• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SystemBug

If you want your game to be invisible in a lineup on a piece of paper, call it something like "Sniper Elite". I don't know if the game is bad or good, but I've yet to give it a single thought, perhaps largely because of the title.

By the way, who thought slow motion cinematic of the bullet flying was ever a good idea?
Ummm...the slow mo bullet is a great idea. What are you talking about?

Miyukipedia

Neo Member
Reading those reviews has me in stitches looking at all the shit that got knob slobbed last year. In this day and age having sub par content and being broken to shit is worthy of praise and a decent first show aint shit.

Glad I listen to gamers more than reviewers cause the impressions here seem more grounded. Plus thanks to the sale this week it'll be in my rotation while i wait for Bloodbourne.

I honestly cannot tell if this is satire. I really hope it is.

The game isn't even technically out yet. The "gamers" you listen to are just people with their hands over their ears trying to ignore the obvious bad impressions of the game. This is getting just sad.

Ominym

Banned
If you want your game to be invisible in a lineup on a piece of paper, call it something like "Sniper Elite". I don't know if the game is bad or good, but I've yet to give it a single thought, perhaps largely because of the title.

By the way, who thought slow motion cinematic of the bullet flying was ever a good idea?

They probably thought it was a good idea because it is a good idea.

Ferrio

Banned

You're right, it was a *great* idea.

q9O4EFx.gif

Chabbles

I think the worst thing to come from all this is that dev who made the analogy about the steak, they may never be able to enjoy a good steak again... They could be in a restaurant 10 years from now, and see the word "steak" on the menu, and BOOM!

1243594993_cupcakedog-war-flashbacks.gif

charsace

I'm not surprised by the reviews. The game looks great, but none of the game play videos looked interesting. And the hands on for this were always mixed. Then they pushed the game out into this year and then pushed Bloodborne out a month. Just had that feeling that the reviews would not be glowing.

You'll discover soon that it's not a bad game at all.

As for embargoes. Well I could see publishers doing what you said or blacklisting some gaming medias, not allowing them to review the game, especially with those that are regularly unfair with their games.

Blacklisting is too extreme and only results in further negative media from the press ( see Kotaku and the PlayStation Home leak). What we'll likely see is embargoes ending after a game's release as in attempt to prevent early negative reactions resulting in cancelled pre-orders - like Ubifsoft did with AC: Unity. Kind of a snake method and is bad for the industry in many ways, but maybe it will teach people not to pre-order and complain later when a game doesn't live up to expectations.

simtmb

Er dumb question but why? There are literally hundreds of other games you can buy instead of this that are more likely to be better. What makes you excited about this game?

Nah, its fair to ask I guess.
There's a number of reasons, but its mainly what I feel like currently.

I really like the setting, and I'm all in all just really curious to experience it for myself, and as with every game I look to buy, my purchasing decisions are never influenced.
This is actually the first review I've seen for a game in the longest I can remember, and that's because I was checking this thread and why it had over 100 pages so quickly lol.

At this point in time, I'm after a focused single player romp, it's what I feel like. Coming off a fairly long break in gaming (with a few short moments of resuming), I'm not looking for anything lengthy or even spectacular. My interest is solely in the setting, and from what I've seen. Simply, I'm just really keen, and I don't mind taking the plunge :)

Who knows, I might really like it for what it is.

Frillen

People love that about the game, me included :). Never got tired of it. You can skip it if you want though.

benjammin

"Devs need to have thick skin."

Really? Was that part of their education? They asked for nothing but to make video games. Now all of a sudden they're supposed to be punching bags, too? They aren't public personalities, they're game developers.

You don't get points just for trying. Movie studios release bad movies and get destroyed by reviewers. Musicians release bad albums and get destroyed by reviewers. Car manufacturers release a bad car and get destroyed by reviewers. People are entitled to their opinions on a game. I've never seen anyone on here crying for Titus because they tried really hard on Superman 64. RAD made an average game, and now they have the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and come back strong with their sequel or their next new IP. You're not doing anyone any favors by criticizing the opinions of people who didn't enjoy a game, particularly when the feelings seem to be fairly unanimous.

Donthizz#

Ok i'm at the hospital chapter and really enjoying it so far. I don't understand all these negative reviews. there is going to be a backlash on I think when more people get their hands on this game.

Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

I can't believe plinkett said the mean things he said about star wars. it was highly unprofessional of him to say mean things about movies george lucas spent years working very very hard on. also, plinkett killed his wife, so why is he not in jail for his mean reviews and wife murder

What's up with people getting all edgy about poorly reviewed game. It's clearly that most people who were hyped about the game clearly were only interested in graphics and nothing more.

Also people are now saying Bloodborne will deliver, deliver what? The discussion is about The order, what's Bloodborne has to do with anything?

Gestault

I don't know if the game is bad or good, but I've yet to give it a single thought, perhaps largely because of the title.

Hopefully someone posting a well-meaning recommendation would catch your eye more than a better title, if it's up your ally.

I'm picking it up tomorrow.

If it sucks, I'll trade it back and only will have spent $30 to play it. I don't think it will be as bad as feared.

In fact, games have gotten too open ended and I rarely complete them - I'm craving a tight, concise game with an intriguing narrative - so I'm actually excited

Seventy70

What's up with people getting all edgy about poorly reviewed game. It's clearly that most people who were hyped about the game clearly were only interested in graphics and nothing more.

Also people are now saying Bloodborne will deliver, deliver what? The discussion is about The order, what's Bloodborne has to do with anything?

Console Warz

Marc

Enjoy Shuhei Yoshida at the head of SCEWWS.

Fair point, he isn't getting much of the flak when he is running the show.

Bloodborne is his baby though so if that is a great game then it may be a bit of a saving grace.

Bit worried I went with the wrong console at this point, MS since the shitstorm they created have been on point and Sony have just been busy counting their cash seemingly. The lack of non-stability related updates and the crash and burn of PS plus really doesn't help either.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I think the worst thing to come from all this is that dev who made the analogy about the steak, they may never be able to enjoy a good steak again... They could be in a restaurant 10 years from now, and see the word "steak" on the menu, and BOOM!

LOOOOOL

I said it once I think.

I think it isn't fun to mock other people perceived failures when they clearly were making an effort, if you disagree good for you, I still stand by what I said.

This isn't kindergarten. We aren't telling kids that their picture of a green circle is a great representation of a house. This is a developer, a team of creative folks who put out a product. Sure they were passionate about it, but sitting there and saying "there there, you are a superstar because you tried" is not how it works. I know when I fail to deliver or deliver something of poor quality my boss isn't coming to me and giving me a gold star because I tried. I am getting pulled into a conference room and reamed because what I delivered was bad. Hell I got reamed for stuff I didnt deliver but was associated to the project.

How else are RAD and other studios going to learn? And this is coming from someone who owns Knack, LBP3, Driveclub and The Order, 4 of the 6 exclusives that have launched on PS4 that have had middling to terrible reviews.

arevin01

Honestly guys, the Order is breaking new ground, I've never seen such much hate for a game that is yet to be released, its unprecedented territory. Its setting the bar, anytime you see a new game get criticized, it will always be known that the Order 1886 was worse.

KooopaKid

Banned
Honestly even after all this I wouldn't be surprised if this game snatches like 4th, 5th or 6th on GAF GOTY voting.

No way in hell. It's going to be forgotten by the end of the month or by Bloodborne's release if I'm being more optimistic. The game has 4 hours of actual gameplay and zero replayability without the advantage of having a touching story. This is the perfect bargain bin game.

Nzyme32

Post purchase rationalization in effect as well as a comparison of videogame journalists to ISIS out of all things.

It is absolutely hilarious to me that the percieved difference of score from a 7 to a 6, from different outlets with varying metrics, is enough to spawn such ridiculousness

Another Hot Reviews Tip:

If you can replace the name of the game with a minority group and it would sound bad to other people, then it proves that you're racist against that game.

For example:

Jeff Gerstmann said:
There's a word for games like The Order: 1886. Rental.

Sounds fine, doesn't it? Well, just change a word and suddenly the true colors of mainstream reviewers are shown:

Jeff Gerstmann said:
There's a word for games like African Americans. Rental.

Nice job, Gerstmann. Nice job advocating slavery.

Miyukipedia

Neo Member
I'm picking it up tomorrow.

If it sucks, I'll trade it back and only will have spent $30 to play it. I don't think it will be as bad as feared.

In fact, games have gotten too open ended and I rarely complete them - I'm craving a tight, concise game with an intriguing narrative - so I'm actually excited

Looking at the majority of the reviews, it seems like you are craving a game with loose combat, repetitive gameplay and probably one of the most cliche stories possible in a game where the story is the main focus.

But I mean if that is what you are into, get hype, I guess.

Seventy70

Another Hot Reviews Tip:

If you can replace the name of the game with a minority group and it would sound bad to other people, then it proves that you're racist against that game.

For example:

Sounds fine, doesn't it? Well, just change a word and suddenly the true colors of mainstream reviewers are shown:

Nice job, Gerstmann. Nice job advocating slavery.

I knew that bastard was a racist all along.

Proxy

I honestly cannot tell if this is satire. I really hope it is.

The game isn't even technically out yet. The "gamers" you listen to are just people with their hands over their ears trying to ignore the obvious bad impressions of the game. This is getting just sad.

There are plenty of impressions from people on GAF who have played the game.

iNvid02

it would come before that

"what would you like to order sir/madam?"

im sorry if i said something wrong, just let me know when you're ready to order

thank you sir, the total order comes to $18.86

hhmxyEt.gif

Game4life

Banned
Fair point, he isn't getting much of the flak when he is running the show.

Bloodborne is his baby though so if that is a great game then it may be a bit of a saving grace.

Bit worried I went with the wrong console at this point, MS since the shitstorm they created have been on point and Sony have just been busy counting their cash seemingly. The lack of non-stability related updates and the crash and burn of PS plus really doesn't help either.

Well to be fair MS has not released any must play game yet and have not had any title achieve universal acclaim in years. Sony was pretty much on point last gen. This gen has been terrible and no one seems to be accountable though. Anyways I think you always have the option of selling the console and picking xbox if that is what you think will float your boat. I am thoroughly disappointed by both of them so far :(

ISOM

"Devs need to have thick skin."

Really? Was that part of their education? They asked for nothing but to make video games. Now all of a sudden they're supposed to be punching bags, too? They aren't public personalities, they're game developers.

I think anyone who makes art or entertainment for public consumption needs to have thick skin. That's just the nature of sharing something with the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom