• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
fuck-you.jpg

elfinke

Great finish to an otherwise fairly tepid game.

Bloody Laxman, everytime!

Plumbest non-LBW to balance out Sharmas wrong decision. Well played India!

/despondently goes back to cooking dinner :(

Grug said:
Great finish. Test cricket FTW.

We are in massive agreement here. Damn I love Test cricket.

And the less said about the poor winner above the better...

master15

Funny how complaints and excuses turn to something else.

Congrats India, Australia having them 8 down choked. Simple as that.

Tense and great finish.

very disappointing finish for the aussies.

I clicked on cricinfo at work and saw 120 odd for 8 and thought we had it wrapped up...

And I dont think Ian Gould should be getting a match anytime soon, I reckon I only saw 4 dismissals live and one was the Hussey lbw which pitched outside leg and another was the Sharma lbw.

Gould needs to be sacked or third umpire for lbw needs to be brought in for the next test.

tri_willy said:
as much as i want the aussies to win, i reckon i will concede defeat now... now the aussie lineup for the next test should ideally look like this, IMHO

katich
hughes
ponting
hussey
clarke
watson
paine
smith
johnson
hilfenhaus
bollinger

hope doug is good to go in the next one

I like how hauritz and north are out but you cant drop watson down the order at the moment, maybe bring hughes in at 6???

Or drop huritz and bring in hughes and leave north as the spinner (face it, we practically dont have a spinner anyway).

I wouldnt bowl smith by himself as the sole spinner in his first match, especially in india - it would be a baptism of fire. warne-esque, and hes no warnie.

Grug said:
Haven't been following Hughes much lately. Is he still dodgy with the short ball?

dunno if he still is susceptible but batting in india and coming in at 6 should be alright.

if india want to take off the spinners for preference to the quicks at the no. 6 then the batsmen wouldnt be complaining too much Id think.

artist

Banned
chicko1983 said:
And I dont think Ian Gould should be getting a match anytime soon, I reckon I only saw 4 dismissals live and one was the Hussey lbw which pitched outside leg and another was the Sharma lbw.

Gould needs to be sacked or third umpire for lbw needs to be brought in for the next test.
I think thats a bit harsh. Billy B also had his share of bad calls this test and even the third umpire made the unexplicable decision on Dhoni's wicket in the first inning. I think I would rate the test as 'ok' in terms of umpiring as they were some really good decisions but there were a few bad ones too. Gould also didnt give out some plumb lbws on Katich and other Aussies fyi ..

Grug

chicko1983 said:
dunno if he still is susceptible but batting in india and coming in at 6 should be alright.

if india want to take off the spinners for preference to the quicks at the no. 6 then the batsmen wouldnt be complaining too much Id think.

Will be interesting to see.

A perceived weakness to the short ball stopped Michael Bevan's test career from ever really taking off. Hughes will need to address it.

artist

Banned
Punter is such a good sport, where is the spirit of winning against the best?

"Even with that [bad back] today he showed what sort of class player he is," Ponting said. "He has been a bit of a thorn in our side there's no doubt about that, I guess him and Sachin [Tendulkar] would be the two who've done the most damage over the years, a couple of guys who've played a lot against us and have got good records against us. I hope his back's pretty sore for next week as well and he can't play."

I'm guessing that he has hopes that Morgan, Peiterson and all other key brits are also injured for the upcoming Ashes.

irfan said:
I'm guessing that he has hopes that Morgan, Peiterson and all other key brits are also injured for the upcoming Ashes.

speaking of which, cant wait for the Ashes, the true rivalry of the sport and unmatched between any two nations.

irfan said:
I think thats a bit harsh. Billy B also had his share of bad calls this test and even the third umpire made the unexplicable decision on Dhoni's wicket in the first inning. I think I would rate the test as 'ok' in terms of umpiring as they were some really good decisions but there were a few bad ones too. Gould also didnt give out some plumb lbws on Katich and other Aussies fyi ..

there is always some sort of controversy when playing Indians: when you win there has to be some dodgy umpiring against them and and when you lose the umpiring was "ok".

The umpiring was pathetic. Billy's non lbw at the end of the match was also abismal.

They need a tv umpire in tests badly. If they want the correct decision to be made and the winner fairly decided, video umpiring is the only way to go.

Let me guess, it was the BCC's decision to not have video umpire for this series:
http://www.cricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2010/content/story/474858.html

yep, seems so. DODGY!

master15

Well to be fair there were poor umpiring decisions for both sides. Hussey got a raw call and it was pretty apparent Ojha was plumb.

Yet by the same token Sharma should have never been given out LBW and same could be said for Gambhir at the start of the innings.

I do think it stupid though the referral system wasn't used as I think it would have prevented most of these mistakes.

master15 said:
Well to be fair there were poor umpiring decisions for both sides. Hussey got a raw call and it was pretty apparent Ojha was plumb.

Yet by the same token Sharma should have never been given out LBW and same could be said for Gambhir at the start of the innings.

I do think it stupid though the referral system wasn't used as I think it would have prevented most of these mistakes.

yep, there were bad decisions made on both sides. but in this day and age, video umpiring needs to be used in all test matches so no bad decisions are made. If you want to play fairly, and give neither team an advantage due to a decision being incorrect, then you have to use the video umpire.

Especially as all the technology required for the URDS is available in India, its just that the BCCI does not want it for this series.

My question is: why would the BCCI not use the technology if it is available?

The most obvious conclusion is usually the correct one...sadly, in the current climate of match fixing, I dont think it is a good advertisment for cricket.

artist

Banned
chicko1983 said:
there is always some sort of controversy when playing Indians: when you win there has to be some dodgy umpiring against them and and when you lose the umpiring was "ok".

The umpiring was pathetic. Billy's non lbw at the end of the match was also abismal.
You dug your own grave, look at master15's post. There were bad decisions for both sides, but the umpiring was ok because both umpires especially Billy B got some real good decisions especially the not outs right. If you look at how many they got wrong out of the total decisions, then end result is "ok". Believe me this was no Sydney shame neither was it bastion of great umpiring.

In regards to the UDRS not being used, the decision by BCCI baffles me too. But there are a few old schmucks like Gavaskar in BCCI who believe umpiring should be done all on the field .. conventional traditional cricket as they call it.

Grug

Sehwag's luck runs out.

He's entertaining to watch though. Similar to those innings where Gilchrist played with murderous intent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/9077934.stm

Indian Premier League expels two teams in ownership row

Two teams have been thrown out of cricket's Indian Premier League (IPL) for breaching ownership rules.

Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab have both had their franchises terminated by the governing Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

Both teams took part in the first three editions of the Twenty20 tournament but the BCCI have given no further details regarding the breaches.

The BCCI also warned the new Kochi team to resolve their ownership dispute.

The cash-rich tournament holds auctions each year to recruit top players from around the world.

Rajasthan Royals won the inaugural tournament in 2008, captained by Australian legend Shane Warne, who said the news about the team's future was "shattering".

The Punjab team, which had been bought for $76m (£47m) in 2008, included Sri Lankan stars Kumar Sangakkara and Machela Jayawardene, Australian pace bowler Brett Lee and India's Yuvraj Singh.

In a statement, BCCI said: "It was unanimously decided that franchise agreements with Punjab and Rajasthan be terminated forthwith based on legal opinions obtained by the BCCI in the matters."

Kochi are one of two new franchises being added to the competition in 2011, Pune being the other.

"It was further unanimously decided to issue a notice to Kochi calling upon them to resolve all their disputes and form a joint venture company which will hold the IPL franchise rights," the statement added.

The ownership issues came to light while the BCCI were investigating financial irregularities by former IPL chief Lalit Modi, who was removed from involvement in Indian cricket in September 2010 following corruption allegations.

He said the BCCI's actions showed "total disregard for franchisees" and that they had "lost the ability to administer sensibly."

One of the co-owners of the Royals, Raj Kundra, said the BCCI's actions had put the future of the whole competition in doubt.

"I don't see IPL 4 happening if the BCCI treats other teams like this," he said.

"The termination of the contract by BCCI is shocking. We are seriously thinking of a legal action. We need to see a copy of the termination notice and study it."

master15

Dominating performance by Sachin. I didn't get a chance to see this but it seems like our toothless attack really went the distance.

This has been asked multiple times, but what are Australian spin options presently?

master15

I am aware of Smith, I don't think they wanted to give him a baptism of fire quite yet :lol

On the game, wow India collapsed near the end. Big question will Australia collapse or actually put a fight in 2nd innings. Need a score from Punter.

tri_willy

master15 said:
Dominating performance by Sachin. I didn't get a chance to see this but it seems like our toothless attack really went the distance.

This has been asked multiple times, but what are Australian spin options presently?

i guess ponting forgot about fucking KREJZA!!! the guy whose debut figures were hilariously 8/215, but guess being leaky as hell didnt help.

we've got crap spin stocks at the moment, cullen bailey (leggie) from south australian aint doing good, there's a steve o'keefe (left arm orthodox) who hasnt had much first class. apologies for any perceived bias, but i havnt had a look at other states...

tri_willy said:
i guess ponting forgot about fucking KREJZA!!! the guy whose debut figures were hilariously 8/215, but guess being leaky as hell didnt help.

we've got crap spin stocks at the moment, cullen bailey (leggie) from south australian aint doing good, there's a steve o'keefe (left arm orthodox) who hasnt had much first class. apologies for any perceived bias, but i havnt had a look at other states...

Is it true that at the Aussie academy, they don't show young bowlers the Doosra as they(not sure if it is coaches or board-members) think it is an illegal delivery?

tri_willy said:

Krejza is still playing good cricket, best spinner in Sheffield Shield last year, but I have heard from a very good source (a current CA contract holder no less) that there was a dressing room incident with Krejza and Ponting.

It ended with Ponting said Krejza will never play another match for Australia again.

I cant reveal my source as it will be unfair to him but PM me and I can tell you what happened.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Is it true that at the Aussie academy, they don't show young bowlers the Doosra as they(not sure if it is coaches or board-members) think it is an illegal delivery?

It would have been illegal before the 14 deg allowance has come in, so now it is only borderline illegal, and also it is no longer possible to call a no ball for throwing in game. If an umpire believes the delivery is a throw, he has to take it to the match review. But the match review cant determine if it is a throw from a replay if the bolwer is wearing a long sleeve shirt.

Notice how every bowler who can "bowl" a doosra also wears a shirt past his elbow....???

If anyone can show me a legal doosra (without straightening of the elbow), I'd like to see it.

Rezbit

chicko1983 said:
Krejza is still playing good cricket, best spinner in Sheffield Shield last year, but I have heard from a very good source (a current CA contract holder no less) that there was a dressing room incident with Krejza and Ponting.

It ended with Ponting said Krejza will never play another match for Australia again.

I cant reveal my source as it will be unfair to him but PM me and I can tell you what happened.

Oh man you have to tell me. I have heard (having lived in Tassie after Krejza moved down - small place ya know!) that he is quite the toolbag.

chicko1983 said:
It would have been illegal before the 14 deg allowance has come in, so now it is only borderline illegal, and also it is no longer possible to call a no ball for throwing in game. If an umpire believes the delivery is a throw, he has to take it to the match review. But the match review cant determine if it is a throw from a replay if the bolwer is wearing a long sleeve shirt.

Notice how every bowler who can "bowl" a doosra also wears a shirt past his elbow....???

If anyone can show me a legal doosra (without straightening of the elbow), I'd like to see it.

Every bowler is a chucker, I can't believe 10 years later you Aussies still don't get it.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Every bowler is a chucker, I can't believe 10 years later you Aussies still don't get it.

er, no. Its pretty hard to bowl wrist spin with out a fully straight elbow at the point of delivery.

try it out sometime, chucker.

edit: also, are you saying the doosra is actually illegal or not???

to chuck is to bowl illegally by definition. Do you have to straighten your elbow to bowl a doosra? If so, I would never teach a kid to bowl it. Ever. Damn bad habit to learn. You are basically teaching them to cheat as much as they can without getting caught (unless you can teach someone to not straighten 14deg exactly, which is impossible).

Top Bottom