• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Chrange

Banned
Anyone hear word on LAN play yet?

I saw the pics of the boxes, but didn't see one of the back - that might have answered it!

The guy I worked with tonight is a complete non-gamers and I think I sufficiently bored the crap of him tonight with all my GTA talk. :lol Yeah I think i'm ready for the game now.

Good hype comes on slow, the first trailer is all waiting, halfway through the last trailer you start cursing the devs because its not out, then ZAM!

BobTheFork said:
The guy I worked with tonight is a complete non-gamers and I think I sufficiently bored the crap of him tonight with all my GTA talk. :lol Yeah I think i'm ready for the game now.

Good hype comes on slow, the first trailer is all waiting, halfway through the last trailer you start cursing the devs because its not out, then ZAM!
I have the same problem with my friends. I really have only one buddy that games as much as me and actually understands what goes into the games in order to make them. When I tell my other friends about how, for example, you can use the cell phone in the game they just look at me funny. I try to explain, but they just don't get it. Unappreciative shits they are. :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well shit, I'm awake! What's happened in the past 10 hours?!

dork

Banned
We havent gotten ours in yet, probably not until friday.

we aren't dumb enough to break street date though, nobody should be..:lol

Teknoman

dork said:
We havent gotten ours in yet, probably not until friday.

we aren't dumb enough to break street date though, nobody should be..:lol

Theres always one. Either that or some internal guy does it.

Well I think that all these secrecy is bad for the game industry.. we should be able to relax and just see some preliminary gameplay if we want.. there would not be so much stress if

OH GOD JUST SHOWMESHOWMESHOWMESHOWMESHOWME

"You've gotta smoke if you want to have enough knowledge to find the grocery store in order to purchase the eggs that you put into your omelet"

BobTheFork said:
"You've gotta smoke if you want to have enough knowledge to find the grocery store in order to purchase the eggs that you put into your omelet"

You've got to find the cash to pay the dealer to buy the drugs because you've gotta smoke if you want to have enough knowledge to find the grocery store in order to purchase the eggs that you put into your omelet.

And then you have to have to bait the line.

To catch the man.

To sell him to the other man.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868607p1.html

Microsoft doesn't offer native clan support (thanks a lot, Uncle Gates!), but the in-game party system has become a popular alternative. Invite some friends to your party and you'll be able to teleport around to various game modes, sticking together between each session. But you won't be sitting around long staring at boring screens. That's because Party Mode drops you into a secluded part of Liberty City with a host of guns and vehicles available to smack your buddies around. This is your lobby and it can become a pleasant distraction while the host tries to get his act together and launch you into one of the many multiplayer modes available.

A party system where the lobby is Liberty city itself, HOLY SHIT!

Free Mode
As much as we've loved Cops 'n' Crooks, Free Mode is going to be the bread and butter of GTA IV multiplayer. Here's the deal: Up to 16 players can run around Liberty City doing whatever they want. Create your own game modes, hunt for Easter eggs, work together to survive a six-star wanted level -- if you can dream it, there's probably a way to do it. And this mode begins in the most unusual, jarring way.

You begin in a standoff with the other players. Everyone spawns in a circle and there is, at least the first time you play Free Mode, a brief moment of surprise when no one does a damn thing. This lasts a few seconds before someone takes out a gun and shoots their neighbor in the face. But this standoff isn't just to start the killing (and jump people around the city with their first respawn); it also allows players to talk about what they want to do in Free Mode. This way you don't have to hunt for anyone in order to discuss plans to take a bus caravan down to Star Junction or to agree that there will be a knife fight atop the Algonquin Bridge. Or you can just blow each other up. It's Free Mode -- do whatever the hell you want.

This is going to be epic.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
A party system where the lobby is Liberty city itself, HOLY SHIT!
I just read that earlier, and I think thats the best thing I've read about the multiplayer so far. I had no clue, but its great. Just that kind of simple lobby feature has made HSG online great!

IcebergSlim3000 said:
This is going to be epic.
Its a Russian-American Mexican standoff!!!!

Teknoman

pizzaguysrevenge said:
That was Manny Escuela.

Damn it <_> I dunno why I always get those two confused.

Anyway im sure the PS3 version's lobby will work the same as the 360 version. However one thing im not so sure about is how many regular users will actually make a game during that time in free mode, and not just run around doing random stuff.

EDIT: Never mind, didnt see the secluded part.

Anyway I wonder how its gonna be in MP to tell someone to hold on a sec because you've gotta answer your phone...in game. Might be a little much, but it would be cool if communication between teams was open to all team members when near by, yet when seperated over a large distance, you have to call them on their phone to talk to them.

A little much?

Keyser Soze said:
OMG I AM DREAMING ABOUT GAMEPLAY VIDEOS!!!
Wait until you've played it for 24 hours straight after it launches :lol

MobiusPigeon said:
will the ps3 version have voice in the lobby?
both versions have Voice chat. If you meant will the lobby in PS3 be different than im-game for any reason, I don't know.

Damn @ Free mode and Lobby system. That's really all I could've asked for.
Just roaming around in Crackdown with a friend in Crackdown was EPIC.

But that was only with 2 player. :D 16 PLAYER MANIA FTW

dfyb

Banned
kryptikjoker said:
Even though it was removed, I found the video on YouTube on my iPhone. It's just a video spliced from all the trailers that have come up. Sorry, no actual leaked gameplay :(
ah ok. ty

If you use just a regular USB microphone, will voice from other players be heard over television speakers? Or does it have to be a complete headset?

Doc Evils

Dear Mr xxx,

Order number(s): xxxxxxxx/P

I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for Grand Theft Auto IV is now being processed. The order will be despatched by your chosen delivery method in time to reach you for the day of release.

By using the GAME 1st To Play Preorder Service you have ensured that you will be among the first people to receive Grand Theft Auto IV, and we are confident that you will be happy with the order, our service and our speedy delivery!

friday plz. \o/

Fallout-NL said:
If you use just a regular USB microphone, will voice from other players be heard over television speakers? Or does it have to be a complete headset?

By rights it should detect that it isn't outputting any sound over the USB connection and default to wherever your game sound is outputting

Top Bottom