• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
aidan said:
So... buying used equipment. What do you guys think? I want to upgrade to a 7D, but can't really afford to drop $1,700.
Buying an used pro gear is safe. I have a 10 year old DSLR.

You can consider getting the 50D for maximum cost to performance ratio.

MRORANGE

chaostrophy said:
I just wish there was a NEX equivalent to Nikon's inexpensive but supposedly nice 35/1.8 DX.

sony's 35mm 1.8 + mount adapter?

sony-la-ea2-adapter.png

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
aidan said:
Good to know. Thanks!

If you're looking into used gear I think the original 5D would be a great fit for your style of photography. Of course it doesn't have the latest AF, Live View, swivel LCD or video but it has a large bright viewfinder and great FF IQ.

MRORANGE

More news/rumours on Mirrorless Nikon

-There is a good chance that more than one version/model of the new mirrorless camera wil be announced at the same time
-The camera body will be very small, very compact, with a clean industrial design
-Built-in high resolution EVF
Many video features
-Compatible with F-mount lenses
-The sensor will be slightly smaller than Micro Four Thirds (probably 17mm in diameter, 2.6x crop factor)
-Four lenses to be released, one of them will be a pancake, the second will be a super zoom
-Phase and contrast-detect AF
-Camera code/project name: X810
-Similar clean design like the Coolpix P300.
-The camera will not have any dials on the top plate.
-Speaker will be located on top plate.
-There will be a pop-up flash and/or flash hot shoe for external flash.
-The new mirrorless lenses may have electronic zoom buttons (see this patent).
-There will be some functionality that will be introduced for the first time in a mirrorless camera.
-The camera will probably be available in different colors.

http://nikonrumors.com/#ixzz1VE5kOa40

j

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
tino said:
Buying an used pro gear is safe. I have a 10 year old DSLR.

You can consider getting the 50D for maximum cost to performance ratio.

BlueTsunami said:
If you're looking into used gear I think the original 5D would be a great fit for your style of photography. Of course it doesn't have the latest AF, Live View, swivel LCD or video but it has a large bright viewfinder and great FF IQ.

Thanks, guys. Looking locally, my options seem to be:

7D (+extra battery, good shape) -- $1,200
5D (+extra battery, good shape) -- $950
50D (+extra batter, good shape) -- $700

Large viewfinder, improved usable ISO (on my Rebel XT, which is barely usable past 400) and IQ are the most important things. Stuff like swivel LCD and liveview are nice, but not something I'm concerned about.

luoapp

jiji said:
Mining that luxury-compact dad-camera market, I see. That and the Pentax Q make up a segment irrelevant to advanced users.

The IQ of Pentax Q is pretty bad. Nikon surely can do better though.

sneaky77

aidan said:

Large viewfinder, improved usable ISO (on my Rebel XT, which is barely usable past 400) and IQ are the most important things. Stuff like swivel LCD and liveview are nice, but not something I'm concerned about.

I have a 50D I think is a good camera, I just got it last yr and I am very happy with it.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I'm happy now, new parts for the broken gh1 came yesterday. Had to remove the back cover, top cover, evf pcb and audio pcb all just to replace the stupid clock battery. And as of today it still works.

Borman

Buy a refurb from Canon! Or, better yet, use their Canon Loyalty Program! Pick up a cheap, broken Canon point and shoot for 10 bucks or less, and get a 7d for 1080$

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=948785

Anyone not buying new should consider this. I got my 5d2 refurbished from Canon for 1880 or so after tax during a sale (as its not on the CLP), and it had all of 160 pictures taken on it, so it was basically new.

Prices :
Canon XS - $319.99 (Removed from Program March 31, 2011)
Canon XS with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $319.99 (Price cut from $399.99 April 1, 2011)

Canon T1i - $415.99
Canon T1i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $479.99

Canon T2i - $447.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $511.99. Price cut March 1, 2011)
Canon T2i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $511.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $575.99. Price cut March 1, 2011)

Canon 40D - $559.20 (Removed from Program March 1, 2011)
Canon 40D with 28-135 IS Kit Lens - $719.20 (Removed from Program March 1, 2011)

Canon 50D - $562.69 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $719.20)
Canon 50D with 28-135 IS Kit Lens - $665.09 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $839.20)

Canon 7D - $1,087.20 (Price increased to $1,119.20 briefly in early November 2010, but reduced back to original pricing in December 2010)

tino

Banned
aidan said:

Go for the 5D if the shutter count is not too high. Its viewfinder will destroy 7D's.

Zyzyxxz

Borman said:
Buy a refurb from Canon! Or, better yet, use their Canon Loyalty Program! Pick up a cheap, broken Canon point and shoot for 10 bucks or less, and get a 7d for 1080$

Canon 7D - $1,087.20 (Price increased to $1,119.20 briefly in early November 2010, but reduced back to original pricing in December 2010)[/B]

Holy shit, that is pretty crazy price on a 7D.

Makes me wish I didn't have a D90

Borman

Its a great deal, and it comes with a short warranty anyway, which you wont get used. Considering most people get like-new cameras, I wouldn't be buying used unless it was a better deal than that.

Borman

You missed the recent sale, it was a bit more than the CLP price was, but it was still great. I paid 1699 plus tax and shipping for mine (which put it closer to 1900)

aidan

Borman said:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=948785

Anyone not buying new should consider this. I got my 5d2 refurbished from Canon for 1880 or so after tax during a sale (as its not on the CLP), and it had all of 160 pictures taken on it, so it was basically new.

Prices :
Canon XS - $319.99 (Removed from Program March 31, 2011)
Canon XS with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $319.99 (Price cut from $399.99 April 1, 2011)

Canon T1i - $415.99
Canon T1i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $479.99

Canon T2i - $447.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $511.99. Price cut March 1, 2011)
Canon T2i with 18-55 IS Kit Lens - $511.99 (Added to Program Feb 1, 2011 @ $575.99. Price cut March 1, 2011)

Canon 40D - $559.20 (Removed from Program March 1, 2011)
Canon 40D with 28-135 IS Kit Lens - $719.20 (Removed from Program March 1, 2011)

Canon 50D - $562.69 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $719.20)
Canon 50D with 28-135 IS Kit Lens - $665.09 (Price cut March 1, 2011 from $839.20)

Canon 7D - $1,087.20 (Price increased to $1,119.20 briefly in early November 2010, but reduced back to original pricing in December 2010)

You probably won't know this, but is this available in Canada? There are fewer options for buying cameras up here.

:(

tino said:
Go for the 5D if the shutter count is not too high. Its viewfinder will destroy 7D's.

20,000. Is that high?

golem

Borman said:
You missed the recent sale, it was a bit more than the CLP price was, but it was still great. I paid 1699 plus tax and shipping for mine (which put it closer to 1900)
At this point I'm pretty set on holding out for a 5d3 and hope they don't jack up the price. Already had a 5d2 but sold it, but miss the full frame goodness.

tino

Banned
aidan said:
You probably won't know this, but is this available in Canada? There are fewer options for buying cameras up here.

:(

20,000. Is that high?

Doesn't sound that bad. If 5D fails, it will be the mirror come loose. Just pay attention to it.

tokkun said:
You don't need the new adapter. the 35mm f/1.8 works with NEX cameras using the existing adapter and supports AF.
yeah, not the fastest AF in the world but it does the job, and the combination isn't too bulky. sony's 35 1.8 is a really fantastic lens, especially for the price.

mcrae

hey guys. im seriously considering investing in a dslr, my friend has one with a portrait lens (i guess), spent around 1300 all told, and the thing takes beautiful pictures, effortlessly. vibrant colors + sharp vivid images, so muhc better than the cheap cameras ive used in the past.

what kind of stuff would i be looking at in the 800$ range? is there a good price to performance ratio slightly above or below that amount? is buying used an option?

edit: anything on this list worth a shot?
http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/f-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-W0QQCatIdZ103QQminPriceZ400

kind of want to make an impulse purchase for this weekend, but kind of scared to as well, lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
mcrae said:
hey guys. im seriously considering investing in a dslr, my friend has one with a portrait lens (i guess), spent around 1300 all told, and the thing takes beautiful pictures, effortlessly. vibrant colors + sharp vivid images, so muhc better than the cheap cameras ive used in the past.

what kind of stuff would i be looking at in the 800$ range? is there a good price to performance ratio slightly above or below that amount? is buying used an option?

Used is the way to go for you. Try a Rebel T2i. Perfect starter DSLR and totally under your price range.

golem

WanderingWind said:
So, Canon controls their flow of info like Apple then? Lots of rumors and not a lot of facts.
Canon and Nikon are pretty tight lipped. The smaller players seem to leak more consistently

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
golem said:
Canon and Nikon are pretty tight lipped. The smaller players seem to leak more consistently

I really want to jump on a 7D, but I think I'll just wait and see what next year brings.

Guys I have a safari trip coming up in april next year and I need to budget in potential camera gear. Right now I only have the stock lens and a 50mm 1.8 prime. I was thinking of a zoom lens, but also wouldn't mind a wide for landscape photography.

I can't afford both!

golem

Pixel Pete said:
Guys I have a safari trip coming up in april next year and I need to budget in potential camera gear. Right now I only have the stock lens and a 50mm 1.8 prime. I was thinking of a zoom lens, but also wouldn't mind a wide for landscape photography.

I can't afford both!
I was actually planning on going on safari this year but didn't make it. The lens I looked at the most was the 100-400mm Canon, for that extra reach (over the 70-200mm I already have).

I think for landscapes you should be reasonably ok with the kit lens or 50mm as long as they are decently sharp copies. You may want to look up/practice a technique call hyperfocal distance for your landscape shots..

tokkun

Pixel Pete said:

I can't afford both!

Spend the money on a telephoto lens. Most kit lenses are already pretty wide. If you think you need something super-wide, you can try one of those wideangle converters on your kit. The quality isn't going to match a true high quality super-wide lens, but they are 1/10 - 1/20 the price. I suppose if you are out on the plains you could probably just get away with stitched panoramas.

luoapp

Pixel Pete said:

I can't afford both!

Buy one, rent one. Problem solved.

luoapp

Soi-Fong said:
Here's a picture of my baby. I call her Natasha.

A 1D Mark IV w/ a 70-200 f2.8L

[/IMG]http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/Asane99/QF1N0028.jpg[/IMG]

this, plus a 1D Mark II.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All, I have a question, I was looking at getting prints of my panoramic photos and the resolutions are:

NYC 4801 x 1368
Seattle 3553 x 1483

Shutterfly says I am good to print these through them at 20x30, will they look good at that size? Or will they be too blurry? They are two different resolutions too but it says 20x30 for both....

The site says they will look fine, and they have a happiness guarantee, so I guess I could always go for it.

Here are the photos (Via a Droid X nonetheless)
Seattle
59251_787678004970_16908535_44631070_3655806_n.jpg

Times Square
2011-01-14_18-56-50_250.jpg

BlueTsunami

Deadly Cyclone said:
All, I have a question, I was looking at getting prints of my panoramic photos and the resolutions are:

NYC 4801 x 1368
Seattle 3553 x 1483

Shutterfly says I am good to print these through them at 20x30, will they look good at that size? Or will they be too blurry? They are two different resolutions too but it says 20x30 for both....

The site says they will look fine, and they have a happiness guarantee, so I guess I could always go for it.

Here are the photos (Via a Droid X nonetheless)
Seattle
59251_787678004970_16908535_44631070_3655806_n.jpg

Times Square
2011-01-14_18-56-50_250.jpg

High resolution photos upsample well but one thing you have to consider is viewing distance. You may notice blurriness if you're gonna view these panoramic photos as you would a 5x7 (up to your face). If you put some distance between you and the photo and it should look fantastic.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
BlueTsunami said:
High resolution photos upsample well but one thing you have to consider is viewing distance. You may notice blurriness if you're gonna view these panoramic photos as you would a 5x7 (up to your face). If you put some distance between you and the photo and it should look fantastic.

Hmm, well my plan was to make them black and white and put them in frames above my TV and behind my couch. One of my graphic design friends thought they would look blurry at that size vs resolution, so I thought I'd ask here too.

aidan

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, well my plan was to make them black and white and put them in frames above my TV and behind my couch. One of my graphic design friends thought they would look blurry at that size vs resolution, so I thought I'd ask here too.

No to black and white. Especially the NYC shot!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
aidan said:
No to black and white. Especially the NYC shot!

Ah, well I was trying to match the color scheme I am going for in my apartment and wanted two black and white panoramic shots above my couch and TV! :p

EDIT: Maybe ill do them in black and white for the big versions, then also get color versions.

luoapp

Deadly Cyclone said:

Viewed at arm's distance, I think you need at least 100dpi (dots per inch). Thus NYC 48 x 13.7 and Seattle 35.5 x 14.8 inch. Those are pretty decent sizes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
luoapp said:
Viewed at arm's distance, I think you need at least 100dpi (dots per inch). Thus NYC 48 x 13.7 and Seattle 35.5 x 14.8 inch. Those are pretty decent sizes.

This was another question, they are both different resolutions but the photo site offers 30x40 for each, how do they fit these resolutions into that size? Cropping?

AVclub

Is this the right place to ask for recommendation of a good point-n-shoot which also shoots RAW files? I'm considering the Canon S95 or the Fujifilm F550EXR. On the one hand the S95 seems to have better image quality and faster response when shooting RAW. On the other hand the F550 has 15x zoom, 16Megapixel sensor, built in GPS, HD1080P video, and costs less.

I plan to use it for taking quick shots at parties in JPG, and also shooting creative still life/scenery shots using RAW. Plus, I know I'd be using the video features as well here and there.

What does GAF think? Is there something else that would fit my needs better? Compactness is also very important to me.

luoapp

Deadly Cyclone said:
This was another question, they are both different resolutions but the photo site offers 30x40 for each, how do they fit these resolutions into that size? Cropping?

Never ordered prints from shutterfly, but usually they let you crop/edit. Also, shutterfly seems doesn't do real panoramic prints, the longest one is 20x30. You may want to find some website does, so you can print a longer piece.

BlueTsunami

Deadly Cyclone said:

I think they'd look fine at that distance. To shoot, at a native resolution, for these crops would require a high end camera. Even with a 5DMKII would require to be blown up just a bit to meet the size in inches of these prints. But even then the resolution would be wasted if you're not viewing the photos up close.

Deadly Cyclone said:

They'll both definitely be blown up to some degree so what I would worry about is cropping the photos how you want them to be cropped. Throwing the dimensions into Photoshop (or Lightroom, I think can do this) will allow you to crop to the exact dimensions Shutterfly offers.

tino

Banned
AVclub said:
Is this the right place to ask for recommendation of a good point-n-shoot which also shoots RAW files? I'm considering the Canon S95 or the Fujifilm F550EXR. On the one hand the S95 seems to have better image quality and faster response when shooting RAW. On the other hand the F550 has 15x zoom, 16Megapixel sensor, built in GPS, HD1080P video, and costs less.

I plan to use it for taking quick shots at parties in JPG, and also shooting creative still life/scenery shots using RAW. Plus, I know I'd be using the video features as well here and there.

What does GAF think? Is there something else that would fit my needs better? Compactness is also very important to me.
s95 has bigger 1/1.7" sensor, F550 has smaller 1/2" sensor. They are really not in the same class though. I would compare the s95 to the F300exr, and the LX5.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
luoapp said:
Never ordered prints from shutterfly, but usually they let you crop/edit. Also, shutterfly seems doesn't do real panoramic prints, the longest one is 20x30. You may want to find some website does, so you can print a longer piece.

Thanks all.

Any recommendation of a site online for panoramic prints? I guess then I have to worry about finding an odd frame size too.

AVclub

tino said:
s95 has bigger 1/1.7" sensor, F550 has smaller 1/2" sensor. They are really not in the same class though. I would compare the s95 to the F300exr, and the LX5.
Thanks! I'll have a look at the LX5 and F300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom