• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Himuro said:
GoW is ENTIRELY suggested. You actually see them fucking in that video review.

Though it's difficult to interpret it any other way, it really is just suggested from what you see in that review. Really, I've seen worse on network television but games are definitely held to a different standard.

Himuro said:
Gimme a light example. :) Not too spoiler heavy, but spoiler tag it anyways!

Please! :D i wanna know how dynamic. :)

Hmm, I'm still early in the game but there is one example that stands out......

I think you're going to have a lot more choices during missions. That one scene in the second trailer where you see that guy fall onto the truck is something thats in your control. You have the choice to save him.
I know its not much, but Im having a good time just doing some of the busy work missions they mix it up well.

besada said:
I just wet myself. Speaking of targeting. The fact that you can take a headshot while sprinting suggests they've actually fixed the targeting system. Does the lock-on allow you to select body parts, or is the aiming tight enough to actually take a moving headshot?

Rockstar finally nailed the targeting system. Holding the left trigger all the way locks on your target and the camera goes into RE4 mode. While locked on it works similar to crackdown. From hear just flicking the right stick will target you specified body part. Heres where its different from crackdown. You cant just flick the right stick up and lock on for head shots. You're required to slightly hold the right stick in the desired location otherwise it zeros back in to the center mass of your target.

God I hope I explained that well. It will make so much more sense once you get you hands on it.

Its pretty funny to shoot a cop in the leg and see him limp to the back of his squad car for cover.:D

SNUG REVOL said:
Rockstar finally nailed the targeting system. Holding the left trigger all the way locks on your target and the camera goes into RE4 mode. While locked on it works similar to crackdown. From hear just flicking the right stick will target you specified body part. Heres where its different from crackdown. You cant just flick the right stick up and lock on for head shots. You're required to slightly hold the right stick in the desired location otherwise it zeros back in to the center mass of your target.

God I hope I explained that well. It will make so much more sense once you get you hands on it.

Its pretty funny to shoot a cop in the leg and see him limp to the back of his squad car for cover.:D

That said, is it easy to aim freely? Like do you find it hard to hold the trigger only partially?

Himuro said:
GoW is ENTIRELY suggested. You actually see them fucking in that video review.

exactly

...I mean, it's not slowish thrusts either in GTAIV ...she's riding him ...and not in a way that could get by on regular TV

San Andreas, it was crude and just silly...but with the animations in GTAIV and waay more enhanced visuals....yeah, I can see this making waves

Xdrive05

Loudninja said:
I thought you guys wanted to know about this?

That sounds about right I guess. Honestly though, I think it's worth it to get less pop-in. If it was available on the 360 I'd dl it there too.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
SNUG REVOL said:
Nope, its second nature. At least on the 360 pad.

Did you get the special edition or just the game? If you got the special edition, whats included in the sampler soundtrack? How many pages is the artbook? Whats the build quality of the duffel bag? Who's in the disk art; Niko, Lollipop Girl, or Elizabeta?

Monocle

MMaRsu said:
GTAIV COME TO ME :(

4cbb3e53246d8b1e6f43e74ce478bda2.gif

I'm sorry, I just have to quote this GIF. It's the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.

Teknoman

SNUG REVOL said:

Wouldnt RE4 mode be the free aim over the shoulder mode?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I called GOTY a long time ago. Looks like I very well may be right. I knew Rockstar was going to blow us away in the next gen way back when.

Xdrive05

Dr_Cogent said:
I called GOTY a long time ago. Looks like I very well may be right. I knew Rockstar was going to blow us away in the next gen way back when.

Check your PMs.

Well it's time to play some San Andreas PC multiplayer to help stem the tides of hype for me.

dejay

Banned
Tiduz said:
already posted?

HD Gameplay: http://vimeo.com/941075

Nice - thanks. The main thing I noticed was the persistence of vehicles; driving past a line of traffic at the lights, including a motor cycle, Niko's vehicle hit a heap of other cars on the other side before spinning around. Niko jumps out and the camera swings around, and the first line of vehicles are still there, including the motor bike which Niko jacks. One of the things I didn't like about past GTAs has seemingly been addressed to a large extent.

The only real popup I noticed was my penis and a guard rail 20 or so metres away (it's the 360 version). It's certainly not enough for me to change to the PS3 version and it's less than stellar triggers on the controller.

X26

Banned
:lol awesome GIF

Man, once this game is availiable to everyone I hope this thread is packed full of awesome GIFs

MercuryLS

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
That sounds about right I guess. Honestly though, I think it's worth it to get less pop-in. If it was available on the 360 I'd dl it there too.

Same here, fuck man there should be an install option for the X360 version. I'm switching my pre-order tomorrow.

ElyrionX

Damn. Which version do I get?

Has it been confirmed if the DLC will add new areas or just new missions? If it's only new missions, I'll be less keen and will be leaning towards the PS3. But if it's new areas to explore and new missions, I'll be probably lean towards the 360.

Teknoman

dejay said:
Nice - thanks. The main thing I noticed was the persistence of vehicles; driving past a line of traffic at the lights, including a motor cycle, Niko's vehicle hit a heap of other cars on the other side before spinning around. Niko jumps out and the camera swings around, and the first line of vehicles are still there, including the motor bike which Niko jacks. One of the things I didn't like about past GTAs has seemingly been addressed to a large extent.

The only real popup I noticed was my penis and a guard rail 20 or so metres away (it's the 360 version). It's certainly not enough for me to change to the PS3 version and it's less than stellar triggers on the controller.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but the Dual Shock 3's triggers are nice.

Teknoman said:
Not to add fuel to the fire, but the Dual Shock 3's triggers are nice.

I had a DSIII and actually prefered the triggers on the SIXAXIS ....yeah I'm weird =/

...one more thing...

is it known whether or not we can map Brake/Gas back to X/A button ???

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
jet1911 said:

AWESOME at how he manages to get up perfectly.

I LOVE IT!

I LOVE YOU ROCKSTAR!

Now, for this to become a standard in animations:D

EDIT: HE LEFT STAINS ON THE GROUND!!

Dr_Cogent

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Damn. Which version do I get?

Has it been confirmed if the DLC will add new areas or just new missions? If it's only new missions, I'll be less keen and will be leaning towards the PS3. But if it's new areas to explore and new missions, I'll be probably lean towards the 360.

This is going to sound nuts, but if the MP is off the hook and the DLC is amazing - I will own both versions since most online friends will have the 360 version.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wouldn't be surprised, if the PS3 version really is "superior", that Rockstar would have gimped the 360 one to have more people buy both versions:p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I wouldn't be surprised, if the PS3 version really is "superior", that Rockstar would have gimped it to have more people buy both versions:p

Hmmm, I doubt they were somehow "shooting for that", but anyhow - the fact that you can install on the PS3 probably accounts for the supposed "better" experience.

It's all about load access times it sounds like. I'm sure the differences are negligible.

Dr_Cogent said:
This is going to sound nuts, but if the MP is off the hook and the DLC is amazing - I will own both versions since most online friends will have the 360 version.

That's not really nuts. I'm going to buy 360 right now because of friends/I don't own a PS3, but in the future I'm going to buy GTA4 again if it's released on PC, otherwise I'll pick it up when I get a PS3 later this year.

Xdrive05

Ether_Snake said:
AWESOME at how he manages to get up perfectly.

I LOVE IT!

I LOVE YOU ROCKSTAR!

Now, for this to become a standard in animations:D

EDIT: HE LEFT STAINS ON THE GROUND!!

Hell yes. And it probably will, since such a HIGH profile game pulls this off so well. From now on game developers will have a lot more pressure on them to use Euphoria or some similar implementation. Games like this tend to set standards that everyone else has to try to live up to later on.

Top Bottom