• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons 600 Marathon |OT| | Starting Thursday at Noon EST / 9am PST on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my free trial of PlayStation Vue yesterday (it seems pretty cool) and had this on during the background while preparing for Thanksgiving. My girlfriend and I watched several episodes. She's never really seen the show before but she was into it. Going to try and watch "Lisa's Substitute" on demand with her later since it came on at 4 AM here.

Mazre

"the carefree days of the Great Depression"

Don't know how many times I've seen the soapbox derby episode and completely missed that line.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Haha wow that joke about who ever got famous using a yoyo had some names in it. Donald Trump and Bill Cosby.

UberTag

Career
Aptitude
Normalizing
Test
Separate Vocations is another of my personal faves.
Love how Lisa excels at being bad in ways her brother wouldn't dare tread as she rebels against her deemed fate in nihilistic fashion.
This is such a fascinating character study of both of the elder Simpsons kids and I love how their respective plot lines expertly converge at the end.
This might also be one of Alf Clausen's best episodes as a composer.

I'm going to take this opportunity to share not one - but MULTIPLE - Simpsons podcasts online as they've all tackled this episode at various junctures.

- Four Finger Discount
- The Simpsons Show
- Talking Simpsons

George Meyer seldom gets mentioned when the fabled Simpsons writers of the Classic era get discussed but he was always such a perfectionist about his contributions to the show.
He brought a layer of demanding self-critique to the writer's room that is sorely missing today.

Akim

Banned
ET4YrT1.gif

UberTag

How long will it take to marathon all the episodes?
We started at noon yesterday and are going until late in the night on Tuesday, November 6th.
So roughly 12 1/2 days (bearing in mind that episodes 601 through 604) aren't being included.

And Episode 605, The Last Traction Hero, premieres while the marathon is still underway.
It's running opposite the laziest episode in the show's entire history, The D'oh-cial Network, which hardly needs to be watched again by anyone - except by the writing staff as a lesson of what NOT to do.

UberTag

Older Simpsons episodes had such a tender emotional core at the center of all the comedy.
This is a big reason why I champion the very few instances where traces of tender emotion surface in modern HD era episodes.
It almost feels like a mistake when it happens because they've distanced themselves from what they were so much.

There's probably no clearer contrast to this difference in approaches than between Colonel Homer (which is airing right now) and Season 19's Papa Don't Leech (when Lurleen's father returns and hijacks her song for the Dixie Chicks).

Akim

Banned
Anyone else get a little nostalgic and sad for your youth watching these episodes? Maybe it's the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom