• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

People bashing the short length, linearity and lack of multi/leveling up stuff/customization of The Order (specially if it doesn't sell) is sending a message to the devs: make more open world games with tons of hours of repetitive stuff to make it the game longer and MMORPG stuff to grind and make it even longer, even if the game doesn't need it.

Are there reviews actually bashing it for those reasons?

Seventy70

Damn Sony's exclusives been shitting the bed with review scores. Maybe Bloodborne will turn the streak around.

Don't see Uncharted getting favorable reviews this gen either if reviewers are gonna be harsh on cinematic games.

Uncharted actually has variety in gameplay elements like platforming that make up for it. Also, there aren't cutscenes and QTEs every couple of seconds.

A demo would be nice. Any mention of one coming to the PS Store?

I always prefer my own judgment to the so called "journalists" slapping a number on games for a living.

Kevin

I don't even have a PS4 yet but was excited about this game. These reviews convinced me that $20 is about the most I would be willing to pay for it. Lots of triple AAA games coming out these days and are just not very good. Quite a shame! :(

FHIZ

Meh. Still going to buy it tomorrow. Use Best Buy GCU, pay $47, beat it, sell it on eBay for close to that amount, be happy it probably is cheaper than starting a Gamefly subscription again and hoping I get it before I'm billed again.

I win?

Ame

The simple answer to everyone's problem is if you still want it after today's shit storm, buy it. If not, move on. There's a slew of other games on the way this year. Play them, have fun, and come back to The Order 1886 when the price makes more sense to you in comparison with the games content and length.

UC3 didn't deserve anywhere close to an 87 MC imo, let alone what it got. The reviews were seriously inflated because of the hype and frankly the fear of backlash. I expect similar for UC4. A lot of sites wont dare go below 90 for a game like UC4.
That's almost like a conspiracy theory. What a joke. If the game is good, it will get good reviews.

hohoXD123

But you're not discussing anything. You're just saying "Reviews are sometimes at odds with my tastes, thus, they don't really matter!"

Which

Sure?

You don't care what other people's professional opinions on The Order are, so I was honestly curious why you were in a thread specifically about other people's professional opinions on The Order. It's like going into a thread for The Wire and saying "Man, I don't care about The Wire."

I'm not saying you can't dislike reviews or disagree with reviews or have no opinion on them whatsoever, I just think going into a review thread to announce your ambivalence to the subject at hand is really quite curious.
But it's not. That would be more akin to going into The Order OT thread and saying that you're not interested in it. Review threads are a bit different. The reviews may not impact on you personally buying the game or not, but you can still care about what score the game gets and how it's perceived by others, whether you feel the criticisms are valid or they make no sense and whether they match up to your experience when you get around to playing it. It's interesting to keep up with if anything, if nothing then for the drama ;)

People bashing the short length, linearity and lack of multi/leveling up stuff/customization of The Order (specially if it doesn't sell) is sending a message to the devs: make more open world games with tons of hours of repetitive stuff to make it the game longer and MMORPG stuff to grind and make it even longer, even if the game doesn't need it.

There is such a thing as a good 5 hour game.
The Order doesn't appear to be one of them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought the tweet by Justin was pretty funny. It's a lighthearted joke, no big deal.

The other tweet string where that person said something like "so every scene in the crappy game" or whatever just felt overly spiteful though.

I guess I just don't really see what Uncharted 3 did that was "so much worse" than the other two. I thought it was about as good as Uncharted 2. It played the same to me.

I get maybe not liking it as much as the first two, but again I'm not sure where the hate stems from as it really just felt like another good Uncharted game to me. I don't see this massive dip in quality that some let on about it having.

There's been a lot of arguments about this over the years on GAF. I'm in the camp that didn't like it while 2 was my goty the year it released, and a few of those reasons are from breaking down the pacing, encounter design, etc.

The games are really, really different even if it initially seems like it's just more uncharted. It also had that whole messed up aiming thing going on, which was oddly missed by just about every reviewer yet immediately noticed by people the moment the first aimed a gun.

hal9001

Banned
The game is a battle of ideologies. Those that have a irrational hatred of "cinematic" games against those that would prefer diversity of all types. It seems as some reviewers are using this game to send a message just to take a shot at a genre of gaming they don't like.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
It was not a "New thing" like Uncharted 1
It was not a "We improved everything of the previous game on this game" game.

U2 was the game that changed everything that was bad on U1. Graphics, gameplay and storywise. U3 did nothing new. It was just "another uncharted like U2".

My favorite to play is U3...but I know U2 is the best.

For me personally Uncharted 3 from a story perspective felt very off-kilter compared to 2. In terms of gameplay with the added Melee stuff though I thought it was great.

There's a night and day difference between a game whose filmic qualities come about as a result of player actions and choice and ones that wrest control of the player away to do so.

If Uncharted 4 plays like the gameplay reveal/target it'll do just fine.

Seriously. The best thing that's gonna come from the Order flopping critically like this is that hopefully for the next game they are gonna know how to best maximize their gameplay opportunities.

LordJim

Or make good campaigns like Wolfenstein or Alien: Isolation did?
Or Bioshock 1 and 2?
It's not like The Order does anything actually new.

Sony's exclusive output this gen has been underwhelming tbh.

It's pretty much like this early on in every generation. I wouldn't say that Microsoft's output has been anything sterling either, yet. The PS3 and 360, IMO, took a while to really get going. Nintendo is the only company that actually nails this aspect but apparently people don't care about that.

Figments

From what I've read, that isn't the main criticism at all--in fact, I haven't seen it discussed once. The problem with the game is that it assumes the player can't get by without extensive hand-holding, as well as attempting to tell a grandiose story and falling flat on its face. There are examples of linear games being held up as critical darlings--Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us fit right in there--but they were actually good at what they did.

It's not just the length though: it's the QTEs, the crap story, and mediocre gameplay.

True. Some of the highest rated games are pretty short (Uncharted 2, Journey, Walking Dead etc).

Game getting bashed simply becuase reviwers pretty much didn't like anything about, it's not just length.

Nick_crx

Banned
Funny thing when I talk to casuals, this is the firat game that comes out of their mouths. This game gonna sell.

Yeah then they get bored after the first play through and trade it in.

A few weeks later there will be a mountain of pre owned games for a quarter of the price.

jpax

The game is a battle of ideologies. Those that have a irrational hatred of "cinematic" games against those that would prefer diversity of all types. It seems as some reviewers are using this game to send a message just to take a shot at a genre of gaming they don't like.

This is some sjw shit from a whole other level.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death

Yeah that worked out well for DA:I

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
From what I've read, that isn't the main criticism at all--in fact, I haven't seen it discussed once. The problem with the game is that it assumes the player can't get by without extensive hand-holding, as well as attempting to tell a grandiose story and falling flat on its face. There are examples of linear games being held up as critical darlings--Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us fit right in there--but they were actually good at what they did.

I don't think it's that they think the player CAN'T get by without handholding, it's just that they want to handhold, which is fine, but they are doing it too much.

Somewhat. Solid gunplay, spectacular graphics, great voice acting. That's about it.

There's absolutely zero replay value. Like, there nothing to do after you beat it. Literally. There's also way to much hand holding and it's super linear.

Honestly you make it sound like the perfect beginner shooter to introduce someone new to an "adult" game.

TM94

We are just over a year in.

Chill.

There's plenty to play.

Yeah no doubt I'm not too fussed over it, just stating a viewpoint.
My only console so it's my third-party home too.

Nevertheless I am surprised at how lukewarm their exclusives have been received.

...or, you know, they could make it like the TLOU. A game that had depth, legnth, replayabilty, and a good story.

False equivalencys are stupid.

MormaPope

Banned
It's pretty much like this early on in every generation. I wouldn't say that Microsoft's output has been anything sterling either, yet. The PS3 and 360, IMO, took a while to really get going. Nintendo is the only company that actually nails this aspect but apparently people don't care about that.

The 360 had Oblivion, CoD 2, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six Vegas, Condemned, and Gears of War all in a year. The 360 was a fantastic console to own in 2006, besides the damn thing melting after a few weeks or months.

this is so fucked. one day before to game is released and reviews have sucked the hype completely out of this game. the people at RaD must be feeling pretty deflated right now.

I guess if the game sells well enough the reviews wont matter as much.

Well I'm done posting here, I really have nothing more to say until I play the game for myself and see if I agree with these reviews.

People are overreacting on all sides which I suppose is to be expected. Games come out every week that I consider to be mediocre or uninspired, it's funny how I just ignore them. I think everyone just needs to worry less about what other people like/dislike.

Eh, what? The Last of Us did remarkably well both critically and sales-wise, why would that all be erased by The Order? If anything is going to drive developers to open-world games, it's that GTA keeps breaking records.

The Order isn't nearly as important as you guys have convinced yourselves.

It's not my responsibility to fluff up games that do things I don't like because I worry what other developers might do and it's definitely not my responsibility as a consumer to reward them with money so they don't take the wrong lesson from it. That's a shitty onus to put on anyone and I'm guessing, were we not solely talking about a Sony exclusive, you wouldn't be willing to put your money where your mouth is, either.

TM94

Nintendo get the props they deserve in GAF tbh.

Microsoft have been slightly better with Sunset, Forza, Titanfall and Dead Rising 3 I would say.

But yeah nothing to set the world alight, although they seem to be pretty great titles by all accounts.

The 360 had Oblivion, CoD 2, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six Vegas, Condemned, and Gears of War all in a year.

Gears and Oblivion, definitely, but the others (to me) were either mediocre as hell or just okay. I'm not saying that the 360 was weak but I do think both consoles got progressively better across their lifespan, especially the PS3 which just came out swinging later on.

Purkake4

Banned
Or maybe they game is mediocre as multiple reviews have said and rated as such?

Nick_crx

Banned
Well I'm done posting here, I really have nothing more to say until I play the game for myself and see if I agree with these reviews.

People are overreacting on all sides which I suppose is to be expected. Games come out every week that I consider to be medicore or uninspired, it's funny how I just ignore them. I think everyone just needs to worry less about what other people like/dislike.

um...no please don't go?

jett

D-Member
Damn Sony's exclusives been shitting the bed with review scores. Maybe Bloodborne will turn the streak around.

Don't see Uncharted getting favorable reviews this gen either if reviewers are gonna be harsh on cinematic games.

The Uncharted games are very different from the likes of The Order. The average cut-scene lasts about two minutes, for starters, and you usually have them as bookends for chapters. You're not being constantly interrupted with video. Look at Uncharted 4's proper reveal, it was all about the gameplay, right at the forefront.

The Order seemed to draw inspiration more from David Cage in its cinematic aspirations, but even those games, surprisingly to me, turned out to offer more meaningful interaction to the players from moment to moment. The Order is just strange. Protip for future developers: only Kojima can "pull off" 10+ minute-long cut-scenes. :p

Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.
Should I know who this person is?

jpax

this is so fucked. one day before to game is released and reviews have sucked the hype completely out of this game. the people at RaD must be feeling pretty deflated right now.

I guess if the game sells well enough the reviews wont matter as much.

Yeah it is really fucked up seeing reviewers doing their job and saving people from pre launch hype...

Abounder

Banned
Not surprised at the reviews. This game is basically a caricature of what's wrong in the AAA space, and doesn't offer much for enthusiasts like reviewers or forum users.

kmax

It will be really interesting to see how the game performs sales wise now that it got brutally ripped apart by the reviewers.

I wonder if Pachter is still feeling comfortable with that 5 million prediction..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom