• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I didn't preorder the game and holy shit, that was a mistake. It's sold out EVERYWHERE.

EVERYWHERE! I called EVERY FUCKING ELECTRONIC SHOP. FUCK THIS BULLSHIT.
15tgehyn

Seiken said:
I didn't preorder the game and holy shit, that was a mistake. It's sold out EVERYWHERE.

15tgehyn

It sounds like a lot of refresh shipments are coming in tomorrow. You know, in time for the actual release.

;D

BeeDog

Seiken said:

15tgehyn

Just drop by an Elgiganten or Mediamarkt, they'll probably have some copies. ;D

Remy

LJ11 said:
Any store break street in NYC?

I had to get it somehow!

So I've been playing for about two hours now - completed four missions and one date - and here are my quick (mostly) spoiler-free thoughts:

- Install process isn't too bad on the PS3. Load times have been relatively short, although there's a montage before you go on your first date that has a load screen in between 3-5 seconds of in-game footage. Somewhat obnoxious.
- The autosave after every mission? Fantastic.
- I REALLY like the cell phone interface. It feels very natural and useful given the setting. I'm amused that you can change the ringtone and ring type.
- There's a "Sixaxis Tutorial" available through the phone menu, but for those of you who start the game up for the first time on the PS3, don't hit it because when you finish it, you're left outside the airport, which is not quite near the missions you need to do. That said, the reload controller flick is about as awesome as everyone had hoped, and the motion controls for the vehicles I tried (cycle, boat) were great. I stopped at the helicopter because I can't stand the choppers in the GTA games.
- The interface for buying clothing is far quicker/better than the one in SA. Anything in the store can be bought - you walk up to it, hit L1 to try it on, and then hit X to buy or L1 to cancel.
- Played the bowling minigame, and it's not bad. There's no motion control for it or anything.
- Melee combat works well, although I can't dodge worth shit. Haven't gotten a gun yet.
- It's a lot harder to damage a car in this one, or so I'm finding.
- The driving is less floaty than previous GTA games, which means I'm having to drive a little slower to corner properly.
- Framerate is good, haven't noticed any blatant pop-in yet.
- And to whoever asked about celebrity voices, I skimmed the manual and none of the main characters had names I recognized. But radio DJ wise -
Iggy Pop hosts Liberty Rock Radio, Daddy Yankee hosts San Juan Sounds, and Juliette Lewis hosts Radio Broker.

Back to the game!

Remy said:
I had to get it somehow!

So I've been playing for about two hours now - completed four missions and one date - and here are my quick (mostly) spoiler-free thoughts:

- Install process isn't too bad on the PS3. Load times have been relatively short, although there's a montage before you go on your first date that has a load screen in between 3-5 seconds of in-game footage. Somewhat obnoxious.
- I REALLY like the cell phone interface. It feels very natural and useful given the setting. I'm amused that you can change the ringtone and ring type.
- There's a "Sixaxis Tutorial" available through the phone menu, but for those of you who start the game up for the first time on the PS3, don't hit it because when you finish it, you're left outside the airport, which is not quite near the missions you need to do. That said, the reload controller flick is about as awesome as everyone had hoped, and the motion controls for the vehicles I tried (cycle, boat) were great. I stopped at the helicopter because I can't stand the choppers in the GTA games.
- The interface for buying clothing is far quicker/better than the one in SA. Anything in the store can be bought - you walk up to it, hit L1 to try it on, and then hit X to buy or L1 to cancel.
- Played the bowling minigame, and it's not bad. There's no motion control for it or anything.
- Melee combat works well, although I can't dodge worth shit. Haven't gotten a gun yet.
- The driving is less floaty than previous GTA games, which means I'm having to drive a little slower to corner properly.
- And to whoever asked about celebrity voices, I skimmed the manual and none of the main characters had names I recognized. But radio DJ wise -
Iggy Pop hosts Liberty Rock Radio, Daddy Yankee hosts San Juan Sounds, and Juliette Lewis hosts Radio Broker.

Back to the game!

HOT FUCKING SECHS! :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
Just drop by an Elgiganten or Mediamarkt, they'll probably have some copies. ;D
Yeah I'll probably end up trying Elgiganten in Örebro Marieberg :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Do you still have a safe house you can go to to save when you havent just completed a mission? Or do you just save through the cellphone?

Jtrizzy

Remy said:
I had to get it somehow!

Back to the game!

Hey I have a crucial question for you. What control setting are you playing on? Have you tried classic controls, and if so, can you still free aim/shoot with R1 as opposed to R2 for shoot?

Jtwo said:
Do you still have a safe house you can go to to save when you havent just completed a mission? Or do you just save through the cellphone?

I was watching a stream where "autosaving now in progess" just popped up in the top left. I don't think you have to do anything.

Jtwo said:
Nope you can go to your appartement and when you stand next to your bed you can lay down so it'll save and advance 6 or so hours. :)

Not through cellphone AFAIK.

DanielPlainview said:
I was watching a stream where "autosaving now in progess" just popped up in the top left. I don't think you have to do anything.

You can still save in a SafeHouse, though. Which is critical for homes like my own where two people will be playing at the same time.

Remy

Jtwo said:

It's autosave. You don't do ANYTHING, it just saves.

Hey I have a crucial question for you. What control setting are you playing on? Have you tried classic controls, and if so, can you still free aim/shoot with R1 as opposed to R2 for shoot?

I'm using Standard, which has L2 for lockon. Classic has R1 for Lock On. I haven't gotten a gun yet so I can't speak with any authority about the gunplay.

Tr4nce

Jtwo said:

On one of the livestreams I saw Niko in his own apartment. The interiors in this game look so beautiful. Also
, you can watch TV in your apartment. Awesome!

Edit: Remy, how is the atmosphere? And most of all, are you enjoying yourself? How fun is it?

Remy

By the way, to everyone who keeps PMing me asking about where I got it - it's not going to do you any good, because this place was preorders only, and you're not going to be able to walk in and nab one. Sorry, guys.

Remy said:
I'm using Standard, which has L2 for lockon. Classic has R1 for Lock On. I haven't gotten a gun yet so I can't speak with any authority about the gunplay.

can L1 in classic mode be used for free aim or is it only lock on?

if you haven't got a gun yet to try out, please report when you find out. You will be a hero among men.

lol @ the people wanting to get this today. why do you care to wait 1 day!? we're not talking about madden here. dont you people have day jobs to make the time pass faster!?

:D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gtaps31.jpg

Never have I been more excited for a Monday than I am now.

Jtrizzy

FrenchMovieTheme said:
lol @ the people wanting to get this today. why do you care to wait 1 day!? we're not talking about madden here. dont you people have day jobs to make the time pass faster!?

:D

madden_09_article.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
FYI

Listening to "Moanin'" by Charlie Mingus while viewing GTA photos is all new level cool for me.

I love this whole "connected to my laptop and the 360 and the internet at the same time" deal:lol

somebody get on and engage me in a talk chat, i want to see how well my headset works. :D

Ploid 3.0

Remy said:
I had to get it somehow!

- And to whoever asked about celebrity voices, I skimmed the manual and none of the main characters had names I recognized. But radio DJ wise - Iggy Pop hosts Liberty Rock Radio, Daddy Yankee hosts San Juan Sounds, and Juliette Lewis hosts Radio Broker.

Back to the game!

Awesome, I can't wait to try the motion controls, especially the helicopter. It sounds perfect for the heli.

Xdrive05

Iamthegamer said:
I GOT MY XBL WORKING!

neoGAF HERE I COME!:D :D :D

I'll see you online sometime on Tuesday! We should do some free roaming gameplay and make up rules as we go.

I'm so conflicted about GTA4. Do I work my way through the single player first or do jump into multiplayer pretty early on?

Linkzg said:

if you haven't got a gun yet to try out, please report when you find out. You will be a hero among men.

Yes please let us know

...will really be dissapointed if classic mode really means that:

- R1 to lock-on and Circle to shoot

=(

Xdrive05 said:
I'll see you online sometime on Tuesday! We should do some free roaming gameplay and make up rules as we go.

I'm so conflicted about GTA4. Do I work my way through the single player first or do jump into multiplayer pretty early on?

Unless my friends are constantly inviting me to join games I will be playing strictly single player for a long long time.

In relation to saving, is the game capable of having multiple save files to play from?

I want to play this game with my friends, but want to do it on a separate save file so I get to the play through all the missions.

Remy

Linkzg said:

In classic mode, R1 is aim/lock on and L1 is fire. Circle is also fire. Just checked.

In relation to saving, is the game capable of having multiple save files to play from?

I'm showing multiple save slots on the PS3 version.

Top Bottom