• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

Well, we can at least expect the online play to be HORRIBLE the first month like it has always been (also the PS2 versions). After the regular excuse messages from konami when not being able to log-in or play lag free we can only hope for a fixing patch :lol :D

Nothing beats offline mulitplayer PES gameplay though, under the sloppy HD presentation, it's still possible to find the true pro evo gameplay, wich is pure heaven!

I found the Spanish review to be the most in depth review so far. I not gonna even touch the 360 version. Only game I am gonna consider buying is the Wii version.

spwolf

f@luS said:
it has never been acceptable or define it. a 2 players online game should be flawless dude...2008, almost 2009 . Even a decade ago it shouldnt be acceptable

so what, i should player inferior game just because it "might" have better online? If you play PES a lot, it is impossible to go back to moonball fifa...

I happy with changes they did in PES08 to PES09, i hope everything is perfect, but I know already that it isnt. Good online would be good, but I play 95% of my games in local 1vs1 where the king is the king.

spwolf

sneaky77 said:
How much $$$ IGN puts into ads in the pes games for example... I find it hard to trust their reviews about the game after last yrs fiasco

why should you trust their review, you have demo of 09 you can check yourself. And yes, it is the best footy gameplay you will find on ps3/360 IMHO.

jts

...hate me...
JetSetRadio said:
Nothing beats offline mulitplayer PES gameplay though, under the sloppy HD presentation, it's still possible to find the true pro evo gameplay, wich is pure heaven!
This is true. And this is why i'll go with PES 2009.

However i expect big big things from next year's version.

dk_

spwolf said:
why should you trust their review, you have demo of 09 you can check yourself. And yes, it is the best footy gameplay you will find on ps3/360 IMHO.
You should try the Fifa 09 demo.

jts

...hate me...
Slamo said:
Sounds familiar...
PRS baby! Pro Revolution Soccer :D

From wikipedia:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010

Not much is known about next years version but it has been heavily rumoured that PES 2010 will incorporate a brand new game engine which utilises the power of next-generation consoles. Features such as 360 degree movement as well as manual controls have been mentioned by industry experts. It is believed that the new engine has been in development since 2007 and further evidence of this is the increase in the developer Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka's team from a handful of members to around 200. In addition the game has been nicknamed by enthusiasts as Pro 'Revolution' Soccer.

I still think PES has the best gameplay around though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010

Not much is known about next years version but it has been heavily rumoured that PES 2010 will incorporate a brand new game engine which utilises the power of next-generation consoles. Features such as 360 degree movement as well as manual controls have been mentioned by industry experts. It is believed that the new engine has been in development since 2007 and further evidence of this is the increase in the developer Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka's team from a handful of members to around 200. In addition the game has been nicknamed by enthusiasts as Pro 'Revolution' Soccer.

icalledit!.gif

Haunted

spwolf said:
PCAction from Germany gives PC version 9/1
As a conclusion, PES 2009 is how PES 2008 should have been, although the differences between the two games are not overwhelming. Anyway, there is no better football game for PC, period.
lol, German magazines.

But that's how I feel about PES 2009 as well. Every dog has its day etc.

mio said:
This is true. And this is why i'll go with PES 2009.

However i expect big big things from next year's version.

Just glad to hear that at least offline everything runs smooth like butter. Wich was NOT the case with PES 08 on PS3/360. Also the replays seem fixed.

Blablurn

who is going to buy the ps3 version of the game? feel free to post your psn nick since sony just released the new wipeout hd patch which allows to play the game with a 60+ friend list. it wasn't possible before that patch.

jts

...hate me...
I will. My PSN ID is jts3, though with the shittiness my connection has been lately, i probably won't spend too much time online.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
dk_ said:
Been there done that. Minutes later my PES 09 order was canceled.

I find it funny when people say things like this and thinks it's some kind of proof that the game was bad. When in reality, it only proves that they didn't give the game a chance before giving it up.

If you liked the PS2 games, you'll like PES09. Just give it time and get used to it. It's as good as it used to be, and if you don't like that, you didn't like the others either.

Blablurn

With just one week to go now until Pro Evolution Soccer 2009's release, the annual FIFA versus PES war is warming up nicely and we recently caught up with legendary series creator Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka at the PES European finals.

One key battleground this year will be the online component of both games and while Seabass conceded that PES 2008's online performance was perhaps more Conference level than Champions League, this year he's promising big things.

Seabass said, "I do acknowledge that last year we placed such emphasis on the controls that the online side was sacrificed. For instance if you didn't have a very good connection, that could really seriously affect your gameplay and it could turn out to be very horrible indeed.

"This year we looked at this [online] as a top priority and we tested half way around the world, so that even for people who don't have good connections we wanted to pursue how we can make the game still playable... we found a solution as well as taking on more players, four this time, for multiplayer online."

Seabass also promised that his team wouldn't be resting on its laurels and further improvements could be on the way post-release. "We're not going to stop, until we're fully satisfied with this online version of PES 2009, we want to go even further. So I promise you it will still continue to change and improve further as we go along."

Read XBW's hands-on here and look out for the full PES 2009 interview with Seabass on CVG shortly.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=199117

StarEye said:
I find it funny when people say things like this and thinks it's some kind of proof that the game was bad. When in reality, it only proves that they didn't give the game a chance before giving it up.

If you liked the PS2 games, you'll like PES09. Just give it time and get used to it. It's as good as it used to be, and if you don't like that, you didn't like the others either.

I loved Winning Eleven on PS2 and bought all the games like plenty of other people Problem is we dont want to play the PS2 games anymore. The fact that the 360/PS3 version does some things worse than than the PS2 game is pretty bad.

Also the PS3/360 version is not doing enough to convince me to buy the next-gen versions. Until Konami build a new engine I am not buying WE/PES again. (Wii version not included)

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
kobashi100 said:
I loved Winning Eleven on PS2 and bought all the games like plenty of other people Problem is we dont want to play the PS2 games anymore. The fact that the 360/PS3 version does some things worse than than the PS2 game is pretty bad.

Also the PS3/360 version is not doing enough to convince me to buy the next-gen versions. Until Konami build a new engine I am not buying WE/PES again. (Wii version not included)

Fair enough. I do agree that some aspects are worse (mainly the keepers, and if the freezing player bug is still in the final version, that too). But in most cases it's on par or better than the PS2 versions. I understand that people want new things, and therefore look to FIFA, which has become a fantastic football game (I'm still not sure about the longevity of it, I have always lost interest in the game after a while, unlike PES). The problem lies in how a lot of people are exaggerating, it's as if both can't be good football games. A lot of people say "PES is crap now! FIFA is the best football game ever!". No, PES is not crap. It's just as good if not better in most aspects, than the PS2 games. Saying the new PES games are crap is like saying the old PES games were crap. It just doesn't suddenly turn crap, like some people want to believe.

Instead of having people accepting they're two different takes on the sport, it's has to be one of the extremes. Crap, or godly. Those who don't like the new PES games probably only liked the old PES because everyone was playing them.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
ok so after playing FIFA religiously and being addicted to it and its online components for awhile I am finally fed up of it. I did enjoy it and I will still enjoy getting together wth some friends in a club and running around a pitch trying to get the ball in the net. Sadly thats the best description of it, because it is certainly nothing like the beautiful game.

FIFA's appeal is that its kind of fun doing this thing with lots of other people, where you all run around like idiots trying your damndest to play football despite the ridiculous button lag (it is literally 1 second between button press and anything happening, thats if you're not holding it for more power), worse goalkeeper AI ever and crazy tunnel vision camera - which increases the pressure but also reduces anything cool or insightful you might attempt to nothing more than hit and hope. What it captures well is the feeling of being in a team - albeit one which isnt very good at football, even crap players can enjoy the real life game and you'll get the odd moment of glory when you do score or do a good pass/tackle or your team has a spell of domination in the game.

So often you'll spend a full match trying to make something special happen, frustratingly wrestling with the shit controls trying to pass and probe your way through a defence, only to have your opponent run in a straight line and bang in a 20 yard screamer because you didn't have sufficient control over your defenders to stop him. They just ran past him or missed their tackle thanks to the button lag and weird aiming of sliding tackles. So yeah, FIFA has amazing online capabilities, but its not going to mean much if everytime you play you realise "this is impressive and all but......I'm not actually having fun". When moving and kicking the ball feel like a chore, and a really irritating one at that - you know something is wrong.

Immediately after playing FIFA today I played the PES demo to wash my mouth of the taste so to speak, and its so much better. I had 2 0-0 draws, but it was so so so so much better.

in those two games I had more snapshots of the real sport than FIFA has managed in a week. Opponents passing triangles around me, midfielders stopping the ball and taking a look around, attempting audacious runs and through balls which the defender mops up. It was all so free and easy. When I am Ronaldo, I feel like I am Ronaldo - but not once did i manage to beat my man. Sure I ran into the middle but he and his team mates blocked me off so I had to pass. The defender was TOUGH to beat - thats real.

FIFA replicates this by making Ronaldo feel like a chump, so sure defenders are hard to beat, but not for anywhere near the same reasons.

PES finds balance, realism and skill in empowering you to do what you imagine and empowering the opponent to cope. FIFA finds balance and realism in disabling you and skill in useless canned animations unlocked via button combos.

No doubt I'll have a similar lis of complaints about how PES is flawed, but it will the more advanced stuff which is flawed, not the basic engine. It will still probably be the best PES and that makes it by default the best football game.

kaizoku said:
ok so after playing FIFA religiously and being addicted to it and its online components for awhile I am finally fed up of it. I did enjoy it and I will still enjoy getting together wth some friends in a club and running around a pitch trying to get the ball in the net. Sadly thats the best description of it, because it is certainly nothing like the beautiful game.

FIFA's appeal is that its kind of fun doing this thing with lots of other people, where you all run around like idiots trying your damndest to play football despite the ridiculous button lag (it is literally 1 second between button press and anything happening, thats if you're not holding it for more power), worse goalkeeper AI ever and crazy tunnel vision camera - which increases the pressure but also reduces anything cool or insightful you might attempt to nothing more than hit and hope. What it captures well is the feeling of being in a team - albeit one which isnt very good at football, even crap players can enjoy the real life game and you'll get the odd moment of glory when you do score or do a good pass/tackle or your team has a spell of domination in the game.

So often you'll spend a full match trying to make something special happen, frustratingly wrestling with the shit controls trying to pass and probe your way through a defence, only to have your opponent run in a straight line and bang in a 20 yard screamer because you didn't have sufficient control over your defenders to stop him. They just ran past him or missed their tackle thanks to the button lag and weird aiming of sliding tackles. So yeah, FIFA has amazing online capabilities, but its not going to mean much if everytime you play you realise "this is impressive and all but......I'm not actually having fun". When moving and kicking the ball feel like a chore, and a really irritating one at that - you know something is wrong.

Immediately after playing FIFA today I played the PES demo to wash my mouth of the taste so to speak, and its so much better. I had 2 0-0 draws, but it was so so so so much better.

in those two games I had more snapshots of the real sport than FIFA has managed in a week. Opponents passing triangles around me, midfielders stopping the ball and taking a look around, attempting audacious runs and through balls which the defender mops up. It was all so free and easy. When I am Ronaldo, I feel like I am Ronaldo - but not once did i manage to beat my man. Sure I ran into the middle but he and his team mates blocked me off so I had to pass. The defender was TOUGH to beat - thats real.

FIFA replicates this by making Ronaldo feel like a chump, so sure defenders are hard to beat, but not for anywhere near the same reasons.

PES finds balance, realism and skill in empowering you to do what you imagine and empowering the opponent to cope. FIFA finds balance and realism in disabling you and skill in useless canned animations unlocked via button combos.

No doubt I'll have a similar lis of complaints about how PES is flawed, but it will the more advanced stuff which is flawed, not the basic engine. It will still probably be the best PES and that makes it by default the best football game.

Interesting thoughts. I assume you're in Euroland, so definitely share your Pro Evo impressions later this week.

Blablurn

kaizoku said:

Listen to this man! This is the reason I play fucking PES!

Dizzan

MINI Member
It comes out on the 30th here in Australia.

I have it preordered and paid in full

My PSN is dizzan and I expect to pl playing a lot as I finish uni on the 31st. Awesome.

Blablurn

Dizzan said:
It comes out on the 30th here in Australia.

I have it preordered and paid in full

My PSN is dizzan and I expect to pl playing a lot as I finish uni on the 31st. Awesome.

I send you a request o/

Blablurn said:
I send you a request o/

Do you have my PSN? It's Gators625

AstroLad said:
so yeah you don't know how to play fifa. you're in good company here though.

now, now Astro. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On a side note, have you abandoned Hot Shots or do you still give it some love?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gamecocks625 said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Which is and always has been my point, but I welcome the thousands more pages of "NO FIFA/PES IS MORE LIKE REAL FOOTBALL BECAUSE...."

