• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Capoeira

newsguy said:
Now picture being in free roam with some buddies. One guy steals that particular truck, and parks it by the bridge. Now everyone can take turns trying to jump over the bridge on bikes. Or why not park 2 of those trucks head to head and coordinate simultaneous motorcycle jumps that end in midair collisions. Free Roam mode is going to have legs.
No, no. Mid air jousting with rocket launchers! Winner lands on the other side in triumph. Loser sinks to the bottom and plots revenge.

hitoshi

Dear Mr Takacs,

Order number(s): *******

I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for Grand Theft Auto IV is now being processed. The order will be despatched by your chosen delivery method in time to reach you for the day of release.

By using the GAME 1st To Play Preorder Service you have ensured that you will be among the first people to receive Grand Theft Auto IV, and we are confident that you will be happy with the order, our service and our speedy delivery!

Hell Yeah!

DrXym

So when does the review embargo end? Do Rockstar intend to coast on marketing bullshit and hype or will potential purchasers have the chance to read a proper review before launch?

zaidr said:
:eek:

:(

I just died a little inside...whats going on with GTA's graphics?

What in the hell are you talking about?! Considering the sheer scope and size of Liberty City and all that you can do in it...you're actually complaining about the graphics?! STFU.

DrXym said:
So when does the review embargo end? Do Rockstar intend to coast on marketing bullshit and hype or will potential purchasers have the chance to read a proper review before launch?

Game Trailers will have their review up Sunday. With that said, do you think Rockstar is paying people off for these good reviews or something?

kaizoku said:
fuck you you just cost me another £200 :(

j/k

argh I dont know, I'm gonna feel super guilty if I buy a new 360 anytime soon. I just spent the equivalent of an arcade 360 on headphones + jvc sudh1 unit to give my ps3 surround sound - all in preparation of playing gta iv and mgs4. I suppose I could apply it to my 360 as well....

why couldnt sony just make the online good :(

Fallout-NL - I'm also from Europe. I don't consider the post a troll, its definitely part of my decision making process and as stated earlier I'm waiting so theres more chance of me getting one of the later gen 360s which are supposedly better.

You also reminded me that XBL isn't cheap/free so I think I will just get the PS3 one for now. Peace of mind and solo play will tide me over and maybe...just maybe the online component will still be ok.

rod - good times man :D Add me on PSN too! my tag is Bi-7.

OK, your choice. Just remember there is some insane bundle deals going on that should more than make up for the cost of LIVE. (which you will need anyways if you want to play Gears online.) ;)

knee

Seiken said:
YwfmkjIgH.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

TOTALLY CAUGHT THE BULLSHOT-- PLEASE EVERYONE SCROLL RIGHT AND CONNECT THE DOTS

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
knee said:

If anything, this is the anti-bullshot.

It shows the typical repeated vehicle/ped syndrome of the earlier games.

DrXym

SolidSnakex said:
Game Trailers will have their review up Sunday. With that said, do you think Rockstar is paying people off for these good reviews or something?

I wouldn't put it past them to seed the market with a few "reviews" that they obtain with a moneyhat or freebies.

When the embargo lifts we'll see what the general gaming press has to think about the title. It would be nice to read some bonafide reviews before the actual release of the game.

knee said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You honestly think that's a bullshot? Bullshots are screens that generally use unrealistic amounts of AA and run at higher resolutions. That's doing neither. Don't confuse repeated character models with a screen being a bullshot.

MMaRsu

pixel monkey said:
What in the hell are you talking about?! Considering the sheer scope and size of Liberty City and all that you can do in it...you're actually complaining about the graphics?! STFU.

Yes, shouldn't we be able to?

Twig

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You honestly think that's a bullshot? Bullshots are screens that generally use unrealistic amounts of AA and run at higher resolutions. That's doing neither. Don't confuse repeated character models with a screen being a bullshot.
Yeah, his reasoning is stupid.

I am curious, though, as to how the car found its way onto the back of that truck, considering the three taxis directly behind the truck. There's like... no path TO the back of the truck!

EDIT: Nevermind, they're not DIRECTLY behind. They're slightly to the side. Car could squeeze in between the taxis and the other cars. Tight fit, though.

knee

SolidSnakex said:

I ask for your forgiveness, Merriam-Webster.

not really

For the italian mates - I just heard a friend of mine at Gamestop and they received a memo: tomorrow (23) they'll receive the game and there's a serious "danger" that Auchan and Carrefour will break the street date. If this will happen, Gamestop will do it too, so they'll have to get ready to sell the game starting tomorrow. Let's hope this will be the case :D

zaidr

pixel monkey said:

Those people in the cars look like south park residents. They look like they've been painted onto the fucking windshield. I didn't say anything the first time we started seeing a graphical downgrade from the first few screenshots (if it meant better framerates, I was ok with that), but now some of these coming out are getting to be pretty shitty. Those guys look like the fucking 2D arena audience in PS3 sports games...

And you know what, if they are far away and the game swaps them for solid 3D models when they come closer, I wouldn't give a damn. But those cars are 5 feet from the fucking camera...

Spider_Jerusalem said:
For the italian mates - I just heard a friend of mine at Gamestop and they received a memo: tomorrow (23) they'll receive the game and there's a serious "danger" that Auchan and Carrefour will break the street date. If this will happen, Gamestop will do it too, so they'll have to get ready to sell the game starting tomorrow. Let's hope this will be the case :D

Fingers crossed for a worldwide Carrefour street date breakage!

DrXym said:
I wouldn't put it past them to seed the market with a few "reviews" that they obtain with a moneyhat or freebies.

When the embargo lifts we'll see what the general gaming press has to think about the title. It would be nice to read some bonafide reviews before the actual release of the game.

They really aren't handling GTA4 any differently than any other game when it comes to reviews though. Magazines always get the jump on them and then a few days before the games release you see website reviews. There's nothing to really suggest that they're doing anything dirty in order to get these high scores.

MMaRsu

Spider_Jerusalem said:

Holy shit batman :D. I don't live in Italy but if Italy has the games then surely The Netherlands must have some games in as well? Might have to call around tomorrow :D

zaidr said:
Those people in the cars look like south park residents. They look like they've been painted onto the fucking windshield. I didn't say anything the first time we started seeing a graphical downgrade from the first few screenshots (if it meant better framerates, I was ok with that), but now some of these coming out are getting to be pretty shitty. Those guys look like the fucking 2D arena audience in PS3 sports games...

And you know what, if they are far away and the game swaps them for solid 3D models when they come closer, I wouldn't give a damn. But those cars are 5 feet from the fucking camera...

To me, especially when you consider the open world genre...the game is beautiful. Absolutely stunning job, Rockstar.

Tell you what, you sit the release of the decade out because you don't like that Mr...Mrs...uhm, Mr. Garrison is driving around Liberty City.

Me, I'm in. Deep. Balls deep.

Twig

Banned
Goreomedy said:
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/arts/2007/05/17/office460.jpg
Ahahah! That was completely unexpected!

So anyway. I preordered GTA4 from Best Buy earlier, comes with a free poster and I guess some gamerpics. Sweetness!

MMaRsu

Sylar stop calling people 'newbies' because they are complaining about things that genuinly bother them.

Really it's fucking annoying dude.

zaidr

Sylar said:
ugh can we please just mass wipe the gta newbies? Seriously. Complainging about the peds?

Sylar, you've been going on about "GTA newbies" for a while. Its getting a little stale. (Edit, beaten by MMaRsu)

And Pixel Money, I might be one of the bigger GTA nerds here. Sure I've decided to notice things about the new screens that you have decided to overlook, but I assure you I'm in too. Thats more of a reason to analyze everything about the game, than if it was something I was never going to even play in the first place, right?

j-wood

Sylar said:
No they don't. They never have. :lol All theyve served are as entities to fill the world and nothing more.

You're exactly right. GTA without pedestrians would lose nothing at all. Then we would have burnout paradise 2: blazing guns.

Sylar

Banned
j-wood said:
You're exactly right. GTA without pedestrians would lose nothing at all. Then we would have burnout paradise 2: blazing guns.

I meant as in the peds don't have to be this amazing graphical showcase that people are expecting (most likely GTA noobs). I'd be fine with GTASA level detail.

RumFore said:
How can this thread possibly serve as the official thread when its already 45 pages? Will a new one be made?

The Uncharted thread was 10000 post strong (maybe even more) before the game came out.

Top Bottom