• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He's the fool that rage-quit his review of Nier when he couldn't figure out how to fish, despite the extremely conspicuous red-cross on the minimap showing he was in the wrong place.

Linky here
So He's a knob then?

aly

The hyping for this one was through the roof by the media, fans and companies involved plus it's an exclusive so that raises the stakes even more so. People were buying PS4's in advance for this.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Uhhh, I don't know what threads you were reading, but I don't remember the media or very many other people hyping this game up. People have been pretty skeptical from the start.

Adam Rosenburg is a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to QTEs.
Not really. Ryse's core combat QTEs are player driven and the button presses aren't arbitrary (like you see in some QTEs). And messing them up isn't an instant fail.

Its amazing how much of a difference player agency makes. I hate timed missions in games for instance. I just can't fucking stand them. But if the timer comes about because I chose to set some up some dynamite somewhere with a timer then its an amazing way to add tension.

Wow, now that is bullying. Seems kind of harsh for something so minor. We all do stupid stuff sometimes.

He insulted a game because of his own incompetence, you dont think a professional should be criticized for such a thing?

His tweet about the order was also extremely childish, its something i would expect from a 13 year old.

On Demand

Banned
It is.

Idk why there is weird celebratory/gloating tone surrounding the mixed reception of this game.

Its not about GAF either...Just check twitter or other websites.Its awful.

It is like a celebration. I don't think it's funny at all honestly. Yearly trash like Asscreed and COD don't even get this much criticism and those games are recycled marketing fuck you in the ass machines.

Here's something a little different from the norm and it gets "lolololololololololol WTF is this shit moviessssnogameplay5hourcrap lol RAD fail"

And people wonder why developers don't take risk anymore.

wait did someone bring up isis in here? have we crossed that bridge?

on the plus side, it only took a hundred plus (?@?!?!?!) pages for it to happen.

It is like a celebration. I don't think it's funny at all honestly. Yearly trash like Asscreed and COD don't even get this much criticism and those games are recycled marketing fuck you in the ass machines.

Here's something a little different from the norm and it gets "lolololololololololol WTF is this shit moviessssnogameplay5hourcrap lol RAD fail"

And people wonder why developers don't take risk anymore.
nah the game is getting dooked on mostly because platform fanboys can't help but act like any criticism of this game is tantamount to kicking a baby or throwing a bag of kittens in a river.

and i'm not sure how this is different from the norm. I remember playing a lot of CD-i and FMV adventure games back in the day hoho!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wow, now that is bullying. Seems kind of harsh for something so minor. We all do stupid stuff sometimes.

He did it in print, and rather than retracting or apologizing for it he came on GAF and argued with people over it. It didn't end well :D

Scoops

Banned
You talk as if the PS4 hasn't only been out for 15 months. These systems are still relatively young. The games will come.

While this is true it has to be a little unsettling to PS4 owners that some of Sony's big franchises like Infamous, LBP and Killzone have already come out and none are all that great. Especially when we also had sub-standard God of War and Gran Turismo games at the end of last gen. It's like, what is happening to Sony's studios? The only one that can really be relied upon right now is ND. When was the last time Sony released a really good game not by ND on console?

It just doesn't create a good outlook for the console when first and second party games are consistantly disappointing.

Seventy70

He insulted a game because of his own incompetence, you dont think a professional should be criticized for such a thing?

His tweet about the order was also extremely childish, its something i would expect from a 13 year old.

Did you not see the part where he actually apologized? Got to be mad at something though I guess. Calling someone a "fucking clown" because they said something bad about a game you like is something I would expect from a 13 year old.

Gestault

Adam Rosenburg is a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to QTEs.

That's specifically making reference to the combat executions. They layered over the normal kill/finish animations, so you could replenish one of several resources as long as you were controlling the pace of the fight. It only worked on weakened enemies, and was always triggered by the player, so it didn't interrupt the game or take the place of other interactions. The real strategies came in getting two or more enemies in the same fatigued state and "cashing in" the execution, because the multiplier bonus for getting more than one kill was big. It was a risk-reward system.

They're two completely different things, and you should know from reading the reviews that it's not hypocritical.

Xpliskin

Here's a more visual review summary from allgamesbeta.com :

z0DOS5p.png

As always, GAF blows it out of proportions.

Twitch livestreams:
http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/The Order: 1886

This is hands down the best looking console game I've ever laid eyes on.

I don't own a PS4

On Demand

Banned
While this is true it has to be a little unsettling to PS4 owners that some of Sony's big franchises like Infamous, LBP and Killzone have already come out and none are all that great. Especially when we also had sub-standard God of War and Gran Turismo games at the end of last gen. It's like, what is happening to Sony's studios? The only one that can really be relied upon right now is ND. When was the last time Sony released a really good game not by ND on console?

It just doesn't create a good outlook for the console when first and second party games are consistantly disappointing.

Uhhhh speak for yourself. I like Infamous and LBP.

benzy

You get actual in-game benefits for getting the QTEs right in Ryse ...

Not really. Ryse's core combat QTEs are player driven and the button presses aren't arbitrary (like you see in some QTEs). And messing them up isn't an instant fail.

That's specifically making reference to the combat executions. They layered over the normal kill/finish animations, so you could replenish one of several resources as long as you were controlling the pace of the fight. It only worked on weakened enemies, and was always triggered by the player, so it didn't interrupt the game or take the place of other interactions. The real strategies came in getting two or more enemies in the same fatigued state and "cashing in" the execution, because the multiplier bonus for getting more than one kill was big. It was a risk-reward system.

They're two completely different things, and you should know from reading the reviews that it's not hypocritical.

They still exhibit the "mindless push-the-button-to-make-some-cool-thing-happen moments" in Ryse that he was praising about that "only videogames can manage." Not a huge fan of QTEs but the execution is the same, it's "mindless" in both forms.

ultron87

He's the fool that rage-quit his review of Nier when he couldn't figure out how to fish, despite the extremely conspicuous red-cross on the minimap showing he was in the wrong place.

Linky here

I've always been sympathetic to that because I did the exact same thing and was stuck trying to fish for like a half hour. Why is the fishing trainer not at the beginner level fishing place? It is absurd.

I really like Nier.

CDV13

You should feel proud of yourself because a lot of time what gaffers think is hilarious I find to be pretty lame (tetsuo's post for example). But I have great taste and I find this image genuinely funny so congrats

I am right there with you. I feel like I rarely find things on the gaming side of this website to be funny (I especially loathe the Hitler remakes and that new one from yesterday). The head nod gifs, however, I will always enjoy.

On Topic: The piling on happens in many other mediums so I am not surprised, I just feel like it is quite excessive. I wasn't planning on buying this anyway, so don't take this as a defense or post-purchase bias.

aly

How much shit did Eurogamer get for that "You might want to hold off on Pre ordering Order:1886"

And now its Eurogamers (and others) fault for hyping it somehow?

Edit: Found it http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950824

Look at this shit.

I'm confused. I think we're on the same page? The other poster made it sound like the game was some media and fan darling that built this game up to be big. I was saying no, most of the media, like Eurogamer and consumers on forums at least have seen skeptical from the start about potential game mechanics and cut scenes. As in these scores and reactions could be seen from a mile away, and there was no or not a lot of "Hype through the roof".

This could have just some multiplayer :(
I don't think co-op, at least, would be conducive to the kind of game they made. Multiple people doing QTEs? Watching three hours of cutscenes together?

A separate mode, maybe, but few of the reviews have said that the shooting is any good, most saying the opposite. Would have been a waste of resources and money to build that mode.

Betty

Banned
As always, GAF blows it out of proportions.

This is hands down the best looking console game I've ever laid eyes on.

I don't own a PS4

This is a big upset for RAD and The Order, most of the reviews slaughter the game.

And of course it looks good, no one has contested that.

I own a PS4

They still exhibit the "mindless push-the-button-to-make-some-cool-thing-happen moments" in Ryse that he was praising about that "only videogames can manage." Not a huge fan of QTEs but the execution is the same, it's "mindless" in both forms.
If the player actively chooses to initiate them then its not mindless. And the buttons you hit in Ryse are your actual attack and block buttons - its just a matter of timing. I still think of them as very different from arbitrary QTEs with harsh fail states, doubly so when they're complete surprises or if they're pushed on the player right after a long cut-scene when the player might not be ready.

Mr. RHC

Are people really cancelling their pre-orders? 65 sounds like a good , reasonable score unlike some inflated scores we've seen in the past...

EvB

I'm confused. I think we're on the same page? The other poster made it sound like the game was some media and fan darling that built this game up to be big. I was saying no, most of the media, like Eurogamer and consumers on forums at least have seen skeptical from the start about potential game mechanics and cut scenes. As in these scores and reactions could be seen from a mile away, and there was no or not a lot of "Hype through the roof".

I think there was quite a lot of Hype, but this was from the same group of people that got hyped for Killzone and Knack. Everybody else kinda knew what was going to happen but was optimistic it might at least be a fun gaming romp

shandy706

Slightly, but not completely OT.

IF anyone is looking for a 3rd person "shooter" for the PS4, I'll say I was VERY surprised by Sniper Elite III the last couple days. I had never played the series before.

If you can find it cheap, I'd say grab it and try it out. It's like Hitman and Metal Gear Solid had a baby.

You can go in on the ground and melee/silently kill enemies. You can snipe enemies. You can set complex traps up and lure your victims in. You can even go guns blazing if you want. The "levels" are like multiple Ground Zeroes each.

yyufsj.gif

wusaex.gif

Anyway, just a suggestion as a low-cost diamond in the ruff for me. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected, and probably would have completely overlooked it.

Armaros

I was agreeing with you, and was bringing up the Eurogamer thread-naught as an example.

Sorry for the tone confusion :p

(also my disappointment in remember how big of an 'issue' it was here and now other posters trying to say the opposite of what happened)

benzy

If the player actively chooses to initiate them then its not mindless. And the buttons you hit in Ryse are your actual attack and block buttons - its just a matter of timing. I still think of them as very different from arbitrary QTEs with harsh fail states, doubly so when they're complete surprises or if they're pushed on the player right after a long cut-scene when the player might not be ready.

Ah, I see what you're saying.

Kayant

Man, I can't recall any game getting this kind of pile on after reviews were out. Seems excessive.

Damn they really are not giving it a pass.

Expected the game not to review well it would do a bit better. Still reviewers are just opinions and am sure there will be many that will enjoy it like with Ryse although both are not my cup of tea.

Man this thread keeps on delivering.

Belldandy

Banned
Are you even aware of various reasons ISIS has actually ended up killing people?

I thought reasons were legitimate things, i.e. they required the use of reason. It has already been reported by various media outlets recently that ISIS are more or less an apocalyptic doomsday cult. It made front page on CNN the other day.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

People are entitled to their opinions, no matter how harsh it can be, as long as no one is being physically/mentally hurt in the process, I see no harm in it. Its the game industry and creators need to have thick skin if they want to improve. The creators can either take this criticism and grow from it or disregard it.

IF anyone is looking for a 3rd person "shooter" for the PS4, I'll say I was VERY surprised by Sniper Elite III the last couple days. I had never played the series before.

If you can find it cheap, I'd say grab it and try it out. It's like Hitman and Metal Gear Solid had a baby.

You can go in on the ground and melee/silently kill enemies. You can snipe enemies. You can set complex traps up and lure your victims in. You can even go guns blazing if you want. The "levels" are like multiple Ground Zeroes each.

Anyway, just a suggestion as a low-cost diamond in the ruff for me. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected, and probably would have completely overlooked it.

This is a really good game. People need to buy this.

Linky here

Niers fishing was stupid, but my days that's still hilarious to this day.

That was really well made.

Not a game by a respected developer that took 5 years to make.

Why does the studios pedigree or how long it took to make matter at all? That's their problem the game should stand on it's own merits.

yyufsj.gif

wusaex.gif

They really stepped it up a notch with part 3. The series is known for a flawed but entertaining experience. Those x-ray kills never get old, and if I'm not mistaken this is where Nether Realm got the idea from.

Xpliskin

This is a big upset for RAD and The Order, most of the reviews slaughter the game.

And of course it looks good, no one has contested that.

I own a PS4

"A big upset" and "slaughter the game" are very subjective ways to describe reception.

For all we know they are happy with the reception, they knew what they were making.

It's a 6/10 game that's a technical marvel but meh at actual gameplay.

Not bad for a studio's first IP I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom