• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanmik

dG93kYG.gif

just wauw.. you turned that old gif around really fast.:!

Beefy

So you're saying everyone that bought the game likes it?

Where did I say that? You made out you felt sorry for people buying this game for full price. I said why feel sorry for people that enjoy the game. Yes like any game people that buy The Order will like it or dislike it. But your post made out no one should buy it full price and if they do you feel sorry for them.

Kssio_Aug

Its strange but, in my opinion, Knack was until now the most fun 1st party game Sony released this generation and the only one that I consider to have received incredible unfair scores.

I hope that after the bad scores with The Order and DriveClub (and no amazing scores for inFamous and Killzone) they give Cerny and Japan Studio team a new chance to produce Knack 2.

And I'm serious!

As a ps4, and xb1 owner, I think that Sony needs to re evalute Shu's performance, first party games are what Sony is known for. I could always tend to overlook them not focusing on online multiplayer games, because of the quality and variety that Sony usually puts out with their exclusives. Driveclub, and the Order should have been launch window games. Driveclub, while great now, was delayed a year, and launched broken. So many people look at reviews when deciding to buy a game. So although the game is great now, it should have never released in the state it did. And no way Shu should have let that happen. The order, looks to be Sony's ryse. How does this happen. No multiplayer, no co-op, delayed 6 months, and getting scores of 5, and 6. Killzone another example , graphics outstanding, gameplay, bad. Knack , and Imfamous, I will give a pass, although once again, no multiplayer, and reviews were merly average.

Dont get me wrong, the ps4 is selling well. But I would argue that people buy a playstation for their quality, and diversity. Some of the indie games have been great, and maybe Bloodborne turns out great. But the performance by Sonys exclusives have been disappointing in comparison to their competitor, and that is new territory for the Playstation.
Normally I would not agree with this sort of post but I think you touch on something important regarding multiplayer; they NEED to prioritize it more. That may be a reason they courted SFV, because most people spend their time with fighting games online or in local multiplayer face-to-face.

PSN is not like it was before; multiplayer is something you have to pay for now, so people are probably expecting Sony's games to justify that by pushing more on multiplayer themselves. It does send a weird message when the platform holder has you pay for multiplayer, but themselves isn't necessarily prioritizing its inclusion in their 1st/2nd-party games.

Even some form of rudimentary multiplayer would be good, if just to shut up the critics. But it could also be a great way to add perceived value to games, and even inspire the single-player campaigns to do innovative stuff with multiplayer in mind. Bloodborn is a perfect example of a game in that respect, a game that is doing it right.

The Order? Not very much so at all...

Just to provide another example (some will probably be annoyed by this but...), look at how MS has MP implemented in all of their 1st/2nd-party AAA games, even more story-based ones like Sunset Overdrive. It doesn't matter if the multiplayer is important to the experience or even very good or works (MCC); what matters is that by including it, the perceived value of the game by both critics and consumers will increase sharply. That buys you a lot of goodwill.

I think it is pretty clear that Sony's first party advantage that many here touted at launched has been squandered. Technically, this wasn't a team that they owned but the overall theme for Sony's PS4 exclusives has been unmet potential. They really need to get things together on that front.

Exactly, it The Order is a 1/5 then what should be a game like Sonic Boom?

I'd suggest 1/5 simply means that there's no fun to be had with the game. Maybe traditionally that's because it's just frustratingly broken, but in a case like this, it might simply be boring as fuck and fail as a videogame, hence polishing the presentation won't fix anything. It's good to see that standards aren't yet that drastically lowered, to give a game extra points, only because it isn't completely broken nowadays, lol.

-MD-

I do find it surprising that pretty much every gaf reviewer has put this game in a 7-9 range of enjoyment. I guess that actually isn't surprising critics are always a hair lower.

Up until maybe the last year or so critics were always higher, throwing 9's and 10's like it was nothing.

I don't mind short, linear games if the story is good since my gaming time is limited these days but it sounds like they fucked that up too. Disappointing.

UTIII

Banned
Disappointed that the wonderful world created by RAD has been let down by the gameplay or lack of it. Was looking forward to exploring and taking in the atmosphere.

I'll still give it a go, but will borrow rather than buy.

I do hope though with the tools in place and engine created a sequel does follow that gets the other bits, the important bits, right. 4 player co-op would be awesome. I like what I've seen of the gameplay, cover based 3rd person shooter, not everything has to be innovative.

If I remember correctly this was supposed to be a launch window game? So perhaps it isn't suprising its limited.

The Order: 1886 is bland gameplay wrapped in admittedly gorgeous next generation graphics. It's not bad through and through, it's just disappointing.

This console generation in a nutshell. I'm full on PC gamer now until 2016.

I just need to put together good gaming components for $500.

boeso

Absolutely brutal. Getting this kind of response from reviews is fine but if fells especially harsh given the road to the reviews was so rough. From that initial gameplay reveal onwards.

I don't remember there being much 'bigging' it up either by RAD. Wasn't it presented as a cinematic TPS with insane graphics? When did the boots become so big to justify the comparisons made to other games?

DukeBobby

Hmm, that's about what I was expecting, although I thought it would score a little higher (closer to 70).

Looking forward to trying it for myself tomorrow. Should be an enjoyable way to spend a weekend.

I'd suggest 1/5 simply means that there's no fun to be had with the game. Maybe traditionally that's because it's just frustratingly broken, but in a case like this, it might simply be boring as fuck and fail as a videogame, hence polishing the presentation won't fix anything. It's good to see that standards aren't yet that drastically lowered, to give a game extra points, only because it isn't completely broken nowadays, lol.

I'm really skeptical that there is no redeeming quality in the game.

How does that make sense in any possible way.

They were interested enough to get the game before it officially release, people tend to do that when they know they will enjoy the game, at least in my case.

Fezan

I do find it surprising that pretty much every gaf reviewer has put this game in a 7-9 range of enjoyment. I guess that actually isn't surprising critics are always a hair lower.

thats because we knew what game was going for and judged it on that metric.
Reviewers on the other hand take into account value for dollar innovation etc.

Played for around 4 hours now. Not really enjoying it. The actual gameplay sections are so stop start its really annoying. I don't need to see a cinematic of the character ducking under a beam, just duck under it when I push forward on the controller FFS

This is the PS4's Ryse, however I actually enjoyed playing Ryse more than this so far.

It's a shame as I really want to like it as I love the setting and the weapon and character design is top notch.

I think the majority of the scores are fair. There isn't much game here for them to review

HeelPower

Same. Something must have happened... The end result surely can't be what RAD envisioned, planned and spent 5 long years on. Can it?!

It seems like this game has really strong basis for a great experience ,but it just needed more meat to it.

Could this game after all have suffered from some budget shortages ?

Multiplayer and Coop seemed like a no brainer in this day and age for giant AAA games like this.

SillyJoe

Awesome. To be honest, bad and short games are refreshing when you have little time to play. Give more of that greatness, PlayStation!

Cavalier

Banned
Doesn't matter how many fucking game it has if they can't even be played.

They're all playable. Tone down on your bitterness.

Played for around 4 hours now. Not really enjoying it. The actual gameplay sections are so stop start its really annoying. I don't need to see a cinematic of the character ducking under a beam...

This is the PS4's Ryse, however I actually enjoyed playing Ryse more than this so far.

I don't think you can compare the 2. They're both different games with different pacing. Also, Ryse had multiplayer and the game isn't really cinematic.

EatMyFace

Banned
Well clearly they felt like the game needed something added to it. A 'cinematic' experience is all fine and dandy but if there is no reason to go back to the game then it deserves to be docked points.
- no multiplayer
- no coop (hotseat or online)
- no collectables or branching paths
- no multiple playthroughs with different characters using different playstyles (sniper, sapper, heavy, etc)

Even lukewarm received games like Ryse had a lot of these things and yet people believed The Order to get similar scores? I don't see how, and I didn't even mention that a lot of review complaints were that the story was disjointed and ends poorly.
Not all games need tacked on multiplayer, co-op or stupid unlockables. Also the multiple playthroughs thing is a ridiculous complaint. Not necessary either. If these are the only complaints with the game I'm going to buy it once it goes on sale.

Korten

Banned
Honestly I give up, there is no hope for the gaming community anymore. It's no longer enough to merely dislike a game, but now desire it to fail under this strange delusion that somehow it failing will make things "better". I no longer care about the consumers rights or protection, they don't deserve it. I don't even think I want to release my game now because of the gaming community in it's behavior these past few months, and their behavior is seemingly going to just get worse.

I know I'm probably being melodramatic, I know others will call me out. But I am out of fucks to give anymore. You killed all of them.

iNvid02

it sucks that this was a new IP falling so flat on its face, because unlike tried and tested franchises the poor reviews are gonna hurt its sales for sure

Journey

Banned
And here we go...

Scores aren't looking so hot....damn, but I'm still giving this a chance at some point. Time to do lots of reading, I'm sure there's some good in there. I've seen worse scores where I enjoyed the game anyway.

Manus

Disappointed by the reviews. Wish RaD could put this engine to use on a full fledged God of War game. I loved those two PSP titles they put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom