• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aly

Which is probably why it's as high as it is; actual players have been beating it for the DLC and rightfully so.

I just don't want reviewers to take a piss on Bloodborn for no good reason; that's the one of the three easiest for them to do it on.

Something that should've been happening years ago. These guys can't slander a game that doesn't deserve it without paying the price.

Anyhow I've said my piece for the night; Order got picked apart like a carcass and it may have deserved it. But Bloodborn is looking like a healthy buck; vultures don't go after healthy bucks.

So if Bloodborn comes out like a dead carcass once the reviews are done it's going to look like one of those vultures surprised it with a bad meal and gunshots to both legs before it went out for its time in the desert (as all games do).

I don't know. We don't know the final quality of the game, but most journalists seem very positive and excited in the previews of Bloodborne ( I can't think of too many positive The Order previews). I mean there could be worries about franchise fatigue, but I think the new setting and different weapons will really help that. I really doubt they'll piss on it unless the reviewer just doesn't like the Souls games in general.

BLunted

Banned
Ugh I vividly remember one thread with early impressions of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 that sold me on that game.

Never. Again.

Yeah, I been burned a couple times listening to the GAF hive mind, but luckily they were cheap games, so no harm was really done.

I wish I was a Souls fan so that I could be excited about Bloodborne. It looks cool and I like the art style, but I assume it'll be freakishly difficult and overly Japanese.

Yeah, I been burned a couple times listening to the GAF hive mind, but luckily they were cheap games, so no harm was really done.

Man, Lords of Shadow 2 sucked. I only played it because I beat the first one and could 'rent' the new one for a week and then return it to get my money back.

The first one was quite shitty for a while, too, and took a long time to get interesting. They made levels out of nothing, and the second chapter was just full of shitty stages that made me question their intentions. It seemed like they threw everything but the kitchen sink in to make length a selling point.

I hope that series won't return.

Miyukipedia

Neo Member
Lemondish is interested in what like-minded individuals think of a particular game. Like-minded people who, time and time again, shared his opinion of titles that already came out. Seems like a reasonable and unbiased attitude to me.

His response was based on a wider discussion.

The problem I have with many of those impressions (and why many of these posters don't make the neoGAF list) is because these are frequently people who were overburdened with endless anticipation for the game, and then they go out of their way to finally get their hands on it and rush impressions to GAF and what a surprise to bulk of them are excessively positive 8-9/10 scores.

Check how often that has happened in GAF's history, even in games which have largely been received now as mediocre or bad products. It happens all the time. Post-purchase rationalization makes navigating these impressions inherently problematic.

It's not that it's wrong to be excited and enthusiastic about a product, but if you are looking for impressions that are actually from people whose intention it is to give a game a fair critical break down it is hard to take many of the "I'm here first" impressions particularly seriously.

I agree with them and also would like to reiterate that people who rush to post reviews are generally biased only really say good things about the game because of hype/anticipation they themselves possess.

So yeah, only listening to "like-minded individuals" may not be the most unbiased way to view things. If anything, it is probably the most biased thing you can do.

shandy706

Which is probably why it's as high as it is; actual players have been beating it for the DLC and rightfully so.

I just don't want reviewers to take a piss on Bloodborn for no good reason; that's the one of the three easiest for them to do it on.

Something that should've been happening years ago. These guys can't slander a game that doesn't deserve it without paying the price.

Anyhow I've said my piece for the night; Order got picked apart like a carcass and it may have deserved it. But Bloodborn is looking like a healthy buck; vultures don't go after healthy bucks.

So if Bloodborn comes out like a dead carcass once the reviews are done it's going to look like one of those vultures surprised it with a bad meal and gunshots to both legs before it went out for its time in the desert (as all games do).

Eh, reviews are opinions.

Early looks at Bloodborne (the setting mostly) had me slightly interested.

Extended gameplay made me completely lose interest.

The massive boss enemies still look cool though.

schaft0620

Well, I was actually responding to your question about whether or not I thought the game could score a 20/100. You still haven't explained why exactly you thought the review was poorly written. But it's quite clear that you didn't like the review simply because of the low score and not because you thought the review was poorly written.

The reviewer can not like the game and "that's OK", however if I don't like the review (and I showed you why other than the score and other users on here did as well). It needs to be explained to you in a way that is satisfactory to your liking.

aly

I wish I was a Souls fan so that I could be excited about Bloodborne. It looks cool and I like the art style, but I assume it'll be freakishly difficult and overly Japanese.

What is overly Japanese? My mind goes to anime tropes when people say that, but those aren't in the Souls games.

The reviewer can not like the game and "that's OK", however if I don't like the review (and I showed you why other than the score and other users on here did as well). It needs to be explained to you in a way that is satisfactory to your liking.

The review explained itself quite well, you seem completely inept at it however.

Coolade

I can't speak on the difficulty of the entire game, I personally disliked demon souls, dark souls, and dark souls 2. When I went and played bloodborne at the playstation experience in vegas it was amazing, and I couldn't recommend it more based on my brief play time. Lots of fun.

Armaros

His response was based on a wider discussion.

I agree with them and also would like to reiterate that people who rush to post reviews are generally biased only really say good things about the game because of hype/anticipation they themselves possess.

So yeah, only listening to "like-minded individuals" may not be the most unbiased way to view things. If anything, it is probably the most biased thing you can do.

It is amazing to see posters on GAF complain about Reviewers not taking enough time to play through a game for review, and then take peoples first impression review threads as anything better.

What is overly Japanese? My mind goes to anime tropes when people say that, but those aren't in the Souls games.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing, because I respect Japanese people and their culture, not to mention their games. However, some things are a bit too out there for me, and sometimes game design feels that way.

Souls' visuals, difficulty, text and game design was like that for me. Maybe I used a bad term, though, and apologize if so.

I use the same term to describe odd/quirky games and mech games. Anime as well.

I can't speak on the difficulty of the entire game, I personally disliked demon souls, dark souls, and dark souls 2. When I went and played bloodborne at the playstation experience in vegas it was amazing, and I couldn't recommend it more based on my brief play time. Lots of fun.

How when it plays exactly like those games?

ckE30m2.gif

The Mustache is what makes this GIF godlike.

Despera

Banned
By "overly Japanese" do you mean a gameplay-first design philosophy where almost all development efforts go into making the game fun to play?

Then your assumption is most probably well founded.

Kacho

Gold Member

tumblr_m5kbumtPpi1r777xho1_500.gif

Randomly quoting parts of the review with no explanation isn't telling me anything. But rest assured, I understand why you did't like the review.

Peterthumpa

Sony needs to get their shit together, so much flopped AAA exclusives...
Yep, that's a junior comment. So Infamous Second Son flopped? Driveclub too? KZ Shadowfall?

Define a flop, dear friend. Those games sold millions, a bunch of scores here and there do not represent their commercial performance, which, in the end, is what really matters.

Besides, Infamous and Driveclub are really good, in particular.

Honestly I do see why the reviewers gave it those scores. They are trying to look out for people who are trying to save money. Everybody has different opinions. Myself, I love all video games. Only game I havent been happy with purchasing last year was Sniper 3, and I pretty much purchased everything from AC:U to Destiny. If it came out last year, me and my brother most likely own it. I see the good in every video game (except for brink, ugh i was so excited for that piece of crap) and I see alot of good in The Order. My only complaint is the length, I do wish it was a little longer but the fact that it can take me about 10 hours on hard with no auto aim? Thats decent for me.

I knew the game wasnt going to try and do anything above and beyond besides for graphics. I mean cmon...clearly they were going for the graphics/cinematic type of game here more than focusing on gameplay. Im pretty sure we ALL knew this. We have been seeing the gameplay for a while now, it just seems like all reviewers are upset because the game didnt do anything above and beyond gameplay wise. I personally cannot wait for 12am tonight to play this. I know exactly what I am getting into. I know the exact type of game this is going to be. I know what to expect and what not to expect. Ive read user reviews and website/company reviewers...and most of the time I always side with the user, and this time I will. It seems like most users enjoy it, but the game has some flaws. As long as it looks incredible, plays incredible, and allows me to shoot people in the face? Than this game is going to be absolutely freaking fantastic.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will rent it.

By "overly Japanese" do you mean a gameplay-first design philosophy where almost all development efforts go into making the game fun to play?

Then your assumption is most probably well founded.

Not in my opinion, no, but to each their own.

Toxi

Banned
I didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing, because I respect Japanese people and their culture, not to mention their games. However, some things are a bit too out there for me, and sometimes game design feels that way.

Souls' visuals, difficulty, text and game design was like that for me. Maybe I used a bad term, though, and apologize if so.

I use the same term to describe odd/quirky games and mech games. Anime as well.
It's not bad at all, it's just kinda funny because the Souls series (And other From Software fantasy RPGs) are very influenced by mechanics and aesthetics from western fantasy novels and action RPGs. Many people don't even realize they're Japanese when they first try them out.

(Though the Souls series has some major Japanese influences too like Berserk)

Amir0x

Banned
I would agree here, but how are we supposed to play The Last guardian when it comes out if that were to happen?

On PS3 of course!

I think Uncharted will be always the last life. Either way, Bloodborne will be ok, nothing to worry about there.

I think it will be good. The demo of Bloodborne was very good, mechanically it is impressively sound. Unless they change things between demo and release, I better hear no reviews talking about how weak the mechanics are. Weaksauce gamers better know their shit ;P

But like anything, I intend to give the game a damn harsh critical shake when I play it. If it makes it through the meat grinder in tact, all the better. But I am not assuming anything, who knows the potential pitfalls. Will the level design be compelling? Will there be enough content? Will bosses test your skills appropriately without feeling cheap? Are there plenty of secrets? How far does strategy take you when the different weapon types from heavy to light?

Right, naturally They get into a mode, they really are excited and so they want to share with GAF that the negativity wasn't really warranted because see they're playing it and of course GAME JOURNALISTS are so dumb look how good it really is!

I don't think there's anything sinister to it, but the problem is post-purchase rationalization is a real phenomenon that is incredibly common and so it is difficult to navigate such early impressions with anything but skepticism. In other words, it's hard to know who would have genuinely had those impressions and who would have been more critical had the circumstances been different (i.e. they just stumbled upon the product, they waited six months post launch before playing, they were curious about the game but not overburdened with hype, they didn't get the game early and thus no rush to show GAF how wrong industry was, etc).

Coolade

How when it plays exactly like those games?

Say what now? If it plays exactly like those game's it'd be news to me. The fact that you have to attack your enemy to regain health after being hit makes the pace much more aggressive. Changed the entire tone and feel of going through a level. And when I was at PSX, I didn't see the option to block. Its all go for gusto run and gun attack mode and careful movement.

Say what now? If it plays exactly like those game's it'd be news to me. The fact that you have to attack your enemy to regain health after being hit makes the pace much more aggressive. Changed the entire tone and feel of going through a level. And when I was at PSX, I didn't see the option to block. Its all go for gusto run and gun attack mode and careful movement.

Oh I see.

Check post history bruh.

They couldn't have known if they lifted the embargo a day before the game came out. They've just lost hundreds of thousands of sales over today, who would do that to themselves?

Also I was talking about Bloodborn, not Order.

They don't need to wait for embargo to know how their game will be recieved.

Publishers know exactly what their game will be like when it gets out there. Weeks before release they hire outside consulting firms with former game reviewers to do a mock review of the game. These guys are no longer actively reviewing. Think Adam Sessler. They do a full write up and send it in. This gives the publisher an early look at how the critics will receive the game. This combined with the fact that they have been in this industry for years and know the games better than everyone gives them additional insight into how it will be recieved.

The fact that you think that they don't know they have s stinker combined with your limited concept of slander doesn't give me the impression that you are in any position to understand how this stuff works.

I wouldn't be suprised to find out that Sony pushed the release date back based on their own internal reactions to the game. They asked RAD to re do some things which they could only do so much under their structure.

Amir0x

Banned

What made Bloodborne so special that wasn't in Demon or Dark Souls? Now these are the types of impressions I'm especially interested in.

I mean Bloodborne has a unique approach to its combat, its more based on evasion and active engagement (no blocking but dodging, always keep moving, heavy to light weaponry), but the fundamentals are in place and very similar to Dark/Demon Souls: extreme challenge, easy to die if you're not patient and careful, lots of boss focus, traps and secrets everywhere.

So what made Bloodborne do it for you? It's exciting to see it might attract people who weren't fans of Demon/Dark Souls.

Could you be referring to aesthethics, style, silly stories and dialogues? Because the Souls series is not on that ground, is more obscure bizarre stuff and is not really that hard you just have to pay attention and commit yourself to the game.

It's not bad at all, it's just kinda funny because the Souls series (And other From Software fantasy RPGs) are very influenced by mechanics and aesthetics from western fantasy novels and action RPGs. Many people don't even realize they're Japanese when they first try them out.

Could you be referring to aesthethics, style, silly stories and dialogues? Because the Souls series is not on that ground, is more obscure bizarre stuff and is not really that hard you just have to pay attention and commit yourself to the game.

I guess I'm wrong then. That's okay.

Gojeran

Thank you Gaf this thread has been nonstop entertainment the entire day and contains awesome gifs and videos! I've been laughing my ass off. Love it love it.

On topic I'd say that it sucks to be one of the many hard working people who work at RAD today. Nobody likes being told their game is garbage but having not played the game myself I can say that in general I've no interest in a game that puts game play last in its list of priorities. Give me a world, give me a set of rules, let me explore, let me play, if you did your job well I'll find my fun. In the case of game such as metroid prime or demon souls if the world is good enough I'll take the time to find the story for myself without it being force fed to me via nonstop unskippable cutscenes. I wish nobody at RAD ill will, they made some amazing PSP titles, I wish them well in their next title and hope they learn the correct lessons from this "game".

bonercop

man of all the games in the world to get so upset about, i don't understand why this one has triggered so much angst. not that it seems like a total pos or whatever, but it just strikes me as an incredibly by-the-numbers product. kind of okay looking shooting, with kind of okay looking level design and kind of okay looking art direction...I guess the graphics are pretty impressive?

I've only played the first God of War PSP game, plus The Order. RAD did a great job with the first one on that list, but the second one didn't do it for me.

I feel bad for them, though, because they put a lot of work into creating a beautiful game which is obvious.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It would be nice for RAD to have a chance at a sequel and fix everything that's wrong with The Order, but after these reviews, if it bombs in sales it likely won't get a sequel. Look at how improved Ghost of Sparta was vs. Chains of Olympus (God of War series they worked on)

Is anyone still picking this up tomorrow?

Floridian

It would be nice for RAD to have a chance at a sequel and fix everything that's wrong with The Order, but after these reviews, if it bombs in sales it likely won't get a sequel. Look at how improved Ghost of Sparta was vs. Chains of Olympus (God of War series they worked on)

Is anyone still picking this up tomorrow?

ku79ylev

Speevy

Banned

The Souls series is probably the least Japanese thing ever to come out of Japan.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
man of all the games in the world to get so upset about, i don't understand why this one has triggered so much angst. not that it seems like a total pos or whatever, but it just strikes me as an incredibly by-the-numbers product. kind of okay looking shooting, with kind of okay looking level design and kind of okay looking art direction...I guess the graphics are pretty impressive?

It sounds like "by the numbers" is probably not an apt description. It just sounds like they prioritized atypical things.

I have a feeling it will be very love/hate among the community. At the same time it sounds like something I would like to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom