• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Trending:
The Order
Ryse

Sony
#IfThe80sNeverStopped
Happy Chinese New Year
Oliver Sacks
#5YearsOfBabyMusicVideo
#CVESummit
Vanilla Ice

uhhh what?

Also guys, you're doing it wrong. Don't let reviewers tell you if you'll love/enjoy a game or not. Just take it at face value and evaluate the reviews as a means for determining the games value ($), nothing else. Could still be a great game even if its not worth $60.

longdi

Banned
I be fair and say that making it SP only is a bad mistake.

It is supposed to be a big budget release, no big budget release these days go without a MP (re-playability) mode, at least not $60 ones.

prag16

Banned
Not surprised to see the somewhat tepid reception considering what I've seen and read about this game. Regardless, for me this changes nothing. The plan was likely always to pick this up at deep discount when I finally get a PS4 in late 2016 or so. The one game that I think may make it hard for me to wait that long is Uncharted 4.

Meh ill probably rent it due to length and ease of Platinum. But i have gut feeling the game is getting shit on for weak reasons but ill wait till i play it for final judgment.

Nesther

I don't understand why people are afraid of BB disappointing.

You really can't compare the situations, one is part of a tried and true franchise, made by two very experienced studios, while the other is a new IP made by a studio that's never done their own home console game before.

curb

Banned
I put in about three hours last night and I'm really enjoying it. I get why the reviews came down the way they did though. I like narrative driven games but I've been playing a lot of open-ended stuff lately so a highly directed, linear experience is a really nice palate cleanser for me. That being said, I got the game 30% off so that's much easier on the value proposition. I totally understand people not wanting to pay full price.

XGoldenboyX

Just Like Thief.... Great games with complaints... Still getting it and I hope this game sell butt loads , just to give the Dev a thumbs up for MAKING SOMETHING NEW

And not fallow the damn patern of HERE COMES ANOTHER SEQUEL...pffft !

Mr.Sumal

It is a hard knock life being an internet celebrity. Thank God no one knows who I am.

dfp9kuak.gif

lmao I'll show myself out

ACE 1991

I'll never understand the weight people give game reviews. Watch Dogs was considered one of the biggest disappointments, I couldn't get into more than a couple of hours of it and yet it has an 80 on Metacritic. Kingsman is considered by many that have seen it to be an awesome movie one of the best action flicks they have seen in some time, yet it has a 59 on metacritic. So why the importance on game reviews? You can just as easily be misguided as guided when it comes to them. Also if are going to say game reviews are not using the full scale like other industries, then I say that has changed the past few years.

That is to say just like I am going to see the Kingsman today unaffected by its reviews, so too I am going to get The Order tomorrow. Two Galahads in one week!

Games are generally a way bigger time and money investment than movies, so people seem to pay more way attention to them. I'm not saying this is the correct way to take in reviews, but this is probably the reason.

You forgot MCC

XB1

Forza Horizon 2 86
Halo MCC 85
Sunset Overdrive 81
Forza Motorsport 5 79
Dead Rising 3 78
Ryse: Son of Rome 61
Kinect Sports Rivals 60
Titanfall 86
Project Spark 73
Killer Instinct 73

Average 76

We don't count remasters and if we did TLOU is at 95 and we know damn well MCC got no place being 85. And if we throw TLOU onto the PS4 list the averages turn into 75 v 76 so they are still the same

asmudge

Banned
Sounds like someone played max payne 3 and went ''lel love the game but it could do with less quality gunplay even more game braking cinamtic horseshit and ill add QTEs just for the laughs''

And then some halfwit went ''sounds like a great 8 digit budget project we will finance it huehuehue''

Overall i was more happy 8 years ago with the 600€ brick then i am with this 400€ one. At least the old brick had motorstorm that presented some sort of next gen gameplay leap.

will buy unity instead

EGM1966

Sounds like this game really should have released earlier (presumably delays were focused on tech).

Still going to give it a go as I like linear SP adventures but sounds like RAD may not have got the right balance between their narrative aspirations and gameplay needs.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Andrea Pessino is not pleased. This is going to end very bed..

Dying Light's metacritic isn't great, either, and for my money that's easily one of the best games out right now.

I don't even fucking understand this shit anymore.

You know what is funny about that? I avoided reviews of Dying Light (not my cup of tea, Open World,First Person, Zombies, are all low on my interests), however, going by podcasts and what I was hearing here and from co-workers I always assumed that game was probably mid 80's in reviews, and was shocked to see it at mid to low 70's instead. From what I was hearing it supposed to be the realization of what Dead Island should have been and ended up with nearly the same scores...

tomhan

I don't think review scores will keep the Order from selling millions.
Marketing is there and graphics will sell the game.

I wasn't expecting it to be a very good game at all, tbh, but i hadn't imagined it would get such low scores either.

I sure do hope it does sell well enough to keep ROD going. They are the type of developer that seems to be having trouble making it in now. Closing them down wouldn't be good news for anyone. I just hope they didn't have any performance incentives tied to metacritic for this game.

Tom Penny

Not surprised at all. If the core gameplay is a 3rd person cover shooter and others have done those mechanics way better a shiny coat of paint isn't going to help you.

Im not too surprised at the reception of the game given the negative previews I was reading about. I wont be there day one because I can wait but I will give this game a try in the future, likely at some low price. Those top metacritic games though really make me think I upgraded to next gen too soon. I enjoy the graphics boast but I am still playing ps3/360 games.

vanx0

Lucky me I have a N3DS and a Vita... don't get me wrong, I will probably buy this game in the upcoming weeks because it sounds right to me... but man! I haven't seen a proper exclusive on any console YTD (hopefully Bloodborne will blow my mind).

Still excited to finally play it tomorrow, but I've been expecting it to be simply okay for a good while. Really the complaints about QTE's are the only thing that make me think I might not like it as much as I was hoping. If I never saw a QTE again, I'd be happy.

nampad

What a slaughterhouse but I expected it. The game design suddenly doesn't fit today's critical taste anymore. I am still confident it will fit mine well though.

Oppo

No, the terminology started with A for games above 70, AA for games above 80, AAA for games above 90. Perhaps it is too much to ask modern gamers to remember the early 2000s.

the hell are you talking about. I was born in 1974. there was never any such "terminology".

the whole AAA thing only came about in the last gen as a common term.

Tagyhag

That's a shame. I'm sure the reviews would be a lot better if they didn't charge 60 bucks for this.

Oh well, a buddy worked on the tech and at least I can safely say his department outdid themselves.

jpbonadio

Banned
I don't give a shit about what those stupid game "journalists" says. The games I'm most enjoying these gen had bad scores. "Journalists" know shit about games and most of them have an agenda.

So, I can't wait to play The Order 1886.

jem0208

Are Reviewers starting to get a little to harsh on NEW IP`s ?

This is getting rediculous... can you simply enjoy a story driven games without bitching about this and that...

Jeez ! Still buying it !
Well, reviews are about critiquing something. They wouldn't be very good if they just let all the faults oasis because it's a new ip.

They're not just bitching for the hell of it, there are genuine issues with the game.

QaaQer

I could forgive The Order for going for the cinematic experience (whatever that means) and make gameplay a secondary element ((as long as it's decent enough), but if you go for that route make damn sure there's a nice story to tell and the script is tight.

What I get from all the reviews, though, is that The Order seems to have a bad story and a poorly told one. That's too much.

My thoughts as well. They really needed to nail that instead of trying to create a franchise out of the gate. I'll wait till I can pick it up for $10 like knack.

On the upside, Wolfenstein is like $20 on psn right now.

Nzyme32

Half Life 2 was great, but it isn't some unassailable masterpiece. As for the lack of cutscenes, well, that actually reminds me of a conversation I saw on Twitter the other day.

https://twitter.com/antitrop/status/568140247206215681

That doesn't really change anything. Scripting vs cutscenes are entirely different things. Pretty much every game of its type has some form of unbreakable scripting, but it remains more free and open than a cutscene. My favourite comparison of this is going from CODEC moments in MGS, to just in game chat in MGSV GZ. Massive improvement from that alone for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom