• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Bluecondor

""1979"

Shakedown 1979, cool kids never have the time
On a live wire right up off the street
You and I should meet
Junebug skipping like a stone
With the headlights pointed at the dawn
We were sure we'd never see an end to it all
And I don't even care to shake these zipper blues
And we don't know
Just where our bones will rest
To dust I guess
Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below
Double cross the vacant and the bored
They're not sure just what we have in store
Morphine city slipping dues down to see
That we don't even care as restless as we are
We feel the pull in the land of a thousand guilts
And poured cement, lamented and assured
To the lights and towns below
Faster than the speed of sound
Faster than we thought we'd go, beneath the sound of hope
Justine never knew the rules,
Hung down with the freaks and the ghouls
No apologies ever need be made, I know you better than you fake it
To see that we don't even care to shake these zipper blues
And we don't know just where our bones will rest
To dust I guess
Forgotten and absorbed into the earth below
The street heats the urgency of now
As you can see there's no one around"

I'm not seeing a strong "This is a grim and specific depiction of Southern California" message here. "land of a thousand guilts"?

Hell - even a song like "California Love" (which I have always wanted in a GTA game) that has many specific California references would be great in a GTA game.

Sylar

Banned
The people saying 1979 was a bad choice are fucking idiots and should really get outside and learn about something called a "radio station" that plays music, usually hits.

I don't think i've ever seen a radio station scored to some real life activity.

EDIT:

Soulja Boy - "Crank That"

:lol I can't wait till that blares.

Chiggs said:
The song 1979 doesn't even make sense for a game that takes place in Liberty City. The song is about SoCal youth, and I'm willing to bet nobody on the east coast ever enjoyed that track.

I'm so sick of Rockstar and their habit of using music incorrectly. "She's On Fire" and "Push It to the Limit" should have been in Vice City, not GTA III. Pull it together, guys.

I'll hand you the 80ies tracks. But 1979 is just a great song. I live in the Netherlands and it means something to me without ever living in California.

FrankT

1979 is perfect.

Kids running around doing what they want.
Going with the flow of things, what happens happens.
Nostalgic.

Sounds GTA to me.

keyrat

Chiggs said:
The song 1979 doesn't even make sense for a game that takes place in Liberty City. The song is about SoCal youth, and I'm willing to bet nobody on the east coast ever enjoyed that track.

I'm so sick of Rockstar and their habit of using music incorrectly. "She's On Fire" and "Push It to the Limit" should have been in Vice City, not GTA III. Pull it together, guys.

The GTA3 soundtrack was amazing. The reason they had those songs is because they were cheaper to license than any hits. I doubt they knew they'd be making Vice City when they planned that.

As far as 1979, it gets played on every contemporary rock station in the US.

keyrat

I just looked at that station list, and I have to say I'm kind of sad there's no Double Clef FM.

There was nothing more cold blooded in GTA3 than driving around mowing over pedestrians listening to classical music.

Eric WK

G-Bus said:
Only helicopters. No planes.

Maybe theres a hidden jet pack too. That would be cool.

Nah, there isn't and nah, it wouldn't.

Captain Pants said:
Oh shit! Pass the Dutchie is in the soundtrack! "This generation... rules the nation." :lol

Ahaha. I forgot that song existed.

Captain Pants said:
Oh shit! Pass the Dutchie is in the soundtrack! "This generation... rules the nation." :lol

I didnt notice that. :lol

I hope they have more Elton John, I never heard of that song they have with him.

dork

Banned
Oh and also, we got marketing in so i hope this wasn't posted already

Gamestop Specials

Xbox 360 version of Gta has 1 month of xbox live gold inside the box (says while supplies last so i dont know if its limited to the first shipment)

Buy a ps3 40gig, and gta, and get 50% off of resistance/uncharted/heavenly sword/ ratchet

not a bad deal, because they are actually good games they let you pick

Nameless

MiamiWesker said:
Nice; Michael Jackson, Layla, Hotel California, good stuff in there, I hope the list keeps coming.

Hotel California!!!!!! Game of the fucking decade confirmed!

I'm going to have to impose an GTA media embargo on myself, though. The lack of exposure to GTA games makes the first play through extra special. I haven't spoiled anything for myself yet, so I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
IGN has a post on the insider forums asking for questions regarding GTA IV.

So, if you have any questions, let me know and I'll post on the boards.

Tek

Himuro said:
I'm amazed I have survived today without watching any videos or looking at any spoilers.

I caved....

:(

I blame the ultra slow day at work....

Monday is going to be the slowest day ever....

Darunia said:
I have not watched one vid or seen a single thing. Media blackout people, stay strong!
Same here, and with Persona3 FES to keep me occupied until next week I think I can do it.

Although, I did look at that rumored soundtrack list, closest thing to a spoiler thus far for me.

Steroyd

Darunia said:
I have not watched one vid or seen a single thing. Media blackout people, stay strong!

I'm still undecided wether I want this game, yet I don't want to spoil myself incase I do want it come launch, on the other hand it would be nice to see what the draw distance is like... ah curse my self confliction.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
sublime085 said:
Although, I did look at that rumored soundtrack list, closest thing to a spoiler thus far for me.

link? that's one thing I'd like to see. I want to know what's in the alt rock playlist.

Xdrive05

Something to consider: we shouldn't have to wait some 4 years for the NEXT gta game. They've already got a great engine and feature set to work with (which we now know is awesome), so most likely Vice City 2 (or whatever it ends up being) might see the light of day next year. And then probably a third one to wrap up the generation.

It's nice to see GTA back in full swing. :D

kylej

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
Ok I understand not watchng videos for spoilers but not even for regular gameplay? You guys are nuts!

I've also avoided the last 2 months of screens and whatever. Haven't even looked at the official website.

I completely burned myself out before San Andreas was released and I don't want to do it again.

Top Bottom