• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterno69

Banned
Well clearly they felt like the game needed something added to it. A 'cinematic' experience is all fine and dandy but if there is no reason to go back to the game then it deserves to be docked points.
- no multiplayer
- no coop (hotseat or online)
- no collectables or branching paths
- no multiple playthroughs with different characters using different playstyles (sniper, sapper, heavy, etc)

Even lukewarm received games like Ryse had a lot of these things and yet people believed The Order to get similar scores? I don't see how, and I didn't even mention that a lot of review complaints were that the story was disjointed and ends poorly.
I disagree, that stuff should always be considered a plus not a minus. If trophy rarity is anything to go by, not many people beat games in the first place.

I have never beaten a game twice, once i finish the story i'm done and ready to move on, i usually don't beat multiplayer focused games like Battlefield or CoD either.

I couldn't care less about a game not having new game + , i understand people other than me do, but it should have no effect on the score of the game IMO.

Spux666

Banned
465.gif

Definitely bummed about this. I figured the shortness would be the issue and not everything else. I will still play The Order and there is a good chance it is a better game than people are giving it credit for but the urgency to play it is now gone for me. I'll grab it from GameFly in the next month and check it out then.

Lanrutcon

I wish mods would just close all the thread about 1886.
Vote with your wallet.

So...stifle all information about 1886 on this board, so people here can buy make uninformed purchasing decisions?

And miss all these fuck awesome gifs? No bro. Just no.

AdanVC

YIKES! I honestly wasn't expecting too many low scores what the heck??? :S Is it really that bad??? This will definitely hurt sales, just like it did with Assasin's Creed Unity when reviews came out. It seems that The Order is not broken or doesn't require 30 gb day one patches so there's something good there with this game at least. Oh and it's gorgeous graphics obviously but yeah, if the gameplay is bad/monotone, then not even the most gorgeous graphics can save it. This is a videogame after all. BUT, everything will change when Bloodborne comes out, I'm sure that will be PS4's first true classic.

HeelPower

Well clearly they felt like the game needed something added to it. A 'cinematic' experience is all fine and dandy but if there is no reason to go back to the game then it deserves to be docked points.
- no multiplayer
- no coop (hotseat or online)
- no collectables or branching paths
- no multiple playthroughs with different characters using different playstyles (sniper, sapper, heavy, etc)

I am REALLY surprised an AAA game like that doesn't have these elements.

Even if the main team were busy,I am sure they could have had some other studio make the additional modes for them.

I personally agree. I think that score should be reserved for shit-ass games that are broken, or awful shovelware that took a few months to cobble together.

Not a game by a respected developer that took 5 years to make.

Exactly, it The Order is a 1/5 then what should be a game like Sonic Boom?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've always wondered what it must be like in the office of the studios when reviews come out. Especially when they are negative.

I actually think most of the times with negative reviews the developers are aware beforehand that they might turn out negative. For The Order in particular I remember the comments devs made before that they see gameplay as a burden. If you have such a view and then still make a video game - not a visual novel, but a shooter - and don't even have an especially outstanding story, you should know chances are high the reviews will be negative.

Corgi

Banned
Well, Binary Domain has an avarage of 10 hours of gameplay, very small amount of cutscenes, different endings and replayability thanks to the different character interactions depending of how your treat them.
I would say that they are like night and day.

BD had its share of cutscenes. Wait it had different endings? and the interactions lead to different things?

think its about time i replay that.

EatMyFace

Banned
The basic conflict at the heart of The Order: 1886 is that considerations for a cinematic approach are prioritized above the needs of basic gameplay.
Points deducted for black bars?
The other bad thing is Sony can't market a huge investment like the Order as much as they would like with such low scores.
It's not a 1st party game.

I can't believe homies are trying to compare the Order to Halo: MCC

There are literally 4 FULL length campaigns in the game. FOUR. 4. Count on your hands please, for visual confirmation.

The wall of shame for this thread is going to be marvelous.

Schryver

Driveclub-positivity is more a GAF-thing, isn't it? It has it has it's (probably deserved) loyal audience here, but in general the gaming press, the average gamer as well as people who are big into racing games agree that Driveclub is not a stand-out good game.

I doubt that The Order will find it's loyal audience though. It would have needed reasons to replay it over and over for that.

I'm still completely baffled by the disrespect that Driveclub gets. I don't have a whole lot of racing game experience but Driveclub is the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time. Anyways, that first ElTorro GIF has convinced me to buy The Order tonight. I will preorder Bloodborne as well and get the $15 credit so I can just pretend that I spent $45 on The Order if I end up not liking it (which I doubt will be the case)

I do find it surprising that pretty much every gaf reviewer has put this game in a 7-9 range of enjoyment. I guess that actually isn't surprising critics are always a hair lower.

I am REALLY surprised an AAA game like that doesn't have these elements.

Even if the main team were busy,I am sure they could have had some other studio make the additional modes for them.

Same. Something must have happened... The end result surely can't be what RAD envisioned, planned and spent 5 long years on. Can it?!

I do find it surprising that pretty much every gaf reviewer has put this game in a 7-9 range of enjoyment. I guess that actually isn't surprising critics are always a hair lower.

Since they actually seek to get the game before the release, it pretty normal for them to enjoy it, they knew what they were getting into.

I can't believe homies are trying to compare the Order to Halo: MCC

There are literally 4 FULL length campaigns in the game. FOUR. 4. Count on your hands please, for visual confirmation.

The wall of shame for this thread is going to be marvelous.

Doesn't matter how many fucking game it has if they can't even be played.

Be interesting to see where the sales ultimately fall.

Cannot fathom how Pacther foresaw this game selling 5 million units. Doesn't make sense to me.

He's not a gamer. His predictions are based (and it's for fun he's saying it himself) on marketing budget and things like that. Not content or quality.

Wow reviewers actually using the full scoring scale Lol.

All I know is that of there's another The Order game it will like VERY VERY different from the one releasing tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom