• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made another GIF to sum up the reviews.

npGhwnb.gif

LMAO

quest

Not Banned from OT
Honestly I give up, there is no hope for the gaming community anymore. It's no longer enough to merely dislike a game, but now desire it to fail under this strange delusion that somehow it failing will make things "better". I no longer care about the consumers rights or protection, they don't deserve it. I don't even think I want to release my game now because of the gaming community in it's behavior these past few months, and their behavior is seemingly going to just get worse.

I know I'm probably being melodramatic, I know others will call me out. But I am out of fucks to give anymore. You killed all of them.

You might want to look at the cause of all of it. People are finally fed up and pissed off about broken and bad games. In recent months 3 high profile games were basically broken for weeks and months after launch. People have supported this new generation at near unprecedented levels. What those people get in return? Broken and bad games so of course they are lashing out. This generation is so bad that the highest rated games are up ports of last generation. Everyone has their limits and most people have reached theirs.

SkylineRKR

I'm scratching my head at how anybody was ever hyped for this. It's the most generic thing I've seen in ages. Review scores are only surprising because usually garbage like this gets high scores regardless. I'm sure in 6 months people will be calling it 'underrated' and so forth.

Yeah single player cover shooter... come the fuck on. The writing was on the wall. Unless its something like Vanquish, that really tried to shake things up. But it obviously wasn't. First gameplay footage of the Order looked as basic and tired as it can get.

I think The Order is what you get when you let Davig Cage let loose on the TPS genre.

Korten

Banned
You might want to look at the cause of all of it. People are finally fed up and pissed off about broken and bad games. In recent months 3 high profile games were basically broken for weeks and months after launch. People have supported this new generation at near unprecedented levels. What those people get in return? Broken and bad games so of course they are lashing out. This generation is so bad that the highest rated games are up ports of last generation. Everyone has their limits and most people have reached theirs.

Honestly though? I don't care. The gaming community has gotten so terrible that this has been brought upon themselves. Having no one to blame but themselves.
Not even sure Gamers deserve to have good games considering the vast majority of gamers have become so vile.

Jarmel

Banned
It's getting out of hand, for sure. The amount of dog-piling and negativity in the games media over the last couple of years has reached absurd levels. I don't need to play the game to know it's not a 1-4/10. That score should mean it's broken and/or complete pile of crap.

Why should it? It should mean a subpar game.

BokehKing

Banned
But the most important thing is.... It's a AAA game that works, functions properly, locked 30fps, beautiful graphics

Something you can't say for the holiday 2014 games that scored higher

pj

Banned
I'm really skeptical that there is no redeeming quality in the game.

If a game is a 10 in graphics and a 2 in fun, it's a 2/10 game. It's silly when review scores are an average of arbitrary categories.

They were interested enough to get the game before it officially release, people tend to do that when they know they will enjoy the game, at least in my case.

or they delude themselves into thinking they liked it. Happened to me with Fable 1

Opiate

Do costs come down as the tech gets better or more widespread? I feel like part of the problem is that with cinematic games is that they chase better and better graphics, racking up more and more costs.

They do, but at least up until now, those cost savings have not balanced out the cost increases.

Every generation -- and even within a generation -- the models get more detailed, the set pieces more grand, the lighting more complex, the sound design richer. This requires ever increasing costs, and those costs are going up faster than middleware and other cost savings can cut the budget down.

Maybe that trend will reverse at some point, but it hasn't so far.

I think this is part of it, but I also think some people object to "cinematic" games and dislike them so much that they wish that they ceased to exist.

It's terribly selfish and self centered, but there is some logic to it. Yes, I too wish the world centered around me, and every game was made with my preferences in mind too. It won't happen, but it certainly sounds nice from a purely selfish point of view.
It's actually really selfish because contrary to what others keep saying, I think there is a market for these kinds of games. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer who wants to chase scores or play mechanically deep games. Cinematic games have a "lighter" touch could be part of expanding the audience of gaming in general. And that would be a great thing.
They do, but at least up until now, those cost savings have not balanced out the cost increases.

Every generation -- and even within a generation -- the models get more detailed, the set pieces more grand, the lighting more complex, the sound design richer. This requires ever increasing costs, and those costs are going up faster than middleware and other cost savings can cut the budget down.

Maybe that trend will reverse at some point, but it hasn't so far.
At some point I would hope that a dev would come along who isn't necessarily interested in chasing the graphics aspect of cinematic games. They could do something pretty neat.

I wish good games looked as good as the order and driveclub, cause they look awesome, but thats it.

It's about resource management and priorities. While a game like Wolfenstein is not even close to looking as stunning as The Order, it oozes with style, story, and fantastic gameplay.

The reason The Order has been so divisive is that from the moment it was announced, it was clear where RaD prioritized its resources. Too many people were willing to buy into the fantasy that it would be more. Throw in that I I an exclusive title, and boom, now you have people rooting for the title even harder.

This game goes against what some people stand for in gaming, therefore if it bombs then it gives them joy that something they don't like fails.

It's not joy, but hope that the fail game will make the developer look back at the game and notice that just looks alone will not net you $60 bucks. As gamers we have expectations, you know? We're not all sheep.

Why is it almost like some people are happy it got bad review scores?

Here is why:

Prior to launch there was a number of people who were very excited for this game due to its setting/graphics and first part nature... I'll put those guys in group A. There was a greater number of people who looked at the gameplay and cinematic nature and thought this game looked fairly mediocre...I'll put those guys in group B.

When Group B shares there opinion with Group A, Group A would take it personally and spend tons of time trying to discredit Group B. Group B went on the defense and spend time trying to discredit Group A. Due to there position in this argument Group B became emotionally invested in this game "being bad" and when the reviews were released it just helped to cement Group B's opinion so they cheered the results. If the reviews were great Group A would be cheering from the rooftops.

mfiuza

Since the game is not broken, the review serves only to show me that this game is not for everyone. Knowing the fact that I usually like cinematic games, have absolutely no problem at all with QTE, I think the game may be a fun experience for me.

I think the reviewers usually thinks about how one game can be viewed differently by players with different tastes, but he has to give a score, and I doubt the score is based on a non-personal metric. But the gamer usually don't see it that way. So instead of understanding what type of game it is, and decide by himself and be ok with the decision, they usually go and look only at the score, automatically judging the game by it and even defending this kind of game shouldn't exist (as we can see a fine example on another gaf thread).

as much as the games getting alot of shit right now, i hope rads doing a good job of distinguishing good criticism from the bad, because the atmosphere in this game is one of the best ive seen in a long time (almost rivaling tlou), and id love them to iterate on this with the criticism in mind.

Fury451

Banned
Comparing The Order to Haze.

HAZE.

And Lair.

LAIR.

My God, we've truly reached the end of this journey.

Lair I kind of get, if only because it was a "showcase" game that disappointed. But they're really not on the same level, Lair was pretty broken with the original controls, so it doesn't really work to equate them.

Haze though? Yeah, that's a ridiculous comparison all around.

Axass

Honestly though? I don't care. The gaming community has gotten so terrible that this has been brought upon themselves. Having no one to blame but themselves.

I'm sure you meant the gaming industry, otherwise your post makes little sense.

It's the gaming industry that keeps pushing out broken games and cinematic experiences, experiences so true to the word cinematic that they'll last around 2 hours soon.

domlolz

Banned
Why is it almost like some people are happy it got bad review scores?

when the devs said

I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

i expected the game to be crap and now it's sorta confirmed that it's not very good. maybe they should focus on gameplay next time.

Cavalier

Banned
Hmmm. You must not play a lot of video games.

Point out one single game that's a clone of The Order. Same setting. Similar cinematic cutscene : gameplay ratio. Same objectives. Same gameplay. Similar storyline. Similar weapons.

Calling The Order generic is just idiotic at this point.

Having said that, I don't own a PS4 but I can appreciate a very good looking game that does something different in this generation that's filled with dudebro shooters.

I respect RAD for doing their own thing and not listening to whiny gamers.

theDeeDubs

It's disappointing to see such a cool atmosphere and setting squandered. I hate to judge a game for what it wasn't setting out to be, but I just can't get excited over a meat and potato shooter nowadays. It would have made one hell of an RPG. I still want to play it just to bask in its graphical glory, but for a short meat and potatoes shooter I'll wait until it hits $20.

Palocca

Here is why:

Prior to launch there was a number of people who were very excited for this game due to its setting/graphics and first part nature... I'll put those guys in group A. There was a greater number of people who looked at the gameplay and cinematic nature and thought this game looked fairly mediocre...I'll put those guys in group B.

When Group B shares there opinion with Group A, Group A would take it personally and spend tons of time trying to discredit Group B. Group B went on the defense and spend time trying to discredit Group A. Due to there position in this argument Group B became emotionally invested in this game "being bad" and when the reviews were released it just helped to cement Group B's opinion so they cheered the results. If the reviews were great Group A would be cheering from the rooftops.

Haha this is a great summary of what happened between gameplay reveal to now.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it.
- Dana Jan, Game Director

And I wonder where it all went wrong.

You guys aren't reading that quote correctly. Obviously gameplay is unavoidable when they're making a game.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I do find it surprising that pretty much every gaf reviewer has put this game in a 7-9 range of enjoyment. I guess that actually isn't surprising critics are always a hair lower.

It's not surprising as gaffers spent money on the game whereas reviewers do not. It's been proven in psychology that humans will subconsciously value things higher (enjoying things more) if they are more expensive, as in this study of blind wine tasters. In addition, humans are naturally loss-adverse and so when they spend money on something, they will do all they can to avoid feeling like they wasted their money. It's nothing nefarious or something to be judged, it's just how our brains are programmed. It's called the "sunk-cost fallacy" and here's a great article/podcast about it. So you can see that reviewers and consumers are approaching these games from different perspectives and that actually has a real effect on how much they enjoy the exact same game. It's a pretty interesting topic and probably worth some discussion sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom