• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driveclub is 90+ on metacritic?

It wishes it were.

Now WHO didn't see this coming? It became very clear this was going to suck since they started talking about the "gameplay", especially after this interview that has mind boggling quotes like:

"we’re still restricted to the archaic nature of the video game with its need for gameplay"

and this gem:

"we’re not going to fall for the trap of trying to create interesting mechanics when we could be spending that time focusing on the character animations."

Not to mention that every demo/trailer that they showed was always bad, but people were always finding excuses saying that the next one would be better (lol), or that it was a really old demo (after the mild reaction from the press in that preview event that they held)
If RAD really said that then..... - and I feel a bit sorry to say it but - ....they deserve what's happening. You don't make a video game by not making a video game. This applies to every developer since forever. Did they not know Sony has a (somewhat bigoted it turns out) film division? They could have gone there to make a movie.

It seems this game represents the extreme of doing cinematic gaming the wrong way, and I'm glad people are letting that fact be known. There is a very solid way of telling an engaging story in a video game in a cinematic way, just look at the RE HD Remaster. In fact, other games have done it better since the '80s. RAD should embrace that legacy of gaming to make the next Order everything this game isn't.

Drencrom

What in the fuck? Why would anyone support a team that says shit like this? You're making fucking video games.

This is one example of the interviews I mentioned earlier. I always knew it wasn't the type of game I usually enjoy, but I thought at least reviewers would like it.

The reviews rightfully reflect the lack of effort towards gameplay.

That's exactly why I'm happy to see those scores. Their vision of the future of video-games just plain sucks.They should move to the movie industry where they belong.

this has to be a fake, right?

Jesus christ guys, that's a parody site and a joke interview...

http://www.p4rgaming.com/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'd mentioned The Bouncer in another thread, but weirdly enough the takeaway from most of the reviews makes The Order seem like this generation's The Bouncer.

Driveclub comparisons are off the mark too. Driveclub was reviewed poorly for not following a popular trend. But as an arcade racing game, its gameplay and quality are exemplary, some of the finest in the history of the genre. Impressions for The Order warn that the story is bland, and what interactivity exists is dull.

DSN2K

its a shame but alot of people knew this was coming. As pretty as it is, if the "game" part of your Computer Game isnt very good your not going to get good reviews.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
About what I was expecting, my interest regarding this game has always been lukewarm at best. Might pick it up during a flash sale.

ckE30m2.gif

The last line makes this gif.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
That's exactly why I'm happy to see those scores. Their vision of the future of video-games just plain sucks.They should move to the movie industry where they belong.

Disgusting post.

Also, you missed the joke.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh good. Maybe I should click the link next time.

I think though if they ever do a genuine retrospective on the development of Ready at Dawn's The Order, I do think it'd be one of the clearest cases ever of a game where they focused so much on that astonishing cinematic visual engine that they did overlook compelling core gameplay mechanics. Definitely style over substance case study imo.

I think that's why they overpromised early on talking about material-based destruction being a major part of the gameplay (like destroying walls in special ways to progress, how different items being destroyed in different ways is key to solving obstacles). I think that was in their plans, but they were so obsessed with perfecting this cinematic illusion that they sort of kept getting derailed at ever seriously implementing these gameplay features. They just didn't have the time or manpower to do it.

The presentation is astonishing. I feel like it keeps getting repeated, but it really is true. it is outrageous the level of polish it showcases. But it's like a giant boat in which one side is so heavily weighted with gold that it tips over and sinks. They put all their gold on one side of the boat.

It wishes it were.

If RAD really said that then..... - and I feel a bit sorry to say it but - ....they deserve what's happening. You don't make a video game by not making a video game. This applies to every developer since forever. Did they not know Sony has a (somewhat bigoted it turns out) film division? They could have gone there to make a movie.

It seems this game represents the extreme of doing cinematic gaming the wrong way, and I'm glad people are letting that fact be known. There is a very solid way of telling an engaging story in a video game in a cinematic way, just look at the RE HD Remaster. In fact, other games have done it better since the '80s. RAD should embrace that legacy of gaming to make the next Order everything this game isn't.

They didn't say this. They did say some really dumb things but nothing this bad.

mjc

Dang. Seems like people were actually out to just get the game.

Really sad. A lot of talent and work went into this title.

The gameplay design was definitly misguided. But the artists were all top notch. I completely understand not liking it, but 1/5 4/10? That seems a little dissensitive for a new ip from a smaller studio.

There are games that have had less gameplay. I dont understand why that has to be a full killer.

Really strange and im pretty bummed.

For the record I really loved it. And its still worth seeing for its beautiful visual experience.

The reviews aren't strange at all, if the gameplay is as pedestrian as they say it is. This is essentially Ryse 2.0.

Melchiah

Because of my extensive play of indies on PC, the PS4 hasn't been especially useful to me yet I'll be honest. Driveclub was its most spectacular exclusive, and I love it and it's one of my favorite racers of the last decade. And it's in a rare, simcade, no-bullshit racing style too, so it's a special treat for me. LittleBigPlanet 3 is fun, albeit that's PS3 as well.

PS4 has so many great indies and I hope they keep coming, but for me personally since it shares a lot of space with PC I'm hoping for the next wave of exclusives to really finally do it for me. Bloodborne looks beyond phenomenal, couldn't take it if that disappointed. I played the demo and the mechanics are definitely refined and awesome, so I can't imagine it'd be bad. But you never know, next-gen development is hard work!

The lack of PC gaming on my part is one of the reasons for why the PS4 library has been good to me. I'd also consider both Infamous titles very good games, but I agree with your sentiment on DC being the cream of the crop. It's definitely the exclusive I've played the most. As for LBP3, I skipped it because the previous ones just weren't to my taste.

I could play the indies on PC now, as I recently bought a new laptop, but playing on it after staring the same screen for the better part of the day just doesn't appeal to me. That's why I'm waiting for The Vanishing of Ethan Carter to hit the PS4.

Bloodborne looks and sounds great, but I still doubt if its gameplay is to my liking, ie. too frustrating to my taste.

Osahi

But it also sucks when shit like broken MCC gets glowing reviews.

Halo MCC wasn't exactly broken before launch. I reviewed it and I had no problem whatsoever pre-launch to get into matches. Offcourse, those were organised by MS for the press to check out the online mode. At the moment we had no way to know they would fuck up so hard that the great experience we had online would turn into a broken mess once the game came out.

ekim

Yeah... fuck different ideas and genres evolving video games as a medium. Gosh... how can you be that self-righteous?

Just played through the game less than an hour ago. It's definitely not in the same league as Last of Us or Uncharted but it's a very solid, story driven game. If you like this genre, go for it, you won't be disappointed. Visually it's stunning, apart from some of the facial animations...

The game doesn't have much replay value but in my opinion it was great entertainment for the roughly 8-10 hours that it lasted. (didn't check the time, I played through it in 3 sittings)

cakely

Aside from the incredible gifs and the excellent use of the ban-hammer in this thread:

I was waiting on reviews for The Order before picking it up and I'm glad that I did. I'm disappointed that it didn't meet my fairly low expectations.

Sotha_Sil

I be fair and say that making it SP only is a bad mistake.

It is supposed to be a big budget release, no big budget release these days go without a MP (re-playability) mode, at least not $60 ones.

False. Dishonored did it, but it also provided the player with actual depth in mechanics and level design.

Note: When Arkane was making Dishonored, they clearly placed a priority on gameplay over graphics, which were middle of the road even at that time. And it worked great.

Tagyhag

Now the question is, will it sell well? (I think it will, purely from pre-release hype)

And if it does/doesn't, will RAD's next game be just as cinematic or will they go back to the gameplay route?

GobFather

Yes it is, but parody is an exageration of some of the truth. Some comments from RAD were not that far off.

then quote the CORRECT info and not the parody. Would you allow every argument to be made from a parody websites because there are 'some" truths to them?

Alienous

Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.
- Dana Jan, Game Director

And I wonder where it all went wrong.

I think though if they ever do a genuine retrospective on the development of Ready at Dawn's The Order, I do think it'd be one of the clearest cases ever of a game where they focused so much on that astonishing cinematic visual engine that they did overlook compelling core gameplay mechanics. Definitely style over substance case study imo.

I think that's why they overpromised early on talking about material-based destruction being a major part of the gameplay (like destroying walls in special ways to progress, how different items being destroyed in different ways is key to solving obstacles). I think that was in their plans, but they were so obsessed with perfecting this cinematic illusion that they sort of kept getting derailed at ever seriously implementing these gameplay features. They just didn't have the time or manpower to do it.

The presentation is astonishing. I feel like it keeps getting repeated, but it really is true. it is outrageous the level of polish it showcases. But it's like a giant boat in which one side is so heavily weighted with gold that it tips over and sinks. They put all their gold on one side of the boat.

I'm hoping that if they get a sequel, they implement that stuff and learn from this.

This feels a bit like Killzone's situation on the PS2

I will get it when its free. I'm still interested in the story but little interactivity is probably my biggest red flag to purchasing games.

Maxim726X

Why does it being AAA mean it instantly gets a 3/5 aka 6/10?

I'm sorry, I meant 1/5 or 2/10.

It's not like they just pushed garbage out to try and take advantage of the less knowledgeable.

Whether or not you like the product, they at least tried to give people a cohesive experience.

IMO 1/5 are reserved for shovelware garbage.

trixx

People are overreacting with the lists. The gen is just beginning, there will be some heavy hitter exclusive and fantastic third party titles.

Now WHO didn't see this coming? It became very clear this was going to suck since they started talking about the "gameplay"

Not to mention that every demo/trailer that they showed was always bad, but people were always finding excuses saying that the next one would be better (lol), or that it was a really old demo (after the mild reaction from the press in that preview event that they held)

edit: nevermind, that was a fake interview lol

Lmao

You knew that shit was fake and probably posted it anyways

The gameplay design was definitly misguided. But the artists were all top notch. I completely understand not liking it, but 1/5 4/10? That seems a little dissensitive for a new ip from a smaller studio.

There are games that have had less gameplay. I dont understand why that has to be a full killer.

For the record I really loved it. And its still worth seeing for its beautiful visual experience.

Boo hoo?

I'm here for you bae.

cackhyena

That last line is a perfect way to put it. While I agree it's astonishing to look at, it's just not what I'm into game's first for. I want that compelling game play. Then make it as pretty as you need/can with the time left. If they get a second chance for a sequel, I really hope they focus on doing something with the game play. Dropping QTEs would go a long way with me.

Some positivity from The Verge:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/19/8062515/order-1886-playstation-4-review

I actually agree, that lately open-world games have been a chore for me. We're at the point where linearity and simplicity is actually "refreshing". I don't know what to think of reviews, luckily I have enough disposable income to shell out 60CHF for the game, and I love the idea of a cinematic experience. I'll get it tomorrow and finish it on the weekend and even if it's an enjoyable gorgeous pulp fiction, then it's good enough for me.

I don't understand this... Why pay for ANYTHING in the world if it isn't good? why feed in to this as they'll only keep producing more dribble in the future?

I just dont understand throwing money away

Heartfyre

Well, this thread makes me feel sad. Despite the sentiments, it's very obvious that that The Order is a real passion-project, not a cynical cashgrab. I think there's still enough in it for me to enjoy, so I'll definitely play it at some point in the future. I just hope that Ready At Dawn can weather the storm, because they've always been a great team.

RoKKeR

Great analogy, totally agreed.

Lemaitre

Banned
Reviews are quite frustrating for an owner of the PS4. Even as someone that doesn't have a lot of time to devote to games, I need my products to have some great core gameplay for me to be on board.

This reminds me of Ryse. Spectacular game to buy at a discount play through once and trade.

I really dont like how some reviewers are docking points for lack of needless stat upgrades and stuff. Not all games need xp and in thus type of game it would have felt superficial imo.

PBY

Banned
I mean, come on... 1's and 2's are saved for shovelware. Is that really necessary?
I mean- if you hate it, you hate it. I'd give KZ a 1 becUase I flat out hated every aspect of it. There are games that MC in the 7 range that Id rate a 10 personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom