrist, Hayden, Mike Hussey and Mark Waugh ahead of Tendulkar as well.

They don't have as high an average or have scored as many runs but I have never really liked watching Tendulkar bat. He just seems less flamboyant and natural as the names above and is generally less entertaining.

Yagharek

irfan said:
He is the greatest batsman of ALL-TIME.

Sachin, you beauty.

Hmmm, big call but hard to compare.

I thought Ponting had a serious chance of catching and overtaking him on the test all time tally. He still might, but that depends on Sachin retiring.

Unlikely.

Barring injury, he could play 3-5 more years :lol (although so could Punter).

Sachin is the Shane Warne of batting though (ie the best in living memory).

Tonche

chicko1983 said:
yeah he has got records but I would watch a Sehwag century over a Tendulkar century any day of the week.

I would also watch Lara, Ponting, Gilchrist, Hayden, Mike Hussey and Mark Waugh ahead of Tendulkar as well.

They don't have as high an average or have scored as many runs but I have never really liked watching Tendulkar bat. He just seems less flamboyant and natural as the names above and is generally less entertaining.

Oh man, disagree.

Such class and fluency in his strokes. 25 boundaries in his 200 so half the runs were boundaries.

Gilchrist and Sehwag are fun to watch when they're on fire - fore pure mastery though, Sachin is the man.

Mike Hussey? Surely not!

Tonche said:
Oh man, disagree.

Such class and fluency in his strokes. 25 boundaries in his 200 so half the runs were boundaries.

Gilchrist and Sehwag are fun to watch when they're on fire - fore pure mastery though, Sachin is the man.

Mike Hussey? Surely not!

Mike Hussey is a more natural stroke player than Sachin.

Mike Hussey stats:
48 Tests, ave 53.03, 11 hundreds/83 innings = 13%
135 ODIs, ave 53.94, SR 88.05

Sachin's stats:
166 Tests, ave 55.56, 47 hundreds/271 innings = 17%
442 ODIs, ave 45.12, SR 86.26

They are the stats which I think matter for batsmen. Sachin has scored more hundreds and has a better conversion rate but only a slightly better average. Going by statistics, Sachin is a better batsmen in test matches

In one dayer's, Hussey is a better batsmen statistically.

But in terms of watching and pure entertainment (which is the reason I watch cricket), I would rather watch Hussey, and that is not because I am Australian, but because he is more entertaining. Watching Sachin score a hundred is like watching paint dry, partly because he is so good it doesn't look like he tries anything inventive / flamboyant. And that is why I like watching other batsmen over him.

I have seen a couple of hundreds by Sachin at the Adelaide Oval test matches and they almost put me to sleep!

chicko1983 said:
Mike Hussey is a more natural stroke player than Sachin.

But in terms of watching and pure entertainment (which is the reason I watch cricket), I would rather watch Hussey, and that is not because I am Australian, but because he is more entertaining. Watching Sachin score a hundred is like watching paint dry, partly because he is so good it doesn't look like he tries anything inventive / flamboyant. And that is why I like watching other batsmen over him.

I have seen a couple of hundreds by Sachin at the Adelaide Oval test matches and they almost put me to sleep!
There is a cure for your madness. And it's called Sharjah. Go watch those matches and edumacate yourself on what flair, flamboyance and utter domination is.

NZer

Lack of flair? I don't understand, Sachin plays beautifully. Textbook, but exquisite.

For me, the analogies are clear: Sachin = Federer (textbook, graceful, modern, hold all the tally records), Bradman = Laver (frequently cited as the greatest ever, with careers shortened by wars or professionalisation, respectively, but still they achieved amazing records within their playing periods, things that will likely never be replicated).

artist

Banned
:lol Haha, I come here and see a bunch of Sissies Aussies splitting hairs. Bradman surely was/is the greatest batsman of ALL-TIME but only in tests, we dont really know how he would have fared in other forms of the game. Sachin has done well in all forms and the amount of runs he has scored will remain unmatched for a long long time, possibly forever.

"He should aim for more. Maybe a Test innings of 450 or an ODI knock of 250. And then he himself wants to win next year's World Cup. There is a little boy in Tendulkar who wants to keep playing. That spirit keeps him going. It's absolutely incredible how he keeps going."
Keeping with the Mumbai ways, Sunil Gavaskar is not yet sated

"Come on Sachin my friend get your 200. World record to please! You deserve it… Nervous for my good friend Sachin everything crossed for you mate… Glad I'm not bowling to him today ha ha ha."
Tendulkar's old pal Shane Warne tweets his excitement as he nears the double-century

"Nobody else does deserve to get there. It's only Sachin who deserves to scale that peak. 200 is a big score in one-day cricket. It's not easy to get there. It took him 20 long years to get there. He has come a long way. It's Sachin's greatness. Records are meant to be broken. I heard somebody [Charles Coventry] equalled my record sometime ago. But I did not know him. It's great that my friend from Mumbai Sachin broke it. I am very happy for him."
Saeed Anwar may have been pushed down the special list, but he's full of praise for the incumbent

"I thought the way he celebrated when he reached his 200 epitomised the man's persona. There was no running laps around the field, no aggressive gestures, nothing over-the-top. He did what he always does, raised both his arms, closed his eyes for a moment and quietly acknowledged that it had been done."
Anil Kumble applauds a long-time team-mate

"I was very proud to have held the record for a little while but there could be no better man in the history of the game to break through the 200 barrier. Zimbabwe versus Bangladesh.. India versus South Africa. Not quite in the same bracket, are they?"
Charles Coventry downplays his own achievement in scoring 194* against Bangladesh, and joins in the applause

"The unbeaten 200 that Sachin made at Gwalior is a benchmark for others to follow. Now, there will be lot of players who believe that they can also make 200 in an one-day international. We will wait and see."
VVS Laxman tells DNA that it was a path breaking innings

"He has always respected the game and is dedicated to it. But I think this is not enough for him. He is hungry and I am sure he will keep creating new records. He is a dedicated student of the game and is still keen to learn things."
Ramakant Achrekar, Tendulkar's childhood coach

"I think if you ask Saeed Anwar, he would say he's happy that Tendulkar broke his record. The reason for his success is that he has a great respect for the game."
Aamer Sohail, Saeed Anwar's good friend and opening partner, pays a fitting tribute to the new record-holder

"He has got so much class. His greatest strength is the longevity, to be able to be so successful at a young age and to still be doing the same thing 20 years on. We're blessed to still have such a great player playing this game."
Michael ClarkeWhiny Bitch didn't watch the innings, but plans to catch the highlights

"If any person deserved to do better than me it was Tendulkar. I am happy for him, there are no real regrets."
Saeed Anwar, whose 194 was the previous highest ODI score.

"It shows his mental and physical toughness. He's a player who does not throw away his wicket once he's set. He always places a huge price on his wicket."
Dilip Vengsarkar salutes the attributes that such a knock needs

"Sachin - the greatest ever player ever - without any doubt… I salute Sachin... World's greatest sportsman. We can see him only rise. (He is an) inspiration to us all. He is the best."
IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi waxes beyond eloquent, on his twitter page

"What an innings it was. He had come close to achieving it twice. I always felt that Tendulkar and Sanath Jayasuriya are capable of doing that."
Kumar Sangakkara has not forgotten Tendulkar's recent dazzling form

"He is my favourite player. I had said that one day he would go on to break all batting records and now you see him scoring runs and runs."
Javed Miandad kinda saw it coming

"Whatever record is seen to be impossible to achieve, he makes it possible. That's all I can say. It seems as he's getting older, he is becoming more and more mature. No wonder Sir Donald Bradman saw himself in the way Sachin bats."
King of parsimony Bapu Nadkarni is not parsimonious with his praise

http://www.cricinfo.com/indvrsa2010/content/current/story/449882.html

irfan said:
:lol Haha, I come here and see a bunch of Sissies Aussies splitting hairs. Bradman surely was/is the greatest batsman of ALL-TIME but only in tests, we dont really know how he would have fared in other forms of the game. Sachin has done well in all forms and the amount of runs he has scored will remain unmatched for a long long time, possibly forever.

Bradman's record in Tests is astonishing enough to give him the title of greatest batsmen of all-time quite easily. Tendulkar is correspondingly easy to name as the greatest ODI batsmen of all-time, certainly, but to conflate that with what you suggest would be a mistake.

Tim the Wiz said:
Bradman's record in Tests is astonishing enough to give him the title of greatest batsmen of all-time quite easily. Tendulkar is correspondingly easy to name as the greatest ODI batsmen of all-time, certainly, but to conflate that with what you suggest would be mistake.

Bradman is Bradman... no one will ever touch his genius + consistency. I just dont see it happening... he was a freak of nature. FFS, his average during the BODYLINE series was 56.57... and he was hit above the waist only once. Thats superhuman.

If we talk of mere mortals, Sachin stands tall above the rest. Sachin is untouchable by all other batsmen, just like Bradman is untouchable by Sachin.

artist

Banned
You really are a dead shit.

Anyways, NZ, worse than the Windies it seems.
Aww, cute!
Sheila

Anyways, I dont think we'll reach an agreement here. When Tendulkar retires we'll have a more clear picture.

Top Bottom