• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

BanGy.nz

Banned
speedpop said:
Hah. Wasn't sarcastic or insult. I'm backing the All Blacks for '11 and if you fail I'll be poor!
What makes you think we can win it? we still have a massive problem at first-five, if Carter goes down again we're all sorts of fucked.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mush said:
The All Blacks are chokers. It's a proven scientific fact.
Didn't choke at the first World Cup.

BanGy.nz said:
What makes you think we can win it? we still have a massive problem at first-five, if Carter goes down again we're all sorts of fucked.
Whilst that is true, NZ hardly lose at home. They are simply too strong. We're talking about a team effort that is stronger than the form of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, or Man Utd at Old Trafford. All they need to do is realise that they don't need Carter to win a match.

It's kind of a laugh to say it but the All Blacks will only ever win a World Cup at home.

tri_willy

unfortunately there will always be 2-3 batsmen in the kiwi lineup that will always fuck em up. its their weakest link thus far.

artist

Banned
Hah, WI just barely managed to hold on in that game and tie the series. Next summer Aus should schedule ZIM instead of WI, atleast these guys put up some fight. :D :lol

Kryten

I won't pretend - with Taylor on the possibly injured list, we'll take whatever advantage Australia will give us. So thanks skank! (could someone arrange for Hussey to go home as well?)

AAK

Holy shit

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/451196.html

The inquiry committee looking into Pakistan's disastrous tour to Australia has recommended a string of harsh punishments against a number of Pakistan's senior-most players, ranging from heavy fines to bans.

The recommendations have still to be approved by the board chairman - and they could yet be turned down - but Cricinfo has learnt that the committee has called for the Akmal brothers and Shahid Afridi to be fined for various misdemeanours and for Shoaib Malik and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan to be banned for up to a year from international cricket.

If implemented the measures are likely to represent some of the harshest punishments taken against Pakistan players and will further throw the composition of Pakistan's squad for the World Twenty20 into considerable disarray. None of the players, it is believed, are certain to make the 15-man squad for the tournament at this moment.

The six-man committee completed its report last week and sent it to Ijaz Butt. The chairman held a meeting with the selection committee on Monday in which he debriefed them on the contents of the inquiry committee's report. He warned the selectors - now headed by Mohsin Khan - that he had "shocking news" for them and proceeded to inform them of the details of the report.

Pakistan's winless tour to Australia began promisingly, but swiftly deteriorated after the second Test in Sydney, where the tourists suffered a shocking defeat. Thereafter the touring squad unraveled; first the Akmal brothers seemed to openly challenge the touring management, Kamran insisting he would play in the final Test at Hobart despite the board having released a statement saying he would be dropped.

Younger brother Umar was at the centre of a brief storm, in which it was alleged that he had feigned an injury and refused to play in Hobart if his brother was dropped. The report recommends fining the brothers between Rs 2-3 million and that they be put on a probationary period for their behaviour after the Sydney Test.

The tour ended with Afridi being banned by the ICC for two games after he was caught biting the ball in a bid to tamper it in the last ODI in Perth. The report calls for a similar fine and that he also be put on a probationary period during which he not be considered for the captaincy. Afridi was Pakistan's Twenty20 captain but that status now is in doubt.

The situation for Rana and Malik is altogether more serious; both have been accused of significant breaches of discipline. Though the specifics are unclear, it is thought that the pair had problems with Mohammad Yousuf, who was captain for the Tests and ODIs. Yousuf and Malik have long been at odds with each other and the pair engaged in another slanging match soon after returning to Pakistan. Malik has consistently been at the centre of accusations of intrigue and factionalism within the team since he was removed as leader last year.

Sources told Cricinfo that Butt is incensed with the players and is willing to go through with all the recommendations. At the meeting with the selectors he told them to prepare a squad for the World Twenty20 but to keep question marks over this group of players and to keep their options open. The squad was due to be announced on Monday but will be delayed, at the very least, to next week; the selection committee has filtered down the probables to 21 for now.

Butt has urged the selectors to look for fresher faces, telling them that he intends "to give a lesson to these players and convey to them the message that nobody is indispensable."

The trickiest decision may well be over the captain of the squad. Malik and Afridi seem to be out of the picture now; Younis Khan and Yousuf do not play the format and are not in the probables. Amazingly that could leave Misbah-ul-Haq, should he be picked, as a candidate and though some TV reports said his name had been put forward by the selectors, attendees at the meeting said no names had yet been discussed.

No discipline at all. What a disgrace. Umar/Afridi/Malik are all so talented as well. Pity.

Meliorism

You should link to neat videos that illustrate the awesomeness of the sport. Either that or I could stop being lazy, but I definitely prefer the former.

AAK

Nihilism said:
I've never seen a cricket game. Is it neat?

Also, am I an idiot for confusing cricket for croquet?

I definitely hated cricket for the vast majority of my life. I come from a country that is so insane about it and treated like a religion that I had no choice but to detest it with no remorse. I thought it was absolutely retarded having a sport that is turn based and events where teams play for 5 days and ending up drawing the match 90% of the time. I also failed to see the athleticism and instead brushed it away as a snoozefest.

Only recently did I realize how much of a challenge the game really is along with its depth. In the end there is a lot of strategy and mind games with how the field is placed/direction the bowler directs/etc. But you could also say it might be athletically and choreographically equivalent to a chess match. Once you grasp certain aspects you can actually appreciate it.

But it is also unfortunate how many international teams suffer from politics and misdemeanor when there is an abundance of talent. Yes, I'm looking at you "so called" Twenty20 champions.

DeSo

Banned
Grug said:
Got to say that (accents aside), the Kiwi commentators are top notch.

Extremely even and unbiased.
Sarcasm?

I guess it's not showing with Australia in cruise control.

Maccas

Bias is okay if it is acknowledged.

The Channel 9 commentary are (mostly) a joke, play at being even while contending Aus batting on a minefield and the opposing team batting on a belter.

Also if Mark Taylor was permanently struck dumb I would sacrifice my first born.

Vettori is a god by the way, they should just clone him 10 times and the Kiwis would win everything.

Grug

tri_willy said:
if this is true, my opinion for pup will increase.

To be honest, the cricket aspect of the story is fairly low down on my radar... it is the Brisbane Lions aspect that has my attention.

Not condoning what Fevola did, but it was 3 years ago and Bingle's motives are suspect beyond belief.

If the AFL suspends him for this, it will be a massive win for the tabloid media and the way they can manipulate and contrive events to convert scandal into $$$.

AAK

tri_willy said:
holy wow @ yousuf and younis gone from pakistan. pakistan cricket is fucked now

It's only in Pakistan where a man can become a national hero to a public criminal overnight.

Look for my 'Bond FTW!' banner at tomorrows game in Wellington! :lol

I just hope it doesn't rain/NZ play a whoooooole lot better than they did at the 20/20 in Wellington.

tri_willy

and the IPL starts... kolkata getting owned by deccan atm

fucking redbacks, cant hold a fucking innings together. utter disgraceful!!! smith with 7 in the 2nd innings. this man is turning out to be a real find for nsw thus far. a great asset for the aussies in the future no doubt

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
and the IPL starts... kolkata getting owned by deccan atm

fucking redbacks, cant hold a fucking innings together. utter disgraceful!!! smith with 7 in the 2nd innings. this man is turning out to be a real find for nsw thus far. a great asset for the aussies in the future no doubt
Hyderabad loses it in the end .. disappointed. Gilly really got them to a winning position yet some how they managed to lose it. They should've finished off KKR within 100 when they got 4 of them pretty cheaply.

BanGy.nz

Banned
How... how did we... I mean how did you... what just... what the... what just happened?! Black Caps should have been destroyed.

All right!

It was my banner that gave them the edge. :p

Bond waved at us but I doubt he even knows what 'FTW' means. :lol It was only fitting he'd get the winning wicket.

Still, had lots of fun.

tri_willy

well done on kiwis getting back a win. shit batting by the aussies in the end.

amazing innings by yusuf pathan thus far. prob better than afridi in this format i reckon

tri_willy said:
amazing innings by yusuf pathan thus far. prob better than afridi in this format i reckon

Yeah its agreat knock, but I don't know if he'll get the support to push them over the line, Mumbai could do with H. Singh on the field( I'm sure the Aussies will be happy, it was Tait that did it.)

Grug

Comfortable century for the whiny bitch.

Irfan am cry.

Drove home at maximum speed from work hoping to watch him knock up the ton but my cat foiled my mission with a cunning ruse by sleeping on my TV remote and I missed out by mere seconds by the time I realised.

Ah well.

Top Bottom