• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Zapages

Well it looks like Pakistan have extremely small chance to make into the semis:

If England Defeats New Zealand tomorrow and Pakistan beats South Africa then they are through because they currently have better run rate than both NZ and SA.

Anyway WI were really impressive today against India as now India seems that they are out of the tournament unless Australia totally destroys Sri Lanka today.

artist

Banned
And with that both India & Pakistan on their way back. :lol There was a banner in the crowd, something along the lines of "India hurry up and pack your bags, Pakistan will give you a ride back home". :D

Despite today's good showing Windies have been too inconsistent. Their win against (decent looking) England in that shortened game was also lucky. Both SL & Aus are easily the two best teams of this group and should sail to the semis barring any horror games.

SL v Aus coming up, No.1 v No.2 of the group. Should be a good match.

Zapages

irfan said:
And with that both India & Pakistan on their way back. :lol There was a banner in the crowd, something along the lines of "India hurry up and pack your bags, Pakistan will give you a ride back home". :D

Despite today's good showing Windies have been too inconsistent. Their win against (decent looking) England in that shortened game was also lucky. Both SL & Aus are easily the two best teams of this group and should sail to the semis barring any horror games.

SL v Aus coming up, No.1 v No.2 of the group. Should be a good match.

So true... At least Pakistan has outside chance to go through the next round... But its funny overall. It'll be real funny that SL gets knock out and it is WI, Eng, NZ, Aus in the Semis... The clear favorites will be Eng vs Aus return of the Ashes once again! :lol

artist

Banned
Zapages said:
So true... At least Pakistan has outside chance to go through the next round... But its funny overall. It'll be real funny that SL gets knock out and it is WI, Eng, NZ, Aus in the Semis... The clear favorites will be Eng vs Aus return of the Ashes once again! :lol
Doesnt look like it though. Aus are 67/5 with the new guy Suraj running through the Australian top order ..

Zapages

irfan said:
Doesnt look like it though. Aus are 67/5 with the new guy Suraj running through the Australian top order ..

Randiv is bowling excellently!!! But we have to remember Aussies have a good bowling line up as well.

It'll funny it'll India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka all winning the T20 WCs. Then Bangladesh will need to win it next time whenever that is to complete South Asian dominance in this fomat. lol:lol

artist

Banned
White on song here, those consecutive two straight sixes were pure bliss. I may not have enjoyed a six more than this in months. Great follow through as well.

Zapages

it looks like SL is collapsing 30/3

EDIT: 49/5

India might have the same chance as Pakistan if this continues...

EDIT2: SL is ouch land right now... 73/6

83/8, let's see if they can make it to 100... India might have a real good chance next week.

Zapages

SL all out at 87...

India is in the some what of a same position as Pakistan for their group... :lol

Code:
Group E
Teams 	Mat 	Won 	Lost 	Tied 	N/R 	Pts 	Net RR 	For 	Against
England 	2 	2 	0 	0 	0 	4 	+1.176 	319/39.3 	276/40.0
New Zealand2 	1 	1 	0 	0 	2 	-0.300 	290/40.0 	302/40.0
South Africa 2 	1 	1 	0 	0 	2 	-0.650 	299/40.0 	325/40.0
Pakistan 	2 	0 	2 	0 	0 	0 	-0.215 	279/40.0 	284/39.3

Group F
Teams 	Mat 	Won 	Lost 	Tied 	N/R 	Pts 	Net RR 	For 	Against
Australia 	2 	2 	0 	0 	0 	4 	+3.250 	352/40.0 	222/40.0
Sri Lanka 	2 	1 	1 	0 	0 	2 	-0.600 	282/40.0 	306/40.0
West Indies2 	1 	1 	0 	0 	2 	-1.075 	307/40.0 	350/40.0
India 	2 	0 	2 	0 	0 	0 	-1.575 	290/40.0 	353/40.0

Managed to watch the entire New Zealand vs Pakistan match live (I'm sick and can't sleep lol), man what an exciting game. Couldn't believe we were able to pull off the victory on the last ball. :D

Zapages

Nice to see Pakistan win... Now if ENG beats NZ, Pakistan will go into the next round... So go Eng!!!

PS: Once again SA have chocked in the tournament.

Zapages

Pakistan through to Semies against Australia... It was fun ride while it lasted... I don't know about our chances against them though. lol

Thanks England for taking care of NZ for us. :lol

The run rate stats: :lol :lol :lol :lol

Group E
Teams Mat Won Lost Tied N/R Pts Net RR For Against
England 3 3 0 0 0 6 +0.962 472/58.4 425/60.0
Pakistan 3 1 2 0 0 2 +0.041 427/60.0 421/59.3
New Zealand 3 1 2 0 0 2 -0.373 439/60.0 455/59.1
South Africa 3 1 2 0 0 2 -0.617 436/60.0 473/60.0

Zapages

What an amazing win by Sri Lanka today. India is out of the tournament once again without a single win in the Super 8s...

Its going to be interesting Semi-Finals.

Pakistan vs Australia (rematch of WC 1999 and bunch loses against the Australian team for the Pakistani team)

England vs Sri Lanka (Two power house teams with a good batting line up against each other). Also Sri Lanka has great spinners as well.

artist

Banned
Yeah, India out with a really bad performance. I mean SL was looking to only get 144 but won the game too. Kapugedera take a bow.

I think both matches are one-sided unless we some sort of real mess up or one player take the game by the scruff.

Australia >>> Pakistan
England >> Srilanka

Its looking like we're setup for the ashes rivals in the final.

Zapages

Pakistan almost did it... Well I can't say I am upset, but we should have played fast bowler the last over. Afridi has no brains in captaincy for sure. :|

Nice job to the Aussies to doing well!!! They deserve it at the end.

master15

Holy shit, I couldn't watch the game but seeing live scorecard via cricinfo was nail biting stuff.

Michael Hussey haters politely eat some crow (You know who I am looking at ;))

from cricinfo said:
John Arlott had written about it in 1948 at the end of a successful tour of England by Don Bradman's men. ""Australianism," wrote Arlott, "means single-minded determination to win - to win within the laws but, if necessary, to the last limit within them. It means where the 'impossible' is within the realm of what the human body can do, there are Australians who believe that they can do it - and who have succeeded often enough to make us wonder if anything is impossible to them. It means they have never lost a match - particularly a Test match - until the last run is scored or their last wicket down."

I said a couple of months ago in this thread that I would rather watch Mike Hussey bat over Sachin Tendulkar. I still stand by that statement.

4, 6, 6, 4, 6 were the last 5 deliveries Hussey faced, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Australian cricket is definitely back win, lose or draw in the final. Australia are still the best cricketing nation by a mile when you consider all forms of cricket and aspects of cricket.

AAK

Zapages said:
. Afridi has no brains in captaincy for sure. :|

Common, you can't slam a performance based on one over. Ajmal did wonders in last overs in the previous games.

We have to face it, Hussey would have won that match against any bowler. But I can finally be satisfied with the performance by the Pakistan team.

artist

Banned
chicko1983 said:
I said a couple of months ago in this thread that I would rather watch Mike Hussey bat over Sachin Tendulkar. I still stand by that statement.
I would take sublime class of pure perfection over rare brillances :p In other words different strokes ..

chicko1983 said:
Australian cricket is definitely back win, lose or draw in the final. Australia are still the best cricketing nation by a mile when you consider all forms of cricket and aspects of cricket.
Right. If you are supposed to believe some of the fools in here, the only format that matters - India is the No.1 side. :lol :lol :lol T20 is not even a format.

Again, thats the fool's opinion, not mine. I believe in all formats of the game.

This has got to be the second most exciting match for Australia in the last 20-30 years.

AAK said:
Common, you can't slam a performance based on one over. Ajmal did wonders in last overs in the previous games.

We have to face it, Hussey would have won that match against any bowler. But I can finally be satisfied with the performance by the Pakistan team.
Really? Also Pakistan batted well and bowled real poorly. Even Bangladesh would have gone for the kill after 7 wickets were down. :lol

Yagharek

irfan said:
Right. If you are supposed to believe some of the fools in here, the only format that matters - India is the No.1 side. :lol :lol :lol T20 is not even a format.

I havent checked the Test rankings in a while, so I assume India/England/S.A are ahead of Australia? Or at least thats the top 4 there in any case.

I know the Test ranking is done officially now, but back in the eraly 90s I always thought it was a case of current form or most recent result against another team. West Indies were the benchmark until 1995. The changeover occurred when Australia beat W.I in the W.I.

At the moment we have no such clear cut #1 side.

Australia beats India in Australia, and vice versa.
South Africa beat Australia in Australia, and Aus beat S.A in South Africa :lol
England beat Aus in England, and vice versa.

I admit to not knowing the status of Ind/SA/Eng matches against each other.

My own inkling is that those 4 teams are very evenly poised right now, with no clear leader.

irfan said:
I would take sublime class of pure perfection over rare brillances

Hussey closes out games often enough for them not to be considered "rare brillances".

You and I like completely different styles, irfan. I think that Tendulkar's textbook style is not as entertaining as someone like Hussey or Sehwag. I go to the cricket to be entertained.

irfan said:
Right. If you are supposed to believe some of the fools in here, the only format that matters - India is the No.1 side. T20 is not even a format.

I am trying really hard to enjoy T20, I still like tests the most but T20 definitely wont go away so if you cant beat 'em...

irfan said:
This has got to be the second most exciting match for Australia in the last 20-30 years.

Some of the games that surpass last night off the top of my head:
The Windies semi final world cup 1996, sth africa draw WC99, bevan's winning runs off last ball v windies, the ashes second test 2005, windies win 92 test in adelaide (I was there and my mum still brings up that I was crying after mcdermott was given out caught behind when it clearly came off his helmet).

Yagharek

Actually I think mcdermott has since confirmed it did hit his wrist or glove.

Dont forget the Australia-India test win in Sydney a few years ago. Epic finish with Clarke's bowling spell. :D

And the Hobart test match vs pakistan I think with Langer and Gilchrist going nuts on the final day.

artist

Banned
chicko1983 said:
Hussey closes out games often enough for them not to be considered "rare brillances".
Bad choice of words on my part. He pulled Australia out of the dump twice in this tournament so far but still its not a regular occurance than say Tendulkar scoring a 50 or more score.

chicko1983 said:
You and I like completely different styles, irfan. I think that Tendulkar's textbook style is not as entertaining as someone like Hussey or Sehwag. I go to the cricket to be entertained.
Hussey is good but clearly not as entertaining as Sehwag. Hussey is closer to a Tendulkar than say Sehwag.

chicko1983 said:
I am trying really hard to enjoy T20, I still like tests the most but T20 definitely wont go away so if you cant beat 'em...
T20 is a different ball game just like the ODIs. Since we've all accepted ODIs as a format, why not T20. Why be like the old hags that refused to recognize the Kerry Packer series? I'm not specifically going after you but after the idiots. ;)

chicko1983 said:
Some of the games that surpass last night off the top of my head:
The Windies semi final world cup 1996, sth africa draw WC99, bevan's winning runs off last ball v windies, the ashes second test 2005, windies win 92 test in adelaide (I was there and my mum still brings up that I was crying after mcdermott was given out caught behind when it clearly came off his helmet).
Those are all great games. IMO, the WI semi against SA is the most exciting one and this one is a close second with the 96 semi against WI as the third.

artist

Banned
Also got to point out that the whiny bitch is the worst Australian player in this squad. Replace him with ANYONE and this team is almost perfect.

AAK

Dang, this photo just got to me:

459755.jpg

Reminds me of:
80129.jpg

Zapages

Aussies are in trouble now with 24/3 down in 6 overs...

Afridi as a captain placed a very defensive field and on top of that his batting/bowling hasn't been that great in the whole tournament so far. :|

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That Pakistan game the other day pissed me off so much. I went to take a shower at 150 runs with 17 overs done for Australia thinking Pakistan had it in the bag, I come out and see that they lost. WTF

My parents were going on about how the captaincy was really shitty and whatnot.

Zapages

Nice win by England.

Well, I guess Australia peaked too early against Pakistan. England were just dominated throughout the whole series.

artist

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
117397.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Icing on the cake was watching the worst Australian player - the whiny bitch squirm

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
even if its a 2nd string lineup... surely india can't lose to zimbabwe again???
When you have Raina as the captain, the better question is why not? That choice is as bad as whiny bitch as the captain of Australia's T20 team. ;)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Ha! was thinking about going to watch Australia A Vs Sri Lanka A in an unofficial test where im at

Sri Lanka A all out 78
Australia A 288/3

Will go watch the 20/20 game though.

And wtf lol at the one day side.

irfan said:
Fuckers owned, glad that England are coming into their own .. looking good for the WC too.

I know, its very odd England have a one-day team that isn't a joke but lets wait until they play a side that has a decent bowling attack.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah it is truly bizarre. What's even scarier is that this team isn't even fully firing. Pietersen, Anderson and Swann haven't played that well in the last few games :)

vcassano1 said:
Yeah it is truly bizarre. What's even scarier is that this team isn't even fully firing. Pietersen, Anderson and Swann haven't played that well in the last few games :)

English players are not expecting to lose against the Aussies like they looked like they were for most of the last 20-30 years & the Aussies look shit, I know Johnson is injured but the bowling attack is lacking in pace(Tait aside), experience & looking at them, belief.
Having said all this watch the Aussies win the next three game to take the series

Much better bowling performance from the Aussies in the last 2 games, Smith looks like he has potential, Harris was dangerous & the spirit seemed better.

In other news, brace yourselves, the ICC made a good decision. They didn't let the nomination of John Howard to be ICC Vice-President get to a vote.

Top Bottom