• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why the hell does this keep being used? What dev house doesn't spend years working on their game? Stop bringing this pity party nonsense of "Oh, the devs spent years on this, so I'll just not say anything bad, so they won't feel bad."
I think in this case it's because we're accutely aware of the fact that this is a passion project for the studio and what they wanted to be their springboard AAA franchise. It's a lot easier for people to mock when it's clearly a highly corporate decision to ship a game unfinished for a deadline than it is for a polished passion project that just isn't all that good.

Personally it's a bummer since I like the studio and have been looking forward to the game but I've never been a fan of the "people worked hard" defence. I plan on writing up my criticisms in detail once I play the game and dissecting it that way.

Next time you so called """""journalists""""" want to review a game, here are some helpful pointers from me, the man on "the streets":

• Divide a game into six different categories: Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Presentation, Replayability, and GamePro Face. Each of these scientific and objective scores should be then combined via an algorithm that mathematicians still aren't sure is real. If the final score doesn't match your opinion, that's proof that you were biased. This mathematical standard will hold up pretty well until a game I think I'll like is reviewed poorly under it, and then we'll need to restart all over again.
  • Review a game for what it is, not what it isn't. If you state that the game isn't good, then that's pretty unfair to the developers, who might not have wanted to make a good game.
  • Consider that by criticizing a game, you're criticizing every game in that genre by extension, and telling the developers not to bother making any game remotely like it ever again. Logically, it follows that we'll eventually reach a point where no games will ever be made again, and that's bad because I want to preorder more of them as soon as they're announced.
  • Imagine the feelings of the developers. Be fair and criticize them, but not as much as you're thinking about criticizing about them, however much that is. That's too much. Remember that developers have families to feed. Imagine if reviewing a game poorly caused ISIS to besiege the developer's town. Imagine if the developers joined ISIS to make money because now their studio is shut down. Didn't think about that, did ya.

Fitting after the latest Loot Crate giveaway

Magneto-perfection.gif

MrHoot

Next time you so called """""journalists""""" want to review a game, here are some helpful pointers from me, the man on "the streets":

• Divide a game into six different categories: Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Presentation, Replayability, and GamePro Face. Each of these scientific and objective scores should be then combined via an algorithm that mathematicians still aren't sure is real. If the final score doesn't match your opinion, that's proof that you were biased. This mathematical standard will hold up pretty well until a game I think I'll like is reviewed poorly under it, and then we'll need to restart all over again.
  • Review a game for what it is, not what it isn't. If you state that the game isn't good, then that's pretty unfair to the developers, who might not have wanted to make a good game.
  • Consider that by criticizing a game, you're criticizing every game in that genre by extension, and telling the developers not to bother making any game remotely like it ever again. Logically, it follows that we'll eventually reach a point where no games will ever be made again, and that's bad because I want to preorder more of them as soon as they're announced.
  • Imagine the feelings of the developers. Be fair and criticize them, but not as much as you're thinking about criticizing about them, however much that is. That's too much. Remember that developers have families to feed. Imagine if reviewing a game poorly caused ISIS to besiege the developer's town. Imagine if the developers joined ISIS to make money because now their studio is shut down. Didn't think about that, did ya.

Slow clap

I think the sillyness broke one of the mods and he has now entered a separate reality. This is probably a hint for what the next Silent Hill will be like

Fularu

Banned

Those guidelines seem fair :p

TomShoe

Banned
Cheers lol. Yeah it's still around. Mostly populated by Dualshockers articles starting off with "PS4 exclusive The Order gets more screenshots I've nabbed while refreshing Neogaf".

Still, it feels like home.

The majority on there are silent atm. The Order's critical failings have created an eerie silence on there at the moment.

paging Abriael

Ramenman

Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

This is clearly humourous here.

Actually, it's not even clear wether he's mocking the game, or stupid "controversy" about its length.

There's no problem.

It seems there is huge pressure that comes with being :

1) AAA 2)Exclusive 3)New IP

It seems there is a sort of crack down on what the developers tried to achieve with this game.

If this were an indie/budget title it wouldn't get nearly as much flame but could actually be praised to the heavens.

Journey,the walking dead,gone home were all such games that are championed for being different.

The Order's status entailed a lot of expectations.A strict definition of what constitutes a game is being artificially applied in full force here.

It needed to be long,beefy and with a support of multitudes of online modes.It needed to be a "hardcore game".

I don't think there is anything wrong with a game being focused on sheer audio/visual beauty.Part of the enjoyment of art is simply taking everything in and appreciating it for what is.There doesn't need to be a consumerist view when evaluating everything that pertains to art.

We really need to get this out of the way: journalists are not reviewing the Order poorly because it does things differently. There are games that do things differently, even things the Order does, even games that came out for $60, even games that were short, cinematic experiences, that were not nearly as trashed.

The actual reviews outline their problems with the game. Let's just go through some of them.

For example, Ready at Dawn chose to use a very close over the shoulder view during gameplay. While it makes the game feel more intimate, this camera location can be problematic during combat scenarios, obscuring your visibility.

Despite the fantasy underpinnings, you only ever come across human adversaries during the shooter sections - and, thanks to a quirk in the story that's never satisfyingly resolved, they're all cockneys and Irishmen who wear bowler hats while exclaiming 'Cor, blimey' (I kid you not) as they're grazed by your bullets. Later, in the tradition of many third-person shooters, some of the more stubborn foot-soldiers find metal hats to wear.

And though these sequences are certainly interactive, The Order: 1886 does little to elevate them beyond their most basic elements. The encounters in which you actually fight the monsters that are billed as such a large part of the game are dwarfed by those in which you’re simply whack-a-mole shooting goons. I lost count of the times I traded small-arms fire with waves of hapless guards and fodder until an ally says “That’s all of them,” and it was time to move on.

That said, it telegraphs its third act badly, and also gives each main character a magical health drink that revives them from almost any injury: pretty much the only thing that gets killed here is the tension.

And so forth.

This isn't "I am reviewing Football Manager and I can't even directly control the quarterback, 3/10." This is reviews saying that they did not find what was there engaging. We can agree that the third-person shooter parts are, you know, third-person shooter parts, right? Why, then, do they still do things that were oldhat by the middle of last generation? The precedence is there to follow, it's not a lack of innovation, it's a lack of ignoring established solutions.

This narrative that the media is out to get games that aren't a certain type, or as you put it

It needed to be long,beefy and with a support of multitudes of online modes.It needed to be a "hardcore game".

is madness. Shadows of Mordor was short and with no online multiplayer, it won Game of the Year in a ton of places. Long, beefy games like Destiny did not and were mostly panned. The Walking Dead was hailed as a revolution in game design and sweeped awards left and right, it is none of what you described. It's more like The Order than you would probably like to admit, but it doesn't fall down on its execution.

Gaming community, I am begging you, move off the idea that because someone disagrees with you, it is either because they are incompetent or have an agenda that leads to the ruination of all video games. Some people are clearly crazy, some people walk into biases, there is not a systematic institution in place to trash the game you happen to be hyped for at that specific moment. The Order is not being reviewed poorly because the point was missed, the point was just dull.

This. People should really play this game. Ultimate Edition along with the DLCs is coming in March. So no excuse anymore peepz.
Bloodborne

I would advise anyone to wait for Ultimate, considering all of the gun dlc packs for a game not particularly loaded with guns. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oogedei

you haven't played it and are comfortable calling the devs lazy? If there's a problem, I don't think them being lazy is it. I'll form my own thoughts when I play the game tomorrow.

This thread is about reviews. According to the reviews this game seems to be mediocre. I could play every goddamn game on this planet to have a real opinion on them, yes but I'm referring to the reviews here. And when the majority says (it's not only one review) the story is lame, well then I have to make a decision. I don't want to waste my time and money on something which is very likely not worth it.
Apart from that have fun dude. I don't have a problem with you having fun with this game :p

Kevin

After watching a video review, I am beginning to wonder if this game should be treated like an adventure game? Would that be such a bad thing?

Violet_0

Banned
When a creator puts out his work in the world, where everyone can see it, he should expect any and every kind of criticism. Journalists ridiculing your, apparently mediocre, product is par for the course.

I don't think anybody was sorry for Lair's developers at the time, or for Haze's ones (not the same score range but you get what I mean). What's with the sudden "poor devs" approach?

a game may only be reviewed poorly if it's not a highly anticipated. That would just be bullying, obviously

I come here expecting discussion on this game but all I see here are comparisons to ISIS.

What the fuck guys, these are fucking videogame reviews we're talking about. I don't like a whole lot of videogame journalism but I don't see them blowing up mosques and churches, raping innocent women, forcing children into sexual slavery and into warfare, beheading innocent civilians, murdering homosexuals and so on.

Get some fucking perspective. Holy shit.

Haines

Banned
Am I crazy or did everyone go from saying journalists can't be trusted they hand out to many good reviews to oh god journalists are too hard on games.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Gaming community, I am begging you, move off the idea that because someone disagrees with you, it is either because they are incompetent or have an agenda that leads to the ruination of all video games. Some people are clearly crazy, some people walk into biases, there is not a systematic institution in place to trash the game you happen to be hyped for at that specific moment. The Order is not being reviewed poorly because the point was missed, the point was just dull.

Pretty much. I think we're heading for a DriveClub-esque situation here where the people who like the game and think it was reviewed badly have some bizarre notion that the game was criticised a) for technical issues and b) for not being the kind of game they wanted, whereas no reviews mentioned the technical issues and they faulted the game for being boring.

With reviews, I think some people read what they expect to read, and the words of the review have little to do with it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I actually read the Kotaku review and it seems weird.

The actual complaints he has against the game are worded in a way that could EASILY apply to Uncharted or Gears of War. So either it needs to be reworded or Kirk has an axe to grind.

I understand the complaints against this game. Completely. But he just worded them strangely in his review in my opinion.

Did you read what I wrote?

I just expect them to behave like professionals, rate the game 0 out 100 for all I care.

I am specifically addressing a specific point that I bolded in your comment because I have yet to see in all my days on gaming enthusiast forums someone use the "the dev team worked years" nonsense quite like you and a few other have.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

no one fucks with the Gamepro face metric.

no one

"Devs need to have thick skin."

Really? Was that part of their education? They asked for nothing but to make video games. Now all of a sudden they're supposed to be punching bags, too? They aren't public personalities, they're game developers.

Creators in general need to have a thick skin. That is, music artists, painters, filmmakers, etc.

Because not everyone is going to love their work. And people will be opinionated about their work, whether it is free or not.

Gestault

Coffee was spat.

Con_Smith

Banned
Reading those reviews has me in stitches looking at all the shit that got knob slobbed last year. In this day and age having sub par content and being broken to shit is worthy of praise and a decent first show aint shit.

Glad I listen to gamers more than reviewers cause the impressions here seem more grounded. Plus thanks to the sale this week it'll be in my rotation while i wait for Bloodbourne.

Kacho

Gold Member
If you are buying short, QTE infested games that are 25% cutscenes to impress upon your friends how awesome the PS4 is, you are part of the problem, in more ways than one.

Its certainly stupid but I wouldn't consider it problematic. We're talking about an incredibly small number of people who would go out their way to do this.

pswii60

After watching a video review, I am beginning to wonder if this game should be treated like an adventure game? Would that be such a bad thing?
Because adventure games typically have a lot more exploration and puzzle aspects, so I'm not sure it would win there either. Maybe it's better treated like a Jason game. Press X.

Jobbs

Banned
Slightly, but not completely OT.

IF anyone is looking for a 3rd person "shooter" for the PS4, I'll say I was VERY surprised by Sniper Elite III the last couple days. I had never played the series before.

If you can find it cheap, I'd say grab it and try it out. It's like Hitman and Metal Gear Solid had a baby.

You can go in on the ground and melee/silently kill enemies. You can snipe enemies. You can set complex traps up and lure your victims in. You can even go guns blazing if you want. The "levels" are like multiple Ground Zeroes each.

yyufsj.gif

wusaex.gif

Anyway, just a suggestion as a low-cost diamond in the ruff for me. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected, and probably would have completely overlooked it.

If you want your game to be invisible in a lineup on a piece of paper, call it something like "Sniper Elite". I don't know if the game is bad or good, but I've yet to give it a single thought, perhaps largely because of the title.

By the way, who thought slow motion cinematic of the bullet flying was ever a good idea?

Freeman

Banned

I am specifically addressing a specific point that I bolded in your comment because I have yet to see in all my days on gaming enthusiast forums someone use the "the dev team worked years" nonsense quite like you and a few other have.

I said it once I think.

I think it isn't cool for professional reviewers to mock other people perceived failures when they clearly were making an effort, if you disagree good for you, I still stand by what I said.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly even after all this I wouldn't be surprised if this game snatches like 4th, 5th or 6th on GAF GOTY voting.

Caronte

While this is true it has to be a little unsettling to PS4 owners that some of Sony's big franchises like Infamous, LBP and Killzone have already come out and none are all that great. Especially when we also had sub-standard God of War and Gran Turismo games at the end of last gen. It's like, what is happening to Sony's studios? The only one that can really be relied upon right now is ND. When was the last time Sony released a really good game not by ND on console?

It just doesn't create a good outlook for the console when first and second party games are consistantly disappointing.

Enjoy Shuhei Yoshida at the head of SCEWWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom