• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There's quotes on which version looks better, including stuff like this:

. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in.

So should we start a new thread? I doubt we want to start a system wars thread in here...

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
borghe said:
not fanboy, but I pride myself in having common sense, such as not talking shit about a game I've never even seen in person. anything you have to say is nullified by your one post. grats and kudos.

No game is worth 10/10, 9.7 9.9 ? maybe, but 10/10 is a joke.

raYne

chubigans said:
There's quotes on which version looks better, including stuff like this:

So should we start a new thread? I doubt we want to start a system wars thread in here...
There's already a new thread. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in.

Holy shit.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
or to put it another way

A "10" is not a score we give out very often. In fact, the last time we gave a 10 to a console game was Soul Calibur in 1999. A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect -- it means a game is pushing boundaries, expanding a genre, and doing many things to a level so far above and beyond its competitors that they overshadows any flaws. Certainly, GTA IV has some issues, the most noticeable being the occasional flaw in the cover system, but there are many more pieces of GTA IV that are better than anything I've seen from a game in the past decade. We don't give 10s often -- just to games that merit the score.

verio

Seiken said:
Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

Holy shit.

Damn.

Tokubetsu

SO excited. I can't contain it anymore. I'm going to explode. I don't even care about pop ins or frame rate hitches. I just want this. I want this so bad, so fucking bad. I've never been this excited for a release. Ever.

Tr4nce

Ok, why are some of you surprised that GTAIV get's a 10/10?? It gets scores like this in every single review. It's just the sum of all parts that make it so great, I guess. Beautiful environments, quality animations and physics, great dialogue and radio stations, comedy, multiplayer, awesome characters, the wonderful atmosphere. GTA has always been great, but R* has really pushed the limits on this one. By the way, I'm wondering how the multiplayer will hit the the audience. How many people are actually going to play this online? Could this maybe the best online experience after COD4? Three more days :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tr4nce said:
Ok, why are some of you surprised that GTAIV get's a 10/10?? It gets scores like this in every single review. It's just the sum of all parts that make it so great,
IGN hasn't given a game a 10/10 since Soul Calibur 1999... that's why.

Yoshichan

So it's confirmed now guys? Will this be the best game ever created?

Max@GC

Ok Zelda got a 10 in 1998, Soul Calibur a 10 in 99...GTA IV got a 10 in 2008...but...IN EVERY FUCKING CATEGORY! The best score on IGN thus far amirite?!

It probably would have, if one existed.

Of course, which is why I asked the question. Why not include an optional install? It would only be optional, and it would likely eliminate any such problems. What is there to lose?
This just seems strange... eh. Not that the difference will be significant, as has already been established.

Tr4nce said:
Ok, why are some of you surprised that GTAIV get's a 10/10?? It gets scores like this in every single review. It's just the sum of all parts that make it so great, I guess. Beautiful environments, quality animations and physics, great dialogue and radio stations, comedy, multiplayer, awesome characters, the wonderful atmosphere. GTA has always been great, but R* has really pushed the limits on this one. By the way, I'm wondering how the multiplayer will hit the the audience. How many people are actually going to play this online? Could this maybe the best online experience after COD4? Three more days :D

True...but that doesnt mean all that much to me...Ive played all GTAs, and after GTA 3, the last couple were just more of the same to me...gameplay was really similar, story lost steam...this one really looks interesting to me, but we will see...the reviews are definitely by HUGE fans... I def enjoy the games, but I doubt I will be so easy to please. I definitely expect to like it, but there is little doubt that MGS4 is a much bigger game for me.

Fatbody

Dammit, Now I really am going to buy both versions. PS3 for single player, 360 for multiplayer (All my friends are on XBL.)

Defcon

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
So for 360/Ps3 owners the Ps3 version is the one to get?

If you only plan on playing single player, definitely. DLC is enticing for the 360 though, but I'm pretty sure PS3 will get some form of DLC at some point as well.

dedhead54

Holy fucking shit. Has anyone downloaded/watched IGN's video review yet? The view from the chopper flying over Algonquin is fucking INCREDIBLE!! I have watched the review video twice already and am about to start it again.

I have never been so excited for a videogame in my life. EVER.

Max@GC

wowwwww129.gif

...damn...i really need a beer right now...o_O

Tr4nce

I just saw the video review and holy shit it just struck me. I'm sorry Himuro but the thread title needs to be changed to: The Official Grand Theft Auto IV Thread of Blind Firing RPG's.

!!!!

dedhead54

Any skepticism that I had due to watching the live streams yesterday/today just went down the crapper.

This game will own my face, CONFIRMED.

Tr4nce

WOW, the multiplayer footage from the IGN review looks SO FUCKING SWEET. GTAIV deserves to become GOTY and I haven't even played it :lol

Xdrive05

Just think of the possibilities for the Multiplayer. I hope they implement a "Screw Around" mode where you an a bunch of friends can do just that (with no set goals).

ascully

Xdrive05 said:
Just think of the possibilities for the Multiplayer. I hope they implement a "Screw Around" mode where you an a bunch of friends can do just that (with no set goals).

Its already in I think its called free roam mode, it was in a interview the other day said something like 16 of your friends can just roam the full city with no set objectives.

Eric WK

Xdrive05 said:

They already did.

Top Bottom