• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

MMaRsu

Well that's bullshit, how can you be banned for playing it when it's not your fault for playing it early but the retailers fault.

Can't be true because it's illegal.

Spider_Jerusalem said:
No. They simply won't be allowed to play online, if they don't appear on Rockstar lists. That's all.
Right! Now that actually makes sense to me. BTW, when I get the game I'll be playing SP for a good time before even considering MP..

ascully

There is no way they can ban you from live if you play it early, there could be a number of reasons your playing a final retail build (reviewer, Store launches a copy on a demo kiosk etc etc) If it uses dedicated servers I guess they could restrict the gamertags that play until the release date on live though, but who cares if I got my hands on it early I am more interested in the single player anyway.

Seiken said:
Unfortunately, no. Apparently, only Naughty Dog and Insomniac knows how to do real achievement rewards... though I really, really liked the fact how you could see how much other players rock in DMC4.

i havent really been keeping up with that stuff, but wasnt that added in a sdk a while back? and if not, why aren't 1st/2nd party devs sharing the info with the rest of the ps3 community? i coulda swore i read somewhere that one of sony's 2nd party studios (im guessing the resistance guys) would go around helping other devs with ps3 code

newsguy

John Harker said:
I don't mean to bring a downer into this thread as I don't intend to buy the game and therefor no right to comment on its content; however, I do visit the forum often, so here goes.

Don't people realize that those avatars with various heads walking through the GTA streets are kinda dumb? They are everywhere and kind of annoying :(

How are they more dumb than say, a pop princess with an eyepatch and a fucking stogie? Universal avatars unite the community for each particular game.

MMaRsu

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Infact MS already clarified this at H3 launch: they won't ever ban anyone for playing a game before the street date, just because he's doing nothing illegal.

Excactly what I meant, I think banning someone from XBL because he is playing a game before launch would be considered illegal.

John Harker said:
I don't mean to bring a downer into this thread as I don't intend to buy the game and therefor no right to comment on its content; however, I do visit the forum often, so here goes.

Don't people realize that those avatars with various heads walking through the GTA streets are kinda dumb? They are everywhere and kind of annoying :(
Your face is dumb.

newsguy said:
How are they more dumb than say, a pop princess with an eyepatch and a fucking stogie? Universal avatars unite the community for each particular game.

i think hes mad because he cant find the avatar request thread....

Banzaiaap said:
Hmm.. Now I don't know if I even want the game early.. Maybe unplug it from the internet and play on another account or something? :lol

I hope R* isnt too serious about that streetdate.. I mean I can't help it if a store breaks the streetdate right.

I've never heard of anyone actually being banned from Xbox Live for having a game early. If you are just some average gamer who got the game early from a retailer you shouldn't be banned for that.

This is just like that whole thing about Halloween and razor blades in apples. Never actually happened.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
bdizzle said:
i havent really been keeping up with that stuff, but wasnt that added in a sdk a while back? and if not, why aren't 1st/2nd party devs sharing the info with the rest of the ps3 community? i coulda swore i read somewhere that one of sony's 2nd party studios (im guessing the resistance guys) would go around helping other devs with ps3 code

I think DMC4 uses the sdk accomplishment tools.

accomplishmentdmc43425.jpg

SOLDIER

Has there been any confirmation or reports on the technical differences, if any, between the 360 and PS3 versions?

Not a troll, I really want to know, since I own both systems.

newsguy

SOLDIER said:
Has there been any confirmation or reports on the technical differences, if any, between the 360 and PS3 versions?

No.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SOLDIER said:

360 version to have less jaggies, more shaders, less loading, no install time, next-gen rumble actimodulator support, exclusive use of guide button for awesome narrative surprises, slightly more shiny lettering on the boxart, 5.2 audio support(exclusive), oh and achievements and DLC if you care...

h3ro

BobFromPikeCreek said:
What kind of jerk has access to GTAIV and plays Stranglehold instead? I'd like to get a stranglehold on him.

One who has been working on the game for about four years and probably knows the game inside and out already... :p

blanky

Himuro, I wouldn't mind taking it on me to manage the gamertag once we've picked a name or something. Maybe if we just call the gamertag, GAF GTAIV and then the motto be the clan name?

h3ro

Brandon F said:
360 version to have less jaggies, more shaders, less loading, no install time, next-gen rumble actimodulator support, exclusive use of guide button for awesome narrative surprises, slightly more shiny lettering on the boxart, 5.2 audio support(exclusive), oh and achievements and DLC if you care...

m8074g.png

Brandon F

BobFromPikeCreek said:
What kind of jerk has access to GTAIV and plays Stranglehold instead? I'd like to get a stranglehold on him.

He chose 'Pro' instead of Recreation for his profile type...I'd be cautious with what you say
about him. Hardcore dude.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Brandon F said:
You also forgot to mention that the grass looks better on the 360 version. In fact, I even heard the PS3 grass uses PIXELS instead of POLYGONS!

Brandon F

Seiken said:
You also forgot to mention that the grass looks better on the 360 version. In fact, I even heard the PS3 grass uses PIXELS instead of POLYGONS!

The grass is relatively identical looking actually. But the 360 version totally has more of it!

h3ro

Brandon F said:
The grass is relatively identical looking actually. But the 360 version totally has more of it!

Yeah, the 360 also has a built in recreation of the sounds from JFK airport as well... :p

indie85

Banned
Brandon F said:
I know this is a joke post, but its funny considering alot of those things DO actually apply to the PS3 version :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Brandon F said:
How could I forget, so sorry!

notjackbauer said:
mind if i pm you? i'm curious to know if we're talking about the same place.
There's several stores in NYC (so far, that I've contacted) that will have GTAIV on Friday, if not, Saturday.

Woot. :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Brandon F said:

I actually went to the store today and while looking at the two boxes side by side I thought "hmmm...the 360 one has shinier letters...." :lol :lol

But....the PS3 version doesn't have rumble?? For real? I've been on media blackout.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Brandon F said:

NO! Its not POSSIBLE!

LUKE10.JPG

Yoshichan

kaizoku said:
I actually went to the store today and while looking at the two boxes side by side I thought "hmmm...the 360 one has shinier letters...." :lol :lol

But....the PS3 version doesn't have rumble?? For real? I've been on media blackout.
PS3 version has rumble. That's confirmed :).

Wollan

kaizoku said:
It has rumble.
There's no point asking anymore really.
COD4 & Hot Shot Golf are the two notable omissions since November but that's about it.

j-wood

kaizoku said:

PS3 does have rumble...that was a joke post dude.

G-Bus

Banned
Well I'm ready. Finally got around to pre-ordering. Was in the local video store today and they had a bunch of GTA4 posters up with Nico on the front telling me to reserve a copy. He looked pretty pissed off so I did. Got a free rental out of it too. Lady forgot to ring the rental in. :lol

7 days.

Top Bottom