• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe homies are trying to compare the Order to Halo: MCC

There are literally 4 FULL length campaigns in the game. FOUR. 4. Count on your hands please, for visual confirmation.

The wall of shame for this thread is going to be marvelous.
Aren't those campaigns broken because of the checkpoint save issue? And you're just going to ignore true fact that half the game, the online is busted?

noshten

Eh, a few of my buddies that got review copies say to not rely on the review scores. It's a cinematic game and, if you're expecting CoD or an open-world shooter, you'll be disappointed. That said, it's like playing a movie. If that isn't for you, it's a skip.

Personally, that sounds kind of cool. Not something I'd want all the time, but a good change of pace.

Exactly - what some people don't want to realize is that most of the video game audience doesn't want movies.
There is a market for this type of game, just don't expect great reviews and wide appeal in the market unless the story is Oscar worthy.
I'm sure that some people will have more than enough enjoyment to warrant the $60 price tag, most of those know what the Order is long before it was released and that's the type of experience they wanted.

Schryver

There are a good number of people who buy blu-rays despite not giving two shits about the movie itself simply because the picture and/or sound quality is near reference quality. There will hopefully be a good number of people who do the same for The Order. <Insert joke about The Order being just like a movie here>

I actually don't wanna dig through 37 pages to see if it was already posted, but the subtitles and the laughter in this video kill me:

"Interview" with a Ready at Dawn-developer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-u5tvQC34

This killed me and that NeoGAF mention lmao.

911.gif

ItIsOkBro

To give a game a 1/5 is to make a statement. It says to me, that the game is everything the reviewer doesn't want from games, but the score itself relative to some scale doesn't mean anything.

I'm still going to get the game. This game fits the mold though for something the enthusiast press would love, so it's confusing to me why it reviewed so badly.

I'm scratching my head at how anybody was ever hyped for this. It's the most generic thing I've seen in ages. Review scores are only surprising because usually garbage like this gets high scores regardless. I'm sure in 6 months people will be calling it 'underrated' and so forth.

RudoIudo

I had great expectation from Rad and I reallly hope they get a second chance if the game bombs.
The meltdown is really funny anyway, thank you Gaf.

It must be hard playing this game with a smile after all those brutal reviews. These game was never close to being Gears competition and comparing it to broken games which I should add are still far better in value proposition is just desperate

Opiate

The biggest problem with games like The Order: 1886 -- in terms of their long term viability -- is their cost of production.

Almost by definition, "cinematic" games require high end graphics and strong production values, and those things cost a considerable amount of money. It means games of this nature require significant popularity to remain viable.

As a contrast, strategy games can fairly readily be made for low production cost and still be true to the genre. This means the games can attract hundreds of thousands or even just tens of thousands of customers and still be viable. That would not be viable if strategy games required a 20M+ budget in order to exist in the first place.

Perhaps a solution to this will be found, but it's a legitimate concern right now. The economics of high end development are a relentlessly escalating problem within the AAA space

Duxxy3

As a ps4, and xb1 owner, I think that Sony needs to re evalute Shu's performance, first party games are what Sony is known for. I could always tend to overlook them not focusing on online multiplayer games, because of the quality and variety that Sony usually puts out with their exclusives. Driveclub, and the Order should have been launch window games. Driveclub, while great now, was delayed a year, and launched broken. So many people look at reviews when deciding to buy a game. So although the game is great now, it should have never released in the state it did. And no way Shu should have let that happen. The order, looks to be Sony's ryse. How does this happen. No multiplayer, no co-op, delayed 6 months, and getting scores of 5, and 6. Killzone another example , graphics outstanding, gameplay, bad. Knack , and Imfamous, I will give a pass, although once again, no multiplayer, and reviews were merly average.

Dont get me wrong, the ps4 is selling well. But I would argue that people buy a playstation for their quality, and diversity. Some of the indie games have been great, and maybe Bloodborne turns out great. But the performance by Sonys exclusives have been disappointing in comparison to their competitor, and that is new territory for the Playstation.

PS first parties haven't been bad, but they have been disappointing. Normally games disappoint because they are released too soon. Doesn't seem to be the case here as a lot of these games got delays, some multiple times.

They took some risks and it didn't pan out. New main characters in Killzone and Infamous. Driveclub instead of Motorstorm (though I hold my own opinion back on Driveclub as I have yet to play it). Pushing the cinematic envelope with The Order.

They could have played it safe but they wanted a fresh lineup for the PS4. Maybe they should have played it safe like they did with the hardware.

Aren't those campaigns broken because of the checkpoint save issue? And you're just going to ignore true fact that half the game, the online is busted?

There are checkpoint issues in Halo 2 from what I recall.

No one is making excuses for the malfunctioning state of MCC.

What is pathetic however, is this desperate attempt to compare a single title (The Order) to a messily organized anthology (Master Chief Collection).

mrlion

What gets me is what RAD said about gameplay. There are lots of media they can use to tell stories besides video games. If you can't get the basic gameplay working on a "cinematic experience" then why bother making the game in the first place? In this day and age when you are a developer you can't get in front of someone's face and say "its either story or nothing" when there are plenty of games that have very compelling games that varies from decent to amazing gameplay. Why do you think games like Persona 5 are hyped up? Because gamers nowdays want actual games with great stories not great stories with bad gameplay.

Karak

I don't know I liked the game. Even with its issues I rated it worthy of getting. However its not a great representation of a AAA game. In the end I had fun and that was what turned the tide.

Mabufu

Banned
I disagree, that stuff should always be considered a plus not a minus. If trophy rarity is anything to go by, not many people beat games in the first place.

I have never beaten a game twice, once i finish the story i'm done and ready to move on, i usually don't beat multiplayer focused games like Battlefield or CoD either.

I couldn't care less about a game not having new game + , i understand people other than me do, but it should have no effect on the score of the game IMO.

The Order failed on delivering almost everything a GAME must have to appeal to consumers.
Mostly because they wanted to make a movie and not a game.

Game design is a science, mate. People will enjoy The Order, but for it's quality as a movie, becasue from a game design perspective, it's awful.

I'm scratching my head at how anybody was ever hyped for this. It's the most generic thing I've seen in ages. Review scores are only surprising because usually garbage like this gets high scores regardless. I'm sure in 6 months people will be calling it 'underrated' and so forth.

I know right. Victorian steampunk setting, werewolfs and cool weapon, every games does this!

The biggest problem with games like The Order: 1886 -- in terms of their long term viability -- is their cost of production.

Almost by definition, "cinematic" games require high end graphics and strong production values, and those things cost a considerable amount of money. It means games of this nature require significant popularity to remain viable.

As a contrast, strategy games can fairly readily be made for low production cost and still be true to the genre. This means the games can attract hundreds of thousands or even just tens of thousands of customers and still be viable. That would not be viable if strategy games required a 20M+ budget in order to exist in the first place.

Perhaps a solution to this will be found, but it's a legitimate concern right now. The economics of high end development are a relentlessly escalating problem within the AAA space
Do costs come down as the tech gets better or more widespread? I feel like part of the problem is that with cinematic games is that they chase better and better graphics, racking up more and more costs.

Up until maybe the last year or so critics were always higher, throwing 9's and 10's like it was nothing.

Jim Sterling is sort of the same range as he generally is in things he has that are good ideas trapped in a disappointing game, but I'll have to go through and see what each reviewer previously covered. People pay attention to the outlets, but it's the individuals that matter.

Aside from the extreme (1/5?), it's nice to see some taking charge. There's still some language/thought-lines that don't work (games don't have to innovate, otherwise we'd have a ton of shitty games like Bayonetta 2
:p
) ,but I think the general base of the media is entering a similar mindset that's been prevalent here for quite a while now.

[NaK]

Im a bit suprised about the low scores.
I enjoyed the game and thought it would at least get 7+/10 from most reviewers.

I still hope they'll get to do The Order 2 with some improvements on the things most people seem to hate.

Brutal.

DNAbro

Cause they are...they are called fan.... ooh forget it!

I find this thought process really odd. I'm a pretty big fan of Sony's first party studios but anybody could have seen the fact that the writing was on the wall with this one. It never looked good in any showing of the game.

BD had its share of cutscenes. Wait it had different endings? and the interactions lead to different things?

think its about time i replay that.

Didnt you know that
Cain can turn bad or good at the end depending how you treat him, theres also some character that die or lives depending of that IIRC
And the amount of cutscenes is minimal compared to gameplay portions.

Opiate

I think it depends on which system they prefer. If a game, that's exclusive to one system, gets a bad review, then that person is jumping for joy. That's just my guess.

I think this is part of it, but I also think some people object to "cinematic" games and dislike them so much that they wish that they ceased to exist.

It's terribly selfish and self centered, but there is some logic to it. Yes, I too wish the world centered around me, and every game was made with my preferences in mind too. It won't happen, but it certainly sounds nice from a purely selfish point of view.

Cavalier

Banned

How could you say that it's generic when it's the most unique game out right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom