• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony & Pentax can create all the cameras they want. Canon's next line is supposedly Mirror-less. game changer!

20110714_01.png

Flo_Evans

planar1280 said:
Sony & Pentax can create all the cameras they want. Canon's next line is supposedly Mirror-less. game changer!

20110714_01.png

hmmm... "mount adapter"? wonder if it will support DSLR lenses or canon will pull another canon.

I would LOVE it if Nikon made a mirror-less body that would work with F-mount lenses. It doesn't look like that is going to happen though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Radec said:
Very doubtful that Canon can release a game changer now.

The only way they could change the game is if they released a comprehensive system of lenses and a feature rich body with a Full Frame sensor. Any lens would have already been done by Olympus, Panasonic and Sony. So I agree. If they impossibly release a mirrorless with a Full Frame sensor my bowtie would spin.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I prefer optical viewfinders, what I am wondering is why camera makers still don't use a OLED or LED Backlit LCD for the back screen? On some level they should both improve battery life for the DSLR and provide better looking images.

As we are talking about game changer, I bet Canon will make their first short (smaller than 200mm) Prime lens with IS soon. It is not for the photographers, but for the movie makers that have been pining for IS to have the shallow depth of field without the horrible "camera shake."

Flo_Evans

reggieandTFE said:
There is no optical viewfinder, it's an EVF.

So is the viewfinder a live view of the main sensor all the time? Why even have a mirror then?

Seems like its more of a prism, sending some light up to the AF sensor? That would allow some nice autofocus during video... pretty sweet. But I would miss an optical viewfinder for you know, taking pictures.

Sounds neat and I'd love to play with one, dunno if I want one though.

tino

Banned
Radec said:
Very doubtful that Canon can release a game changer now.
Both Canon and Nikon will introduce their 2.5X mirror less system about the same time. They are "game changers" because Canon and Nikon control most of the high end photography market.

luoapp

tino said:
Both Canon and Nikon will introduce their 2.5X mirror less system about the same time. They are "game changers" because Canon and Nikon control most of the high end photography market.

I really don't see the appeal of a 2.5x mirrorless "system". I'd rather see them upgrade their premium p&s cameras.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
tino said:
I would laugh my ass off if canon released a sensor around 2.5x like it looks like nikon is going to.

tino

Banned
luoapp said:
I really don't see the appealing of a 2.5x mirrorless "system". I'd rather see them upgrade their premium p&s cameras.
A "2.5X" system has much bigger sensor than premium point and shots.

I expect the "2.5X" systems will take over the $500-$1000 market 5 years down the road.

tino

Banned
captive said:
I would laugh my ass off if canon released a sensor around 2.5x like it looks like nikon is going to.
Well all Japanese camera makers sleep in the same bed. I would laugh if they don't do it within 6 month of each other.

olbareun

tino said:

The fact that they are making it 2.5x to not have it consume their entry level dslr market makes it not a game changer imo.. their last release (600D) was pretty meh too.

VNZ

Flo_Evans said:
So is the viewfinder a live view of the main sensor all the time? Why even have a mirror then?

Seems like its more of a prism, sending some light up to the AF sensor? That would allow some nice autofocus during video... pretty sweet. But I would miss an optical viewfinder for you know, taking pictures.
Yes, that is indeed the premise of the Sony "SLT" (Single Lens, Translucent mirror) range. I'm quite impressed by all the innovation Sony has put into these cameras, but yeah it's a bit of a discomfort to move away from the optical viewfinder. However, I'm really curious to see what kind of more "rich" info and digital focusing screens the EVF cameras will feature in the near future.

captive

tino said:
Well all Japanese camera makers sleep in the same bed. I would laugh if they don't do it within 6 month of each other.
I would only laugh because of all the canikon people that hate on 4/3 and m4/3 for their small sensor. according to some with a 2.5x sensor it would be damn near impossible to get shallow depth of field. I couldn't care less what they actually do with the sensor size.

luoapp

tino said:

I expect the "2.5X" systems will take over the $500-$1000 market 5 years down the road.

If Canon's next camera after G12 can have a f/2 aperture, there is really no place for a "2.5x" system.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
luoapp said:
I really don't see the appeal of a 2.5x mirrorless "system". I'd rather see them upgrade their premium p&s cameras.

I agree, it would be cool for them to upgrade the "G" series cameras to APS-C sensors with a fixed prime lens, like a canon version of the Fuji X100. Also having a mirror-less APS-C system like the Sony NEX would be cool, but the EF adapter better have autofocus.

tino said:

I hope not, I could see mirrorless APS-C cameras like the NEX dominating the under $1000 market, but 2.5x, no thanks. I want Nikon, Sony, and Canon to put bigger sensors in camera bodies, not smaller ones.

