• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
FrenchMovieTheme said:
rockstar/take2 were smart to delay the release. look at this. GTA is pretty much going to own spring. everyone is going to buy this game.

i guess they may have last fall also, but there is just nothing out there to stop it at this point
I think the other fall titles would have suffered, not the other way around. I don't know if CoD4 and Halo 3 would have put up the same kind of numbers if everyone was playing GTAIV's multiplayer to the exclusion of everything else.

Everything else would have been crushed under the AAA action game trifecta.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Loudninja said:
The cars do not get enough praise, they look so damn good.

2nd only to Ridge Racer for cool "fake" car designs, and the reflection and material properties - as well as suspension - are epic.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Unbelieveable reviews for this game so far. I knew it was going to get great scores, but almost everyone is giving it a perfect score.

Smokey

Another thing I should add is that is game is BRUTAL. In other GTA games it was almost funny to kill the peds or whoever because the graphics were very cartoony. But in IV because of the amount of detail and sounds of the weapons it's almost disturbing killing random people. I walked up to a car to try and take it and point my pistol at the driver, pulled the trigger and his fucking brains went all over the windshield. I said 'wow'. It's been shown in previews but it's different when you actually do it and here the sound of the guns etc

EDIT: Yes, auto aim can be turned off.

newsguy

Nice, thanks for the quick responses. Not even sure I'll use it, but because it sounds a bit easier than previous GTA's I might turn off auto for a little difficulty boost.

newsguy

Smokey Bones said:
Another thing I should add is that is game is BRUTAL. In other GTA games it was almost funny to kill the peds or whoever because the graphics were very cartoony. But in IV because of the amount of detail and sounds of the weapons it's almost disturbing killing random people. I walked up to a car to try and take it and point my pistol at the driver, pulled the trigger and his fucking brains went all over the windshield. I said 'wow'. It's been shown in previews but it's different when you actually do it and here the sound of the guns etc

I totally agree. Euphoria has a great deal to do with the brutality. I shot at knee caps for 10 minutes and couldn't believe all of the different reactions I got.

Eric WK

Smokey Bones said:

Can the controls be altered in the 360 version, Smokey?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
2 days... 2 fucking days...

TxdoHawk

Tek said:
Apparently if you come up there tomorrow after 6 and pay it off or show them that you paid it off, you get this ticket where you can just present the ticket and get your items. If you don't get this ticket then you still have to go up to the counter even if you paid it off.

I used to work at a Gamestop, so I just wanted to give a warning to people that decide to do this. If you finalize your transaction and get a ticket, don't lose it. No ticket, no game, it's not like the pre-order slips where they can just look up your info (unless they changed this since I left a month ago, but I doubt it).

Smokey

Only thing I'm disliking about the controls is the Auto lock and free aim mode. As you know, you pull the left trigger to auto lock onto a target, but only pull it halfway down for free aim. In the heat of battle I may want to shoot a guy in the head but I'm not thinking "shit I only need to pull halfway to free aim", instead I'm doing the first thing I think of and that's pull left trigger resulting in an auto lock to the general body and not where I want it to be. Wish they somehow did it differently, but I guess it's really just a minor nitpick of mine?

Eric WK said:
Can the controls be altered in the 360 version, Smokey?

Not sure, I haven't tried I'll check when I get back home I'm about to go out. I'll post what I find here.

Eric WK

Seiken said:
2 days... 2 fucking days...

1.39097222 days here.

Smokey Bones said:
Only thing I'm disliking about the controls is the Auto lock and free aim mode. As you know, you pull the left trigger to auto lock onto a target, but only pull it halfway down for free aim. In the heat of battle I may want to shoot a guy in the head but I'm not thinking "shit I only need to pull halfway to free aim", instead I'm doing the first thing I think of and that's pull left trigger resulting in an auto lock to the general body and not where I want it to be. Wish they somehow did it differently, but I guess it's really just a minor nitpick of mine?

Can't you turn off auto-aim?

Smokey

eric wk said:
Can't you turn off auto-aim?

Yes you can but it still comes in handy at certain times for an auto-lock. I guess I can't have it both ways, I just wish they would have somehow handled it differently. It's really not that bad, just the only thing that bothers me with regards to the controls.

MaizeRage25 said:
Thankfully I only have one this semester.
I have 4 cumulative finals and a final essay to look forward to in the next 3 days. Shit.

Once I'm done, I'll be playing this game day and night to relieve the pain.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TxdoHawk said:
I used to work at a Gamestop, so I just wanted to give a warning to people that decide to do this. If you finalize your transaction and get a ticket, don't lose it. No ticket, no game, it's not like the pre-order slips where they can just look up your info (unless they changed this since I left a month ago, but I doubt it).

Three of us at dinner last night - I tell my friend Lars, "Our Gamecrazy still has a couple of spare GTAs but you should call today to get it if you want it."