On a side note, have you abandoned Hot Shots or do you still give it some love?
I'd be happy to play any time but I haven't played since the last tournament I set up.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Blablurn said:
I send you a request o/

Awesome. Hopefully they've sorted out the online for worldwide play. I could just barely play my brother 6 km away in 08.

When I first played the new demo, I struggled with it and thought it felt weird. I played it maybe 20 times and started to really enjoy it as I grasped the controls.

I've been busy for a few days and I had some free time last night so I played the demo again. It's really, really good. The graphics, framerate etc are smooth as butter and the gameplay is almost perfect. So much control in where your passes go.

Only problems I had were with using the left stick to control the player. I used to be a DPad only guy but switched gradually to analogue. Now, it feels slightly harder to direct your player as sometimes he'll do some crazy move that you didn't want. Also some movements feel a little less responsive.

Other than that, I love it and can't wait for release. Be a Pro looks exciting. Shame they can't match Fifas 11 v 11 but I don't think i'd ever use it anyway.

Blaburn, if you're looking for someone that plays a LOT of PES, add my brother.

his psn is ajs07 i think. Just let him know ur up for pes in a message.

Steroyd

Hohoho PES passed the "play with my mate on a second controller" test with flying colours. :D

Friday (plz plz plz be Thursday) can't come soon enough.

Blablurn

Dizzan said:
Blaburn, if you're looking for someone that plays a LOT of PES, add my brother.

his psn is ajs07 i think. Just let him know ur up for pes in a message.

Sounds good! I'll do that tomorrow (too lazy to turn on the ps3 right now :/)

AstroLad said:
Which is and always has been my point, but I welcome the thousands more pages of "NO FIFA/PES IS MORE LIKE REAL FOOTBALL BECAUSE...."

I think I'd rather torture myself by reading the 1000's of pages of the politics thread in the OT :lol

There are rumors of an online update near the release of the game. Could it possibly include updated rosters? The WENB option file was delayed "for good reason", so it's not out of the relm of possibility. hmm...

echo...echo...echo..

Some sweet pics of the edit mode in action. Hopefully there will be a nice option file for the US as well.

spurs2ty3.jpg

hull1hc5.jpg

boro3fu7.jpg

jts

...hate me...
The edit mode sounds so great i actually want to edit a squad myself.

Too bad that the most important/relevant ones for me are already licenced (Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Portugal and Man Utd).

Anyway, preordered today from shopto, so HYPE HYPE HYPE please please send me the game ASAP :(

And boy was it hard to sell PES 2008... some store offered me 6€ for it... like wtf? Thankfully i sold to a cousin for 20€. Not bad i guess.

Steroyd

Steroyd's e-mail said:
Your Order has been dispatched!

We are pleased to inform you that your order has been dispatched today by 1st Class Recorded Signed For Delivery. You should receive your order in the mail tomorrow, please keep this email until your order arrives. Please note if you change your mind about a purchase you may return it to us unopened at your own expense within 7 days of receipt of goods for a full refund, after 7 days we do not accept any returns. We only accept cancellation by email; please keep copy of the email as proof of notification.

%&$*%(^£@>}:£!"@:%$:^}%{%:mad:~.'][.''#.'.'[]]=

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
Shopto is cheap and fast
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

A few people on the WENB forums have the full game and are really impressed, especially with the AI, better graphics/lighting (day and afternoon matches particarly), and animations. They say it's definitely better than the demo.

Roll on November 11th! (...and enjoy it this week Euro-landers!)

More option file pics from pesfan. The EPL is looking nice!

newsun2yr5.jpg

newsun3wv1.jpg

Srider

Banned
Oh man, I can't wait. Have to wait till day after tomorrow to pick this up after my plane arrives back home :(

I want to play it so much now after being impressed by the TGS build.

jts

...hate me...
Steroyd said:
%&$*%(^£@>}:£!"@:%$:^}%{%:mad:~.'][.''#.'.'[]]=

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
Shopto is cheap and fast
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
Just checked my email and there was my invoice. Free international delivery! w00t!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
Shopto
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

near

Gold Member
I can't wait :p Usually my local GameStation releases new games a day or two early, so I could potentially have my copy tomorrow! But most likely on Thursday, either way, I'm pumped. :D

F#A#Oo

Banned
Sorry to burst you guys bubble but the release date is tomorrow for this. :D UK anyways...it's been changed. It's been sold right now by some retailers...

Top Bottom