• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

tha_con

Banned
Himuro said:
One thing I've noticed so far which is freaking me out: no gangs. Where the hell are the gangs? Ever since the beginning you could tell various gangs by the type of cars they sport, or the type of clothes they wear. I haven't encountered any gangsters in this game at all in the game world.

I was thinking the SAME thing.

dralla

is there any place to buy the gloves Nico is wearing in the promo shots? right now I'm using a white suit I bought in Perseus, now I kill in style. cost me 2 grand though :[

dralla said:
is there any place to buy the gloves Nico is wearing in the promo shots? right now I'm using a white suit I bought in Perseus, now I kill in style. cost me 2 grand though :[
Im looking for that to

Acid08

Banned
Any other PS3 owners not being able to connect? Every time I select multiplayer from the phone is says connecting and it always says cannot connect at this time. I'm signed into PSN, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Aladuf

Banned
Acid08 said:
Any other PS3 owners not being able to connect? Every time I select multiplayer from the phone is says connecting and it always says cannot connect at this time. I'm signed into PSN, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Nah, it's been fine for me tonight... I played a few hours of multiplayer and it worked just fine.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
God's Beard said:
Got caught
clicking on a pedo site
and was insta 4-starred. exited the internet cafe to a helicopter and a swat van XD
Holy fucking shit!
On that note I need to find an internet cafe myself, sounds fun.

Remy

One more NYC inside joke: one Cluckin' Bell was shuttered by the Liberty City equivilent of the DOH. It's in Algonquin on the corner of Wardite Street and Exeter Avenue.

2455483725_941210906f.jpg

2456313572_ae9d8e73f1.jpg

More info on my site.

I'm really loving the graphics after almost 10 hours of play time. At first, I was kinda pissed about the jaggies and draw distance blurring, but I don't even notice them anymore. Everything looks great, especially in motion. The weather effects & transitions, too, have to be the best I've seen in a game.

On a side note, I'm still blown away by the new physics engine. The animation of bodies tumbling and flying through the air never gets old. I also love how when you bump into someone, they drop the object their holding or get pushed over. When I was running up to the monorail, I accidentally bumped into a woman waiting for the train. She tripped and fell onto the tracks right as a train approached, crushing her into oblivion.

Sean

Banned
God's Beard said:
Got caught
clicking on a pedo site
and was insta 4-starred. exited the internet cafe to a helicopter and a swat van XD

:lol holy crap! I've gotta try that sometime, haven't really messed around in the internet cafes yet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Just started the game. Am I really supposed to go through missions like take my cousin to the diner and take Michelle on a date before anything significant happens? Did I miss something?

Raistlin

Himuro said:
"The Puzzle Game You've Played Before"

That would be it :)

So ... I hijacked a bus, and picked up Michelle in it for a date. We went to the Irish Pub, and I'm trashed.

Is driving drunk an automatic pull-over if you go by a cop? I probably shouldn't get hauled off to jail with her as a passenger :p

How long does it take for the effect to wear off? She wants to go home :lol

Acid08

Banned
Onix said:
That would be it :)

So ... I hijacked a bus, and picked up Michelle in it for a date. We went to the Irish Pub, and I'm trashed.

Is driving drunk an automatic pull-over if you go by a cop? I probably shouldn't get hauled off to jail with her as a passenger :p

How long does it take for the effect to wear off? She wants to go home :lol
I did the same thing but with a car. It's instant pull over if they catch you. I got her home fine though. I guess I'm just good at drunk driving :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
After you get someone's perk, can you lose it again? I'd rather blow off all of their calls and focus on other people but not if I end up pissing them off and losing their abilities.

Raistlin

Acid08 said:
I did the same thing but with a car. It's instant pull over if they catch you. I got her home fine though. I guess I'm just good at drunk driving :D

So if you obey the traffic laws, you can actually drive by a cop wasted? Lulz

That may be a tad difficult in a bus ... but I guess I might as well try.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Papercuts said:
After you get someone's perk, can you lose it again? I'd rather blow off all of their calls and focus on other people but not if I end up pissing them off and losing their abilities.

Wait...whats this? What are perks in this game? I know that I got Nico's cousins Cab job thingy but theres other things like that, that open up?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
BlueTsunami said:
Wait...whats this? What are perks in this game? I know that I got Nico's cousins Cab job thingy but theres other things like that, that open up?

Yeah, when you can call someone on your phone to hang out that usually means they have a perk you can unlock if you get them to like you enough.

Onix said:
So if you obey the traffic laws, you can actually drive by a cop wasted? Lulz

That may be a tad difficult in a bus ... but I guess I might as well try.

Nah, you'll get one star just passing a cop while drunk, even if you're driving alright. I'd try anyway though, drunk bus driving is a rare opportunity you shouldn't waste. :p

East Lake

Papercuts said:
I believe you can lose them if you start ignoring the person, at one point I had Little Jacob's gun service thing but I haven't been spending much time with him for a while and it's no longer there as an option.

At my first mission I had to do a few times and its a close quarters combat one. Kinda lame that you can't kick open a door and have it stay open and then snipe from outside the door. Instead you have to step inside the door and potentially eat a few shots.

Teknoman

Stoney Mason said:
At my first mission I had to do a few times and its a close quarters combat one. Kinda lame that you can't kick open a door and have it stay open and then snipe from outside the door. Instead you have to step inside the door and potentially eat a few shots.

Get a shotgun and blast the door, then shoot whoever is inside. Physics are your friend, remember that.

traveler

Not Wario
How the hell do I do this Little Jacob run? I follow the line almost perfectly without slowing down and still can't make it to this place in time.

Teknoman

traveler said:
How the hell do I do this Little Jacob run? I follow the line almost perfectly without slowing down and still can't make it to this place in time.

I guess drive more recklessly or bail out by the yellow arrow.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
this shyt is busted, supported video formats are noted as 720-1080i-1080p. My ps3 is set to 1080p (I have a 52" LCD 1080p Aquos) and the game plays in 720p

OMG, I was driving around, when I heard an ad for Brucie's shop. I went to Tw@, and typed in the website as directed: bruciesexecutivelifestyleautos.com :lol so funny. Of course, that lead to half an hour of browsing the web, and clicking through my spam emails.

I haven't found the pedo site, but I'll be looking next time :lol :lol

This game continues to exceed my expectations

Maggot9

Banned
QVT said:
What the hell are you supposed to do in Undress for Kill?
That's where I'm at right now.
i can kill the guy counting the money easily, but the other two have people with them

I asked this in the comparison thread, but I figure I'd ask here too. Is voice chat totally fucked up for anyone else in MP on the PS3 version? I can't hear what my team mates are saying and they can barely hear me. I was having the same prob in the MGO beta. Everyone's sounds so faint you can't hear a word they're saying.

careksims

One of the best bad ass moments ever.

The mission where you must save your cousin and shoot the guy in head when your cousin's held hostage. I felt so worked up wanting to save him and shooting all those guys down.

Just sooo good. So bad ass. :D

Mrbob

Just played about 3 hours straight online with a bunch of gaffers such a great time.

The game modes are amazing. Heck, even Team Deathmatch is great fun in this open world setting and I've come to loathe this game mode in all other games.

Surfheart

Revengeance said:
OMG, I was driving around, when I heard an ad for Brucie's shop. I went to Tw@, and typed in the website as directed: bruciesexecutivelifestyleautos.com :lol so funny. Of course, that lead to half an hour of browsing the web, and clicking through my spam emails.

I haven't found the pedo site, but I'll be looking next time :lol :lol

This game continues to exceed my expectations

:lol Yeah there are is some Miyamoto level of attention to detail going on here.

The game is amazing. Playing some free mode last night and I jumped in a chopper with some guy. Flying over the city blew my mind... just so detailed and then the fact that you can land and be in this incredibly detailed world? WOW. It's something I've dreamed about being able to do in games for the longest time and now it's a reality.

stewacide

Bought an Xbox today primarily for this game (already have a heavily used Wii), played for around 5 hours, and am completely stunned with the scale and depth of this game. I figured I'd play it like the previous GTA games: use cheats to unlock the map as quickly as possibly and then just screw around... but the story and the atmosphere sucked me in from the first act (off the ship).

I've decided to put it down for a week or two while I finish off all the half-played games on my plate, so I can take my time soaking in all of GTA4 with no other games on my mind.

Teknoman

bdizzle said:
I asked this in the comparison thread, but I figure I'd ask here too. Is voice chat totally fucked up for anyone else in MP on the PS3 version? I can't hear what my team mates are saying and they can barely hear me. I was having the same prob in the MGO beta. Everyone's sounds so faint you can't hear a word they're saying.

All I can say is turn the Blue tooth volume all the way up, then turn its output volume all the way up in the XMB itself. Basically just blast all volumes related to mic functionality. When I did get in a room earlier, I could hear the other person really clear.

However it does seem a problem in general with PS3 bluetooth compatibility that its hard to hear people at normal settings. Why Sony hasnt addressed this, or more people havent complained...I dont know. Same for why isnt there an "official" sony brand headset.

Stoney Mason said:
Ah. Thanks. That does work.

Yeah i've been trying to see how physics can help me in every situation. Trying to think just a little more out of the box than usual. Though it would've made more sense to be able to kick a door open with a gun in hand.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Put in about 6 hours so far(360 version). Love the game, hate the driving but I think I'll get used to it.

I'm up to the
"Shadow" mission for Little Jacob[/spolier]

Guys....Being new to the GTA franchise, I would like to know what the fastest way to earn money is other than doing missions? Also does stealing cars and beating up the regular civilians benefit Niko at all. All it seems to do is attract the cops. Can I actually rob folks for cash?

Teknoman

isamu said:
Put in about 6 hours so far(360 version). Love the game, hate the driving but I think I'll get used to it.

I'm up to the
"Shadow" mission for Little Jacob

Guys....Being new to the GTA franchise, I would like to know what the fastest way to earn money is other than doing missions? Also does stealing cars and beating up the regular civilians benefit Niko at all. All it seems to do is attract the cops. Can I actually rob folks for cash?

Sure you can, just lure them off to a dark alley like you would...well PROBABLY would in real life. Stealing cars just nets you a ride. Just keep bumping into em to get them riled up or just beat em up outside of a police car's view.

BlueTsunami

isamu said:
PGuys....Being new to the GTA franchise, I would like to know what the fastest way to earn money is other than doing missions? Also does stealing cars and beating up the regular civilians benefit Niko at all. All it seems to do is attract the cops. Can I actually rob folks for cash?

In past GTAs it was doing Firetruck missions :lol :D. Did they take that out of this GTA?

Brashnir

BlueTsunami said:
In past GTAs it was doing Firetruck missions :lol :D. Did they take that out of this GTA?

haven't tried. every time I've seen a firetruck, I've been on a mission already.

as an aside, I never used them to make money in SA. I just rode a bike around the hood and murdered drug dealers for cash in that one.

BlueTsunami

Brashnir said:
haven't tried. every time I've seen a firetruck, I've been on a mission already.

The thing is, I got in an Ambulance and tried pressing some buttons and nothing came up. I hope the standard missions (Firetruck, Cabbie, Ambulance, Cruiser) missions are all retained (as far as I know, the Cruiser and Cabbie missions are).

In SA, you could chain the Firetruck missions like 11 times to get $50,000. It was awesome. But some would probably consider it broken.

scoobs

BlueTsunami said:
The thing is, I got in an Ambulance and tried pressing some buttons and nothing came up. I hope the standard missions (Firetruck, Cabbie, Ambulance, Cruiser) missions are all retained (as far as I know, the Cruiser and Cabbie missions are).

In SA, you could chain the Firetruck missions like 11 times to get $50,000. It was awesome. But some would probably consider it broken.

Firetruck and ambulance missions have been taken out of this game. But police ones are still there.

BlueTsunami

scoobs said:
Firetruck and ambulance missions have been taken out of this game. But police ones are still there.

;___________________________________________________;

I'm just tryna do fulfill a Civil Service yo!

LJ11

Funniest moment so far was a minor fender bender that turned into a huge explosion.

Rammed into the back of car, the car went flying into a lamppost knocking it down. The passengers get out to check their vehicle, but they catch on fire because of the sparks/electricity from the lamppost. As they lay on the ground burning, their car catches on fire as well. It explode moments later and takes a couple of other cars with it. Good stuff.

Very addicting game so far. I never finished a GTA, would always lose interest, but this game has me hooked.

YagizY

I have a questions GAF, I just finished the Shadow mission of Little Jacobs and I have some questions

1. People are talking about comedy clubs like the Ricky Gervais one, is that on another island or have I already unlocked that? How are you supposed to randomly find it?

2. How do I get more clothing shops, currently all I have is that shitty Russian one at the start of the game.

3. If I'm low on health, how do I fill up my bar? Finding hotdog stands are hard, can I go to Roman's place and just sleep or something?

Rorschach

Mrbob said:
Just played about 3 hours straight online with a bunch of gaffers such a great time.

The game modes are amazing. Heck, even Team Deathmatch is great fun in this open world setting and I've come to loathe this game mode in all other games.
So awesome. The whole time there was nothing but laughter and gunshots all about. :D

Flunkie

Banned
I had the greatest time with Aladuf and uber_paddler tonight in straight-up Deathmatch. There was a point in which Uber ran into my car and smashed the front in so bad that one wheel was locked up and skidding the whole time. The vehicle deformation is craaaazy good.

Alex

The attention to detail is lightyears beyond anything else, the fake internet is just nuts, also very cool how much of it they kept bubbled into the GTA universe.

I was hoping the framerate would be smoother, but the visuals are top class, to me. So many great setpieces and details, amazing lighting and weather too.

Top Bottom