• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Return of the King - Official Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Thread

Ryck

kaizoku said:
Actually the only thing I couldnt stand about previous games was the scripting ....

If this game fixes that, all will be well in the world. I want an equal contest where we have the same tools.
It appears it has not.(been fixed) Im gonna play a few matches right now...

-viper-

Banned
Ryck said:
It appears it has not. Im gonna play a few matches right now...
Based on the demo it appears to be scripted. I also love how the CPU is always able to stick to my players yet when I try the same, I fail.

Ryck

-viper- said:
Based on the demo it appears to be scripted. I also love how the CPU is always able to stick to my players yet when I try the same, I fail.
Yeah thats what I meant... it has not been fixed.. the scripting... played a few more games and its starting to grow on me.. Im starting to enjoy the passing a bit more now.

Yagharek

I'm addicted to the demo now. Can scrape out 0-0 draws as Italy vs France on top player difficulty, with a few really close goal opportunities nearly landing me a win. Passing in this game is very satisfying.

I went from "not buying PES until a major revision" after 2008, to "definitely buying 09" based on the demo. Top stuff.

Blablurn

Controlling the defense is a fucking joke. It's almost impossible to defend a player like eto'o or rooney. and you know what sucks? When you press L1 to change the player, they always stop running for a second which gives the striker some extra space.

jax (old)

Banned
everytime I see this thread, I think its the LOTR ea beatemup (which were quite good and fun) and thought maybe they made a next gen version.

soccer? /snore

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Blablurn said:
Controlling the defense is a fucking joke. It's almost impossible to defend a player like eto'o or rooney. and you know what sucks? When you press L1 to change the player, they always stop running for a second which gives the striker some extra space.

:lol dude. you're kinda putting me off making a purchase... I can't tell if its because you suck or because the dribbling is still super powered. :D

FIFA is no different by the way, the only reason dribbles are so hard in FIFA is because not only is the defending lame, the attacker is pathetic.

Steroyd

Blablurn said:

You suck dude I was able to shut out my cousin where he was Barcelona and I was Helsinki.

You have to have more faith in the Ai otherwise 2 defenders get sucked out of position.

Blablurn said:
Liverpool Rule

Fixed.

Did anyone here buy the new 360 pad for this? If you play with the D-pad its definitely better than the standard one(although I didnt "mod" it) means I can finally play this on the 360.

Also any tips for legends mode? I managed to get on the bench for Pompy after a few training games, got brought on in the second half 5 mins later Traore gets sent off and they subbed me! Fucking Redknapp.

-viper-

Banned
Blablurn said:
I hate it when that happens.

Another thing I hate is how Tevez breezes past some of my players such as Puyol yet Vidic ALWAYS catches up to Messi.

Oh and Eto'o appears to have a first touch of a rapist.

The game is so unresponsive.

Blablurn said:
please answer this man!
No, this year it's a seperate mode. Seabass was honestly surprised that the "suits" were able to get it, albeit a bit late in the development process. That is why you are seeing them releasing an update which includes more licensed teams in that mode in a couple of weeks. They have the CL for 4 years so I would expect them to integrate it into the ML next year.

HOWEVER, we don't now what the licensing issues are with the CL. UEFA may not want Konami to incorporate it into other modes and want it to remain a seperate mode.

Kinan

Damn, be a legend mode is awesome. Sucking all my time so far, I want my player to be awesome, and he is getting better and better! Recently I scored an important goal and when I was exchanged in the end of the game, the coach gave me a warm hug. So cool, really rewarding. I stayed in ManCity for another season, but I think I may leave to some club with higher rating in the winter already.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so got mine this morning , I am alone this year , most of my friends went to the other football game , some of them did that because of Messi ( Brazil National team fans ) , but I usually play with them offline since we are all from the same fucking town , so no problem here .

20 or so matches so far , lost first two in regular :lol , but this is absolutely better than PES 2008 in performance wise on PS3 no glitches so far , saves are good and fast no PS3 problems , I like the cross passes and shooting from hard angles is good too , lefty players are not useless anymore .

commentaries is so good too and better than those annoying Idiots in FIFA 09 , the old european style Commentary in PES series was freaking sad , but i still think old Winning Eleven japanese guys are the best ( even when i don't understand shit ) they were are so much energetic and fresh ( play any WE and you will know ) .

Legend is so interesting , I may spend a lot of time there , scored my first goal was kinda funny , give me a different feel it was mine not the team , but the rating suck tho , just 6 ? WTH but i lead the freaking team to win , poor midfielders are always underrated , :(

it's very good PES , better than the past three past shit that Seabass gave us , online is still brutal to slower internet connection and I hate the grass when you play with the camera in replay it look so wrong , but yeah "Pro Evolution Soccer Revolution-Reloaded-Edition 2010 will fix that ..I trust in you SEABASS .

Totobeni said:
so got mine this morning , I am alone this year , most of my friends went to the other football game , some of them did that because of Messi ( Brazil National team fans ) , but I usually play with them offline since we are all from the same fucking town , so no problem here .

20 or so matches so far , lost first two in regular :lol , but this is absolutely better than PES 2008 in performance wise on PS3 no glitches so far , saves are good and fast no PS3 problems , I like the cross passes and shooting from hard angles is good too , lefty players are not useless anymore .

commentaries is so good too and better than those annoying Idiots in FIFA 09 , the old european style Commentary in PES series was freaking sad , but i still think old Winning Eleven japanese guys are the best ( even when i don't understand shit ) they were are so much energetic and fresh ( play any WE and you will know ) .

Legend is so interesting , I may spend a lot of time there , scored my first goal was kinda funny , give me a different feel it was mine not the team , but the rating suck tho , just 6 ? WTH but i lead the freaking team to win , poor midfielders are always underrated , :(

it's very good PES , better than the past three past shit that Seabass gave us , online is still brutal to slower internet connection and I hate the grass when you play with the camera in replay it look so wrong , but yeah "Pro Evolution Soccer Revolution-Reloaded-Edition 2010 will fix that ..I trust in you SEABASS .

The guest on this podcast sez PES 2010 will be based on this game and will NOT have some brand new next-gen engine. Who knows if he is correct or not??

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/news/podcast-riot-reacts-final-verdict/

spwolf

Blablurn said:

still not used to it, eh? good, good :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Arsenal vs Manchester , 5-2 , with 7 player offline game , this is so good , one dude plays with a freaking BD remote before we found the missing Sixaxis :lol

spwolf said:
still not used to it, eh? good, good :D

well some players like Super Etoooo , Messidona and almighty C " i am too handsome and too good " Ronaldo are just Super human and unstoppable in PES 2009 , they should have make them normal , look at Kaka he is complete joke in this game just Like in real life .

Blablurn

Kinan said:
Damn, be a legend mode is awesome. Sucking all my time so far, I want my player to be awesome, and he is getting better and better! Recently I scored an important goal and when I was exchanged in the end of the game, the coach gave me a warm hug. So cool, really rewarding. I stayed in ManCity for another season, but I think I may leave to some club with higher rating in the winter already.

yeah, i just played for two hours straight :lol I love it <3

ibu

I like this years version although have you noticed there is that annoying bug whereby if you pass it into the box when attacking or are following up a rebound your player freezes?

I still have not played it online as Konami ID sucks balls and cant be arsed to go through the whole sequence of registering.

Played Champs League mode through to completion, gameplay is much improved although the passing still needs work as do through balls.

Its a bit too easy in my eyes though... the only time it gets harder is when the computer cheats and de-selects but im still unbeaten.

I'll be online at some point... but ill only come online after I finish my house move.

psn: ibu666

spwolf

Totobeni said:
well some players like Super Etoooo , Messidona and almighty C " i am too handsome and too good " Ronaldo are just Super human and unstoppable in PES 2009 , they should have make them normal , look at Kaka he is complete joke in this game just Like in real life .

i play against ManU all the time, doesnt seem that bad... but the defense needs to be worked differently from 08. If anything, super powers have been toned down considerably compared to 08.

jts

...hate me...
Srider said:
I suck at Be a legend mode... can't even make bench. :(
Easy, it takes time... for me it was only at the 13th match, after getting lots of consecutive good rates.

I sucked at the negotiations period though, had proposals from Ajax and Valencia on day 1, had to settle with Maiorca on day 4 :/

I'm loving this shit.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
oh fuck it I want this game now, Blaburn said he loves it.

what kind of online action are we looking at guys? We can play be a legend online right? anyone fancy making a gaf PS3 team?

(dont even know if its possible or worthwhile at this stage)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DC R1D3R said:

Why is that news? PES is about as "Playstation Family" of a series as you can get. PES 2007 was an absolute abortion on 360, not to mention that to many it is a d-pad game and thus also best suited for PS3 (whereas the converse is true of FIFA). Case in point, I basically bought a PS3 to play PES 2008 (whoops) even though I already owned a 360. Did 2008 sell more on 360? Maybe the PS3 userbase was low enough at the time but yeeaah.

f@luS

More than a member.
because it outsell it in the UK and usually even for pes , it should be the 360 ahead.
It means that in PAL land (biggest continent for pes) PS3 Numbers will destroy 360 i think

DC R1D3R

Banned
AstroLad said:
Why is that news? PES is about as "Playstation Family" of a series as you can get. PES 2007 was an absolute abortion on 360, not to mention that to many it is a d-pad game and thus also best suited for PS3 (whereas the converse is true of FIFA). Case in point, I basically bought a PS3 to play PES 2008 (whoops) even though I already owned a 360. Did 2008 sell more on 360? Maybe the PS3 userbase was low enough at the time but yeeaah.

Certainly grabbed your attention I see.

JardeL

Game is still easy , even at Top Player mode .. I can say it is a little harder to play compared to 08 .. Everybody mentions improved AI but I see nothing there , just take the ball and spin 360 around yourself , defence is gone.. Or keep changing direction while dribbling , not even Puyol can catch you lol. While pressing , players always stop when they come close to opponent , or skating !

And ref , he loves his yellow card a lot , %75 of fouls comes with a yellow card ... Played 30-40 matches at demo and only conceeded 2 goals , won %95 of all matches .. I'm not that good just game sucks ...

Also animations are crap compared to FIFA09 ...

I dont get why people loved PES09 so much , PES08 was crap but PES09 is not much better than PES08 ...

Yasser

Kinan said:
man i must suck at it, my center forward is still a bumbling retard after 5 or 6 practice matches. i managed to score 2 and both were rebounds :p any tips?:D

They seriously need to fix the PC version. pretty much every mode eventually ends in corrupted save games. Can't play quarter final 2nd leg of champs league with any team :/

jts

...hate me...
EnthusiasTech said:
I dont get why people loved PES09 so much , PES08 was crap but PES09 is not much better than PES08 ...
Because the only problems of 2008 (for me) were the framerate issues, and the eye-hurting pitches. Those are solved, and plus now there is...

Become A fucking Legend!

..and UEFA Champions League.
:D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Srider said:
I suck at Be a legend mode... can't even make bench. :(

no patience huh

anyway striker ? if so meh , when i creat a Center Midfielder he was there in no time , now he is always in the startline , striker may get rating higher but with Center Midfielder you can prove yourself more with more play time in the match , more passes ,crosses , high balls ect

Srider

Banned
Totobeni said:
no patience huh

anyway striker ? if so meh , when i creat a Center Midfielder he was there in no time , now he is always in the startline , striker may get rating higher but with Center Midfielder you can prove yourself more with more play time in the match , more passes ,crosses , high balls ect

I'm playing winger... With Wigan atm, and finally made bench. They usually put me in as a side mid fielder, waiting for my stats to improve as I can't dribble or run for shit just yet. Had offers from 4 teams though during the first transfer window, which was surprising to me. One from Newcastle...so I stayed.

Is there any bonus from signing with a team that gives you a higher salary? Would my stats go up faster with a higher salary? I don't see the importance of salary in Become a Legend mode.

I might start over though, cause I screwed up the team selection in the beginning, so no Italian teams to compete in the champions league :(

November patch needs to come quick so I can start my master league.

jts

...hate me...
2nd Season and i got stuck in Mallorca. Sucks. Had a nice proposal from Betis but again it was early on on the transfer period, so i waited for something bigger and got screwed since they removed the proposal. I guess it serves me right.

I'm an SS, but also play as CF or OCM (i dunno if these acronyms are correct, as my game's in portuguese language). It's really tough to score a goal with my low stats, playing in Top Player mode.

FF_VIII

Banned
Got the 360 version (GT Drunken Hobo 85). Only rented it though 'cause of last years.

It's pretty meh so far.

Played a Champions League match first and won comfortably 2-1. Would've been 2-0, but the AI cheated. They scored one of those goals you can't stop right at the end. Ball noise is still there from the demo, but not as loud. Still annoying though.

Haven't played a master league since the 1st one so I won't be playing that.

The squads being out of date is ridiculous. Yes, I can manually change it or use an option file, but that won't jack when I go online (which is the main reason for me now)

Online is still shit. It lags less. Players still get stuck, but at least teleporting is gone. Trying to find a match is a pain. Didn't like the rooms in 6, so I still hate them now. It's annoying having to find people who don't have crap connections. Last guy I played was red :/

Nowhere near as fluid as Fifa is. Can't say it's perfect (because nothing is!) but it barely (if ever) lags at all. I don't even think Fifa use dedicated servers (do they) so how do they have such a superior online to Konami's?

After today's playing it's safe to say I won't be buying, but I still have a week left so hopefully it gets better.

spwolf

mio said:
2nd Season and i got stuck in Mallorca. Sucks. Had a nice proposal from Betis but again it was early on on the transfer period, so i waited for something bigger and got screwed since they removed the proposal. I guess it serves me right.

I'm an SS, but also play as CF or OCM (i dunno if these acronyms are correct, as my game's in portuguese language). It's really tough to score a goal with my low stats, playing in Top Player mode.

thats so real life too :D

spwolf

EnthusiasTech said:
Game is still easy , even at Top Player mode .. I can say it is a little harder to play compared to 08 .. Everybody mentions improved AI but I see nothing there , just take the ball and spin 360 around yourself , defence is gone.. Or keep changing direction while dribbling , not even Puyol can catch you lol. While pressing , players always stop when they come close to opponent , or skating !

And ref , he loves his yellow card a lot , %75 of fouls comes with a yellow card ... Played 30-40 matches at demo and only conceeded 2 goals , won %95 of all matches .. I'm not that good just game sucks ...

Also animations are crap compared to FIFA09 ...

why did you play 40 games of the game that you think sucks?

(it took me 3 games of FIFA09 to make certain I will never touch it again, even with long stick)

JardeL

spwolf said:
why did you play 40 games of the game that you think sucks?

(it took me 3 games of FIFA09 to make certain I will never touch it again, even with long stick)
To be fair on my review maybe ?.. Give it another chance ?.. Try to love it because , everybody around me plays Pes ?:D

FF_VIII

Banned
Man, I hate the game even more now :(

Too many things wrong it to like it anymore, taking it back.

Be a legend is a poor man's Be A Pro. It's archaic compared to Fifa's. You can't even ask for the ball and there's no in game bar telling you if your performance is good or not. I spent most of the game trying to get someone to pass me the ball.

Online still sucks. Hoping it was just bad luck yesterday, but it's exactly the same. Screen tearing and the ball sticking is game breaking. Not to mention everyone I played picked Barca.

Goalkeepers always parry the ball. Most times its to the opposition striker who has an easy tap in.

If a striker is running at your defender and you change to him he stops and the striker is already gone.

Game is terrible, imo.

Top Bottom