• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
tino said:
Sorry is going to release a mount adopter for NEX that is MAD COMPLICATED.

I won't be surprised if its more expensive than a Nex-5.

sony-la-ea2-adapter.png

NEX 7 + ZA 135/1.8! NEX Bazooka.

Mercutio

tino said:
Sorry is going to release a mount adopter for NEX that is MAD COMPLICATED.

I won't be surprised if its more expensive than a Nex-5.

sony-la-ea2-adapter.png

32x3.jpg

I kid, I kid. It'll be awesome, but I'd really like to see how they make it even remotely attractive.

tino

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Honestly, I think it would be handy. It would definitely stop thread regulars from having to get upset at noob questions.

Who cares, I am the one who is answering the P&S questions anyway. I will answer it if I feel the person who ask the question has made an effort.

Mercutio said:
I kid, I kid. It'll be awesome, but I'd really like to see how they make it even remotely attractive.

yeah, i mean if that's the actual shape and size of the thing i might as well just carry my a55 instead. i really want it to be awesome though!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
tino said:
Who cares, I am the one who is answering the P&S questions anyway. I will answer it if I feel the person who ask the question has made an effort.

Well, neato for you, bud. In the meanwhile, a general helpful FAQ, GAF style, may help newcomers until you deign a question worthy of your response.

Mercutio

345triangle said:
yeah, i mean if that's the actual shape and size of the thing i might as well just carry my a55 instead. i really want it to be awesome though!

My impression after thinking about it is that this thing is kind of just for existing NEX customers. Betcha the mount plus the NEX are about the same price as an a55 as is. I'm wondering if they'll advertise it as a "Make your camera a big boy camera" kind of thing.

I repeat my plea to Canon: let me put my L lenses on a GF1 style body. Or I will attach them to my iPhone4 instead.

WanderingWind

Mercutio said:
My impression after thinking about it is that this thing is kind of just for existing NEX customers. Betcha the mount plus the NEX are about the same price as an a55 as is. I'm wondering if they'll advertise it as a "Make your camera a big boy camera" kind of thing.

It just sounds so...unwieldy. Who is target market for this, anyway? Pros are going to stay away from it, mid level consumers will opt for a system will less hassle, and amateurs won't give a fuck. Seems like something we'll be talking about in a few years like the Newton or something.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The way AF is handled on the EP3 sounds so awesome. I hope my reading comprehension isn't off but from the sounds of it you should be able to touch a point on the LCD screen and the camera will focus where you touch and quickly. Its removes the need for focus and recomposing if you shoot primarily with AF lenses. AF points are now passe for everyday shooting.

WanderingWind said:
Well, neato for you, bud. In the meanwhile, a general helpful FAQ, GAF style, may help newcomers until you deign a question worthy of your response.

LOL :)

There probably should be one really, as it is a minefield out there if you aren't really sure what you want. I did reply yesterday though saying that generally most $200 P+S cameras are much of a muchness these days generally speaking and you can't really go wrong.

Damaged

Well my Lensbaby Fisheye arrived finally! Took a week after specifying 'next day delivery' so the place refunded my postage and threw in a single lens optic as an apology :)

DSC_0061 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

Build quality seems excellent for such a cheap lens, just going to take a bit of getting used to i think

DSC_0214 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BlueTsunami said:
The way AF is handled on the EP3 sounds so awesome. I hope my reading comprehension isn't off but from the sounds of it you should be able to touch a point on the LCD screen and the camera will focus where you touch and quickly. Its removes the need for focus and recomposing if you shoot primarily with AF lenses. AF points are now passe for everyday shooting.

My G3 does the same, so does the GH2.

you can also set it up to focus and shoot when you press.

spats

Is it OK to have a UV filter on top of a polarizing filter? Or do they interfere with eachother?

edit: What is this foul sorcery? This thing kills unwanted reflections better than I could've imagined.

Mercutio said:

yeah, but you'd think the people most interested in an adapter would be people with a collection of lenses in the first place. if this thing's aimed at NEX users i feel like the R&D would be better spent on actual NEX lenses...

WanderingWind

Damage, two things.

1) That rabbit melted my icy heart
and
2) I've seen ads for that lens all over the place. Let me know what you think!

mrklaw said:
My G3 does the same, so does the GH2.

you can also set it up to focus and shoot when you press.
I do like the Olympus application of the touch screen better because it's capacitive like an iPhone vs resistant touch like a DS.

Radec

Damaged said:
Well my Lensbaby Fisheye arrived finally! Took a week after specifying 'next day delivery' so the place refunded my postage and threw in a single lens optic as an apology :)

[/img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6034867874_3b92f4ba3d_z.jpg[/img]
DSC_0061 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

Build quality seems excellent for such a cheap lens, just going to take a bit of getting used to i think

[/img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/6034864488_59a56ab363_z.jpg[/img]
DSC_0214 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

I've checked your sample photos of that fisheye, does the DoF of that lens that shallow ?

I suppose you can't use the aperture ?

Will you able to take a photo that is sharp on almost 80% of the photo ?

Flo_Evans

Radec said:
I've checked your sample photos of that fisheye, does the DoF of that lens that shallow ?

The sweet 35 has an adjustable aperture ring, the others have little washers you put inside the lens with a magnet... seriously! :)

Flo_Evans

spats said:
Is it OK to have a UV filter on top of a polarizing filter? Or do they interfere with eachother?

edit: What is this foul sorcery? This thing kills unwanted reflections better than I could've imagined.

Fucking light waves, how do they work? :p

You can stack them sure, but why? More glass = worse IQ. Unless you have a specific reason for filtering UV rays, (like shoot ancient UV sensitive film on an uncoated lens...) I wouldn't stack them.

Soi-Fong

Here's my current kit...

All Canon equipment pretty much

I'll post some pictures later.

Canon 35mm SLR's (I still have a love for film because of my GF)

EOS RT
EOS 1

Canon 35mm DSLR's

EOS 5D MK II
EOS 7D
EOS 1D MK II N
EOS 1D MK IV

Canon "L" Series Lenses

EF 35 - 350mm f/3.5 - 5.6 L USM
EF 24 - 70mm f/2.8 L USM
EF 24 - 105mm f/4.0 L IS USM
EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM
EF 70 - 200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM
EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM
EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM

Canon Lenses

EF 24mm f/2.8
EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye

Canon EOS Flash System

Speedlite 550EX (1)
Speedlite 580EX (1)
Speedlite 580EX II (1)

Canon "L" Series Extenders

Canon EF 1.4x II extender
Canon EF 2x II extender

Miscellaneous:

Canon D10
Pocketwizard
Assortment of backdrops, softboxes, lights... etc

I'm saving up funds for an ultra-wide 14mm L and a 200 f/2...

spats

Flo_Evans said:
Fucking light waves, how do they work? :p

You can stack them sure, but why? More glass = worse IQ. Unless you have a specific reason for filtering UV rays, (like shoot ancient UV sensitive film on an uncoated lens...) I wouldn't stack them.

Thanks for the answer. The reason I asked is that I have a UV filter that I keep on all of the time to protect the lens so I wanted to know if it would play nice with a polarizer.

Soi-Fong said:
Here's my current kit...

EOS RT
EOS 1

Canon 35mm DSLR's

EOS 5D MK II
EOS 7D
EOS 1D MK II N
EOS 1D MK IV

Canon "L" Series Lenses

EF 24 - 70mm f/2.8 L USM
EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM
EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM
EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM
EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM

Canon Lenses

EF 24mm f/2.8
EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye

Canon EOS Flash System

Speedlite 550EX (1)
Speedlite 580EX (1)
Speedlite 580EX II (1)

Canon EF 2x II extender

Miscellaneous:

Canon D10
Pocketwizard

that equipment in itself is more than $40K
:eek:

Damaged

Radec said:

Yeah you have a set of aperture discs that you drop in and remove with magnets like Flo said, these were taken with no aperture fitted at all as there was only very low light when i was home from work messing about with the lens last night.

Tried a few more shots today at a test day on the local race circuit

DSC_0142 by nunsofanarchy, on Flickr

Damaged said:
Yeah you have a set of aperture discs that you drop in and remove with magnets like Flo said, these were taken with no aperture fitted at all as there was only very low light when i was home from work messing about with the lens last night.

nice, the only distracting thing is the vignette shows the lens boundary than actual black vignette

tino

Banned
Damaged said:

I would have ponied up the extra cash and get a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. You probably can get one for $300. This looks like its designed for a much smaller sensor. Plus there are software that can "stretch" the fisheye photo into a normal looking ultra wide photo.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Found a coin battery replacement for my gh13 from sears direct, gonna try and disassemble the body and install it myself when it comes in. Hope panasonic takes a cue from canon and makes the coin battery easily accessible in future models. Trying to save myself 284 dollars.

Damaged

Soi-Fong said:
Damaged, did that picture have any PP?
No post processing at all on that, its a jpeg straight from the camera, going to sit down and have a play about with the raw files sometime this weekend :)

tino said:
I would have ponied up the extra cash and get a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. You probably can get one for $300. This looks like its designed for a much smaller sensor. Plus there are software that can "stretch" the fisheye photo into a normal looking ultra wide photo.
I know I could have got allot better fisheyes but I'm on a fairly tight budget for this hobby and wanted to make sure I'd actually use the lens before spending cash on expensive glass

WanderingWind said:
Damage, two things.

1) That rabbit melted my icy heart
and
2) I've seen ads for that lens all over the place. Let me know what you think!
Thanks :) luffy is a great bunny! So far I'm very taken with the lens, once you get used to the apature discs I'd imagine you could get some very nice shots.

Don't get me wrong its never going to be as good as an expensive fisheye but you can swap out the optics for different lenses very easily, makes it an affordable hobby for me.

Thraktor

WanderingWind said:
It just sounds so...unwieldy. Who is target market for this, anyway? Pros are going to stay away from it, mid level consumers will opt for a system will less hassle, and amateurs won't give a fuck. Seems like something we'll be talking about in a few years like the Newton or something.

I'd say it's for people who have a decent amount of A-mount glass and want it to be compatible with their new NEX without the painfully slow autofocus times of the existing adapter. This certainly isn't going to be a heavily marketed product, just something available on mail-order from Sony for those who really need the faster autofocus.

Flo_Evans

ugg I hate watermarks. They are either easily removed or so obnoxious they ruin the photo.

I just figure if I post a pic anywhere online it is going to be stolen.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Flo_Evans said:
ugg I hate watermarks. They are either easily removed or so obnoxious they ruin the photo.
i dont think anyone likes watermarks. They may be easily removed but doing so is copyright infringement.

I just figure if I post a pic anywhere online it is going to be stolen
That's fine until you start running your own business and your commodites are your images. Its unfortunate that it needs to be done at all.

Flo_Evans

captive said:
i dont think anyone likes watermarks. They may be easily removed but doing so is copyright infringement.

That's fine until you start running your own business and your commodites are your images. Its unfortunate that it needs to be done at all.

But adding a watermark doesn't give you any extra legal rights. It just ruins the photo.

I add copywrite <my name> to the EXIF data, so if anyone wants to legally use my photo they can contact me. If they want to use it illegally, they are going to do it anyway.

tino

Banned
Sennorin said:
@Soi-Fong: Could you explain how you took the second photo? How you achieved the un-sharpness and old-photo-look. Just curious :)
My guess its Sepia filter and an... old photo filter? Or he took the picture at ISO 3200.

sneaky77

Flo_Evans said:
But adding a watermark doesn't give you any extra legal rights. It just ruins the photo.

I add copywrite <my name> to the EXIF data, so if anyone wants to legally use my photo they can contact me. If they want to use it illegally, they are going to do it anyway.

Is easier to use if there is no watermark though.

Zyzyxxz

Depending on what I see with the NEX-7 I might sell my D90 and pick one up.

Wouldn't mind a lighter and more compact body that boasts better performance than my current one.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So... buying used equipment. What do you guys think? I want to upgrade to a 7D, but can't really afford to drop $1,700.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
aidan said:
So... buying used equipment. What do you guys think? I want to upgrade to a 7D, but can't really afford to drop $1,700.

I just bought a 60D since the 7D is so much more and not all that different. I never really feel comfortable with used electronics. What are you shooting with now and why are you upgrading?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
aidan said:
used is definitely the way to go, especially with bodies. New camera bodies are like new cars, the second you take it out of the box it instantly loses value. I know some guys that recently bought Canon 1ds3 which retails for 7k, they got it pretty much mint condition for 2k.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Darkness said:
I just bought a 60D since the 7D is so much more and not all that different. I never really feel comfortable with used electronics. What are you shooting with now and why are you upgrading?

Shooting with a Rebel XT. Upgrading because I want to and I have an opportunity to begin shooting professionally here and there. What's the benefit of the 7D over the 60D? I'd certainly be willing to 'step down' if the extra features of the 7D don't justify the extra cost.

captive said:
used is definitely the way to go, especially with bodies. New camera bodies are like new cars, the second you take it out of the box it instantly loses value.

Good to know. Thanks!

Soi-Fong said:
Here's my current kit...

EOS RT
EOS 1

Canon 35mm DSLR's

EOS 5D MK II
EOS 7D
EOS 1D MK II N
EOS 1D MK IV

Canon "L" Series Lenses

EF 24 - 70mm f/2.8 L USM
EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM
EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM
EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM
EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM

Canon Lenses

EF 24mm f/2.8
EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye

Canon EOS Flash System

Speedlite 550EX (1)
Speedlite 580EX (1)
Speedlite 580EX II (1)

Canon EF 2x II extender

Miscellaneous:

Canon D10
Pocketwizard

Sweet mother of aperture! Please post up more of your photos.

Flo_Evans said:

I do the same

JORMBO

Darkness no more
aidan said:
Shooting with a Rebel XT. Upgrading because I want to and I have an opportunity to begin shooting professionally here and there. What's the benefit of the 7D over the 60D? I'd certainly be willing to 'step down' if the extra features of the 7D don't justify the extra cost.

I went from an XSI to a 60D at the beginning of this year. The 60D I got for $890 at the time, while the 7D was around $1500 I believe. The sensor is the same one each camera, so you'll get the same quality images. The 7D has more focusing points so it will be able to grab fast moving targets better. It can fire off more frames quicker. The viewfinder displays 100% of the image. The 60D displays 96% (I think). Rebels a bit less (I think). 7D also has better weather sealing. I did take my 60D to the beach last weekend and got hit by a few waves and it didn't suffer at all though. The 60D has an articulating screen. The 7D does not. You can probably find better comparisons around the net.

I went back and forth for a little bit but I just couldn't justify the extra costs of the 7D for what it provides. It's a nicer camera but I didn't find the perks worth the huge price difference. I don't shoot sports or fast moving subjects though. But if I do decide to shoot that a little bit I think the 60D will handle it just fine, it just might be a little harder then the 7D. Afterall people having been shooting motion with a lot less then what we have today :)

Might be worth looking into if you want to save some cash. You can always stroll down to Best Buy and play with both of them and see how they feel in your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom