• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who's got the HG 1/144 Gundam X yet? I love how it looks, better than the inevitable X Divider or Double X.

I've got a MG Crossbone for myself and a MG Unicorn for my friend coming in soon.

Shouta

I gotta pick up the 1/144 GX, been waiting for ages for it. I definitely want the Divider too when it comes. And where's my MGs of the GX and DX!? >=(

S. L.

CosmicGroinPull said:
Just finished my PG 00. Did a few minor mods around the shoulder area, plus bulked up the waist slightly. Overall, really nice kit.

If you're going to paint it, DO NOT paint the chest ring and the shoulder parts that slide around it. The shoulders on mine are pretty much stuck and don't move up anymore, it really needs smooth bare plastic to slide around properly.

Now onto the O Raiser!...

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/ID555/PG1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/ID555/PG4.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/ID555/PG3.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/ID555/PG5.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
nice, not gonna decal it?

in other news i'm almost done building and painting my SD Zaku. It's gonna be totally sweet, i promise! lol

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/pict548454rb.jpg

Trakdown

Shouta said:
I gotta pick up the 1/144 GX, been waiting for ages for it. I definitely want the Divider too when it comes. And where's my MGs of the GX and DX!? >=(

1272066537999.jpg

These are the results from that poll they had for MGs. We've got The O, Turn X, 00 Raiser, V2, and Double X.

So it looks like it's on its way, and I gotta start pulling together money for 5 new models. :D

Shirokun

I made it out to the grand opening of the Gundam Cafe in Akihabara. Took nearly two hours to get in.

Sorry for the lousy pics:

2dcda8k.jpg

They had separate lines for the cafe and the gift shop

10dupdw.jpg

There were quite a few wall decorations, including old pieces of art, and some illustrated wall tiles signed by someone involved with the show - I didn't really get a good look at who. They also had a large screen television with all sorts of Gundam related footage running, and an ad for Jaburo-blend Coffee, which you could buy at the cafe.
24y8gut.jpg

295q1qe.jpg

2yyqx53.jpg

The food was all themed - here's my plate of Red Comet pasta(right next to my battlefield nachos), made to look like the head of Char's Zaku.
2lwsqh5.jpg

kc1h20.jpg

A strange button on the bathroom wall, which I thought was to flush the toilet...
2a0eu87.jpg

...instead lights up the face on the wall - complete with sound effects.
2zz5b3k.jpg

Unfortunately, this isn't the employee dress code, but damn!
2cxizc6.jpg

15p1jrc.jpg

I saw the construction for this in Akihabara when I was there. Just a little miffed it had to open 11 days after I left. If someone could pick me up one of the beer glasses, I will handsomely reward you for your time.

B.K.

If any of you people that are building the models have a scanner, would you mind scanning the instructions and posting them? I want to make some 3D models of a Gundam and I like how the instructions for the models have a front and side view.

S. L.

B.K. said:
If any of you people that are building the models have a scanner, would you mind scanning the instructions and posting them? I want to make some 3D models of a Gundam and I like how the instructions for the models have a front and side view.
http://dalong.net/ has scans of every MG manual

Ok. I'm here to start on Gundam.

I've played Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 out of intrest and would like to start with gundam.

Where to start? I would prefer to start with Mobile Suit Gundam (0079?) but where can i watch that in the UK, Crunchyroll has Wing so i can watch that there but i would really like to start at the beginning

Shiv47

If it's the only Gundam you have access to, go for it. I didn't care for it a whole lot, but it had/has its hardcore fans. The UC (Universal Century) Gundam is the real shit, though. Wikipedia has the full list of UC series; I'd watch the movie versions of the original series and go from there, in your shoes. Basically, see the original movies, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack if you see nothing else. And then check out some of the other UC stuff, like War in the Pocket and Stardust Memory.

Xater

Some of the UC stuff hasn't aged well though imo. So beware. If you watch somethin like Wing or 00 can be hard to go back.

Blader

I love Wing, but a lot of that is due to nostalgia. Not sure how someone without that would like the series.

Xater said:
Some of the UC stuff hasn't aged well though imo. So beware. If you watch somethin like Wing or 00 can be hard to go back.

It's not like Wing's animation was all that great. How many times did we see the same damn Leos explode in the same way? :lol

S. L. said:
nice, not gonna decal it?

in other news i'm almost done building and painting my SD Zaku. It's gonna be totally sweet, i promise! lol

pict548454rb.jpg

Thanks. Nope.

And I saw your finished Zaku :lol Nice touch with the face on the shield!

Xater

Blader5489 said:
It's not like Wing's animation was all that great. How many times did we see the same damn Leos explode in the same way? :lol

True. It's been a while since I have seen Wing ;)

Are thre not some compilation movies that would make it faster to catch up for him? Although I don't think it's really that necessary. I also did not watch everything, I am one of those guys whose start was Wing. You can also just read up on the most important stuff and jump right into Unicorn.

B.K.

Xater said:
Are thre not some compilation movies that would make it faster to catch up for him?

The only ones they made into movies that I know of are Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam. The Mobile Suit Gundam movies aren't bad, but he should avoid the Zeta movies. They changed a lot of stuff in the Zeta movies and they would completely retcon ZZ Gundam out of existence if they were canon.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Xater said:
I actually watched turn a & seed first before any of the gundam shows, and had no problems moving on to stuff like 079, zeta etc. For some people though, i'd see how they would appear dated.

It's not like Wing's animation was all that great. How many times did we see the same damn Leos explode in the same way?
Most of the 90s sunrise gundam series has pretty shitty animation with the exception of turn a.:) i swear victory gundam for example, had worse animation than zeta gundam.:lol

Blader

Lafiel said:
Most of the 90s sunrise gundam series has pretty shitty animation with the exception of turn a.:) i swear victory gundam for example, had worse animation than zeta gundam.:lol

Victory is worse looking than Zeta, maybe even ZZ too. Which is a shame, because Victory also has some of the best fight choreography of any Gundam series.

I thought G looked pretty good. X looked even worse than Wing.

S. L.

the only UC that looks dated is 0079, but not in a bad way. it makes up for it with charm and awesomeness. Zeta is totally awesome by looking by my standards.

Victory's art style is just meh, meh

Has anyone bothered checking out the BD-Live features on Gundam UC vol. 1, lately?

AoD Boards said:
Some BD-Live content has come (and some has gone, apparently) for those who load the English menu...

As of tonight, the "what's new" page says that from 26 Mar - 22 Apr the "opening day stage greetings" were available.

They also added the episode storyboards to page through (46MB; 141 pages, usually with two per page) on 26 Mar, but access to them appears to end on 27 May (well, "available for viewing until ..." are their words).

On 23 April, they added an audio commentary for the episode. Production people mentioned in the description are "Kazuhiro Furuhashi (director), Yasuyuki Muto (script), Shinya Ogura (conceptual consultant), Harutoshi Fukui (story [writer of the Unicorn novels, according to ANN]), Naohiro Ogata (producer)". It's a 146MB download, and currently has no cut-off date.

A teaser says that a cast commentary (Japanese, I presume, but maybe they'll do an English one for our market?) will be part of the next update on 28 May.

Going to look at the Japanese side, it doesn't look like there's anything new in the "Special Content" section. I do see three trailers flagged as "New" in the "Information" section. One is a 32 sec "Break Blade"/"Broken Blade" trailer. There's also one for something on DVD/BD/UMD that's Code Geass-related (music, pictures, and cast and/or crew on stage). The third flagged trailer is for something VOTOMS, runs for only about 20 seconds, and replaced a previous trailer.

Blader

Vox-Pop said:
Am I the only one that liked Victory?

I wanted to like it, and it does have its strong points (Uso is cool, the music is pretty good), but the writing overall was just such a mess.

That being said, the final battle is still one of my favorite Gundam fights ever.

Xater

So I bought a HG Unicorn in destroy mode for my first painting project and now I am asking myself how I will prime that thing. There are all these clear parts everywhere!

Sielys

Where would you all suggest a person whose never seen Gundam start? My friends keep trying to get me to watch it, but meh :/

Victory is my favorite. The animation of the show was actually quite good, but it had a very flat art style. But the fight sequences are some of the best of all the UC shows.

Sielys said:
Where would you all suggest a person whose never seen Gundam start? My friends keep trying to get me to watch it, but meh :/

Start with the original movie trilogy. Mobile Suit Gundam I, II, & III. Much better than the TV series, improved animation and pacing, and keeps all the important stuff and cuts the crap out of the TV series.

If you want something more modern, then perhaps start with Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, or Gundam 00. Each one is it's own universe so you could watch or start with either.

S. L.

Xater said:
So I bought a HG Unicorn in destroy mode for my first painting project and now I am asking myself how I will prime that thing. There are all these clear parts everywhere!
with gundam you usually paint the parts seperatedly and assemble the painted parts.

Sielys said:
the classic route is
Mobile Suite Gundam 0079 Tv series (or Movie Version)
Zeta Gundam TV series
Chars Counterattack Movie
those three cover the main story arc.

the OAVs are loosely connected to the main story, so you can watch them without knowing the big picture (and maybe a good starting point if you don't want to get fully commited :p )
Gundam 0080 and 8th MS team are pretty good there.

of course there is plenty more, not to mention all the alternate universe series like SEED and stuff.

GONz

Gunpla-GAF, how hard is the jump from HG to MG? On HLJ, HG are difficulty lvl2 Actually I've never done any Gunpla before, but some models (Bandai 1/72 Macross VF-25 and -27) I've assembled are lvl2, and MG are lvl3; Am I going to rip my fingers out?

S. L.

GONz said:
Gunpla-GAF, how hard is the jump from HG to MG? On HLJ, HG are difficulty lvl2 Actually I've never done any Gunpla before, but some models (Bandai 1/72 Macross VF-25 and -27) I've assembled are lvl2, and MG are lvl3; Am I going to rip my fingers out?
all (bandai) gunpla can be assembled by babies (assuming you don't swallow the little parts)
its all snapfit, no glue or anything. if you are able to follow a manual, you have already won.
HG, MG, PG, makes no difference in that regard. there are just more parts in the higher grades

GONz

S. L. said:
all (bandai) gunpla can be assembled by babies (assuming you don't swallow the little parts)
its all snapfit, no glue or anything. if you are able to follow a manual, you have already won.
HG, MG, PG, makes no difference in that regard. there are just more parts in the higher grades
Good! MG Blue Frame 2nd Revise, you shall be mine!

Arment

After seeing only Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz when I was younger, and absolutely loving them compared to the older stuff, I am trying again to watch Gundam. I see a lot of hate on Wing but I really enjoyed it and still do. But now I'd like to get into the rest of it.

I finished the Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy (no way was I going to sit through the original series) and now I'm watching 08th MS Team. I think after 08th I'm going to watch 0083 and then go right on to Z and ZZ and then CCA.

Anyways, I've really enjoyed it so far. 08th is starting out slow, and I can't stand the Japanese voices OR the American voices (both sound awful, how did they mess both up?) so it's been kind of hard to trudge through.

Wing got lot of hate in the gundam community because it brought in lot of so called fans who never saw past wing or thought wing was Gundam. It was one of those things were fans were insecure about flood of newbies getting into the franchise but skipping everything else. Oh no, not the "wingers"

I'm looking to get a Master Asia GF13-001NHII Master Gundam model, I'm in the UK any idea where i can get one for a reasonable price?

Arment

What do you guys think about the movie compilations? I watched MS Gundam that way, was going to watch Z Gundam that way too. Just found out Turn-A was turned into a couple movies, too. Are they better (I.E. Not full of filler)?

S. L.

Arment said:
What do you guys think about the movie compilations? I watched MS Gundam that way, was going to watch Z Gundam that way too. Just found out Turn-A was turned into a couple movies, too. Are they better (I.E. Not full of filler)?
Don't watch the Z compilations! They botched them good.

No idea bout the Turn A compilation.

Subliminal said:
I'm looking to get a Master Asia GF13-001NHII Master Gundam model, I'm in the UK any idea where i can get one for a reasonable price?
hlj.com and rainbowten.co.jp both have them in stock.
rainbow10 has an antique ordering system, but they are cheaper and a lot faster than hlj

Blader

Arment said:

I like the Zeta movies, but they aren't something you should watch in lieu of the TV series on the first time. Won't make much sense to you.

I've never seen the Turn A movies, but I've heard they're a mess.

Arment said:

God no. The Zeta movies were god awful.

Pretty much no to any compilation movie. Only good compilation movies were the original MGS movies because all 3 movies were very long, and the series did have lot of fluff that was easy to toss out. To many fans, the MGS movies were superior to the MGS TV series even. The other movies for the most part were slapped together and did not have the care put into them like the MGS ones which features lot of reworked material to make it better.

The Zeta movies were sloppy and a mess. Outside of some nice new animation, it was a waste of time. The Zeta TV series is the way to go, same with any other gundam movie compilation.

Arment

BattleMonkey said:
God no. The Zeta movies were god awful.

Pretty much no to any compilation movie. Only good compilation movies were the original MGS movies because all 3 movies were very long, and the series did have lot of fluff that was easy to toss out. To many fans, the MGS movies were superior to the MGS TV series even. The other movies for the most part were slapped together and did not have the care put into them like the MGS ones which features lot of reworked material to make it better.

The Zeta movies were sloppy and a mess. Outside of some nice new animation, it was a waste of time. The Zeta TV series is the way to go, same with any other gundam movie compilation.

Glad I asked then, because I watched the MSG trilogy and liked them (and the time it saved me)

What changed so much in the Zeta movies that people didn't like them? There's 3 of them as well and seem long, so I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom