• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheXbox

Every series risks fatigue. But I don't see that affecting review scores for the mainline Halo, GTA, Madden, MGS, Mario, GT, or COD games.

Would be completely uncalled for in reviewers singling out the Souls games to make a statement about franchise fatigue...and ironically one happening to be a PS4 exclusive.

Quote this: if Bloodborn gets lots of low scores,...and those scores turn out to be over bullshit... there's going to be a grand inquiry on all the game review sites. Some will be sued, others will be blacklisted by Sony, others still dropped from MC and other aggregate site inclusions.
Reviewers just shot themselves in the foot

please be kidding

It's not that it's wrong to be excited and enthusiastic about a product, but if you are looking for impressions that are actually from people whose intention it is to give a game a fair critical break down it is hard to take many of the "I'm here first" impressions particularly seriously..
The irony is when people with avatars representing the game in question beg people to take their curated impressions more seriously than a reviewer that supposedly has an agenda. I don't understand why people can't at least begin to humor the fact that their emotional investment may also be a factor in introducing bias.

RE_Player

They should of made the release date for Tuesday and had the embargo lift day of release. Making this release alone on Friday was a horrible decision. Such bad word of mouth started spreading from early copies because of the dumb end of the week release date. Whatever marketing genius at Sony assigned these dates should be fired.

77 PS4, 75 XBO

Yeah but I think that game doesn't have a big number of fans, it was more hyped by press than anything else... in the end it didn't live up to their own standards I supose.

I think that games like Bloodborne, The Witcher, and Batman are more in line with people, probably because they are proven franchises though.

Lemondish

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. It happens to every single exclusive title. The first impressions are always very positive, even for games that, down the road or even right after people have gotten the game, are looked upon as mediocre by the average gamer. Those people just aren't suited for giving first impressions because they aren't looking at the titles with neutral glasses.

Uhm, they're perfectly suited for giving first impressions if the people who are reading them recognize this perspective. I'm equally as excited for this game as they were, but had not been given the chance to pick it up early. For me, these impressions are a million times more relevant to assessing the enjoyment of the title than anything else would be, including these reviews. Since I share the same level of interest in the same things as those gamers, I trust them far more than any review site. Why wouldn't I? We're more akin than any reviewer I've ever read from anywhere. Reviews have always been trash to me. The tendency toward snark, the inevitable 'as edgy as possible language', and the love of scathing criticism is all I see in reviews these days - after all, these guys are in the business of page views. I don't trust the opinion of those who are in the business of page views. I'm not sure why anybody would.

Toxi

Banned
Would be completely uncalled for in reviewers singling out the Souls games to make a statement about franchise fatigue...and ironically one happening to be a PS4 exclusive.

Quote this: if Bloodborn gets lots of low scores,...and those scores turn out to be over bullshit... there's going to be a grand inquiry on all the game review sites. Some will be sued, others will be blacklisted by Sony, others still dropped from MC and other aggregate site inclusions.
confused_lion_king.gif

Kacho

Gold Member
Can this game really deserve a 20/100?

oh and this...

"The Order delivers its third-person, cover-based shooting in brief chunks, peppering in occasional QTEs (sigh), monster fights (repetitive), stealth (UGH), and walking & talking. The closest comparison is Gears of War, but even that prototypical 2006 effort is light years ahead of 1886 when it comes to strategic nuance and in-your-face action."

"To call the pace glacial is forgiving. I frequently found myself dozing off during the four or five play sessions it took to knock through the game’s 16 chapters."

"Protip: Most of the time, it’s “shoot until dead” — and the malaise seeps back in."

"So now I’m sitting at my desk with an empty carton of deceased leftovers next to me and a document full of words staring out from the computer monitor… and I’m still not sure what to say. The Order: 1886 is a terrible game."

Sure it can. This reviewer scored the game with the arbitrary number he thought was appropriate based on his time with the game. The reviewer clearly did not enjoy the game and that's OK.

The problem isn't the length - a rollicking, fun, creative, and challenging 6 hours of third person shooting can get good scores and be enjoyed by people.

People still praise and replay the Max Payne games and im pretty sure those are barely 6 hours. But that's because Max Payne did something new and did it well.

You can also point to legions of samey third person shooters that ran 6 hours or longer and nobody remembers or wants to replay.

thegetaway_ps2box_usa_org_000boxart_160w.jpg

Look at a game like The Getaway from the PS2 era. A very impressive technical game that basically tripped all over itself in every other way that involved playing the game. Nobody makes LTTP threads about the Getaway or gushes about it with rose tinted glasses, because it was a mediocre game. And that makes it forgettable, just like The Order will be.

Or games like Cold Fear that nobody remembers because it was a fairly generic shooter released in the mid 2000s.

People saying this game is being crucified for not doing anything new are missing the point. Even if it does what it does reasonably well the game is forgettable.

schaft0620

I'd say a 20/100 is about as off the mark as the 9.5/10 it received from Gamepur. You're always going to have reviews that skew well off the mean.

True

Sure it can. This reviewer scored the game with the arbitrary number he thought was appropriate based on his time with the game. The reviewer clearly did not enjoy the game and that's OK.

You were asking me why I didn't like the review, and that's ok.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GAF would be no good if it weren't for that.

What else would we laugh at?

We get the laughs. Then, as it goes on...it becomes something else. Something sad. =P

I would like to comment on one thing. The "Think of the developers!" mindset. That's nice and all but I believe they are big boys and girls. They can take care of themselves. You take the good with the bad in this industry and their game did not review well. Hell, they probably knew this. If you're a creator, you know if you make something that will be divisive. You take both the punches and the pats on the back.

I'm sorry but I just can't jive with that mindset. Be respectful to the person, but as a group... I don't think they were sitting around a table having a huge debate about "Think about the gaer. Their money. Their families. Their hard earned money."

The way the industry acts, very few of them actually do.

Despera

Banned
You named 3 games across a wide range of time. It's not the rule but the exception. So maybe you think this will be a cult classic, but I'd wager not.
That's rich.

From the preview vids I always thought The Order looked mediocre gameplay-wise. Other than the visuals the game seemed to do nothing of interest to me. I even jokingly wrote this in one thread.

If you look at my post from a different angle you'll understand that I was talking about giving metascores too much credit in general. And that every game should be researched in some form before deciding on whether to buy it or not. The Order is no exception.

Burn this website to the ground.

lol

Stop reminding me that I have to replay it!
They should of made the release date for Tuesday and had the embargo lift day of release. Making this release alone on Friday was a horrible decision. Such bad word of mouth started spreading from early copies because of the dumb end of the week release date. Whatever marketing genius at Sony assigned these dates should be fired.

Copies get shipped out and make it when they make it. Stuff came out before this week, so it wouldn't have changed a thing.

Miyukipedia

Neo Member
Uhm, they're perfectly suited for giving first impressions if the people who are reading them recognize this perspective. I'm equally as excited for this game as they were, but had not been given the chance to pick it up early. For me, these impressions are a million times more relevant to assessing the enjoyment of the title than anything else would be, including these reviews. Since I share the same level of interest in the same things as those gamers, I trust them far more than any review site. Why wouldn't I? We're more akin than any reviewer I've ever read from anywhere. Reviews have always been trash to me. The tendency toward snark, the inevitable 'as edgy as possible language', and the love of scathing criticism is all I see in reviews these days - after all, these guys are in the business of page views. I don't trust the opinion of those who are in the business of page views. I'm not sure why anybody would.

In other words: I only agree with reviews when they reaffirm my hype for the game and ignore anything else that questions that.

wolfhowwl

Banned

Oh I'm quoting it alright. LOL!

schaft0620

That's rich.

From the preview vids I always thought The Order looked mediocre gameplay-wise. Other than the visuals the game seemed to do nothing of interest to me. I even jokingly wrote this in one thread.

If you look at my post from a different angle you'll understand that I was talking about giving metascores too much credit in general. And that every game should be researched in some form before deciding on whether to buy it or not. The Order is no exception.

Not that it really matters here but, some of the bonuses the devs get paid are based on scores.

If a game is bad then it deserves a bad score, but look at this:

Just as a few examples, this review is unprofessional, meandering, and as a whole just poorly written. His criticisms - when he's not just repeating himself - are perfectly valid and from what I hear totally correct, but when two paragraphs are spent talking about Chinese food then excuse me for not taking it seriously. It is a bad review more concerned with being scathing and oh-so-witty that he clearly isn't interested in giving the game its fair dues.

The reviewer was just adding some levity to a harsh review. Not only did he not have any fun with it, he actively hated it, and felt the game has no merit to it outside of the presentation. Fairness goes out the window if you're trying to stay awake when playing.

Amir0x

Banned
Ugh I vividly remember one thread with early impressions of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 that sold me on that game.

Never. Again.

Oh damn dude, sorry you had to go down that road. The first Lords of Shadow wasn't my flavor either and I purchased it despite my reservations due to GAF. That was my fault though, at the time I didn't have my list well organized so just sort of went with it :p

What is this list so many people are talking about?

I make a list of GAFers whose impressions I can consistently trust because they are coming from a place of a genuine desire to critique something fairly.

To do this, I voice a detailed opinion about a game, and then wait and see if someone responds with a similarly detailed analysis about why they disagree with my position.

If someone's argument about why I am wrong is compelling and well articulated and I can respect their argument, that person makes my list. It plays to my theory that the mark of a good critic is not how often you agree with them, but in how well you can respect the merit of their arguments even when you disagree.

I don't think I am either, but that's only because I just voted for him in the Mafia thread.

Come at me, Ami.

Haha, I have no ill will toward Mafia votes. I told you guys I gotta laugh because I'm Ordinary Tourist :p

Guys, I'm beginning to think I'm not on Ami's GAFer trust list...

7rrdX3N.gif

Haha, many people are not on my list simply because they have not actually responded to a view I had (or shared) with a well articulated counter argument. I don't just add people I like on the list, they have to show a case history of well supported arguments that despite me disagreeing with them is well worthy of respect due to how well articulated their positions are.

If you don't trust anyone in the businesses of page views you could have just said I don't trust anyone's opinion on the internet.

Tainted

People will have forgotten about this game once Bloodborne releases next month. I think this whole saga paints a more accurate picture about nextgen gaming than the quality of the games....there just isnt alot to play and its taken this long for 2015's real big release.

Despera

Banned
In other words: I only agree with reviews when they reaffirm my hype for the game and ignore anything else that questions that.
Why are you ignoring this part of his post?

Since I share the same level of interest in the same things as those gamers, I trust them far more than any review site. Why wouldn't I? We're more akin than any reviewer I've ever read from anywhere.
Lemondish is interested in what like-minded individuals think of a particular game. Like-minded people who, time and time again, shared his opinion of titles that already came out. Seems like a reasonable and unbiased attitude to me.

Not that it really matters here but, some of the bonuses the devs get paid are based on scores.
And that's a different, yet equally sad, problem.

Yeah but I think that game doesn't have a big number of fans, it was more hyped by press than anything else... in the end it didn't live up to their own standards I supose.

I think that games like Bloodborne, The Witcher, and Batman are more in line with people, probably because they are proven franchises though.
Which is probably why it's as high as it is; actual players have been beating it for the DLC and rightfully so.

I just don't want reviewers to take a piss on Bloodborn for no good reason; that's the one of the three easiest for them to do it on.

What in the hell are you talking about?
Something that should've been happening years ago. These guys can't slander a game that doesn't deserve it without paying the price.

Anyhow I've said my piece for the night; Order got picked apart like a carcass and it may have deserved it. But Bloodborn is looking like a healthy buck; vultures don't go after healthy bucks.

So if Bloodborn comes out like a dead carcass once the reviews are done it's going to look like one of those vultures surprised it with a bad meal and gunshots to both legs before it went out for its time in the desert (as all games do).

Amir0x

Banned
People will have forgotten about this game once Bloodborne releases next month. I think this whole saga paints a more accurate picture about nextgen gaming than the quality of the games....there just isnt alot to play and its taken this long for 2015's real big release.

If Bloodborne disappoints, PS4 must commit seppuku. We've all agreed to it, no take backs.

Kacho

Gold Member
True

You were asking me why I didn't like the review, and that's ok.

Well, I was actually responding to your question about whether or not I thought the game could score a 20/100. You still haven't explained why exactly you thought the review was poorly written. But it's quite clear that you didn't like the review simply because of the low score and not because you thought the review was poorly written.

Toxi

Banned
It's a good thing for customers that they didn't, because fuck release date embargoes.

Are people really asking for review embargo and attacking review sites in justice because of The Order ?

Holy Shit.
I think RE_Player was using "should" from Sony's perspective and not a customer perspective.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Not gonna lie but a 5-7 hour game with no multilayer or replayability deserves sub 50 scores.

If this game were priced at $29.99 I think it would have reviewed better.

$60 for 5 hours is terrible. A $60 single player game with no multilayer should at the very least be 12, quality, hours long.

If you can't get that out of your game then there is something terribly wrong with your design or how you budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom