• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

jaaz

The word "newbie" and its more annoying variant "noob" need to be exorcised from all future internet communications. That is all.

MMaRsu

Sylar said:
I meant as in the peds don't have to be this amazing graphical showcase that people are expecting (most likely GTA noobs). I'd be fine with GTASA level detail.

boy o boy, you are really getting on my nerves, I'd better leave this thread right now :lol

Himuro said:
Pics of the SE

dsc00338mediumfj8.jpg

dsc00339mediumim5.jpg

dsc00340mediumyl3.jpg

dsc00341mediumkr1.jpg

dsc00342mediumgn1.jpg

dsc00344mediumec5.jpg

dsc00345mediumpd8.jpg

dsc00346mediumyb9.jpg

dsc00347mediumes7.jpg

EPIC!!!!!!!!!! 7 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!

j-wood

Sylar said:
I meant as in the peds don't have to be this amazing graphical showcase that people are expecting (most likely GTA noobs). I'd be fine with GTASA level detail.

Thing is, to me, that doesn't even look like GTASA detail. Like someone said, it looks 2d and painted onto the windshield.

Regardless, hopefully this is just some beta shot, and that is placement holders before the assets were put into place. I have no reason to doubt R*

Sylar

Banned
j-wood said:
Thing is, to me, that doesn't even look like GTASA detail. Like someone said, it looks 2d and painted onto the windshield.

Regardless, hopefully this is just some beta shot, and that is placement holders before the assets were put into place. I have no reason to doubt R*

It wasn't really you, it was mostly others who were freaking out over it for no reason.

I dunno, I just dont understand why GTA4 is drawing in so many new GTA users, and they all spout this stupid shit like "its so much darker!" or "a game has never been so hyped!" which is just untrue on both accounts.

zaidr said:
And Pixel Money, I might be one of the bigger GTA nerds here. Sure I've decided to notice things about the new screens that you have decided to overlook, but I assure you I'm in too. Thats more of a reason to analyze everything about the game, than if it was something I was never going to even play in the first place, right?

Absolutely. I've got no problem with you (or anyone else for that matter) nitpicking each and every screenie that comes down the pipe before launch.

I'm all atwitter with each and every new shot or video. I would simply encourage keeping it all in perspective, and it sounds like you are. The hype on this beast has been unmatched by anything outside the Haloverse, and I think we'll all just feel a whole hell of a lot better once we can actually sit back on the sofa and just soak it all in.

Damn this wait just gets more difficult by the day! :lol

zaidr

j-wood said:

Yeah, I was just about to say, who's releasing these screens? They really don't look up to par. Sure they're doing a stunt, but the composition and detail are off by a mile form the ones R* releases themselves...maybe it is a beta build...lets hope so.

jaaz

Please don't let that screenshot be a confirmation of the GTA repeated ped/car syndrome. That is the ONE thing I wanted fixed from the GTA series, as it bothered the hell out of me to come to a street light and see 5 Blista Compacts or whatever, or sextuplets peds walking down the street together.

Still bothers the crap out me when playing MLB 08:The Show and I see 10 fans wearing the same damn clothes stand up at the same exact time and cheer like its the damn Chorus Line.

zaidr

pixel monkey said:
Absolutely. I've got no problem with you (or anyone else for that matter) nitpicking each and every screenie that comes down the pipe before launch.

I'm all atwitter with each and every new shot or video. I would simply encourage keeping it all in perspective, and it sounds like you are. The hype on this beast has been unmatched by anything outside the Haloverse, and I think we'll all just feel a whole hell of a lot better once we can actually sit back on the sofa and just soak it all in.

Damn this wait just gets more difficult by the day! :lol

Yeah man! Its getting harder by the day. Tempers are flaring, arguments are flaring up on message boards, people are calling other people newbies (I'm not letting you off the hook yet, Sylar :D ). Its pandemonium. And you know its only gonna get worse once the first cell phone video off a leaked copy hits the tubes...I can't WAIT (...for the game, or for the craziness that'll preclude it :D )

RumFore

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Someone posted this on the GTAForums not too long ago and people didn't believe him. This is apparently the PS3's SE boxart.

dd2kj7.jpg

And a bigger version of the 360's.

2hxwthv.jpg

What the fuck? I bet some corporate marketing rep for MS hand picked that box. The 360 version really looks shitty in comparison. Makes me want to get the PS3 version....yes just for the box.

Everyone seems to be ignoring the SWEET MUSCLE CAR LAUNCHING OF THAT RAMP/TRUCK and the fact that there are about 20 cars and peds on screen and there's a crumbling highway divider... this is laughable, really. I think that screen is awesome.

zaidr

RumFore said:
What the fuck? I bet some corporate marketing rep for MS hand picked that box. The 360 version really looks shitty in comparison. Makes me want to get the PS3 version....yes just for the box.

The 360 version really needed the first GameInformer drawing of Niko. That was the best one. The 360 is never gonna lose its idiotic Xtreme Gamer outlook it seems...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sylar said:
Okay, shut the fuck up with your stupid "GTA kids/noobs"-thing. Jesus Christ!

Some pics are ugly, that's a fact. That driver-shit-thing was PS2-quality. Shit's obviously going to look better in motion. The pic still looks like ass, period.

traveler

Not Wario
Sylar said:
Seriously, these GTA kiddies are killing me. Just STFU and enjoy the game. Stop complaining about things that have been synomous with "GTA" for the past 5 years.

Sylar said:
I see the patented GTA gay jokes certianly haven't gone anyweres.

Sylar said:
They've always loved to poke fun at the gays a little more, and like to use "fag" alot.

:/

traveler said:
It's best to just ignore him.

Anyway, I'm starting to get excited. I really don't get caught in hype until a week before a game is released nowadays. I'll probably buy this day one on 360 (it is released on my birthday after all), and possibly get it again down the line on PC.

traveler

Not Wario
Until I see what's on the back of the soundtrack, I still dunno whether I want the SE or not. Seems a little steep for my tastes at the moment.

On a happier note, I've convinced a friend to loan me his 360 in exchange for me loaning him my Wii while I sort out my 360 hardware issues. So it looks like I will be playing GTAIV next week after all. :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just look at it this way: right now, IV is just a week away. A month ago, GTA IV was more than a month away!

I'll get me coat

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can someone make me a GTA4 avatar with this:

34oc6x0.jpg

You guys are awesome. I want to join in on the fun :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Darunia said:
Just look at it this way: right now, IV is just a week away. A month ago, GTA IV was more than a month away!

I'll get me coat
Haha, wtf?! :lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I really wish I could just get the soundtrack. don't care for the rest of SE package.

PSN: otake-tux.

neptunes

RumFore said:

wtf are we seeing the same two boxarts?

All I see is two pieces of promotional art behind a white background.

where's the SHITTY?

fanduck

I've done a good job of avoiding the GTA hype train up until now, but something is making me watch this thread for every tiny piece of GTAIV info I can get... I'm going to be miserable till next week!

RumFore

Banned
neptunes said:
wtf are we seeing the same two boxarts?

All I see is two pieces of promotional art behind a white background.

where's the SHITTY?

There are actual pictures of the PS3 box floating around.

RumFore

Banned
neptunes said:
The 360 version looks shitty by comparison. Is it really that hard to imagine how the 360 version with Niko will look after seeing the actual PS3 one which look exactly like the two "promotional art behind a white background" which I quoted? They used like the worse art for Niko.

UK PSW Review, not much other than this.

"A masterpiece from both a technical and storyline standpoint. You have not and probably never will play another game quite like it again."

10/10

Agent Ironside said:
UK PSW Review, not much other than this.

"A masterpiece from both a technical and storyline standpoint. You have not and probably never will play another game quite like it again."

10/10
Great to see another perfect review but the second part of that summation is total hyperbole. There will NEVER be another game like this again? Come on guys, take it down a notch.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gary Whitta said:
Great to see another perfect review but the second part of that summation is total hyperbole. There will NEVER be another game like this again? Come on guys, take it down a notch.

These reviews do nothing for me. Give me a review with more meat, damnit!

Wollan

Gary Whitta said:
You will never see this huge step up again is probably what they're saying.

h3ro

Gary Whitta said:

Agreed, this is one of those games that will probably run the table with nothing lower than a 9.5 in any ranking system just because of what it is... spare us the tenth grade newspaper writer hyperbole...

Wollan said:

I thought the same way when I saw FF X after the PS1 Final Fantasy games... no reason to think they can't make the same jump they did from III to IV with V.

Fletcher

RumFore said:
The 360 version looks shitty by comparison. Is it really that hard to imagine how the 360 version with Niko will look after seeing the actual PS3 one which look exactly like the two "promotional art behind a white background" which I quoted? They used like the worse art for Niko.

I think what he is getting at is that it is just a character art in front of a white background. Just like he said.

Wollan said:
That's still hyperbole IMO. If future improvements, technology in game development and innovation will be merely incremental by comparison, that's a bummer for the future of gaming. But they're wrong, so it's not. There IS going to be another generation after this one, you know. And another, and another...

Top Bottom