• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

supermackem said:
21-21 could happen but you arnt likely to see it, scores like that are what use to be the reason people hated fifa game back in the day.

It was his first online game, after having the game for a day, just like the guy he played against. I think unusual results are not all that unusual in that case, but hey, keep on truckin'.

Huggers

How is the online then boys? I bought the game yesterday but never got the chance to play it and now I'm at work:-(

dk_

Blablurn said:
I think you'll see the same amount of goals during fifa matches :| It's not like these games are exact copies of the real life sport.

and it only happened during the online mode. i didn't shoot more than four goals during the offline games yet.
No, because Fifa is overall slower than PES which makes it easier in the defense. My highest result was 4-1 online in >20 games.

supermackem said:
21-21 could happen but you arnt likely to see it, scores like that are what use to be the reason people hated fifa game back in the day.
You played FIFA recently?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Blablurn said:
Does anyone remember Libero Grande? :)

medium_me0000038873_2.jpg

Still hard to beliebe that Namco developed football games :)

I see your Libero Grande and raise you this game: http://hol.abime.net/2356

...and of course, this: http://hol.abime.net/1086

Solid

So if me and my mate play a friendly game and he select Inter and I Chelsea (not london fc) the blues will have their official shirts?

Yagharek

Such a quandary this year.
Last year was Fifa 08's year, PES08 was rubbish (PS3 version) and a major disappointment. Though I also have a love-hate relationship with Fifa (broken teammate AI in single player, great fun in multiplayer with even playing field.) Just dont pick Newcastle.

So PES has been my preferred series since ISS Pro '98 on PS1, but Fifa 08 changed that. Used to be that PES was the better game but no-one recognised it and bought Fifa instead. Then last year Fifa was the better game but most people went for PES.

This year is a tough one though. Both Fifa 09 and PES 09 are better than Fifa 08. Fifa still feels like 08 though, but with improved passing via the meter. Still frustrating to get a good mix of players timing their runs, and stupid 'assistance' means you send the ball into a defender when you werent aiming that way. :/

Played the PES 09 demo (PS3) and fuck me does it run smooth. Goals seem harder to come by than Fifa, but also there is much more variety in build up play to get to a decent chance in the box.

Online isnt a factor for me. Im in a state that has shitty internet due to oversubscription/backhaul issues and telstra being arseholes. So even if PES was rubbish online, Fifa online would equal it for lag due to the shitty internet available to me.

Leaning towards PES at the very least. After last year I never thought Id say that.

spwolf

dk_ said:
No, because Fifa is overall slower than PES which makes it easier in the defense. My highest result was 4-1 online in >20 games.

You played FIFA recently?

you scored 4-1 in 10 minutes match? thats not football!!!! :lol

spwolf

RandomVince said:
Fifa still feels like 08 though, but with improved passing via the meter.

now isnt it funny how reviewers bag on PES for not moving forward when PES09 is much bigger change than Fifa09? Much, much bigger. Especially in gameplay which is almost competly changed, and also interface which is all new.

And I still love the AI... noticed yesterday how if you take corner closer to the keeper, few players will run into the box trying to score and surprise the defenders :D

Steroyd said:
He said back in the day, as in the PS1/PS2 Fifa's...

And the guy quoting him even bolded that part. A complete wat moment.
Bitches I can't wait to join in on the PES09 love. I still have to win all the tourneys in 08. Arghhh, I hate you all.

Yagharek

spwolf said:
now isnt it funny how reviewers bag on PES for not moving forward when PES09 is much bigger change than Fifa09? Much, much bigger. Especially in gameplay which is almost competly changed, and also interface which is all new.

And I still love the AI... noticed yesterday how if you take corner closer to the keeper, few players will run into the box trying to score and surprise the defenders :D

Fifa 08/9 are still a big improvement over the previous lot. A whole new engine will do that, so it maintains a lot of sway and will do for at least another version.

PES 09 is the game PES 08 should have been: the first next gen debut of the series. I think because it still fundamentally plays like PES PS2 games, people are a bit harsher on it. The PES savants are obviously going to buy it regardless, but they are also the ones who will be the only people able to tell you exactly what has changed. To everyone else, PES still seems the same. Which is a somewhat silly criticism when the game is still damn good.

I guess the improvements in Fifa over the past 3 years still seem new, and this gives it an edge over PES.

I get the impression anyway that PES this year has a hell of a lot to learn in order to improve in 2010. Engine re-write and all that aside, I think 09 will be a good game to stick with. I would love it though if they took some features from Fifa like saving replays (you could do it in PES3 at least) and post or share them online.

ElyrionX

spwolf said:

Well, PES08 was two steps back from PES07. PES09 is one step forward from PES08. So, we're actually still one step back from PES07.

I fail to see the part where PES moved forward.

spwolf

RandomVince said:
I think because it still fundamentally plays like PES PS2 games,.

fundamentally? You mean 11vs11, grass pitch, one ball, 3 refs, etc?

Because PES09 plays very little like PES07... If we are talking about gameplay, right?
Before stating this, people need to play few games of old PES, get grips of "awesome" ps2 AI, ability to score from 6 predefined positions, players chasing the ball into the out, and dead brain ai, you know, all the cool things about old pes :D

What you are saying is that Fifa 09 looks/feels new because 08 was new? :D .

Yagharek

spwolf said:
fundamentally? You mean 11vs11, grass pitch, one ball, 3 refs, etc?

Because PES09 plays very little like PES07... If we are talking about gameplay, right?
Before stating this, people need to play few games of old PES, get grips of "awesome" ps2 AI, ability to score from 6 predefined positions, players chasing the ball into the out, and dead brain ai, you know, all the cool things about old pes :D

What you are saying is that Fifa 09 looks/feels new because 08 was new? :D .

Not quite, Im typing incoherently :D

What I mean is that Fifa 09 is only the second game with the new engine. Or 3rd. (08, UEFA, 09).

The general perception is that PES has only received minor changes with each version, so there has been no marked improvement from one version to the next that makes people go "holy shit awesome!". The changes are incremental. Though I guess if you go back to PES06, PES3, etc then the change will be very noticeable. That's what Im getting at. Hell, the popular criticism is that its still made using the same engine as the PS2 games. (I dont know how much truth there is to that).

One thing I noticed from the PES09 demo is the menus. The substitution menus is a fucking genius example of sensible user interface. Subs are in line (horizontally) with their equivalent player on the pitch. So you dont have to go through 3 menu trees of notoriously slow Fifa loading menus to sub on Xisco for an injured Owen who gets unfairly hacked by cheating Stoke defenders. :lol (Yes, Im angry!!!!)

PES is out on the 30th locally (Australia). Fingers crossed I can convince a mate or two to get it as well.

vercity82

Konami unveils first PES 2009 club update as eagerly-awaited football epic hits stores across Europe…

As Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH’s PES 2009 hits stores today for PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360 and PC-DVD, the publisher has announced a free downloadable update for early November, expanding upon the games licensed teams and in-game elements.

The download will be available in about three weeks, and updates four Spanish sides – Athletico Madrid, Sevilla, Racing Santander and Valladolid, – all of whom will be officially licensed. Furthermore, it will also update the kits and team rosters of many teams within the game. The UEFA Champions League mode will also benefit from the new update, with twelve more teams added to the club list, with proper UEFA Champions League kits and kit markings added. Amongst the teams fully updated within this mode now will be Marseille, Juventus, and Basel.

The new raft of additions further demonstrate Konami’s commitment to expanding the licence roster in the PES series. Every aspect of PES 2009 has been reworked from the ground up, with new player models, AI elements and physics routines all combining to create the most advanced and realistic football game ever. The game also includes new Become a Legend and Legends mode, wherein players guide one player within a team either solo or online. Expanding upon this, the update also adds a new Theatre of Legends function which allows users to upload replay data for friends to view, and to view those of others.

The PES series has always been famed for its deep yet accessible control system, but the new game is aiming even higher. PES 2009 offers an unprecedented level of control, redefining the intricacies of first touch, close control and ball distribution, while also enhancing its shooting and AI mechanisms to create an all-round footballing experience. New control systems wherein the player can now perform tricks and feints without the use of special moves have been implemented, and the way the player guides the ball has been changed. The PES series has always treated the ball as a separate entity, but new calculations related to the air resistance and friction of the ground make passing and movement in PES 2009 a great deal more realistic.

“PES 2009 is already a million seller in pre-orders alone, but these new additions show how we are determined to continually improve the content of the game,” commented Jon Murphy PES European Team Leader for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “We hope the updated team data and new UEFA Champions League elements will show our ongoing support for PES 2009’s team rosters, and look to continually enhancing such sections in the coming year at no extra cost.”

So there we have it, news which will surely please PES players. We've been waiting for some concrete information on the DLC every since it was confirmed in an interview with Seabass, and here are the key points from this press release

* It's FREE
* It will be available in early November, NOT tomorrow as other sites reported
* Four new Spanish Licenses
* Updated rosters and kits
* Updated Champions League teams and badges
* Theatre of Legends mode

vercity82 said:
Konami unveils first PES 2009 club update as eagerly-awaited football epic hits stores across Europe…

As Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH’s PES 2009 hits stores today for PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360 and PC-DVD, the publisher has announced a free downloadable update for early November, expanding upon the games licensed teams and in-game elements.

The download will be available in about three weeks, and updates four Spanish sides – Athletico Madrid, Sevilla, Racing Santander and Valladolid, – all of whom will be officially licensed. Furthermore, it will also update the kits and team rosters of many teams within the game. The UEFA Champions League mode will also benefit from the new update, with twelve more teams added to the club list, with proper UEFA Champions League kits and kit markings added. Amongst the teams fully updated within this mode now will be Marseille, Juventus, and Basel.

The new raft of additions further demonstrate Konami’s commitment to expanding the licence roster in the PES series. Every aspect of PES 2009 has been reworked from the ground up, with new player models, AI elements and physics routines all combining to create the most advanced and realistic football game ever. The game also includes new Become a Legend and Legends mode, wherein players guide one player within a team either solo or online. Expanding upon this, the update also adds a new Theatre of Legends function which allows users to upload replay data for friends to view, and to view those of others.

The PES series has always been famed for its deep yet accessible control system, but the new game is aiming even higher. PES 2009 offers an unprecedented level of control, redefining the intricacies of first touch, close control and ball distribution, while also enhancing its shooting and AI mechanisms to create an all-round footballing experience. New control systems wherein the player can now perform tricks and feints without the use of special moves have been implemented, and the way the player guides the ball has been changed. The PES series has always treated the ball as a separate entity, but new calculations related to the air resistance and friction of the ground make passing and movement in PES 2009 a great deal more realistic.

“PES 2009 is already a million seller in pre-orders alone, but these new additions show how we are determined to continually improve the content of the game,” commented Jon Murphy PES European Team Leader for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “We hope the updated team data and new UEFA Champions League elements will show our ongoing support for PES 2009’s team rosters, and look to continually enhancing such sections in the coming year at no extra cost.”

So there we have it, news which will surely please PES players. We've been waiting for some concrete information on the DLC every since it was confirmed in an interview with Seabass, and here are the key points from this press release

* It's FREE
* It will be available in early November, NOT tomorrow as other sites reported
* Four new Spanish Licenses
* Updated rosters and kits
* Updated Champions League teams and badges
* Theatre of Legends mode

I was about to post this. Looks like Seabass wasn't kidding when he said there would be multiple updates throughout the year.

I wonder if this update will automatically be installed in the US version considering we aren't getting the game until November 11th.

Steroyd

They need to fix (more like implement) GoalKeeper Ai damnit. *shakes fist*

I know they treat the ball like a seperate entity but every goalkeeper i've played with have boxing gloves for hands. :_:

dk_

Blablurn said:
awesome <3 PES is so awesome.
It's just the frustration about PES 09 (the first year without a PES for me EVER) and assurance that nothing will change if people continue to buy it. :-/

dk_ said:
It's just the frustration about PES 09 (the first year without a PES for me EVER) and assurance that nothing will change if people continue to buy it. :-/

No one cares about your frustration though

I will be buying it

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
big F , PS3 vers all sold out here , only PS2 and X360 versions are available , I own both systems but i play PES/WE with D-pad and i want it on PS3 and store's dude told me to check again early next week , next freaking week :(

vercity82 said:
Update DLCs

Nice :D

ibu

few weeks till I can even get my copy :( man im so broke atm.

Jealous of all those who can play it....

All the online servers up yet or is it still down till official launch? (a whole 24 hrs away)

I think Konami should get another demo out the doors now and showcase the CL presentation and get more people on the bandwagon.

spwolf

Steroyd said:
They need to fix (more like implement) GoalKeeper Ai damnit. *shakes fist*

I know they treat the ball like a seperate entity but every goalkeeper i've played with have boxing gloves for hands. :_:

it is much better than before, i dont know what would really be realistic there - there are many situations where goaly will kick the ball out when the shot is too strong... plus your defence AI is also much better at collecting those balls. It is one of the bigger improvements over 08.

I know i keep repeating myself, it is just that i played shit load of PES08, so AI is just huge improvement in every aspect of the game.

spwolf

Totobeni said:
big F , PS3 vers all sold out here , only PS2 and X360 versions are available , I own both systems but i play PES/WE with D-pad and i want it on PS3 and store's dude told me to check again early next week , next freaking week :(

Nice :D

where is here? I cant get my distributor to tell me when the fucking thing will be for sale.

jts

...hate me...
^ would be the greatest thing ever.

I wonder what it happens if we patch the game ourselves, including team jerseys etc, and then update the game with the official patch that comes out in 3 weeks.

Blablurn

Several thoughts:

- online mode is fucking awesome. I even forget for a moment that i'm playing online because it runs so good :lol

- didn't know they added the allianz arena o_______O (it's called regenbogen in germany / might be "rainbow" in england) - my new favourite stadium <3

- Ribery is a fucking beast <3

- spain as well o-O

let me repeat this: online mode is fucking awesome

spwolf

mio said:
^ would be the greatest thing ever.

I wonder what it happens if we patch the game ourselves, including team jerseys etc, and then update the game with the official patch that comes out in 3 weeks.

it just overwrites stuff that you have updated i believe... if not, your update stays over it and you have to delete it manually

spwolf

Blablurn said:
Several thoughts:

- online mode is fucking awesome. I even forget for a moment that i'm playing online because it runs so good :lol

- didn't know they added the allianz arena o_______O (it's called regenbogen in germany / might be "rainbow" in england) - my new favourite stadium <3

- Ribery is a fucking beast <3

- spain as well o-O

let me repeat this: online mode is fucking awesome

boo boo, online sucks... thanks blaburn... ready for some online action?

ibu

chico said:
is there a patch for the 360 version? last time i checked 2 hours ago there was none...

game isn't officially out yet... nevermind a patch.

spwolf said:
it is much better than before, i dont know what would really be realistic there - there are many situations where goaly will kick the ball out when the shot is too strong... plus your defence AI is also much better at collecting those balls. It is one of the bigger improvements over 08.

I know i keep repeating myself, it is just that i played shit load of PES08, so AI is just huge improvement in every aspect of the game.

spwolf... is the freezing glitch sorted out from the demo... that does my head in when you do a great through ball and the player running on just stops. Or when you pass to a player and the computer deselects him so you can't move onto the ball?

Srider

Banned
spwolf said:

Yeah, AI is such a huge improvement. I played a match earlier losing 3-0 to the CPU, and it felt like I deserved it.

Srider said:
Yeah, AI is such a huge improvement. I played a match earlier losing 3-0 to the CPU, and it felt like I deserved it.

One of the differences that I am seeing between FIFA and Pro Evo is the CPU AI. The CPU AI in Pro Evo is so much more fun to play against. It's more creative and more representative of real soccer. Now, animations are a different story. FIFA "looks" more like real soccer simply based on the animations.

spwolf said:
mid week next week I will have it, i just called they said monday or tuesday +1 day to arrive here...

Are you in Europe? or you are in the US? I'm wondering what the connection will be like for trans-Atlantic games.

chico

ibu said:
game isn't officially out yet... nevermind a patch.

official release date here in germany is the 16.10.08... let me check my calender... ok, today is the 16.10. so where is the patch that improve my online play?

Blablurn

chico said:
official release date here in germany is the 16.10.08... let me check my calender... ok, today is the 16.10. so where is the patch that improve my online play?

nobody cares about the 360 in europe :/

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just got the game, immediately went online and played a couple of games(won both games). So what are you guys game ID? Mine is Ramza.

Top Bottom