Our other friend, not a hardcore gamer says, "Oh shit, is it going to be sold out? I kinda want that."

"No, not at all," we say. "You can pick it up anywhere - Target, Wal-Mart etc."

"So why are you guys panicking about getting the last one from a game store? Seems retarded. Just get it at Target. In fact it seems like game stores are the single worst place to buy a game. That's either irony, or stupidity."

Let's just say if his face was a magazine rack, that shit got pushed over.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Stinkles said:
Three of us at dinner last night - I tell my friend Lars, "Our Gamecrazy still has a couple of spare GTAs but you should call today to get it if you want it."

Our other friend, not a hardcore gamer says, "Oh shit, is it going to be sold out? I kinda want that."

"No, not at all," we say. "You can pick it up anywhere - Target, Wal-Mart etc."

"So why are you guys panicking about getting the last one from a game store? Seems retarded. Just get it at Target. In fact it seems like game stores are the single worst place to buy a game. That's either irony, or stupidity."

Let's just say if his face was a magazine rack, that shit got pushed over.

I am starting to feel like that with my Amazon.com order. I have one day shipping, but honestly, I am wondering if I should just go to best buy in the morning and pick up the SE in person instead of waiting for UPS.

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
Not until Tuesday.

Yeah, I'm wondering when you'll actually be able to link your XBL/PSN tag and everything gets going. I'm sure they'll want it ready for our friends across the pond, so hopefully it's up before midnight.

Sasquatch

dskillzhtown said:
I am starting to feel like that with my Amazon.com order. I have one day shipping, but honestly, I am wondering if I should just go to best buy in the morning and pick up the SE in person instead of waiting for UPS.

Me too. I'm really close to canceling my preorder so I can just go and get it on Tuesday. It's cheaper that way too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
newsguy said:
I totally agree. Euphoria has a great deal to do with the brutality. I shot at knee caps for 10 minutes and couldn't believe all of the different reactions I got.

I'll try to play in a realistic way like I did in past GTA games. I try to avoid peds when in a chase, etc., to a certain extent. I think it's fun:D

Wizpig

Linkzg said:
GTAIV by default has accelerate on R2 and Brake on L2.

The alternate option is what GTA3/VC/SA had where you press X to acclerate and square to brake.
I see, well i like the Trigerr accelerate/brake more, so i will use that. [360 version]

Sylar

Banned
One of my wishes for GTA is for them to just feel big and not be so fast. For example, I want it to take like two minutes to walk down a street in a GTA. That'd be sick.

nofi

Smokey Bones said:
Yes you can but it still comes in handy at certain times for an auto-lock. I guess I can't have it both ways, I just wish they would have somehow handled it differently. It's really not that bad, just the only thing that bothers me with regards to the controls.

Squeeze the trigger half way for free aim.

newsguy

nofi said:
Squeeze the trigger half way for free aim.

I think he knows that, but what he's saying is that in the middle of a firefight the last thing you want to do is baby the trigger. When the adrenaline is going you tend to squeeze the shit out of that thing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Smokey Bones said:

I'm looking forward to the political firestorm that's going to accompany this game because of things like this.

It should be epic.

Doodlebug

I hope I can get it tomorrow. Hopefully Tesco or something will shelve it a day early. It's unlikely that such stores where I live will be swarmed with pre-orders, so if I have no luck tomorrow, I'd expect to be able to pick it up on Tuesday for sure.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I just beat San Andreas again. Such a freaking good game. That last mission is one of the hardest GTA missions ever. I have no idea what I'm going to do to burn time till Monday night now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HaloFans said:
My Amazon order shipped!

Fak, I wish I didn't cancel today:lol Anyway I'll get my PS3 and GTA together, and I get GT5P for free:D

Sylar

Banned
Im so nervous for tommororw night. I won't get any sleep. Plus that morning waiting for the email from best Buy saying my copys in store ready to pick up? I'm just going to cry. :lol

Plus I don't even want to think about my CC issue :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Plinko said:
I'm looking forward to the political firestorm that's going to accompany this game because of things like this.

It should be epic.
Rockstar has been putting a lot of ads on tv. I don't think they would be so quick to bite the hand that feeds them. Even the USA Today GTAIV scare story had an undertone of hyping the game, and it seems like a companion to their preview piece.

If you want to understand the political side of it, follow the money. They want to control the gaming industry so they can tax the hell out of it. Vice taxes tend to get more voter approval than the usual kind.

Captain Pants said:
I just beat San Andreas again. Such a freaking good game. That last mission is one of the hardest GTA missions ever. I have no idea what I'm going to do to burn time till Monday night now.

I only play San Andreas to fuck around these days, but I have replayed the last mission of Vice City over again, it was just so awesome.

Top Bottom