• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momar

aka Ryder
hEist said:
saving money for 50mm 1.4
i want it sooooo bad.

I <3 this lens so much. Of course, you wouldn't be able to tell by the number of times I've dropped it. It's currently at the Canon Repair center : ( I hope I haven't done any lasting damage to it...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I want to talk shutter life, when camera companies describe shutter life, is the mean of the normal distribution on the "expected shutter life." To put it simply, my Canon XSi is rated at 100,000, does that mean that by half the cameras are expected to die before 100,000 and half die after ward?

Or is the 100,000 shutter life the uppermost limit? (which means the normal curve is shifted downward)

Momar said:
I <3 this lens so much. Of course, you wouldn't be able to tell by the number of times I've dropped it. It's currently at the Canon Repair center : ( I hope I haven't done any lasting damage to it...

I am so tempted to buy a 50mm f1.4, but I hear so many horror stories about the motor dying when it falls down. I will just wait for a version II (in the far future) that has Ring USM and is as reliable as my trusty 85mm, 28-135mm, and 24-70L.

Momar said:

I was at the lens store today and looking to... lenses and I saw the 50mm 1.8, then the 50 1.4mm and then the 50mm ...1.2 ! I was like " wait, whaat ? " And the lense was sa damn large compared to the two others, it was pretty amazing.

Hcoregamer00

My thoughts on the Canon vs. Nikon rivalry

To be honest, both Canon and Nikon are both good brands. I personally have a Canon, and I am already pretty well-invested on this side of the fence, but that doesn't mean I hate Nikon. My close friend has a Nikon D90 and she lets me use her camera plenty of times, I used it so much that I taught her to to really take advantage of her camera to wean her off the automatic modes.

What I like about the D90 is the top LCD and the great build quality for such a low price, I wish Canon had an equivalent DSLR. The Rebel series is not as well built, not as ergonomic, has a loud shutter, and there is no top LCD. The 50D is nice, but it is a lot heavier than the D90, and only recently has it hit a similar price. For Canon to have a D90 equivalent, they would need to have a Rebel sized body (my XSi is barely smaller than her D90), top LCD, better ergonomics, and a better shutter.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hcoregamer00 said:
I am so tempted to buy a 50mm f1.4, but I hear so many horror stories about the motor dying when it falls down. I will just wait for a version II (in the far future) that has Ring USM and is as reliable as my trusty 85mm, 28-135mm, and 24-70L.

The issue with the 50/1.4 is that when you focus out to Infinity, theres a portion on the front of the lens that extends out a bit. If this were to be pushed back forcefully, it'll warp one of the tracks and nub thats attached to the AF motor inside.

Some people protect against this by focusing opposite of Infinity (Which will protract the lens), or buy a lens hood for it and always keep it on (since the lens hood attaches to the area around where the lens protrudes out).

Now, with that said I've heard of the lens randomly stopping but that could be overstated. Its more likely that the front end got banged into something. If you're able to handle this physical "weakness" and baby it a bit, its a fine fine lens, no doubt.

hEist

Momar said:

wtf?
how can you drop it? :O never happenend to me, that i drop any lens.
HOW :D

Zyzyxxz

Hcoregamer00 said:

To be honest, both Canon and Nikon are both good brands. I personally have a Canon, and I am already pretty well-invested on this side of the fence, but that doesn't mean I hate Nikon. My close friend has a Nikon D90 and she lets me use her camera plenty of times, I used it so much that I taught her to to really take advantage of her camera to wean her off the automatic modes.

What I like about the D90 is the top LCD and the great build quality for such a low price, I wish Canon had an equivalent DSLR. The Rebel series is not as well built, not as ergonomic, has a loud shutter, and there is no top LCD. The 50D is nice, but it is a lot heavier than the D90, and only recently has it hit a similar price. For Canon to have a D90 equivalent, they would need to have a Rebel sized body (my XSi is barely smaller than her D90), top LCD, better ergonomics, and a better shutter.

I think the T2i would come close but it doesn't have as many manual controls as the D90. It is in the same price range though from what I've seen IQ and ISO performance wise I would consider them competitors.

Hcoregamer00

Zyzyxxz said:
I think the T2i would come close but it doesn't have as many manual controls as the D90. It is in the same price range though from what I've seen IQ and ISO performance wise I would consider them competitors.

IQ wise, I think the XSi and beyond could go toe to toe with the D90, my problem is with things I consider as important that has not been addressed in the rebel series (assuming it goes against the D90):
  • Build Quality
  • Shutter Sound
  • Top LCD
  • Ergonomics

The D90 feels fantastic in your hands, it feels like it can go through a lot of wear and tear, the Canon Rebels, not so much. The D90 shutter is amazing, quiet and very sturdy sounding, the Rebel class SLR's shutter sounds anemic and very shoddy. The top LCD to me is important because I do not want to use the battery eating back LCD to choose aperture and time, and sometimes looking in the eyepiece can be a pain. The most important thing is ergonimics, Canon really really needs to work on ergonomics. I had to buy a battery grip for my XSi to make it feel balanced in my teeny-tiny girly hands, I can't imagine how someone with much bigger hands would suffer with a rebel SLR.

I love the D90, it is a great SLR.

BlueTsunami said:
The issue with the 50/1.4 is that when you focus out to Infinity, theres a portion on the front of the lens that extends out a bit. If this were to be pushed back forcefully, it'll warp one of the tracks and nub thats attached to the AF motor inside.

Some people protect against this by focusing opposite of Infinity (Which will protract the lens), or buy a lens hood for it and always keep it on (since the lens hood attaches to the area around where the lens protrudes out).

Now, with that said I've heard of the lens randomly stopping but that could be overstated. Its more likely that the front end got banged into something. If you're able to handle this physical "weakness" and baby it a bit, its a fine fine lens, no doubt.

That the problem, I am so accustomed to Ring USM in my lenses (the silence, the reliability), that it is hard to go back to a lens that doesn't have it. I certainly hope Canon fixes this glaring problem, because shoddy reliability is preventing me from buying it to compliment my superb 85mm Prime Lens.

I don't doubt that the lens is superb, I work with a photographer in Anime Expo who produced some amazing pictures with it, but I don't want to spend $450 on a lens that may die because of a tiny bump.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hcoregamer00 said:

IMO, Canon and Nikon are essentially the same for their entry-level to prosumer models. It's the high end that the difference is more pronounced.

D3s is better than the 1DMk4, and the D3x is better than the 1DsMk3.

High ISO performance is objectively better on the Nikons, and the AF performs "better" (although AF is more subjective since it's pretty much up to the user to make the best of any given camera's AF system)

I don't really care about video, but if that matters to you, then Canon has better video than Nikon.

ChryZ

So there's a new start up that announced something pretty interesting:

Noktor 50mm F0.95
01.jpg

http://noktor.com/products.php

Focal Length 50mm
Aperture F0.95 - F16
Autofocus No
Min. Focus Distance 0.6m
Lens (Elements) 8
Lens (Groups) 7
Weight 480g
Mount Type m4/3
Filter Size 62mm

Shot with Noktor 50mm F0.95 HyperPrime on a Panasonic Lumix GH1. 60 frames per second, 1/120 shutter speed and 800 iso:
http://www.vimeo.com/9820219

flickr "Noktor Testing" set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theleggett/sets/72157623527995554/

Amazing low light performance, a bit soft maybe. I'm not quite ready to pre-order, but I'm very interested and can't wait for in-depth reviews.

BlueTsunami

Quite a bit halation at the larger apertures but for such a fast lens, its expected. Whoever buys that, good luck focusing :lol I'm interested to see how it performs at f/1.2... stopped down a lil'. If it sharpens up at smaller apertures, it would be as versatile a low light lens you can get.

Edit: Checked out their site, its listed as $750

Just an FYI to people possibly interested in that lens. Apparently its a lens that been retrofitted to m4/3'rds (from Senko lenses). Also, if you're shooting m4/3, you can easily mount a Voigtlander 50/1.1 via an adapter which is (I believe) a stop or stop and a half slower for $1000. With that $250 extra, you're buying a lens that was made for 35mm cameras and renders Out of Focus areas beautifully.

Zyzyxxz

eeek manual focus too, seems like it'd be a pretty difficult lens to work with for me. I wanna see some samples of it stopped down as well.

ChryZ

BlueTsunami said:
Quite a bit halation at the larger apertures but for such a fast lens, its expected. Whoever buys that, good luck focusing :lol I'm interested to see how it performs at f/1.2... stopped down a lil'. If it sharpens up at smaller apertures, it would be as versatile a low light lens you can get.
I completely agree. Regarding the manual focus: I can only speak from experience with my GF1. They aided MF with a nifty zoom utility and that makes it surprisingly painless.

BlueTsunami said:
Edit: Checked out their site, its listed as $750
Pretty affordable when compared to glass like Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ($10k). :lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
with electronic viewfinders on m4/3 it zooms 10x for focusing.
edit most(if not all) regular 4/3rd cameras have this feature when using live view.

mrkgoo

I just got y spyder3express from b&h ($79). Up until now I've been using a spyder2 on my 15" early 2008 non-unibody led-backlit MacBook pro, and was never really that satisfied with it.

The spyder3 is so much better. I feel the colours are more even and it uses less dithering. I'm going to do some more tests, but initial impressions are positive.

Zyzyxxz

I was thinking of going with a Canon T2i to replace my D40 but decided against it.

I just pulled the trigger on a D90 from B&H for $725 after Bing cashback.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zyzyxxz said:
I was thinking of going with a Canon T2i to replace my D40 but decided against it.

I just pulled the trigger on a D90 from B&H for $725 after Bing cashback.
That's a pretty decent price. Why did you decide to get the D90 instead of the T2i?

Zyzyxxz

Rentahamster said:
That's a pretty decent price. Why did you decide to get the D90 instead of the T2i?

well considering that the T2i would have been $800 body only from Amazon I had to weigh the benefits of it.

I get 1080p and a pretty great video recording feature... and that was the only benefit to me.

The D90 has better ISO performance, better manual controls, top LCD, stuff that you don't get on an entry level camera and I'm already familiar with Nikon due to the D40.

I think I'll be happy with how it shoots above 800 ISO. Having a good video feature would have been nice but to be honest it was more of the tech geek in me that wanted it than my practical side.

Chorazin

Gah, all you guys with your D90s making me jealous. I gotta wait for a eBay seller to leave me good feedback (even though I've been on eBay for years and have 100% feedback) before Paypal releases it's hold on the $160 I need to place my D90 order.

Stupid Paypal policies drive me nuts.

EDIT: Checked the finances and figured I'd survive until Paypal releases my dough. D90 will be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime!

Jhoan

Can anyone recommend me a cheap tripod for the Olympus 565 UZ? I know absolutely nothing about how to buy a tripod. Are tripods for specific camera models or are they universal? Also, I'm an amateur/casual photographer, so that's why I want a cheap tripod and also to become a better photographer.

Zyzyxxz

Chorazin said:
Gah, all you guys with your D90s making me jealous. I gotta wait for a eBay seller to leave me good feedback (even though I've been on eBay for years and have 100% feedback) before Paypal releases it's hold on the $160 I need to place my D90 order.

Stupid Paypal policies drive me nuts.

EDIT: Checked the finances and figured I'd survive until Paypal releases my dough. D90 will be here tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime!

welcome to the D90 club now!

*high five?*

Chorazin

Jipan said:
Can anyone recommend me a cheap tripod for the Olympus 565 UZ? I know absolutely nothing about how to buy a tripod. Are tripods for specific camera models or are they universal? Also, I'm an amateur/casual photographer, so that's why I want a cheap tripod and also to become a better photographer.

Tripods are universal, so any will work. I ordered one of these last week, and for the price of $20 with free shipping I'm thinking it'll be pretty sweet. Hopefully I'll get it soon!

Zyzyxxz said:
welcome to the D90 club now!

*high five?*

HIGH FIVE! I'm so stoked to get it. If I didn't have stuff at work I gotta do tomorrow I'd call in sick. :lol

BlueTsunami

I had ordered and just now installed a Katz Eye focusing screen for my Rebel XT :D Now I can focus my fast 50mm wide open manually and nail the focus!

Here's a shot I had taken to show how small the screen is (also manually focused!). This is a picture of the Stock focus screen. This was also shot nearly wide open at Minimum Focus Distance too. You fast prime users should know how thin the DoF is.

15gp4r6.jpg

I've already played around with the new focus screen (which has a Split Prism, Micro Prism Ring and Matte texture around the ring for better Depth of Field gauging) and it works flawlessly. All I need now is a magnifier for my XT's viewfinder and I'll be golden. But even now, I can focus correctly manually which has been a huge issue for me for a while now.

The installation process was very nerve wracking. The screen is small, you can only grasp it from one of the tabs (if you touch the front of the screen you will scratch it and that will be magnified when viewing through the viewfinder). Now that I've installed it, it seems so simple but definitely not at first.

I've also made another Camera related purchase but that'll have to wait till I physically get said item :D Cannot wait for it.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
I had ordered and just now installed a Katz Eye focusing screen for my Rebel XT :D Now I can focus my fast 50mm wide open manually and nail the focus!

Here's a shot I had taken to show how small the screen is (also manually focused!). This is a picture of the Stock focus screen. This was also shot nearly wide open at Minimum Focus Distance too. You fast prime users should know how thin the DoF is.

I've already played around with the new focus screen (which has a Split Prism, Micro Prism Ring and Matte texture around the ring for better Depth of Field gauging) and it works flawlessly. All I need now is a magnifier for my XT's viewfinder and I'll be golden. But even now, I can focus correctly manually which has been a huge issue for me for a while now.

The installation process was very nerve wracking. The screen is small, you can only grasp it from one of the tabs (if you touch the front of the screen you will scratch it and that will be magnified when viewing through the viewfinder). Now that I've installed it, it seems so simple but definitely not at first.

I've also made another Camera related purchase but that'll have to wait till I physically get said item :D Cannot wait for it.

Sweet! I didn't know the rebel XT had a changeable focus screen? Is this kind of a hack, then?

BlueTsunami

mrkgoo said:
Sweet! I didn't know the rebel XT had a changeable focus screen? Is this kind of a hack, then?

From what I've read the people who deal in focus screens for the Rebels (and also the 10D and up) cameras are retrofitting old precision screens from Film Cameras. So in a way it is. Its not hard to install though, its just a matter of going into the mirror chamber (by removing the lens) and flipping up the container bracket (its right above the mirror). The focus screen is easily removable once that bracket is taken out. Not as easy as the 40D/50D/5D but not impossible either!

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
From what I've read the people who deal in focus screens for the Rebels (and also the 10D and up) cameras are retrofitting old precision screens from Film Cameras. So in a way it is. Its not hard to install though, its just a matter of going into the mirror chamber (by removing the lens) and flipping up the container bracket (its right above the mirror). The focus screen is easily removable once that bracket is taken out. Not as easy as the 40D/50D/5D but not impossible either!

Well, good luck and have fun with that! I love how you love all this stuff so much.

BlueTsunami said:

15gp4r6.jpg

I've been having a hard as hell time getting my 50mm to focus properly in manual. Does this thing really make that big of a difference?

BlueTsunami

The_Inquisitor said:
I've been having a hard as hell time getting my 50mm to focus properly in manual. Does this thing really make that big of a difference?

Its mainly for lenses that are faster than f/2.8. The stock focus screens in most DSLRs sold nowadays represent Depth of Field through the viewfinder thats equivalent to an f/4 lens (whats lost in correct DoF representation allows a brighter screen for slower lenses). The screen I've installed (the Katz Eye) is good enough for an f/1.2 lens. So in short, it makes a huge difference (especially when you factor in the focus aids which are the Split and Micro Prisms).

Its expensive though ($105) but a great investment if you tend to manual focus more than you use Auto Focus (I'm mostly a Manual Focus user).

Here's a video with a D70 installed with a Katz Eye focus screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9CCxV4-Yb4&feature=related

You can see the Split Prism in the middle and around the Split Prism are the Micro Prisms (which makes the Out of Focus areas shimmer in relation to whats in focus). The area outside the Micro Prism (Doughnut area) still gives you correct DoF (so in that sense its much better than stock screens). I've already tested it thoroughly and I'm able to nail the focus near wide open with my 50mm anywhere in the frame.

Anyone else in the T2i club yet? Very happy with this camera so far. I have been waiting to get a DSLR for so long, I finally took the plunge.

23seqyt.jpg

koam

gutterboy44 said:
Anyone else in the T2i club yet? Very happy with this camera so far. I have been waiting to get a DSLR for so long, I finally took the plunge.

Getting mine tomorrow. First DSLR as well. I ordered it with a 18-135 lens. $1225 :D

brerwolfe

gutterboy44 said:

you should flip the image and make it look like someone took a pic of you..

Chorazin

UPS called me this morning and I have to be home to sign for my D90, so I'm taking a half day. I'm so damn excited!

Let's just hope that today isn't the first day in a year and hundreds of packages that he shows up before 1pm....

Zyzyxxz

Chorazin said:
UPS called me this morning and I have to be home to sign for my D90, so I'm taking a half day. I'm so damn excited!

Let's just hope that today isn't the first day in a year and hundreds of packages that he shows up before 1pm....

They always just drop it off at my door, since I live in a semi secluded area nobody would take my stuff but I'm still wary when they do leave stuff so I try to be home or have someone home.

Either way my D90 isn't expected until March 8th, hopefully sooner.

Chorazin

Zyzyxxz said:
They always just drop it off at my door, since I live in a semi secluded area nobody would take my stuff but I'm still wary when they do leave stuff so I try to be home or have someone home.

Either way my D90 isn't expected until March 8th, hopefully sooner.

Yeah, they usually just leave my shit at the door, but this is the first time they ever called me and told me to be home. :lol

Oh well, my supervisor is cool about stuff like that and I busted my ass to get a days work done in half a day, so it's all good. Still waiting for the UPS dude...

Although, USPS dropped off the $20 tripod I ordered! It looks to be absolutely perfect for the stuff I want to do with it, as I'm not a real huge tripod guy but wanted a good one to play around with. Seems very sturdy, and it's pretty full featured. Pretty sweet for such a cheap price!

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
Its mainly for lenses that are faster than f/2.8. The stock focus screens in most DSLRs sold nowadays represent Depth of Field through the viewfinder thats equivalent to an f/4 lens (whats lost in correct DoF representation allows a brighter screen for slower lenses). The screen I've installed (the Katz Eye) is good enough for an f/1.2 lens. So in short, it makes a huge difference (especially when you factor in the focus aids which are the Split and Micro Prisms).

Its expensive though ($105) but a great investment if you tend to manual focus more than you use Auto Focus (I'm mostly a Manual Focus user).

Here's a video with a D70 installed with a Katz Eye focus screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9CCxV4-Yb4&feature=related

You can see the Split Prism in the middle and around the Split Prism are the Micro Prisms (which makes the Out of Focus areas shimmer in relation to whats in focus). The area outside the Micro Prism (Doughnut area) still gives you correct DoF (so in that sense its much better than stock screens). I've already tested it thoroughly and I'm able to nail the focus near wide open with my 50mm anywhere in the frame.
What does the focussing acreen do to slower lenses?

BlueTsunami

mrkgoo said:
What does the focussing acreen do to slower lenses?

I tried my kit lens with it and it does dramatically darkens the viewfinder for slower lenses. This isn't too bad though since Auto Focus isn't effected by the screen at all.

Chorazin

The_Inquisitor said:
You son of a bitch!

Well don't just sit here, go take some photos and report back!

I had to charge it first! :D

I ran it through it's paces a bit indoors with the 1.8 35mm attached, enjoyed the nice new sound of the shutter snapping closed as I threw it on continuous-H like a champ for throwaway pics. Focus is tons faster than the D40, and the size, ergonomics, and weight make it feel much more pro than the D40. Works awesome with my SB-400 speedlight as well, played with the cat a bit and bounced the flash, hopefully I'll have a keeper or two to throw in the Q1 thread later tonight!

zhenming said:
welcome to the Nikon side.

Been here a while now, upgraded from a D40! But thanks!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
just got my AF Confirm OM-4/3 adapter to use an old 50mm f1.8 on my camera and i'm loving the utility of the larger aperture.

now this is tempting me to buy the Sigma 30mm f1.4 for both the auto-focusing and the wider angle. another ~$500!

Zyzyxxz

Jayayess1190 said:
Maybe this will push me away from wanting a E-PL1 or GF2.

about time, considering how long Canon has been making their G-series.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Samsung EX1 can put out as well but the lack of a ISO dial makes me swing toward a G11 if I was thinking of buying in this sector. Hopefully Nikon doesn't disappoint with the controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom