• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
ckE30m2.gif

What other high budget movie games have they funded?

God of War, Uncharted and Last of Us are all very cinematically driven games in a lot of ways, but those all have fun core gameplay. I sort of would like to see Sony mix it up a bit more on the 1st party side and maybe they are. Bloodborne is next month and not really like anything else Sony has put out recently, and the 1st party stuff they've highlighted recently (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Rime, The Wild) seem to not be in the same mold we've seen from them.

Now WHO didn't see this coming? It became very clear this was going to suck since they started talking about the "gameplay", especially after this interview that has mind boggling quotes like:

"we’re still restricted to the archaic nature of the video game with its need for gameplay"

and this gem:

"we’re not going to fall for the trap of trying to create interesting mechanics when we could be spending that time focusing on the character animations."

Not to mention that every demo/trailer that they showed was always bad, but people were always trying finding excuses saying that the next one would be better (lol), or that it was a really old demo (after the mild reaction from the press in that preview event that they held)

True unfortunately

Bond007

It's funny how no one can tell or even give examples of next gen gameplay but games are docked points for being last gen.

So stupid, are we supossed to expect current games to reinvent gaming conventions every year? Can't open world, corridor racers, linear games, cinematic games, etc. coexist? It seems as of some reviewers get caught up in the flavor of the month trends and condemn games that don't follow those trends.

Not only in this particular case mind you.

Amen
Seems everything has to be the same these days.....

Alienous

Now WHO didn't see this coming? It became very clear this was going to suck since they started talking about the "gameplay", especially after this interview that has mind boggling quotes like:

"we’re still restricted to the archaic nature of the video game with its need for gameplay"

and this gem:

"we’re not going to fall for the trap of trying to create interesting mechanics when we could be spending that time focusing on the character animations."

Not to mention that every demo/trailer that they showed was always bad, but people were always trying finding excuses saying that the next one would be better (lol), or that it was a really old demo (after the mild reaction from the press in that preview event that they held)

I had no idea they were that off target. Holy shit.

EDIT:
Oh, you got me caught up in your foolishness. You're not aware of that website?

I think 1/5 is honestly a disservice to the amount of work some people put in to make this game. Even if its a "cinematic experience" it still has gameplay. If this game is a 1/5 then can someone tell me what's a 2/5 game, or a 3/5 game? Not defending the game or the people who make it. I just think its good to discuss in a clear deliberative way.

"first impressions thread" tells another story about this game...Which one is correct ? :D

impressions from fellow gaffers is the only unbiased way

we live in a world were games like the MCC and AC Unity get rewarded critically despite being sloppy, half hearted mediocre efforts.

meanwhile the order 1886, despite being a polished, bug free product gets dragged through the mud.

It's really sad that this game is probably not so good because so many reviewers can't be wrong because I really like the art style of this game! But it proves that I am right, great gameplay and fun in a game is more important than awesome graphics.

Edit: I wrote that because in todays times gamers judge a game by the graphics in the first place, but they don't understand that awesome graphics does not mean that it will be also an awesome overall game!

MBR

Banned
Are people honestly shocked at these review scores? We've known it was an overly cinematic game since E3 last year. Every preview pointed it out.
Yet people have time and time again tried to say that it isn't. "There is more to it", "we've only seen cutscenes so far", "of course it's short if you just run through it", etc.
It'd probably be fun to see a crow-eating thread about this.

Amir0x

Banned
From my point of view, the system has delivered in spades, as I have had a plenty of fun with the exclusive titles of all sizes. Currently counting seven of them, and eight multiplatforms in my library. It's all down to a matter of taste in games.

Because of my extensive play of indies on PC, the PS4 hasn't been especially useful to me yet I'll be honest. Driveclub was its most spectacular exclusive, and I love it and it's one of my favorite racers of the last decade. And it's in a rare, simcade, no-bullshit racing style too, so it's a special treat for me. LittleBigPlanet 3 is fun, albeit that's PS3 as well.

PS4 has so many great indies and I hope they keep coming, but for me personally since it shares a lot of space with PC I'm hoping for the next wave of exclusives to really finally do it for me. Bloodborne looks beyond phenomenal, couldn't take it if that disappointed. I played the demo and the mechanics are definitely refined and awesome, so I can't imagine it'd be bad. But you never know, next-gen development is hard work!

and this gem:

p4rgaming is a parody site.

Deku Tree

Lol almost feel bad for the devs, all the stuff about bullying and what not only for the mob to be "proven right" with these reviews.

Why does that make you feel bad for RAD? They should have kept quiet. They must have done mock reviews and known to some extent what was going to happen....

MattyG

Banned

and this gem:

Not to mention that every demo/trailer that they showed was always bad, but people were always finding excuses saying that the next one would be better (lol), or that it was a really old demo (after the mild reaction from the press in that preview event that they held)
Can we stop parroting fake interviews from satire/parody sites? That's be great, thanks.

MormaPope

Banned
impressions from fellow gaffers is the only unbiased way

we live in a world were games like the MCC and AC Unity get rewarded critically despite being sloppy, half hearted mediocre efforts.

meanwhile the order 1886, despite being a polished, bug free product gets dragged through the mud

Because when something actually works when you buy it, doesn't mean that product deserves an automatic gold star for fucks sake. Games that work can be incredibly flawed, this has been the case for around 40 years.

God of War, Uncharted and Last of Us are all very cinematically driven games in a lot of ways, but those all have fun core gameplay. I sort of would like to see Sony mix it up a bit more on the 1st party side and maybe they are. Bloodborne is next month and not really like anything else Sony has put out recently.

Until Dawn says hello

mrklaw

MrArseFace
loving Videogamer.com's video review. Anything that uses 'Olivers Army' and adds their own words is an automatic win in my book

Also listening to the non-sweary guy, he liked it. But the pacing seems to let it down - just as it is getting going, it ends. Seems like if it had another few chapters it would have really helped it.

cackhyena

and this gem:

Not to mention that every demo/trailer that they showed was always bad, but people were always finding excuses saying that the next one would be better (lol), or that it was a really old demo (after the mild reaction from the press in that preview event that they held)
What in the fuck? Why would anyone support a team that says shit like this? You're making fucking video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom