• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
Tainted trio admit Majeed paid money, says PCB
for "Sponsorship"

Kill the friccking PCB, bunch of crooks. A PCB member himself admitted that more than half of PCB is involved in this. I wouldnt jump the gun and ask for Pakistan's international status suspension (Gruggy's just butthurt that they won the T20 :lol ) because there are still quite a few good players and they shouldnt be collateral.

artist

Banned
tri_willy said:
wow south australian redbacks must be the dark house of the t20 champions league this year!
And with Australian rep out of CLT20 :lol Davy Jacobs is my fav player of the whole tourney.

Zapages

Looks like Salman Butt was the real culprit.

‘Aamer blamed Salman for spot-fixing scandal’

KARACHI: Just a couple of days after ‘spot-fixing’ allegations were levelled at him and two other Pakistan players, a teary-eyed Mohammad Aamer went to the team management and spilled the beans on Salman Butt — Pakistan’s Test captain.

Sources said on Saturday that the 18-year-old fast bowler told team manager Yawar Saeed and Shahid Afridi, Pakistan’s one-day captain, that he was innocent and just got involved in the scandal because of Salman Butt.

According to the sources, some of Pakistan’s senior players saw Aamer meeting with Afridi. The allrounder later took the youngster to Yawar Saeed and three discussed the issue for some time at the team hotel.

“Aamer told the team management that he wasn’t aware of the gravity of the situation and also claimed that he just followed Butt’s instructions,” said a well-placed source.

Butt, Aamer and another Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif were provisionally suspended by the International Cricket Council (ICC) early this month after a British newspaper accused them of accepting bribes from match-fixers.

News Of The World alleged that Asif and Aamer bowled deliberate no-balls during the fourth Test against England at Lord’s on the orders of match-fixers. British Police briefly arrested player agent Mazhar Majeed, the man at the centre of the scandal.

The trio were questioned by Scotland Yard detectives, who also interview rookie pacer Wahab Riaz later. The players insist they are innocent.

Sources said that Aamer told Afridi and Yawar that he didn’t even know Mazhar Majeed and was introduced to him by Salman Butt.

“Amir told Afridi as well as the team manager that he was completely unaware of what was going on. He asked them to help him get out of the mess,” said the source.

Amir, regarded among world’s best fast bowlers, has received a lot of sympathy from various quarters since the scandal broke almost a month ago.

Several former Test cricketers from around the world have urged the ICC to show leniency to the teenager, who is young and uneducated.

Former greats like England’s Michael Atherton, West Indies’ fast bowler Michael Holding, Australia’s Geoff Lawson, Pakistan’s Ramiz Raja and many others have urged the authorities to somehow save Amir’s international career.

“Whilst I accept, if guilty, there can be no way back for Salman Butt, the captain, or Mohammad Asif, a cricketer who has enjoyed more lives than a cat, I hope the authorities can find a way to give Aamer a second chance. He is a victim in this episode,” wrote Atherton, in one of his articles earlier this month.

Source: http://www.geosuper.tv/news_detail.asp?id=34239

xbhaskarx

Sources said on Saturday that the 18-year-old fast bowler told team manager Yawar Saeed and Shahid Afridi, Pakistan’s one-day captain, that he was innocent and just got involved in the scandal because of Salman Butt.

“Aamer told the team management that he wasn’t aware of the gravity of the situation and also claimed that he just followed Butt’s instructions,” said a well-placed source.

Someone should explain to Aamer what the word "innocent" means...

Also, this is nothing new, the original story named Butt as the one in control:
516_our_man_144419a.jpg

Zapages

xbhaskarx said:
Someone should explain to Aamer what the word "innocent" means...

Also, this is nothing new, the original story named Butt as the one in control:
516_our_man_144419a.jpg

The guy is a 18 year old kid and new on the scene... I mean honestly it seems that he was just following orders. I might be giving him the benefit of doubt to him, but I don't think he is involved as much as Asif and Butt.

In other funny news is that Asif just got married and hopes his wife brings him good luck.:lol :lol :lol

Guys, I've tried watching cricket before, but I'm sort of confused by the rules, are there good youtube video explanation of the rules?

I've been trying to get into sports that are played in other areas of the world. I've found it easier to do business and work with co-workers when you can talk about sports. Now besides the 4 big American sports, a lot of people watch sports like Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket so I'm always trying to expand my repertoire. Plus it's always fun to watch a good game played.

artist

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Guys, I've tried watching cricket before, but I'm sort of confused by the rules, are there good youtube video explanation of the rules?

I've been trying to get into sports that are played in other areas of the world. I've found it easier to do business and work with co-workers when you can talk about sports. Now besides the 4 big American sports, a lot of people watch sports like Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket so I'm always trying to expand my repertoire. Plus it's always fun to watch a good game played.
There are quite a few videos on YouTube, let us know if you still cant find one ..

What a wasted oppurtunity by India, dropped Watson so many times .. tsk tsk Loved the Ponting run out and the exchange there after .. pure comedy gold. :lol

artist

Banned
Mitchell J fifer means the no.4 side has a small lead. Nice debut by Raina. Apart from Laxman's frail back and the bump catch, it was a pretty good day of cricket.

Zapages

Has anyone here tried playing online cricket, its like playing old SNES/Flash cricket with friends or strangers in real time with 5 over matches... One of my friends showed it to me, you could pay to get higher levels or you can just play have fun. Its fairly addicting game. :D

http://howzat.com

LOL at the achievements and the stat tracking it has in it. :lol

master15

What a fight back by Australia. At one stage with Tendulkar and Raina running rampant I thought they were going to post a huge lead.Some extremely slopping fielding and catching by the Aussies also. Watson's drop catch, I mean, seriously.

Lucky North got the breakthrough perhaps the only useful thing he has contributed to the match thus far.

Zapages said:

Thanks asshole, wasted 2 hours with this ;)

artist

Banned
Watson gone, nice one by Shanty.

edit: Ponty pointed back to the pavilion too. Shanty is going to redeem himself? :lol

Grug

Second innings collapses are becoming our trademark.

Need to get this shit ironed out in time for the Ashes.

elfinke

Hauritz is getting a nice bit of turn out of this pitch. Glad I worked today, gives me tomorrow off as a day in lieu. Will spend the morning playing some games, then afternoon watching Australia win this test :D

tri_willy

india losing quick wickets in their chase... katich drops a toughie... makes for an interesting 5th day when tendulkar still on the crease. north and hauritz should be dropped imo

master15

Looks like India inherited the 2nd innings collapse bug from the Australians.

I still think Australians are a few runs tio short, and frankly speaking until I see Sachin and oddly enough Harby back in the sheds, I wouldn't be counting me chickens just yet.

Tomorrow should be very interesting final days play. I agree North needs to go.

North will probably get one more chance next test, make a century on a flat wicket, and be in the starting 11 for the ashes. That's how it's been for him his whole career - one or two poor games from being dropped, yet still managing to hang on to his spot.

Grug

Haven't been watching the game as AFL Trade Week has kept me entirely captivated but based on Cricinfo, Tendulkar and Laxman look like they can guide them home.

Will happily take the loss if it results in North getting the flick. The Ashes is all that matters in to me in Australian cricket in the next 6 months or so (I want that fucking urn), and I don't want him in our best 11 when it comes time to win it back. He's just too flaky.

Like CharliePants, I will be pissed if North flat track bullies his way into the selectors' goodbooks again in the next game. Pull the plug now and give someone else a chance.

master15

Huge run out, Dhoni goooooone!

Laxman remains the danger man, especially with Harby in the wings

Edit: Harby is now back in the sheds :D

elfinke

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Hrmmmmmmmmm this will be good if we can pull of a win......... just for Irfan bitter tears.

irfan said:
Yep, you have two batsmen with a bad back and a bad leg .. got to give credit to the no.4 side.

Hahaha, as if by design...

Been a good sessions play this last one. Between raging in Monday Night Combat (snipers, GARHSDJSGDBKAGSD) and withdrawing from troublesome uni courses, this has provided the light entertainment I have needed.

Front foot no ball and 4 runs isn't much good though, Hilfey!

artist

Banned
^ probably dont know the difference between tears and acknowledging the game when its over. ;) If you wanted bitter tears, look up my Sheila's (Grug) reactions. :p

Grug

irfan said:
probably dont know the difference between tears and acknowledging the game when its over. ;) If you wanted bitter tears, look up my Sheila's (Grug) reactions. :p

????

Can we go one game without you bravely flexing your e-muscles?

Do you actually like cricket or do you just like the opportunity it presents for you to be a brat? Give it a rest ffs.

master15

Yeah I get a bad feeling also. Dougy is supposedly off the field injured. Meaning Hilfy or Johnson needs to fucking step up.

Will Laxman steal another game?

Grug

Gutsy performance by Laxman.

If India get across the line, they deserve the win.

Sick of our batting lineup giving our bowlers shit all to work with in second innings. They deserve the pressure to be on them.

Our dominant era was built on the backs of players who stood up when the pressure was on. Need more of those types. North has to go.

master15

Grug said:
Sick of our batting lineup giving our bowlers shit all to work with in second innings. They deserve the pressure to be on them. North has to go.

While true, if you can't get Sharma out, who while a half decent tail ender shouldn't be hanging around as much as he has you frankly don't deserve to win tests.

Can Pointing knock the mockers off his captaincy record in India?

Grug

master15 said:
While true, if you can't get Sharma out, who while a half decent tail ender shouldn't be hanging around as much as he has you frankly don't deserve to win tests.

Yeah but if the batsmen posted a more respectable total we'd be able to be much more attacking with our bowling approach.

tri_willy

as much as i want the aussies to win, i reckon i will concede defeat now... now the aussie lineup for the next test should ideally look like this, IMHO

katich
hughes
ponting
hussey
clarke
watson
paine
smith
johnson
hilfenhaus
bollinger

hope doug is good to go in the next one

master15

Grug said:
Yeah but if the batsmen posted a more respectable total we'd be able to be much more attacking with our bowling approach.

Time and time again, this current line up has shown inability to clean up the tail and like this test match it could cost them dearly.

I have to say pretty infuriating watching the lack of skillful death bowling here. But got to give kudos to Laxman, son of a bitch.

27 to win. It's India's game to loose now.

Top Bottom