Flo_Evans

VNZ said:
Yes, that is indeed the premise of the Sony "SLT" (Single Lens, Translucent mirror) range. I'm quite impressed by all the innovation Sony has put into these cameras, but yeah it's a bit of a discomfort to move away from the optical viewfinder. However, I'm really curious to see what kind of more "rich" info and digital focusing screens the EVF cameras will feature in the near future.

Have you checked out the fuji x100? It has a pretty tricked out "HUD" that can superimpose itself over the optical rangefinder and can go full EVF if you want. pretty neat. I suspect the sony system isn't bright enough for an optical VF. Wonder how the AF performance will be? It has to be better than nikons attempt for live view AF with the d7000 (basically worthless) but how will the system preform in demanding AF situations for photos?

captive

Hcoregamer00 said:
I hope not, I could see mirrorless APS-C cameras like the NEX dominating the under $1000 market, but 2.5x, no thanks. I want Nikon, Sony, and Canon to put bigger sensors in camera bodies, not smaller ones.
The problem is that most of the people buying entry level cameras and m4/3rds cameras don't care about the sensor size. If you started talking to them about it their eyes will just glaze over.

tino

Banned
captive said:
I would only laugh because of all the canikon people that hate on 4/3 and m4/3 for their small sensor. according to some with a 2.5x sensor it would be damn near impossible to get shallow depth of field. I couldn't care less what they actually do with the sensor size.
Well snobbery folks like me will still buy the NEX and laugh at the smaller-penis/sensor people. :p

This just showed up:

6029916093_b59fbdd765_b.jpg

What is the best website to upload photos to? Tried Picasa but it looked like crap once uploaded, so this is from flickr.

BlueTsunami

MaizeRage25 said:
What is the best website to upload photos to? Tried Picasa but it looked like crap once uploaded, so this is from flickr.

min.us is great for single photos and its a site that won't compress the photo but generally I use Flickr for my main stuff.

East Lake

luiztfc said:
What about photography books for beginners? I plan on buying the following on Amazon, but I'd appreciate if you could list books that taught something to you or your favorite photography books (in the artistic sense).

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3 (pack)

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera - Bryan Peterson

Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography - Bryan Peterson

The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography Series)
The volume of technical information in Ansel's series would be daunting for someone starting out, might want to read that one later on. Also keep in mind it was written with film in mind, although it's still worth reading if you shoot digitally.

luiztfc said:
What about photography books for beginners? I plan on buying the following on Amazon, but I'd appreciate if you could list books that taught something to you or your favorite photography books (in the artistic sense).

The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression by Bruce Barnbaum.

Mercutio

If Canon released a cut down NEX style camera that had an APS-C sensor and used EF mount lenses, I'd buy two.

But they won't. Le-Sigh.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Mercutio said:
I think I'd personally disagree on that build assessment. I felt as if I was touching a bit more plastic on the 7D, and the bottom in particular seemed to be a little less solid than the way the 5D's magnesium plates wrap underneath.

Really, really close, but having used both I'd give the slight edge to the 5D. I also prefer the movie mode start system on the 5D, mostly because I feel as if I'm moving the camera a little more when I start recording on the 7D as opposed to the SET button.

That said, I think it's very much a YMMV kind of thing; they're both head and shoulders above any other Canon DSLR I've used... particularly in the grip area.

A minor quibble about the 7D's design though... I strongly dislike the flash pop mechanism. I understand it's very interested in giving you flash when the full Automatic system demands it, but come on Canon... this is a Pro body! I much preferred my D200's mechanical flash pop button.
My main complaint against the 5D build quality is the CF door. Over time it starts to creak and shift when applying pressure there. The 7D was rock solid when I tried one out, and the CF door mechanism was spring-loaded which was a nice touch. Also really like the viewfinder eyecup on the 7D, it keeps your face from pressing up against the LCD all the time. The 7D grip also fits much nicer in the hand compared to the the 5D.

But really, it just comes down to the 7D being newer than the 5D2 by quite a bit. I've no doubt that all these subtle tweaks to usability will be present in the 5D3.

Hcoregamer00 said:
As we are talking about game changer, I bet Canon will make their first short (smaller than 200mm) Prime lens with IS soon. It is not for the photographers, but for the movie makers that have been pining for IS to have the shallow depth of field without the horrible "camera shake."
If they're serious about filmmaking, they shouldn't be handholding the camera directly anyways. It's quite simple to get rid of the sensor 'judder'.

Radec

tino said:

Unless those can use their existing EF-Mount and F-Mount without any adapter, then it will be great. But if will go the other way, they won't be able to reach Sony's NEX 1.5x (APS-C) sensor.

All we have seen from those 2 are bunch of patents.

Mercutio

XMonkey said:
My main complaint against the 5D build quality is the CF door. Over time it starts to creak and shift when applying pressure there. The 7D was rock solid when I tried one out, and the CF door mechanism was spring-loaded which was a nice touch. Also really like the viewfinder eyecup on the 7D, it keeps your face from pressing up against the LCD all the time. The 7D grip also fits much nicer in the hand compared to the the 5D.

But really, it just comes down to the 7D being newer than the 5D2 by quite a bit. I've no doubt that all these subtle tweaks to usability will be present in the 5D3.

If they're serious about filmmaking, they shouldn't be handholding the camera directly anyways. It's quite simple to get rid of the sensor 'judder'.

Yeah, I think there's no question the 5D Mark II will resemble the 7D more than the 5DII.

Also, funny you should mention the CF door... the first 7D I had was actually victim to a CF door that wasn't properly seated. It moved quite a bit. The second 7D was fine though.

The eyecup is a good point, the 7D's is padded a good deal more and your eye is definitely back further. I actually think that this wouldn't work so well on the 5D; the viewfinder is so big that you NEED to be closer to it. Being the distance of the 7D eyecup, you wouldn't get the full view.

What's really strange is that I actually think the 7D is more similar in shape to the original 5D than the 5D II.

sidebyside.jpg

The 5D is more "squared" and defined in many angles, including the left side grips and the pentaprism area. Strange, no?

VNZ

Flo_Evans said:
Have you checked out the fuji x100? It has a pretty tricked out "HUD" that can superimpose itself over the optical rangefinder and can go full EVF if you want. pretty neat.
I would love to try the X100 out. What I'm really hoping for though is that they release an interchangable lens camera based on it, as "poor man's M9" (or M8 if they have to go with APS-C sensor).

Flo_Evans said:
I suspect the sony system isn't bright enough for an optical VF. Wonder how the AF performance will be? It has to be better than nikons attempt for live view AF with the d7000 (basically worthless) but how will the system preform in demanding AF situations for photos?
The A55 and A33 have been out for a year now, as the first two cameras with Sony's translucent mirror design. And they do feature some interesting features not really possible on cameras with a moving mirror at their price points. I mean, 10fps continuous shooting in a camera in the same price range as Canon's 600D is impressive. The great thing about the design is that all the mirror is there for is reflecting some percentage of the incoming light to the AF system, the rest goes to the sensor. And since the mirror never moves the AF system is always online. So essentially, those cameras are always in live view mode, but with proper phase-detection AF. One design challenge this brings is of course battery life and heat build-up.

Speaking of which, I heard some time ago that Olympus had a new sensor coming where some of the photo-sites essentially were replaced by phase-detection AF spots. Anyone know if that design is put into production yet?

milkham

XMonkey said:

not sure if you're talking about the 5d or the 5dmk2 but i bought my 5d second hand and as soon as i took it out of the box the CF door started annoying me, it just feels poorly done. my rebel xt cf door doesnt make a sound.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
luoapp said:

How many people have Canon or Nikon gear but want a mirrorless to be more 'compact' and portable? They are risking losing people with significant investments into their systems.

Release a nice, competitive mirrorless back, a few decent compact lenses to make the mirrorless system self-sufficient, and make it compatible with their full range of EF-S lenses via an adapter.

that right there would stop almost all of the people moving across to rival brands. No game changer, but it'd be a strong addition to their lineup IMO

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone got a micro 4/3 with panasonic 14-140 or 45-200 and use a macro/closeup adapter with it? Want to get a bit more macro but don't do it enough to justify the dedicated panasonic macro lens.

Heard the raynox 150/250 get recommended, but how about the Panasonic LC55?

Also looking for recommendations for a fast portrait prime for m4/3. I liked the 85mm 1.8 on my canon, so with the slightly higher crop of the m4/3 thats probably around a 50/60mm? 1.8 or faster would be good.

Radec

Assuming if they go to the adapter route, if they don't include AF, then no buy for me.

Sony's NEX + Adapter + A Mount lens is pretty slow to focus. I wonder if they change it on the NEX 7

there's rumoured to be a new A-to-E-mount adapter coming soon that'll use the SLT's pellicle mirror technology to offer phase detection autofocus on the NEX. that would be...pretty great.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
milkham said:
not sure if you're talking about the 5d or the 5dmk2 but i bought my 5d second hand and as soon as i took it out of the box the CF door started annoying me, it just feels poorly done. my rebel xt cf door doesnt make a sound.
5D2. It's more of a nitpick, though, and doesn't constantly bug me. For a camera that costs over $2,000 I expect it to be rock solid.

Radec

345triangle said:
there's rumoured to be a new A-to-E-mount adapter coming soon that'll use the SLT's pellicle mirror technology to offer phase detection autofocus on the NEX. that would be...pretty great.

that would be glorious.

I'd use my 85mm f/1.4 with pride on the NEX7 when both comes out.

:D

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
mrklaw said:
How many people have Canon or Nikon gear but want a mirrorless to be more 'compact' and portable? They are risking losing people with significant investments into their systems.

Release a nice, competitive mirrorless back, a few decent compact lenses to make the mirrorless system self-sufficient, and make it compatible with their full range of EF-S lenses via an adapter.

that right there would stop almost all of the people moving across to rival brands. No game changer, but it'd be a strong addition to their lineup IMO
I'd be on board with a Nikon mirrorless if it had a great pancake (35 or 50 equivalent) and an official F-mount adapter. I want a small camera, but nothing on the market is the right fit yet. I have zero interest in diving down the rabbit hole of another ecosystem and the x100 is way too much for a complementary piece. Hopefully, Nikon can thread the needle.

Flo_Evans

All this talk of the 7d vs. the 5dII has made me make a bad mistake. I had my buddy bring over his Nikon D700 to compare to my D7000.

GAH!! why did I do this? I mainly wanted to see how my 105mm lens would feel mounted on a FF body (it felt fucking good) the extra bulk mated to the heavy lens perfectly. The shutter released with an authoritative *CLACK* the viewfinder, good lord! I have officially spoiled myself!

I don't know what I am gonna do when nikon announces the new F800.

On a side note he also had a 50mm 1.4G that I tested vs. my 1.4D. Results somewhat surprising! The older D actually focused much faster than the internal servo. The older lens was slightly (pretty much a tie) sharper wide open, but had WAY worse chromatic aberration on high contrast areas. The G has slighter better background blur, as expected with the curved blades. The D also seems to let in slightly more light, I didn't have a tripod handy, but the G would often go one setting longer in aperture priority mode. When I switched to manual mode the D snaps where again brighter.

Flo_Evans

MRORANGE said:
this question more or less gets asked every single page, surprised there is no Neogaf buyers guide to camera's.

At that price range there is not significant differences in quality, go look at some in the store and buy the one that you like best.

In general for small point and shoot cameras, I think canon is hard to beat. I just tell people to get the best canon P&S they can afford, works out pretty well.

BlueTsunami

Flo_Evans said:
All this talk of the 7d vs. the 5dII has made me make a bad mistake. I had my buddy bring over his Nikon D700 to compare to my D7000.

GAH!! why did I do this? I mainly wanted to see how my 105mm lens would feel mounted on a FF body (it felt fucking good) the extra bulk mated to the heavy lens perfectly. The shutter released with an authoritative *CLACK* the viewfinder, good lord! I have officially spoiled myself!

I don't know what I am gonna do when nikon announces the new F800.

On a side note he also had a 50mm 1.4G that I tested vs. my 1.4D. Results somewhat surprising! The older D actually focused much faster than the internal servo. The older lens was slightly (pretty much a tie) sharper wide open, but had WAY worse chromatic aberration on high contrast areas. The G has slighter better background blur, as expected with the curved blades. The D also seems to let in slightly more light, I didn't have a tripod handy, but the G would often go one setting longer in aperture priority mode. When I switched to manual mode the D snaps where again brighter.

The D700 is a very nice no frills camera. The IQ I've seen from it is real good. If the mount adaptability of the Nikons were better I would probably jump from Canon to the D700.

equap said:
can I mount a Leica lens on anything else other than a Leica M9 camera??

You can mount Leica M lenses (Rangefinder) on Mirrorless cameras. There's also Leica R (for the former SLR body) lenses that can be mounted to Canon. These lenses are generally larger than their Rangefinder counterparts and are different designs but are still exceptional optics.

The only thing you have to worry about is mounting wide focal lengths to a Mirrorless body. Sony seems to have solved this issue with the NEX 3C but mounting a lens wider than 35mm will show smearing in the corners and color vignetting (shifting of hues in the corners).

RapidCancel said:
Can anyone recommend a good point and shoot? Preferably under $200.

You know what? I'd say these days you can't really for wrong with a camera at that price. Fuji, Sony, they'd all be pretty much equal generally speaking. I guess try a couple in a shop and see what UI you like, how it feels in your hands, software that comes with it if required.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MRORANGE said:
this question more or less gets asked every single page, surprised there is no Neogaf buyers guide to camera's.

Honestly, I think it would be handy. It would definitely stop thread regulars from having to get upset at noob questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom