• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Arment said:
Glad I asked then, because I watched the MSG trilogy and liked them (and the time it saved me)

What changed so much in the Zeta movies that people didn't like them? There's 3 of them as well and seem long, so I'm curious.
Biggest story change?
The movies retcon CCA & ZZ gundam out of existence, and the ending is overall happier then the original tv series, less of a bodycount.

Blader

Lafiel said:
Biggest story change?
The movies retcon CCA & ZZ gundam out of existence, and the ending is overall happier then the original tv series, less of a bodycount.

It's a happier ending for sure, but I don't think there's less of a bodycount.

Also, is retconning ZZ out of existence really that bad of a thing? :lol

S. L.

gundam kit announcements from Shizuoka Hobby Show
MG The-O!!!! HUGE Kit
4602201121_ecf2aaff64.jpg

bodes well for a potential MG Kshatriya i guess

as well as plenty unicorn HGUC
Geara Zulu Custom
4602748132_5bce250e7f.jpg

Tripped over Sinanju
4602754106_568a22fd70.jpg

Delta Plus
GM Kai

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/05/mg-o-from-shizuoka-hobby-show-2010.html

Shouta

Picked up the High grade GX and the MG Wing Gundam last week, gonna wait to do them because I still have a 00 raiser Designer's color to finish and I need to do some research into making these models even better looking by painting and the like.

Anyone have a comprehensive site for techniques to improve the look of kits?

Talon

Blader5489 said:
It's not like Wing's animation was all that great. How many times did we see the same damn Leos explode in the same way? :lol
The Ares battles and then the Taurus battles in space were even more egregious.

I sure loved that shit as a kid, though.

IT'S A GUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

S. L.

Shouta said:
Picked up the High grade GX and the MG Wing Gundam last week, gonna wait to do them because I still have a 00 raiser Designer's color to finish and I need to do some research into making these models even better looking by painting and the like.

are you looking to do the whole deal? airbrush, etc? (i'm an expert
:p
)
or just panel lining/clear coating? for the basic stuff i think i wrote something up here before in this thread.

this is also a decent "quick and dirty" guide
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/213/Gundam+Modeling+Tutorial.html

I'm not sure if the movies totally retcon ZZ or CCA out of exsistince. Neo Zeon is still around, AEUG is still not in the best shape, Char is missing, and Char still has his plans for mankind regardless of what happens. CCA and ZZ could still happen, but they would just be different.

Regardless, the Zeta movies were terrible. I still had a good time seeing them though. I saw them back to back at the Chicago Film Festival with Tomino actually sitting behind me.

Shouta

S. L. said:
are you looking to do the whole deal? airbrush, etc? (i'm an expert
:p
)
or just panel lining/clear coating? for the basic stuff i think i wrote something up here before in this thread.

this is also a decent "quick and dirty" guide
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/213/Gundam+Modeling+Tutorial.html

Well, I want to get them as pretty as I can make them. Whether or not I can do everything is another issue but I'll sure try. :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rahxephon91 said:
I'm not sure if the movies totally retcon ZZ or CCA out of exsistince. Neo Zeon is still around, AEUG is still not in the best shape, Char is missing, and Char still has his plans for mankind regardless of what happens. CCA and ZZ could still happen, but they would just be different.

Regardless, the Zeta movies were terrible. I still had a good time seeing them though. I saw them back to back at the Chicago Film Festival with Tomino actually sitting behind me.
Oh, i just remembered something. Didn't the zeta movies also remove the harman karn and the axis zeon? or i am remembering this wrong.

Blader

Lafiel said:
Oh, i just remembered something. Didn't the zeta movies also remove the harman karn and the axis zeon? or i am remembering this wrong.

No, they're still there.

Though at the end, they do seem to just give up.

I actually don't mind the Zeta movies because they're not entirely depressing like the TV series can be. Not in that good Evangelion depressing kind of way, but in that FUCK YOU TOMINO STOP KILLING THESE MOTHERFUCKERS YOU CUNT way.

But yeah, the movies are not canon and Axis Zeon just fucks off to nowhere in the end.

Anyway, a pic on /m/ showed that the top 3 in the Gunpla poll were V2, The O (I'm guessing Bandai had the kit planned for a while) and 00 Raiser.

I'm definitely up for the V2 and maybe the 00 Raiser if they make it stable because fuck buying an action base because of 00 Syndrome.

The O is a possibility, but it's a very monochrome suit. It'd be a good kit to custom paint.

Lafiel said:
They are still there ,but they kind of retreat. Still, I see no reason as to why they wouldn't make a move. The Titans are gone and the AUEG could easily be beaten even they aren't as weak as they were at the end of the TV show.

I don't like the Zeta moves because they just flat out cut some important things to me, like Char's speech, Jerid's development, and the character known as Four. That and the fact that the pace moves so quick that it seems too fast.

And yeah in that picture is some super Victory Gundam look alike.

Rahxephon91 said:
I don't like the Zeta moves because they just flat out cut some important things to me, like Char's speech, Jerid's development, and the character known as Four. That and the fact that the pace moves so quick that it seems too fast.

I still can't believe Tomino decided to axe Char's speech.

Blader

Mr. Pointy said:
I actually don't mind the Zeta movies because they're not entirely depressing like the TV series can be. Not in that good Evangelion depressing kind of way, but in that FUCK YOU TOMINO STOP KILLING THESE MOTHERFUCKERS YOU CUNT way.

Doesn't everyone who die in the tv series still die in the movies? The only one whose fate ends up different, iirc, is
Kamille

Rahxephon91 said:

That's partly why I prefer the movies to the tv series :lol I like Zeta, but that show had so many fucking annoying characters. The less there is of them, the better.

Shouta said:

I have some stuff detailed on my site for assembling it the right way, and I'm working on finishing up my painting guide soon too. There are a few other blogs that I have to find, but Mine and SL's blog, and Danny Choo's guide should help you get on your feet - though some of Danny Choo's guide is... not the best way of doing it AT ALL (i.e. painting parts while still on the runner).

My blog: http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/ (I've got a few "Gundam building 101 guides)
SL's blog: http://sl-blag.blogspot.com/ (He's got great details on his kits and good lesson's learned)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
That's partly why I prefer the movies to the tv series I like Zeta, but that show had so many fucking annoying characters. The less there is of them, the better.
You don't like jerid? ;_; dude is a bad-ass.

They should have made it into a series of four movies instead IMO.

Shouta

Major Williams said:
I have some stuff detailed on my site for assembling it the right way, and I'm working on finishing up my painting guide soon too. There are a few other blogs that I have to find, but Mine and SL's blog, and Danny Choo's guide should help you get on your feet - though some of Danny Choo's guide is... not the best way of doing it AT ALL (i.e. painting parts while still on the runner).

My blog: http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/ (I've got a few "Gundam building 101 guides)
SL's blog: http://sl-blag.blogspot.com/ (He's got great details on his kits and good lesson's learned)

Thanks, I'll have to find the equivalents here in Japan. :lol

Lafiel said:
They should have made it into a series of four movies instead IMO.

Or perhaps done like the gundam trilogy movies which were almost 3 hours long each.

Turning all of Zeta into three 90 minute movies was very stupid, and didn't work. Also bunch of the new footage they put in served absolutely no purpose and was very random unlike the new footage added to the MGS movies which changed significantly or improved past awful animation. I mean like in one of the first films they add a scene of char walking, for like 30 seconds and then going back to the old animation and such. Lot of weird additions, they chose to reanimate scenes that didn't need it while leaving vital scenes untouched from the original.

farnham

Banned
To all the Gundam Gamefans... Has anyone played Gundam Trails of a Warrior for GC..?

How does it fare compared to other Gundam Titles (this or last gen)

Hero

I can't believe how good that RG 1/144 scale RX-78 looks. Might be a good line but unfortunately I'm all 1/100, mostly MG. It'd be so out of scale with my other models.

Hero said:
I can't believe how good that RG 1/144 scale RX-78 looks. Might be a good line but unfortunately I'm all 1/100, mostly MG. It'd be so out of scale with my other models.
I feel you.
I mean, I only have 4 gunpla kits, but they're all MG.
I'll probably pick up the RG RX-78 and display it at work or something, because I still really like it.

Hero

_dementia said:
I feel you.
I mean, I only have 4 gunpla kits, but they're all MG.
I'll probably pick up the RG RX-78 and display it at work or something, because I still really like it.

Haha yeah, I feel the 1/100 MG is the perfect balance of size, complexity and poseability. I might get that just to see how the RG line is. Is the line that Bandai was working on that utilizes new technology so they're not wasting so much plastic on the runners?

And yeah, Apharmd was pretty much the only guy on GAF who liked 00. He was definitely the sole member of the 00 Defense Force.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blader5489 said:
New trailer for Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Gx-2zU8D0

Don't know why I'm posting it though, everyone else here hated 00. :lol
Looks fun will see for sure, i hope unlike 00 S2 and being a movie and all. The animation and action will be well-animated and directed. Unlike most of the fights in 00 S2.:lol

Hero said:
And yeah, Apharmd was pretty much the only guy on GAF who liked 00. He was definitely the sole member of the 00 Defense Force.

00 S2 wasn't incredible, but it also wasn't unwatchable. As much as I love Gundam, I don't expect much from anime.

Hero

distantmantra said:
00 S2 wasn't incredible, but it also wasn't unwatchable. As much as I love Gundam, I don't expect much from anime.

It really was. It was awful. Anything that was done by the end of S1 was undone in S2. Lock-on dying? Twin brother! Hallelujah dead? Nope! Ali Al-Saachez? He's alive and well too! Graham? He didn't die but we'll make him completely and utterly useless in S2.

The only point of S2 was to sell more merchandise to the youth of Japan, which I'm sure it did well. As a Gundam series, it was probably the worst one.

Hero

Just finished construction of my 1/100 MG Hi Nu Gundam. Pretty freaking sweet, probably my new favorite mobile suit design. Gotta finish panel lines and applying decals and watermarks.

31240_10100329637286124_9357653_69867864_5184368_n.jpg

31240_10100329636672354_9357653_69867819_3170483_n.jpg

Blader

Hero said:
It really was. It was awful. Anything that was done by the end of S1 was undone in S2. Lock-on dying? Twin brother! Hallelujah dead? Nope! Ali Al-Saachez? He's alive and well too! Graham? He didn't die but we'll make him completely and utterly useless in S2.

The only point of S2 was to sell more merchandise to the youth of Japan, which I'm sure it did well. As a Gundam series, it was probably the worst one.

230px-Kyamato.JPG

(both his show and the one he stole)

Arment

Just curious why you guys don't like 00? I haven't seen it yet (although I'm working my way there) but from what I read it's a lot like Wing, which seems to get a lot of hate I don't get either. Is that why?

Man Gundam Seed was a decent show. It got pretty good after the Desert Arc. It was full of teen angst ,but it was still a solid show.

Destiny started off ok ,but even the beginning had noticeable problems. Then Kira comes back it it becomes slightly worse and then after episode 39 it is terrible.

I don't like 00 because season 2 destroys pretty much what season 1 did. All interesting plot developments from season 1 are pretty much thrown out or just ruined. New pointless characters. Old characters pretty much never developed and annoying antagonists.

Blader

SEED is a lowest common denominator show. It's the Gundam equivalent of a CBS show.

00, for all its many flaws (in both seasons), was at least interesting and did some cool things. SEED was creatively bankrupt.

And Destiny is just an abject failure from top to bottom.

All Gundam shows are the equivalent of cbs shows in that they are pretty comfortable tv with hardly any shocking story telling dynamics.

00 didn't really do much that was beyond other Gundam shows. And I'm sure Seed's point that it was Gundam for new people. What better way to introduce Gundam story mechanics then to dress up the original in neon color teenage angst? Even with that said, the show isn't an exact copy of the original show and pretty much goes and does its own thing in the 2nd half.

Whatever its obviously a show that not everyone can like. Its pretty annoying and sensational ,but I don't think calling it creatively bankrupt is a valid thing. The show's 2nd half does some pretty good things with its characters that a lot of Gundam shows don't do and it plays with the racism theme that few Gundam shows have touched. It does it very sensational yeah, but it does it. It does do the typical Gundam plot with the giant lazer and crap but whatever all Gundam does that pretty much. Also I felt the characters on the Zaft side are better handled then most Gundam show outside of Zeta.

Destiny also isn't a huge failure at the beginning. Theres a lot of good subplots that are actually interesting. Theres some nice relationship building between Athrun and Shinn. Most of all this goes to hell but it had actual potential.

JudgeN

Arment said:
Just curious why you guys don't like 00? I haven't seen it yet (although I'm working my way there) but from what I read it's a lot like Wing, which seems to get a lot of hate I don't get either. Is that why?

People hate Gundam Wing? Damn I think its probably one of the best gundam series ever made :lol

Ahh Gundam Altron so much awesome.

Xater said:
I don't get the 00 hate either. I really enjoyed both seasons. SEED+ Destiny though are abominations.
The only good things that came out of Destiny was the VS game and the soundtrack. Love SEED Destiny Plus VS.

S. L.

i don't get how you guys can pick 00 (any of the two seasons, but with Season 2 exponentially worse than 1) over any Gundam show except maybe Destiny.
everything in it was so bad, the "political" story setup, ridiculous (ly bad) fights, super generic/boring Mobile Suit designs, girly emo kids.

Wing at least didn't take itself too serious and was stupid fun

Hero

Blader5489 said:
230px-Kyamato.JPG

(both his show and the one he stole)

As much as Kira turned out to be a bitch I still prefer him to Setsuna.

Gundam 00 had nothing good going for it, ever. There were maybe three or for fights between both seasons that I thought were impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom