• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Eh? The everdrives are outstanding tech for very reasonable prices.

I remember the days of 128mbit flash carts for the GBA retailing for £200. And don't get me started on the copiers previously available for the SNES and N64, fucking hell. Shitty clunky unreliable shit that cost the equivalent of two or three everdrives each.
I don't know comparatively. My flash cart experience consists entirely of the days of dirt cheap R4's. I guess that warped my expectations.

Rich!

I don't know comparatively. My flash cart experience consists entirely of the days of dirt cheap R4's. I guess that warped my expectations.

Right. And the benefit of cheap hardware there is what?

If you want to backup your games, you want reliable hardware.

-KRS-

I like these entries in the FAQ on the 64drive website regarding the price:
Why does this cost more than the carts for, say, GBA?
Look inside one of those GBA cards sometime. You won't find much. They're mass produced in huge volume, with custom ASICs, and benefit from an inherently simple design. The 64drive is far more complex than these, both because of parts costs and efforts to provide a polished product. Trust me, I made it ;) The price is well justified.

I can play all these games on my computer
That's nice.

I wouldn't pay more than $40 for this.
You probably wouldn't buy it anyway.

These flashcarts for retro hardware are made in small numbers for a niche market and have more complex and intricate hardware designs. Of course they're going to be more expensive. And what does the Everdrive cost? $99? That's not that expensive if you buy a lot of games anyway.

Peagles

I like these entries in the FAQ on the 64drive website regarding the price:

These flashcarts for retro hardware are made in small numbers for a niche market and have more complex and intricate hardware designs. Of course they're going to be more expensive. And what does the Everdrive cost? $99? That's not that expensive if you buy a lot of games anyway.

We were definitely spoiled with the DS, as it broke out of niche market and you could get one for a fiver or less that functioned just fine. Whereas $99 USD + international shipping means an Everdrive (PCB only) will cost me at least $150 NZD, which is a lot of money (for me anyway, a couple of days wages, nearly equal to my rent for the week...).

I can definitely see why people think they are expensive.

Edit: Just looked up the price outta interest, it's actually $115 USD since you have to add a CIC. That would bump it up to my rent for the week (and I pay expensive rent too lol).

-KRS-

Yeah that's true. I didn't really think about other currencies. $99 is 662 SEK right now, which is just 63 SEK more than the price of a new PS3/4 game.

Cormano

Stopped by my local Half Price Books in Dallas, Tx and someone just unloaded a hell of a collection there. Lots of rare and unusual stuff. I grabbed Indiana Jones for $25, but if anyone sees anything they want, let me know and I will swing back by here tomorrow and get it and be more than happy to send it to you at cost.

image-62.jpg

I got this one at my HPB

I44H79G.jpg

after the positive experience ive had with my everdrive for snes, ive ordered one for n64 this morning

along with the rgb modded n64 that apparently arrived this am, i'm set for a fun week ahead of me :)

Rich!

after the positive experience ive had with my everdrive for snes, ive ordered one for n64 this morning

along with the rgb modded n64 that apparently arrived this am, i'm set for a fun week ahead of me :)

Make sure you update to the newest firmware/system menu. It kicks ass.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's been one year since I made this thread. I've been buying up a LOT of video games within the past year or so. The scope of this has been bigger than I originally intended it to, but I think I'm at least 90%-95% of where I want to be with my retro video game collection.

N64 is still a work in progress. Doing some more research about which games I want to buy. I'm probably also going to get BitBoxes for the whole collection once StoneAgeGamer makes them available. Probably won't have manuals for anything but Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Click here for the full album.

Fox Mulder

Prices like that make me consider an Everdrive.

And then forget it when I check their prices.

I don't think the price for Conker BFD is that bad really. It was a late release that likely got a smaller run. Everything these days is $60, I didnt mind paying $70 for it.

I don't like seeing common 10 million sellers like Mario kart 64 or Mario 64 going for $30 or so though.

Peagles

I don't think the price for Conker BFD is that bad really. It was a late release that likely got a smaller run. Everything these days is $60, I didnt mind paying $70 for it.

I don't like seeing common 10 million sellers like Mario kart 64 or Mario 64 going for $30 or so though.

Depends where you live. For some reason in NZ/Aussie BFD is hideously expensive.

Might have something to do with the $150+ original RRP. Which is why I couldn't buy it at launch, lol. We used to hire it.

Grizzo

You guys are so lucky to have these cool looking colored carts (like for Rayman 2, Rocket or Earthworm Jim). All we ever got in Europe was those boring gray ones. Except Majora's Mask, which is gold, and Turok 2 which is black.

Depends where you live. For some reason in NZ/Aussie BFD is hideously expensive.

Might have something to do with the $150+ original RRP. Which is why I couldn't buy it at launch, lol. We used to hire it.

Yeah, the PAL version cost around 100 euros (just for the cart). That's really expensive.

NR1

image-92.jpg

Just picked up Rocket: Robot on Wheels and Wipeout 64 at Half Price Books. This is a different location than the one I posted about earlier. Felt I couldn't go wrong with these... Right?

xclaw

image-92.jpg

Just picked up Rocket: Robot on Wheels and Wipeout 64 at Half Price Books. This is a different location than the one I posted about earlier. Felt I couldn't go wrong with these... Right?

Great pickups! I'm on the hunt for a reasonable priced Robot on Wheels myself.

baphomet

I have a handful of RGB N64s for sale currently in case anyone is interested. I need to sell a few really quick so I have bare consoles for $70 shipped and console and power brick for $80 shipped in the us. Pm me if you're interested in one. I have plenty of feedback from members who have purchased from me on here if needed.

NR1

Just scored a copy of Mischief Makers for $8 at Entertainmart in Arlington, TX. I never see this game in the wild, so I was very surprised to see it and for so cheap. Also picked up Smash Bros. for $50. I can't believe that game has held its value as well as it has.

image-100.jpg

Just scored a copy of Mischief Makers for $8 at Entertainmart in Arlington, TX. I never see this game in the wild, so I was very surprised to see it and for so cheap. Also picked up Smash Bros. for $50. I can't believe that game has held its value as well as it has.
No, like all N64 games, SSB didn't cost anywhere near $50 ten years ago; N64 game prices have gone up a lot in the last generation or so, and popular ones like SSB naturally have ended up on the higher end pricewise.

NR1

No, like all N64 games, SSB didn't cost anywhere near $50 ten years ago; N64 game prices have gone up a lot in the last generation or so, and popular ones like SSB naturally have ended up on the higher end pricewise.

Are you sure? I actually bought SSB for the N64 back when it was release at Best Buy, but I could have sworn it was $49.99...

I sold my copy when Melee came out in 2001 on the Cube, because I felt Melee was the definitive version (still do), but I now I completely regret having done that.

Are you sure? I actually bought SSB for the N64 back when it was release at Best Buy, but I could have sworn it was $49.99...

I sold my copy when Melee came out in 2001 on the Cube, because I felt Melee was the definitive version (still do), but I now I completely regret having done that.
Of course SSB was full price back when it released, but my point was that the price for used copies went down for a while during the Gamecube era, before going up later as N64 game prices rose. For a while the N64 was a pretty cheap console to collect for.. but it hasn't been for the last few years, for sure!

psychotron

Check out what I got today for free....

QTsuYrE.jpg

As much as I hate to, I may end up selling these games to recoup some money from unexpected bills. Children are expensive, lol. What do you think would be a good asking price in U.S. dollars for the entire lot?

I'm trying to avoid it. Idk, I'll see if I can get the wife off my back.

As much as I hate to, I may end up selling these games to recoup some money from unexpected bills. Children are expensive, lol. What do you think would be a good asking price in U.S. dollars for the entire lot?

Welp, Paper is $30+, Conker is $70+... you have quite a bit of value there.

In other news... anyone have any recos on places to find N64 games in the Los Angeles area?

I'm trying to avoid it. Idk, I'll see if I can get the wife off my back.
You got all those for free? How? I'll take the lot for $100.

psychotron

You got all those for free? How? I'll take the lot for $100.

lol, no thanks. I think I'm going to keep them. I HATE selling old school games. Modern games I have no problem getting rid of, but I don't like ditching the classics. I should ask the wife to sell off one of those damn handbags that costs a fortune.

Tsk tsk... should've held onto it and signed it or something, then sold it.

The reason it sold for as much as it did is because of the popular youtube video. I don't think he's losing any sleep over it, because there's no reason to believe anyone would care about the video some 8 years later.

Caladrius

Yo, do you guys have recommendations for controllers?

I bought a random brand from a local store and the control stick snapped off after a week of intensive use.

Yo, do you guys have recommendations for controllers?

I bought a random brand from a local store and the control stick snapped off after a week of intensive use.

Yeah... 1st party only. And double check that they didn't use it on Mario Party before buying it (the stick should feel firm).

Fox Mulder

smash bros launched at $49.99

it also sold like 5 million, so not an uncommon game. You can stumble on it at goodwill or yard sales instead of paying $50 for a loose cart.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Anyone have recommendations for an Everdrive 64 repair? I decided to be cheap and purchased it without the CIC chip because I had some experience with soldering, but I ended up flubbing it up badly. I don't think the main board is damaged, but the CIC chip is, and the solder is a mess. I didn't have a desoldering tool at the time, you see. Now I don't even know where my soldering iron is.

televator

too small and you can't comfortably play Bangaioh or Mischief Makers on it :/

one of the posters here swears by the HoneyBee/Competition controller for N64, but that D-Pad looks bunk IMO.

That's why I said IMO. I'm aware that the controller is on the small side, but I still find it preferable to the bunch of bananas feel of the stock controller. The stick and D pad are sooo good (better than stock), and the buttons are all accesible to the thumb and feel just as good as the original.

-KRS-

Anyone have recommendations for an Everdrive 64 repair? I decided to be cheap and purchased it without the CIC chip because I had some experience with soldering, but I ended up flubbing it up badly. I don't think the main board is damaged, but the CIC chip is, and the solder is a mess. I didn't have a desoldering tool at the time, you see. Now I don't even know where my soldering iron is.

If nothing else I'd probably ask Krikzz about it. He's a friendly dude from what I've heard. Explain the situation and he can probably give you some advice or maybe even fix it for you.

NR1

Finally decided to do something with the organization and presentation of my SNES and N64 collection. SNES carts have been loose and in a small Rubbermaid case for decades, and the N64 titles have been in some nice plastic cases, a couple of huge crappy Performance cases, and loose for years. No more! Grabbed the artwork from The Cover Project and some Universal Game Cases to clean them both up!

image-111.jpg

image-112.jpg

image-113.jpg

I remember coming come one day from school and my mother had throw away all the boxes and manuals for my SNES collection... She told me that the cardboard boxes weren't suppose to be kept and that they would attract cockroaches. If I was suppose to keep them, then they would have come in plastic cases. She also said that since I already knew how to play my games, that the manuals were worthless...

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Where'd you buy the cases from? I've wanted to do that for a while now.

Ntsouls

Banned
I really am not a huge fan of this system anymore. I grew up with it. But....there realy isn't much it has to offer.

I'm more into the psx becuase I was never there growing up.

Top Bottom