• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah trust me man, I am over the moon that the jazz station is there and will most definitely be the most played station besides Lazlow's junk.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
speedpop said:
Worked for Liberty City

*whimpers in a corner*

Any idea if we can play mp3s into the radio stations, ala PC versions?

Nope, Rockstar said they didn't implement a custom station in either versions.

i called a few eb games locations in the toronto gta area and was told that midnight launches should be confirmed this weekend. id call your local store just to double check.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
hitoshi said:
In the absolutely sumptuous EDGE article last month Houser mentioned that his father is a real Jazz junkie - the Jazz station is the replacement. Don't be upset, it will satisfy your needs. (Ok, to be honest, I will really miss the Pavarotti pieces, but that's why custom soundtrack was invented)
The beautiful thought of hearing Jazz in the world of GTA, especially the very New York Liberty City, makes the wait for this game all the more difficult. While the characters are typically devoid of law-abiding morality, they are not unlike the characters in the Sopranos where in their own twisted way they make you connect with them amidst all the craziness and violence of the world. And like Jazz, it is connecting with these elements within what is sometimes perceived as a disjointed mess that makes the GTA games so enjoyable.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
DenogginizerOS said:
The beautiful thought of hearing Jazz in the world of GTA, especially the very New York Liberty City, makes the wait for this game all the more difficult. While the characters are typically devoid of law-abiding morality, they are not unlike the characters in the Sopranos where in their own twisted way they make you connect with them amidst all the craziness and violence of the world. And like Jazz, it is connecting with these elements within what is sometimes perceived as a disjointed mess that makes the GTA games so enjoyable.
Basically what I wanted to say but I couldn't make it word right.

All that came out of my mouth was "MILES DAVIES!!!!!"

Himuro said:
I'm starting to agree.

Also: there are a few features that people may want to be surprised about and find out for themselves. I don't buy this "why are you in an official thread if you are scared of spoilers" thing. I'm pretty positive some people didn't want to know about Base Jumping from SA, and that was revealed one week before release.

Ricky
being in GTAIV isn't a spoiler to me. But the COMEDY CLUB aspect is. I don't know wtf it is.

I guess we need some ground rules about what is and is not a spoiler. Obviously some people feel that mentioning actors who did voice work for the game is a spoiler. I never would have thought of that as a spoiler, personally, but I will spoiler that kind of information from now on.

Ramenman

Sorry to ask but I haven't been following anything on this one, are there any gameplay vids or do we only have 30 seconds-long trailers ?

Sylar

Banned
Ramenman said:
Sorry to ask but I haven't been following anything on this one, are there any gameplay vids or do we only have 30 seconds-long trailers ?

Theres never been a gameplay vid for any GTA post 2.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Ramenman said:

Somebody might leak something, but Rockstar never releases gameplay videos of GTA.

Geoff9920

DenogginizerOS said:
Oh wow, there's a jazz station? :D Now that's a dream come true. No custom sound track needed. :)

jaaz

Is this true? Has exclusive split-screen muti-player action for the PS3 version been confirmed or are these guys just repeating the same rumor?

http://theexplodingbarrel.com/?p=165

"Split Personality

Say what you will about the benefits of LIVE over the PSN, the PS3 version of GTA IV - and only the PS3 version - will allow you and a friend to team up for some local multi-player action via split-screen. GTA IV has never offered online play on the consoles before, and it’s nice to know that I’ll be able to play with my partners in crime face to face when putting the new online game modes through their paces. Furthermore, although PSN already offers gamers most of what LIVE provides, and will only improve when Home launches in the near future. While it’s a bit early to start singing Home’s praises, given the level of creative talent at Rockstar, it’s hard to imagine them not taking advantage of this new online space in exciting ways."

If it IS true, PS3 version for me. Playing together with friends when they come over would be too much fun to pass up.

Defcon

Banned
Split screen multi is too good to be true. Surely that information would have been released by Rockstar a long time ago.

RumFore

Banned
Sylar said:
New York doesn't have a major classical radio station, so they didn't make one.

You are wrong on this. It has CBS FM and another one which name I forget. I listen to them all the time to get my 80's and earlier fill.

Ariexv

jaaz said:
Is this true? Has exclusive split-screen muti-player action for the PS3 version been confirmed or are these guys just repeating the same rumor?

"Split Personality

Say what you will about the benefits of LIVE over the PSN, the PS3 version of GTA IV - and only the PS3 version - will allow you and a friend to team up for some local multi-player action via split-screen. GTA IV has never offered online play on the consoles before, and it’s nice to know that I’ll be able to play with my partners in crime face to face when putting the new online game modes through their paces. Furthermore, although PSN already offers gamers most of what LIVE provides, and will only improve when Home launches in the near future. While it’s a bit early to start singing Home’s praises, given the level of creative talent at Rockstar, it’s hard to imagine them not taking advantage of this new online space in exciting ways."

If it IS true, PS3 version for me. Playing together with friends when they come over would be too much fun to pass up.
Seems like everyones quoting that CGreview guy.... even though his new "review" says that it's been cut.

FrankT

Ariexv said:
Seems like everyones quoting that CGreview guy.... even though his new "review" says that it's been cut.

Haha, does it really now? That guy is a joke. It will be nice when we really find out all the true features of each version. Still would like to know if there is an optional 360 install.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I hope it's true!

Ariexv

Jtyettis said:
Haha, does it really now? That guy is a joke. It will be nice when we really find out all the true features of each version. Still would like to know if there is an optional 360 install.
Yep, he pretty much takes back all the "wtf?" stuff in his previous review and just repeats everything that the other reviews listed

http://cgreviews.com/

You know when exclusive splitscreen multiplayer and San Andreas sized exclusive DLC starts getting mentioned, the thread is heading in a bad direction.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ariexv said:
So that's what? The 3rd source claiming the DLC is SA size? If it's true I wouldn't be suprised if it came out in Disc form a few weeks after the DLC form and MS massively pushed the new city As "GTA IV:San Andreas 2" for Christmas..... maybe that's what they're waiting for to do the price-cut.

Its the third source claming from the original BS article. Here's the direct quote from Sam Houser:

"I think the mission packs with the episodes are going to be pretty deep, offering another full-on adventure in this world. I think we will be in a position to market them not a million miles away from the way the boxed game is marketed."

That's not to say there wont be some new locals, but a new game the size of San Andreas is NOT happening.

Captain Pants

Felix Lighter said:
You know when exclusive splitscreen multiplayer and San Andreas sized exclusive DLC starts getting mentioned, the thread is heading in a bad direction.

Yup... ugly ugly things will happen. Until the ban hammer comes out anyway. (not suggesting that people posting this 'news' should get banned... I'm just predicting that it would lead to an all out console war derailing...)

Psychotext said:
So is there any advantage to registering on that thing early?

We'll find out but I just think everyone, myself included, is so hyped about the game right now, we want to pounce all over anything GTA IV related.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Alright, is there anyone here on GAF that's actually going to go for the top ten people (or whatever it was) who finish the game first?

Jim

Psychotext said:
So is there any advantage to registering on that thing early?

Since it's linked to your Gamertag/PSN ID, I'm guessing (hoping?) there's no need to rush to secure a particular name.

Captain Pants

chubigans said:
Alright, is there anyone here on GAF that's actually going to go for the top ten people (or whatever it was) who finish the game first?

I almost want to... I'll be able to spend 18 to 20 hours on it in the first day, but as nuts as I am about GTA, I'm sure there are people out there that are nuttier and that they would beat me to it if I tried. My plan now is to just put in the disc and see what happens. I don't have any set plans for whether I will play single player or multi first, or anything like that.

Is this the first multiplatform game with a shared leaderboard? I'm assuming the leaderboards will be shared acrossed platforms, am I correct?

Jim

Felix Lighter said:
Is this the first multiplatform game with a shared leaderboard? I'm assuming the leaderboards will be shared acrossed platforms, am I correct?

I'm almost hoping not... just because there may be some type of exploit or trick found on one platform, and not the other that could skew the stats greatly. Especially in such a complex game.

BenjaminBirdie said:
GHIII had them as well. Possibly others.

Oh well then it's not unprecedented.

Jim said:
I'm almost hoping not... just because there may be some type of exploit or trick found on one platform, and not the other that could skew the stats greatly. Especially in such a complex game.

Yeah that would be an issue but if that were to happen I would hope that we would have an option to filter by platform. Also, it may expose the exploit sooner. It's not really a huge issue either way for me. I like viewing my stats but my leader board standings aren't that important to me.

Sylar

Banned
Am I the only one whose not going to ever touch multiplayer?

Also i'm getting it once Best Buy opens that morning and have until like 2 to play it :(

jaaz said:

"Split Personality

I call BS.

Bossman

Sylar said:

Yes.

GTA 4 multiplayer is something really unique and fresh. The singleplayer is same old stuff with better graphics.

FFChris

Sylar said:

Also i'm getting it once Best Buy opens that morning and have until like 2 to play it :(

Well, I don't currently have an internet connection for my Xbox, so I won't be playing for a good few months. The single player mode should be more than enough.

Bossman said:
Yes.

GTA 4 multiplayer is something really unique and fresh. The singleplayer is same old stuff with better graphics.

Wat?

jaaz said:

"Split Personality

Stephen Totilo posted on GAF that he asked them point-blank if there was split screen in the game and they said "No."

It would be awesome, though.

Zoink

chubigans said:

I assume that will be 10 games journos/bloggers who have already finished the game on a preview copy and with early access to a retail copy...

Top Bottom