• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, Found this site ezprints and they do panorama but they curb at each 10" in height, so i can't do 13" and 14" to get the photos their biggest, I can do 12" height or 20" height. Doesn't seem to take the resolution into account.

luoapp

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, Found this site ezprints and they do panorama but they curb at each 10" in height, so i can't do 13" and 14" to get the photos their biggest, I can do 12" height or 20" height. Doesn't seem to take the resolution into account.

Resolution of a digital photo and resolution of a print are different. Resolution of the print is something you need to decide when you order. 12" height means your NYC print has a resolution of ~110dpi, 10" means a 137dpi resolution -- a bit finer than a 12" print.

A bigger print looks a bit fuzzier. That's the trade-off.

Also, here are some 25%off ezprints coupons, in case you need them.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/ezprints.com

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
luoapp said:
Resolution of a digital photo and resolution of a print are different. Resolution of the print is something you need to decide when you order. 12" height means your NYC print has a resolution of ~110dpi, 10" means a 137dpi resolution -- a bit finer than a 12" print.

A bigger print looks a bit fuzzier. That's the trade-off.

Also, here are some 25%off ezprints coupons, in case you need them.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/ezprints.com

Awesome, thanks for the help all. I'll order some and see how it goes.

EDIT: Final question, why when checking out does it show up like this?
Qty Item Price
2 12" Panorama - Glossy $4.50
11 12" Panorama - Segment $24.7

The quantities are messed up and the second photo says "segment"

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well I'm on the finalize order screen and it is still showing up weird, I don't want a segmented picture.

I went clear back and re-did everything and it still showed up like that, maybe it's a glitch. Not sure I want to submit though...

EDIT:

Here is what I was talking about, notice the main area pricing/quantity and then the side area:

Capture.PNG

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Deadly Cyclone said:
Well I'm on the finalize order screen and it is still showing up weird, I don't want a segmented picture.

I went clear back and re-did everything and it still showed up like that, maybe it's a glitch. Not sure I want to submit though...

EDIT:

Here is what I was talking about, notice the main area pricing/quantity and then the side area:

Capture.PNG
thats confusing as fuck.

try these guys
http://www.vivyxprinting.com/

I got some houston downtown panoramic posters done the other day, 12"x28" for $7 per.

luoapp

Deadly Cyclone said:
Awesome, thanks for the help all. I'll order some and see how it goes.

EDIT: Final question, why when checking out does it show up like this?
Qty Item Price
2 12" Panorama - Glossy $4.50
11 12" Panorama - Segment $24.7

The quantities are messed up and the second photo says "segment"

No idea. Shoot them an email to clarify.

Soi-Fong

aidan said:
Go Team Canon!

Heck yes! Then again, I'm biased since I have all Canon equipment.

kudos. said:
Well I hope it functions well for me. Has anyone had any experience with the T3?

My cousin has it and it's perfect for beginning photography and the like. For food, it should be fine as long as you have a decent lens and a good hand.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
captive said:
thats confusing as fuck.

try these guys
http://www.vivyxprinting.com/

I got some houston downtown panoramic posters done the other day, 12"x28" for $7 per.

Awesome. This site is much easier and they tell you quality vs size and actually let you crop it.

EDIT:
Anyone have any good places to get cheaper frames? I need a 12x30 and a 12x48...

captive

Deadly Cyclone said:
Awesome. This site is much easier and they tell you quality vs size and actually let you crop it.
They are good. One of mine came scratched, I sent them an email and they reprinted and sent it out no problem.

EDIT:
Anyone have any good places to get cheaper frames? I need a 12x30 and a 12x48...
try amazon.

If you want a little nicer frame I like americanframe.com they can do any size. I also like redimat but they only have pre-set sizes.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, it looks like I've settled on a 5D (thanks to everyone in this thread for their advice!). But, it's a full frame camera which makes my current wide-angle zoom (18-55mm EF-S) useless. As an alternative, I've been looking at a CANON EF 28-80MM F3.5-5.6 USM M1. It's and older model (the original with the metal mount), which is supposed to be much cleaner than the more contemporary models.

Anyone have any experience with this lens? It'd cost me about $150.00 and I'd be using it mostly as a walk-around lens, but also for some portraits (alongside by 50mm f/1.8) and wedding/landscape photography.

Thanks!

Soi-Fong

aidan said:
So, it looks like I've settled on a 5D (thanks to everyone in this thread for their advice!). But, it's a full frame camera which makes my current wide-angle zoom (18-55mm EF-S) useless. As an alternative, I've been looking at a CANON EF 28-80MM F3.5-5.6 USM M1. It's and older model (the original with the metal mount), which is supposed to be much cleaner than the more contemporary models.

Anyone have any experience with this lens? It'd cost me about $150.00 and I'd be using it mostly as a walk-around lens, but also for some portraits (alongside by 50mm f/1.8) and wedding/landscape photography.

Thanks!

I have no experience with this lens, but I do have experience with a 24-70 f2.8 L and it's very flexible in the shots it can take. Good for wide-angle shooting as well as portraits so you should be fine. Try to look for some reviews of the lens regarding image quality and vignetting.

tino

Banned
aidan said:

Thanks!
Check out these options too.

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35...m-Lenses?s=1&bcode=CE&ccode=9&cc=55900&r=WG&f

I know you don't have extra money now, eventually you want to upgrade to a constant f/2.8 zoom. It doesn't matter who makes it, a 2.8 is almost always better than a f4 or variable aperture zoom.

Fireye

Sennorin said:
Two question:

1.) Would this lense fit on a Canon Eos 600D/Rebel T3i
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00005K47X/

2.) Would it be a good first lense? Instead of the kit lense?

thankyu!

1) Absolutely. ANY Canon EF or EF-S lens will fit your camera. The only restrictions on the EF lens lines are that Full Frame cameras (1d, 1ds, 5d) can only use EF lenses, not EF-S.

2) It's a terrific first lens. Because of the f1.8 apeture, you're able to play with Depth of Field, selectively putting things in focus. It's also good in low light. Its two major downsides are that it's not well built (somewhat flimsy, but still reliable), and it's auto-focus speed is slow and noisy.

Most budding photographers go for this lens as their first non-kit lens because it's VERY versatile.

Sennorin

Banned
thx to both of you. I guess I´ll buy that lense then instead of the kit lense, and will save for a higher quality zoom lense for the future. :)

aidan

Sennorin said:
thx to both of you. I guess I´ll buy that lense then instead of the kit lense, and will save for a higher quality zoom lense for the future. :)

For what it's worth, the 18-55mm IS kit lens is considered a fairly decent beginner zoom lens.

captive

tino said:
Check out these options too.

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35...m-Lenses?s=1&bcode=CE&ccode=9&cc=55900&r=WG&f

I know you don't have extra money now, eventually you want to upgrade to a constant f/2.8 zoom. It doesn't matter who makes it, a 2.8 is almost always better than a f4 or variable aperture zoom.
eh not sure f2.8 is the best option especially for shooting weddings. Weddings are long ass events and your going to have to carry all that crap for the entire time. Besides with a FF sensor you can up the ISO to compensate for the loss in light. And the f4 is cheaper and plenty sharp wide open.

aidan

captive said:
eh not sure f2.8 is the best option especially for shooting weddings. Weddings are long ass events and your going to have to carry all that crap for the entire time. Besides with a FF sensor you can up the ISO to compensate for the loss in light. And the f4 is cheaper and plenty sharp wide open.

That's enough to sell me on it. Reviews say that the original is a great little lens (those that followed... not so much) with nice sharpness through its entire range. Not too heavy, but still decent build quality. I'd love to go with something beefier, but my budget is essentially non-existent (but I need something other than my 50mm 1.8) to shoot with.

dantehemi

I have this itch to get Into photography. I want to treat it has my new hobby, I heard it's great for just being alone and relieving some stress. I have a local henrys around the corner from me and they offer photography classes, such as the basics and lighting to landscape and so on and I would enjoy taking those classes.

But my question to gaf is....

I have zero camera equipment. I have $1000 dollars to spend, what camera (dslr) and accessories would I need start my path on this hobby.

I hear good things about cannon and nikkon and some other companies.

Looking at ads I see a cannon xs being sold for very cheap, I hear a lot of good things about the cannon t2i, but seems that that camera would fit my budget but not allow much room to purchase any accessories. I'm not sure on any nikkon offerings but are they a good competitor to cannon?

So help me out gaf, thow some options at me and I can research what you give me and ultimately make up my mind based on a few recommendations as opposed to hundreds of cameras that are available.

Thanks in advance.

dantehemi said:
I have this itch to get Into photography. I want to treat it has my new hobby, I heard it's great for just being alone and relieving some stress. I have a local henrys around the corner from me and they offer photography classes, such as the basics and lighting to landscape and so on and I would enjoy taking those classes.

But my question to gaf is....

I have zero camera equipment. I have $1000 dollars to spend, what camera (dslr) and accessories would I need start my path on this hobby.

I hear good things about cannon and nikkon and some other companies.

Looking at ads I see a cannon xs being sold for very cheap, I hear a lot of good things about the cannon t2i, but seems that that camera would fit my budget but not allow much room to purchase any accessories. I'm not sure on any nikkon offerings but are they a good competitor to cannon?

So help me out gaf, thow some options at me and I can research what you give me and ultimately make up my mind based on a few recommendations as opposed to hundreds of cameras that are available.

Thanks in advance.

What accessories you need really depends on what/how you shoot. I'd start with a Canon or Nikon SLR with the basic kit lens, then get accessories after the fact based on what you find yourself needing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
dantehemi said:
Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you want as far as size 'cause at $1000 there's a couple of systems you can buy into.

DSLR: Nikon or Canon's entry level cameras (like the Canon Rebel T2i or T3). They're moderately sized, have great lenses to choose from and will give you fantastic IQ. You can also grow into them instead of hit a ceiling like you would with the average Point and Shoot. They also have the benefit of being able to mount fantastic pro quality lenses. The best IQ that 35mm native lenses provide (like Nikon's 14-24G or Canon's 135L to name two).

Mirrorless: This includes Olympus's PEN system, Panasonic's GF system or the Sony NEX. Any of these three I would actually recommend over the DSLR's currently since the small size of these bodies are conducive to taking the with you wherever you go. Taking a DSLR with you can feel like an event and turns an outing into a scenario where you feel the need to shoot since you lugged the thing along. This definitely feels different with these smaller mirrorless bodies.

That aside both Olympus and Panasonic have a much better selection of lenses where the Sony NEX has the advantage of a larger sensor (which equals a marked better IQ as far as sensor noise at larger ISOs). But that better IQ means nothing if the system doesn't provide a lens you need and that conforms to the size of the body (generally Olympus and Panasonic provide lenses that actually take advantage of the lack of mirror which equals much smaller lenses). Sony is currently trickling out lenses for the NEX.

As far as how to exactly use that $1K, you'd be set on the right path if you purchased any of the cameras I've talked about with their kit lens (they come as a package). They're usually Zoom lenses with a variable aperture. That would be adequate and then go from there. The only accessories would be really need are a lens cloth of some sort and a nice big memory card and memory card reader... maybe a bag (Domke makes good bags). That's about it.

captive

BlueTsunami said:
Though this video was interesting...

Film:Not Dead Yet
its definitely not dead. I used to to read several pro photographers that always said there's something special and better that you typically can't get with digital and I always thought they were full of it. But after shooting film, they are right. Its really hard to explain but I have several shots on velvia that I just like to pick up and look at, the tonal range, the color its just amazing.

I just cleared amazon out the other day, 20+ rolls of 120mm velvia 50 for a trip to Belize.

Just wish the jackass ebay seller didn't send me the wrong power supply or I could have already started scanning my stuff in.

Joe

Can anyone recommend what I should do?

I would like to take my chance at being a freelance photographer and I would like to purchase a full-frame camera. Like, I really, really want a full-frame camera. But they are quite expensive. I'd say my limit is $1,500 on a body, a single lens, maybe a flash, and some misc. accessories to start off and I'm willing to buy used.

Is full-frame necessary? I really like the high-iso shooting and wider angles aspects. I just don't want to get a job and then have trouble because I'm limited by the camera, that's really my worry.

Given my spending limit, which is a little flexible, can anyone recommend a camera body? I already have a couple lower end Nikon lenses (35mm, 1.8 is my best).

tokkun

BlueTsunami said:
Though this video was interesting...

Film:Not Dead Yet

Film photography has some minor technical advantages in certain areas and it is definitely much cheaper to pick up a used 35mm film camera than a Full Frame digital.

That said, I think that film is rapidly becoming the equivalent of vinyl, in that its primary draw is its romanticism. Film prints will likely continue to have a different look from digital in many cases, but like the "warmer" sound of vinyl, I think this is less about it being technically superior and more about aesthetically pleasing technical deficiencies that could be reproduced in digital if desired.

tino

Banned
Joe said:
Can anyone recommend what I should do?

I would like to take my chance at being a freelance photographer and I would like to purchase a full-frame camera. Like, I really, really want a full-frame camera. But they are quite expensive. I'd say my limit is $1,500 on a body, a single lens, maybe a flash, and some misc. accessories to start off and I'm willing to buy used.

Is full-frame necessary? I really like the high-iso shooting and wider angles aspects. I just don't want to get a job and then have trouble because I'm limited by the camera, that's really my worry.

Given my spending limit, which is a little flexible, can anyone recommend a camera body? I already have a couple lower end Nikon lenses (35mm, 1.8 is my best).

If you have Canon, comparing full frame 5D or 1Ds II/III to the 7D make more sense.

If you have Nikon, the D700 is so much more expensive than the D300/s, you pretty much have to settle for the D300/s base on your budget. Nikon is selling its last batch of D700 and the price is still not dropping.

Your lens selection really depends on the nature of the job you are getting. I would get a D300 and a used 17-55 myself. Nikon's 17-55 is really good. Its fit, finish, build and IQ is 100% professional grade. Your old body would be your backup body.

BlueTsunami

captive said:
its definitely not dead. I used to to read several pro photographers that always said there's something special and better that you typically can't get with digital and I always thought they were full of it. But after shooting film, they are right. Its really hard to explain but I have several shots on velvia that I just like to pick up and look at, the tonal range, the color its just amazing.

I just cleared amazon out the other day, 20+ rolls of 120mm velvia 50 for a trip to Belize.

Just wish the jackass ebay seller didn't send me the wrong power supply or I could have already started scanning my stuff in.

I can definitely notice the beautiful tonal range and transition, even with websized images. I go through a phase of looking at Mamiya/Pentax/Hasseblad MF photographs every now and again. There definitely is a certain something that just can't be measured by graphs.

tokkun said:
Film photography has some minor technical advantages in certain areas and it is definitely much cheaper to pick up a used 35mm film camera than a Full Frame digital.

That said, I think that film is rapidly becoming the equivalent of vinyl, in that its primary draw is its romanticism. Film prints will likely continue to have a different look from digital in many cases, but like the "warmer" sound of vinyl, I think this is less about it being technically superior and more about aesthetically pleasing technical deficiencies that could be reproduced in digital if desired.

From what I've seen Digital can tend to look very clinical, exact. Then there's the type of digital image that looks a bit tense, not overly sharpened but lacks the graceful tonal transitions of film. These terms usually make certain gearheads bonkers though. If it can't be seen on an MTF plot then its subjective (and to them worthless). I appreciate these aspects of film though and I can see the vinyl comparison.

On another note, here's the NEX 7!

b0SxR.png

wOVQG.png

CtZn6.png

24,3 Exmor HD sensor
100-16.000 ISO
1200 zone metering
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder (Active Matrix-OLED with RGB pattern from Samsung)
3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
10 fps
20ms startup time
Built-in flash
New universal hot shoe
Battery life for over 400 shots
Magnesium alloy body

Level Gauge and gridline
HDR, Panorama, Picture effexts
NEX-7 feel surprisingly light (at the same time solid).

Body only will be priced between $1000 and $1100.
The NEX-7 will be available in Europe and US around the 7th-10th of November.

Source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-new-nex-7-pictures-and-specs-reminder/

It hasn't been officially announced yet but I think that's coming next week. I want this to my next camera. Its gonna feel good finally upgrading from the Rebel XT.

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
It hasn't been officially announced yet but I think that's coming next week. I want this to my next camera. Its gonna feel good finally upgrading from the Rebel XT.

Are you going to use it as your primary system or just backup to your Canon system? I think the lens selection is still missing quite a few lenses.

I think a NEX-5/5c size is perfect for me to step down from the SLR if I don't feel like taking photos. I will get the next NEX-5 with a compact 3X zoom for my wife, and then bring my Nikon lens and adapter in case I want to use it.

The NEX-7 reminds me of the Fuji MF rangefinders btw.

golem

captive said:
You bastard! Jk I think I got the last of the 35mm Velvia at Amazon. Also made a run at their 400TX haha

Edit: Ooh, they have more Velvia. Still out of 400tx, but the marketplace seller has free ship

ColR100

A little advice needed if possible.

I currently own a Nikon D50, and I've had it about a year now after buying it second hand off a friend.

Knowing that this camera is getting on a bit, and the amount of use I get out of it (minimal at best), I'm thinking about selling it on and buying a Sony NEX 3 or 5.

Would this be advisable?

Looking at camera sensor ratings on DxOMark, I see that the D50 has a rating of 55 while the NEX range is at 69.

Like I said previously, I'm a user that only really brings a camera out when travelling or on special occasions. The NEX form-factor and the awesome video recording makes me feel I'll start to get into this more because I can always just sling it in the car or a bag.

I currently only own a kit lens for the Nikon D50, so I'm hardly locked into that system right now. And lens buying will be minimal at best, I'm guessing I'll just add a prime to the NEX kit lens, and that's all.

What I'm wondering is whether this might be the right option for me as the sort of user I am, along with the sensor ratings between the two, and how much improved the quality of images will be (in a crisper sense etc)?

If I trade/sell up the D50, I'll have to spend about £100/$150 on top to get the NEX with the kit lens.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
Are you going to use it as your primary system or just backup to your Canon system? I think the lens selection is still missing quite a few lenses.

Plan on it being my main one. The only AF lens I've used for about two years now is my Rebel XT's kit lens and I've only used it for very wide photos. I plan on adapting my Nikkor 28/2, Zeiss C/Y 50/1.7 and Super Takumar 135/3.5 to the NEX. Then from there pick up a super wide angle Rangefinder lens and maybe pickup some other small RF lenses down the line. I'll probably replace the Nikkor 28/2 with the Zeiss 28/1.8 if its good enough. If not I may spring for a Leica-M 28/2 Summicron :D~

Zyzyxxz

tino said:

I think a NEX-5/5c size is perfect for me to step down from the SLR if I don't feel like taking photos. I will get the next NEX-5 with a compact 3X zoom for my wife, and then bring my Nikon lens and adapter in case I want to use it.

The NEX-7 reminds me of the Fuji MF rangefinders btw.

I was thinking of switching but right now the lens selection is not really doing it for me.

I think I may wait and see what the GF7 has to offer.

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Plan on it being my main one. The only AF lens I've used for about two years now is my Rebel XT's kit lens and I've only used it for very wide photos. I plan on adapting my Nikkor 28/2, Zeiss C/Y 50/1.7 and Super Takumar 135/3.5 to the NEX. Then from there pick up a super wide angle Rangefinder lens and maybe pickup some other small RF lenses down the line. I'll probably replace the Nikkor 28/2 with the Zeiss 28/1.8 if its good enough. If not I may spring for a Leica-M 28/2 Summicron :D~

Interesting, didn't know you focus so much on MF lenses.

What's your opinion between your Zeiss 50mm and the Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Also, are you going to get a lens in the ultra wide range. Like the Voigtlander 20mm 3.5. It should work on both the NEX and your Canon.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
Interesting, didn't know you focus so much on MF lenses.

What's your opinion between your Zeiss 50mm and the Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS?

Also, are you going to get a lens in the ultra wide range. Like the Voigtlander 20mm 3.5. It should work on both the NEX and your Canon.

The Zeiss 50's are pretty strong but they're fairly average wide open. Its up there with the Canon 50/1.4 as far as sharpness and contrast wide open. Its not exactly glowing praise but its got two things going for it, fantastic color reproduction and it gets insanely sharp stopped down to f/2.8 and beyond.

As far as compared to the Nikon 50/1.2 AIS? I really like what I've seen from the Nikon. When talking about what a lens is optimized for the Nikon really works well in the larger apertures but the Zeiss lives stopped down. So with that in mind I'd choose the lens based on one that's a little more well rounded (the Zeiss) or a lens you know you'll be using wide open a lot (the Nikon). Also the Nikon exhibits a lot more character, I believe, when it comes to the bokeh and spherical aberrations wide open. Has a signature there which you may want too.

On Ultra Wides, I like what I've seen from the Voigtlander 20/3.5 but if I do get the NEX I want my Ultra Wide to be a Rangefinder lens and I've honed in on the Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm f/4.5. Its small, sharp and renowned for lacking distortion which is definitely crazy at this focal length.

Here it is mounted to the current Sony NEX 5: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whacker/5962611373/

The NEX 7 is supposed to be more Leica M9 like in size so I think the pairing should be rather nice.

There's also the Zeiss Biogon 18/4 which looks interesting but after the crop conversion it definitely won't feel as wide as the 15mm Heliar.

tino

Banned
Haha very retro looking. You need a black NEX body though, otherwise its too hipster looking for my taste.

Thanks for you comment about 50mm 1.2. I would like to own it one day.

I haven't look into your particular Zeiss lens. But some Zeiss lenses exhibit very special Zeiss color, that make them so unique. And the funny thing is its very hard to describe the "Zeiss color", so some people dismiss it as a myth.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
Haha very retro looking. You need a black NEX body though, otherwise its too hipster looking for my taste.

Thanks for you comment about 50mm 1.2. I would like to own it one day.

I haven't look into your particular Zeiss lens. But some Zeiss lenses exhibit very special Zeiss color, that make them so unique. And the funny thing is its very hard to describe the "Zeiss color", so some people dismiss it as a myth.

No problem! And as to the "Zeiss Color" its a mixture of vibrancy and purity. Here's a photo I had taken a year or so ago with my Zeiss Contax/Yaschica 50/1.7 that really shows this off...

6024938086_e55ab2d303_b.jpg

I love the greens this lens picks up but not as much as the blues!

And here it is at f/2 about 1/3rd? of a stop down from wide open...

5747668225_830ea998f9_b.jpg

element

I'm excited! I rented a Samyang 35mm f/1.4 and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC for PAX Prime next weekend. I'm really excited about the Samyang lens.

Hey camera GAF, I have a question. My dad passed away last month, and he was an avid amateur photographer. For whatever reason, his camera of choice was Konica Minolta 7D. He had other DSLR cameras, but he always went back to that Konica. Anyway, I am now left with all of his old photo equipment, including his collection of 10+ lenses and lighting equipment. There are some really nice lenses in the collection, including a huge telephoto lens, a macro lens, and wide angle/fish-eye - all lenses I'd love to try out, but would never be inclined to buy myself.

This issue is I am Nikon guy myself and I really don't like the 7D much, but I'd really love to be able to make use of the lenses he left me. I've read that since Sony bought Konica Minolta, all Minolta alpha lenses work with Sony DSLR cameras. Is that true? If so I'd be very tempted to pick one up and start using my dad's equipment.

yeah, all alpha/A-mount stuff is interchangeable, with autofocus and everything. it'd be a good time to get on board with sony!

the A77, NEX-7 and A65 should all be announced on wednesday.

tokkun

Jugendstil said:
Hey camera GAF, I have a question. My dad passed away last month, and he was an avid amateur photographer. For whatever reason, his camera of choice was Konica Minolta 7D. He had other DSLR cameras, but he always went back to that Konica. Anyway, I am now left with all of his old photo equipment, including his collection of 10+ lenses and lighting equipment. There are some really nice lenses in the collection, including a huge telephoto lens, a macro lens, and wide angle/fish-eye - all lenses I'd love to try out, but would never be inclined to buy myself.

This issue is I am Nikon guy myself and I really don't like the 7D much, but I'd really love to be able to make use of the lenses he left me. I've read that since Sony bought Konica Minolta, all Minolta alpha lenses work with Sony DSLR cameras. Is that true? If so I'd be very tempted to pick one up and start using my dad's equipment.

Vintage Minolta lenses works great on the Alphas. My macro is from the late 80s and still produces great results.

Sony's current fisheye and macro lenses are just reworked exteriors of the Minolta glass, and are both still highly regarded.

Hey. I feel really stupid and nervous posting this, because you guys know ten times more than me about cameras and whatnot, but I figured I'd ask because I really need the help.
I want to go to an art school for photography, and I'm... not really knowledgeable on all this camera stuff. I know, it sounds noobish. But I'd like to learn what there is to know.

I'm not looking for a super expensive awesome camera that can take pictures from space or anything, just one that can switch lenses and take awesome pictures and whatnot. DSLR or whatever... if that's the right word. *still feeling noobish*

I looked around this thread (well, I actually kind of read the whole thing) and I saw a few that looked nice, and I did searching of my own, but I just don't know what to pick. I looked at the camera that kudos. bought (this right here) and it looks nice but I don't want to buy something that just... isn't nice.

Is that one a good camera? Especially for the price with all of the things included? Any suggestions? I'm so lost. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom