• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Superman S-Shield: Alien symbol vs S for Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Girl would be so ashamed

tumblr_lanktpVYVV1qbujox.jpg

4343287-kara+dons+the+'s'.jpg

MisterHero

I like the pseudo-Infinity symbol from Kryptonese writing. It's close but not a complete likeness to the English letter.

The shield is whatever Superman makes of it. Of course, the greatest symbol of hope for the universe is about as far as you can go.

Your face was designed to wear a mask most of the time
image.php

Sorastitch said:
I really loved seeing the suit again in "God's Not Dead"
wut

Ophelion

I think the house coat of arms stuff is kind of clever, but it might be unnecessarily clever. I think it comes from the necessary place of Clark not being the kind of guy that would name is alter ego Superman. Therefore, someone else must've done it. If Ma made the costume for him, maybe she comes up with it. That's workable, but I do like Lois naming Superman the best.

...So ultimately I guess I come down on the side of the coat of arms thing, but kind of by default. Not because it is unilaterally the best possible decision in my mind.

a916

I'm torn on what I think the best S Shield is. Routh's and Cavill's are both really good IMO.

The shape of Routh's? Sure.. the size of it? Nah... it was comically small.

superman-routh-vs-cavill.jpg

The House of El or a symbol for hope, either or both are perfectly fine by me. MoS has the best S logo though. (Kingdom Come being a very close second)

Sephzilla

The shape of Routh's? Sure.. the size of it? Nah... it was comically small.

superman-routh-vs-cavill.jpg

The House of El or a symbol for hope, either or both are perfectly fine by me. MoS has the best S logo though.

I like the smaller S symbol because it kind of makes the actor look a tad more buff as a result IMO.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still want to know what the deal was with Superman throwing the shield at people in Superman II.

I still want to know what the deal was with Superman throwing the shield at people in Superman II.

This is from the shooting script:

EFFECTS: Quickly, in a dazzling display, Superman puts his hand to his chest. Magically,
the "S SHIELD" emblazoned there becomes a literal object in his hand while its "original"
remains on the costume. It shimmers and shines with an energy force that clearly connotes
immense power .

Superman flings it like a discus.

394 The effect on Non as the "S SHIELD" hits him and wraps around him.

395 ON ZOD -- He looks worried. He is beginning to realize that Superman, on his home turf, has powers and devices at his command beyond their comprehension.

It seems the cellophane S was implied to be a device/trap that Superman had set up. Clearly it was supposed to be a hologram since it disappears instantly after Non falls. Admittedly, the movie didn't really make this clear.

Why did they design Routh's costume to look like plain ol' underarmor. I'll never get that. Dude looked like he was wearing superman jammies with that neckline.

Slayven

Why did they design Routh's costume to look like plain ol' underarmor. I'll never get that. Dude looked like he was wearing superman jammies with that neckline.

Why did they grow a whole cornfield for that movie?

You start questiong Superman Returns and you will never stop

i think they wanted it to look like spandex, so it looks like they used some material with spandex over it

despite the fact everybody always jokes about superheroes wearing spandex, spandex looks awful when used for a superhero costume

10 mil for a "return to krypton" scene they ended up cutting and replacing with a single title card.

holy shit

is there a deleted scene of this somewhere

edit found it: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/superman-returns-deleted-opening-scene-216110

G-Fex

Returns is good, sure the neckline and the way the cape is tucked in does bother me and stuff but I still manage to like the movie, fruit roll up cape and all.

Especially hilarious how they changed him for the video game, making him suddenly a giant beefcake superman

NEO0MJ

Returns is good, sure the neckline and the way the cape is tucked in does bother me and stuff but I still manage to like the movie, fruit roll up cape and all.

Routh seems to have been pretty well built for the film, but the costume did a terrible job at highlighting it.

MisterHero

I wonder if they will explain how MoS Clark wears the suit. Like does he have a team of robots that sew him into the suit or what

The MoS suit looks nice and all but it looks like it weighs 20 pounds too

Especially hilarious how they changed him for the video game, making him suddenly a giant beefcake superman

Yeah, if I were and actor and game-me looked like that, I'd probably end up with some kind of inadequacy issue.

Why did they grow a whole cornfield for that movie?

You start questiong Superman Returns and you will never stop

You know what would've justified growing a cornfield? A superman living in isolation in his fortress of solitude cornfield like Kingdom Come.

Because Superman Returns should have just been Kingdom Come.

Bryan Singer's never accurately adapted anything in his life outside of "Apt Pupil"

No way he would have been able to get Kingdom Come down. No way Warners would have given him the budget to do it right, either.

As it was, he still botched the relatively smaller-scale Superman movie he did get to make.

Bryan Singer's never accurately adapted anything in his life outside of "Apt Pupil"

No way he would have been able to get Kingdom Come down. No way Warners would have given him the budget to do it right, either.

As it was, he still botched the relatively smaller-scale Superman movie he did get to make.

What's funny is that Superman: Up, Up, and Away came out the very same year as Returns and executed the concept much better. I would recommend it.

250px-Superman_650.jpg

I like it standing for Super Man the alien symbol of arm's thing sounds really dumb and seems like a weak attempt at trying to make Super Man more serious than it needs to be.

How much longer until the rage of Power Girl "fans" (aka. creepy pervs who just want to look at 2D tits) manage to get this reversed like the last time they tried to get rid of the boob window?

it's been six-ish months since then.

she also was folded into earth 2 and so you don't see very much of her anways, at least not as much as when she was part of the world's finest line

I mean no matter what the "canon truth" or whatever bullshit is, it's an 'S'.

I also hate when they try to redesign it. It's one of the most well known symbols ever for a reason.

Slayven

How much longer until the rage of Power Girl "fans" (aka. creepy pervs who just want to look at 2D tits) manage to get this reversed like the last time they tried to get rid of the boob window?
*Sensible chuckle* it always come back , the banana suit couldn't kill it, and I am sure Johns is a fqn.

You know what would've justified growing a cornfield? A superman living in isolation in his fortress of solitude cornfield like Kingdom Come.

I bet marvel is building a cornfield for the end of Infinity Wars 2

Ahasverus

Crest for life, specially the MoS one with its alien design. An S would mean he wanted to be called Superman which goes against Clark's humility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom