• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

painey

chubigans said:
Alright, is there anyone here on GAF that's actually going to go for the top ten people (or whatever it was) who finish the game first?

the game will hit the net early and the top leaderboards will be filled by pirates with not enough sense but to play early and leave records that they pirated it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sylar said:
Am I the only one whose not going to ever touch multiplayer?

Also i'm getting it once Best Buy opens that morning and have until like 2 to play it :(

Why would you avoid the multiplayer? Its going to add so much more to the game...

zig

Zoink said:
I assume that will be 10 games journos/bloggers who have already finished the game on a preview copy and with early access to a retail copy...
I'm sure they thought of that, the leaderboard probably only counts games that were started on the 29th or later.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If the multi-theft-auto PC mod is anything to go by then this is gonna be EPIC. I know they can't touch the on-the-fly racing and custom maps/tracks but this console version feels way up there in terms of features/modes.

raYne

_tetsuo_ said:
Why would you avoid the multiplayer? Its going to add so much more to the game...
must. resist. posting. blanket. statement. that "No one plays GTA for multiplayer. They play for singleplayer and DJ banter"..

*whew* That was close.

dork said:
Will free roam mode have cops? The multiplayer free roam
Yep. Cops, peds, traffic, everything. With host control, of course.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
dork said:
Will free roam mode have cops? The multiplayer free roam

yup, but the host can control whether they are in the multi-player or not.

Question: In multi-player can the host choose to have predestrians and no cops or we cannot have one without the other.

I want to create a multi-player session with only predestrians and have my friends and I go wild in a city with no cops. :D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
raYne said:
must. resist. posting. blanket. statement. that "No one plays GTA for multiplayer. They play for singleplayer and DJ banter"..

*whew* That was close.

O that was him? lol didnt realize.

MMaRsu

It seems Hangman's Noose won't be the only coop mission available, this is from a Dutch hands-on of the MP :

Van volwaardige coöperatieve mode is misschien geen sprake, maar er werd ons beloofd dat dit in ieder geval niet de enige coöpmissie zal zijn.

"There is no full coop story mode, however we were told that this won't be the only coop mission. "

But this IS from a DUTCH hands-on and it's something that can never be trusted 100%.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
It seems Hangman's Noose won't be the only coop mission available, this is from a Dutch hands-on of the MP :

"There is no full coop story mode, however we were told that this won't be the only coop mission. "

But this IS from a DUTCH hands-on and it's something that can never be trusted 100%.
I hope not. Also, it was stressed in a few interviews that it's "over" 15 mp modes. So I can't wait to see what the others are.

neojubei said:
yup, but the host can control whether they are in the multi-player or not.

Question: In multi-player can the host choose to have predestrians and no cops or we cannot have one without the other.

I want to create a multi-player session with only predestrians and have my friends and I go wild in a city with no cops. :D
Shouldn't be a problem.

Kordos

dork said:
Excellent. If this game has a good lobby system, then goodbye every other game...ever

Yeah. I've heard no one mention "matchmaking", and I'm afraid to ask lest my fears confirmed.

Just going to wait patiently to find out... so patiently...

MMaRsu

Man I got my shit all ready for GTAIV to play

tvanyone.jpg

raYne

Kordos said:
Yeah. I've heard no one mention "matchmaking", and I'm afraid to ask lest my fears confirmed.

Just going to wait patiently to find out... so patiently...
In most of the previews, the media weren't shown any of the matchmaking or lobby systems. It seems Rockstar just put them in games that were already up and running.

However, Rockstar themselves said they've done extensive network testing between all their sites. So we'll have to wait and see.

Bossman

MMaRsu said:

Well obviously there are going to be more than 1 co-op mission. Hangman's Noose will be fun for couple hours but after you have completed it half a dozen times, you don't want to play it again.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Bossman said:
Well obviously there are going to be more than 1 co-op mission. Hangman's Noose will be fun for couple hours but after you have completed it half a dozen times, you don't want to play it again.

With all the host options, I think you're grossly underestimating this mode's depth.

Goreomedy said:
With all the host options, I think you're grossly underestimating this mode's depth.
Yeah, the host options are crazy. There's going to be lots of variety in the way you can set things up. I can't wait to try having tank races. :D

This is going to be the longest 11 days ever.

newsguy

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Yeah, the host options are crazy. There's going to be lots of variety in the way you can set things up. I can't wait to try having tank races. :D

What tanks :(

I've pre-ordered meself the Special Edition for 360 month ago for £70 but after seeing all the stuff you get with it I'm having second thoughts, is it actually worth getting the special edtion? I am a fan of series ever since the first GTA, but I'm unsure about the Special Edtion. What do you guys think? Is it worth the extra £30?

raYne

newsguy said:
What tanks :(
:*(

XenonOxide said:
I've pre-ordered meself the Special Edition for 360 month ago for £70 but after seeing all the stuff you get with it I'm having second thoughts, is it actually worth getting the special edtion? I am a fan of series ever since the first GTA, but I'm unsure about the Special Edtion. What do you guys think? Is it worth the extra £30?
For a bag I'll never use, a lockbox that'll just take up space and a partial sample soundtrack & small limited art book? Not really.

The keychain is pretty nice, but not £30 nice.

Still, it's your money. :)

Took £15 off the special edition with my GAME points :p £55 doesnt seem so bad as £70 =D

Loving all the avatars, guys. Gonna have to try make me one of those.

Edit: Woo, got me some homemade Mojo!

MMaRsu

XenonOxide said:

Not to me. But if you like it keep it.

I wouldn't buy it but I'm pressed for monies right now anyway

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Not to me. But if you like it keep it.

I wouldn't buy it but I'm pressed for monies right now anyway
You know, if people followed my instructions that wouldn't happen...

:p

MMaRsu

raYne said:
You know, if people followed my instructions that wouldn't happen...

:p

Dude I'm always pressed for monies, I spent way too much money on way too much shit I don't really need.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
AGGGGGHHH I NEED THIS GAME.

I finished finals yesterday and now my hype has quadrupled. And it was already overwhelming.
you're getting the 360 one right?

cause if you are we can shoot each other in the head online

Teknoman

BobFromPikeCreek said:

Or Army helicopter races.

Bossman said:
Yes.

GTA 4 multiplayer is something really unique and fresh. The singleplayer is same old stuff with better graphics.

Not really. The Single player has been revamped so much, its nothing like any GTA before it. Things take ALOT more planning to carry out than just careening across the screen over the person with the indicator for a mission target. Not to mention all the attacking mechanics have been totally revamped from what i've read so far.

Bossman said:

Maybe, maybe not. Could be like Contra where its fun to play over and over and improve on how to complete the mission. Not to mention the many different ways that are supposed to be availible to do so. Besides, didnt they say a few factors in that mode would be randomized as well?

disappeared said:
I'm more looking forward to single player, but I'll hop online on PSN to join some GAF crew.

Both equally for me. Hope a good number of GAF have the PS3 version as well. Wouldnt want to miss out. Anyway, today's the 17th...when is pre-registration for the Social Club supposed to open?

homez99

MMaRsu said:
m8 I purchased Shadowrun couple days back, wanna play a couple of games soon?

Yeah definitely, will get me all trained up to join the social for when GTA IV finally touches down. I hope the Social Club comes up soon, the wait for the game is just excruciating now I'm back at University and my days are filled with such intellectual challenges as deciding what time I'm going to get up.

Top Bottom