• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Simpsons 600 Marathon |OT| | Starting Thursday at Noon EST / 9am PST on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time because of this episode
A Clockwork Orange might be the most satirized movie over the entire run of the show. I can't think of too many others that could give it a run except for possibly Planet of the Apes.

A Clockwork Orange might be the most satirized movie over the entire run of the show. I can't think of too many others that could give it a run except for possibly Planet of the Apes.

Citizen Kane and/or Psycho? Considering how two characters have a lot of aspects lifted from each movie respectively.

gaiadyne

I re watched that treehouse of horror where they parodied it after watching the movie and I was able to pick up on all the references but I wish it was during an earlier season when I think they could have pulled it off better

UberTag

This string of episodes until 2am tonight is arguably the strongest in the entire show's run.
Nothing but classics.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Bart! Why are you doing that?!

LszVboV.jpg

"The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races"

Sanjuro

Did they HD these? They look better than I remember. DVD's certainly don't look this good.

They do not look better than the DVDs.

They Mario 64 start screened them. Zoom, stretch, clean up, depixelate. Sometimes the result is okay though. There is no HD source.

RPGCrazied

They do not look better than the DVDs.

They Mario 64 start screened them. Zoom, stretch, clean up, depixelate. Sometimes the result is okay though. There is no HD source.

Maybe I'll check them. I have the first 13 seasons on DVD. They just seem cleaner than I remember.

BatDan

"I like stories"

40 years to see the movie. Doesn't really work knowing the accessibility of DVD/Blu-Ray/Streaming. Ah well.

BigAT

I think the Simpsons was what introduced me to the idea that people hated Jimmy Carter. As a youth I just knew him as the nice, folksy former president that spent his time helping people with Habitat for Humanity. I had no idea how unpopular his presidency was.

UberTag

I think the Simpsons was what introduced me to the idea that people hated Jimmy Carter. As a youth I just knew him as the nice, folksy former president that spent his time helping people with Habitat for Humanity. I had no idea how unpopular his presidency was.
Who doesn't love breakdancing Jimmy Carter?

Gif4.gif

I wonder what other undoubtedly popular future presidents have been portrayed similarly on The Simpsons...

giphy.gif

BigAT

Does season 4 have the most interior shots of a beating heart of any season? Between Burns' dead heart in this episode and the several times in Homer's Triple Bypass, someone on the team must have really loved that gag.

Tom Jones blasting over the depressed employees with the funny hats is a great bit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
They're right smack in the middle of the golden episodes. 😁

Hazmat

This is the show at its best. There's a run of four episodes coming up that has Marge vs the Monorail, Selma's Choice, and I Love Lisa. Three of my absolute favorites.

BatDan

I'm surprised Laura never showed up again. It's not like Sara Gilbert is that busy.

BigAT

The only real shame of this marathon each year is how many great episodes are on at absolutely unwatchable hours. Cape Feare/Homer Goes to College at 5:00-5:30 AM is a bummer.

401850.gif

vypek

Laura, girl from Utah who is pregnant, Shonda .... Bart really seems to fall for older girls. There might be more. IDK if the girl from juvie was the same age as Bart

EDIT: From a post below I guess her name is Shauna and not Shonda lol

BatDan

The refrigerator comparison scene!

Laura, girl from Utah who is pregnant, Shonda .... Bart really seems to fall for older girls. There might be more. IDK if the girl from juvie was the same age as Bart

I think the older women aspect in later seasons come from writers wanting to write Bart older but they can't physically him older.

vypek

"1094" Evergreen Terrace. That changes a few times. I mostly remember it as 742. I wonder what address was the first to be mentioned

UberTag

I'm surprised Laura never showed up again. It's not like Sara Gilbert is that busy.
Laura's character model materialized for the first-time in a long while in this year's Treehouse of Horror installment so that's something.

Laura%20Powers.png

I don't count that as a reappearance, though. Just like I don't count the dozens of non-speaking appearances of Jessica Lovejoy, either... three of which were plot-related. That character would never be the same without Meryl.

They'd actually be more enthused about using Laura again if Sara Gilbert WAS busy and they had something of hers to promote. That's why they brought back the Zooey Deschanel-voiced Mary for a grand total of 3 episodes... seemingly to do nothing but sing lame songs.

It's probably better that Laura doesn't show up again as they'd be apt to write her like Shauna Chalmers. And let's not forget that they brought Laura's mom, Ruth, back one time too many. I could have done without seeing her again in Strong Arms of the Ma where she was wasted.

Recasting characters isn't unheard of, either. Manjula was infamously recast prior to Jan Hooks' death but Krusty's daughter, Sophie is getting recast for a Christmas episode airing next month. Instead of Drew Barrymore who, like Sara, is also decidedly unbusy outside of her exec producer gigs, they have Natasha Lyonne voicing her now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom