• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swapper is a brilliant puzzle game (that got mostly ignored)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's been weeks since I beat The Swapper and I still think about the game pretty much every day. So here's a thread, because this game deserves all the attention it can get. It's weird that's there's so little love for this game, on this forum nonetheless. Couldn't believe it when I searched and found an OT of only 3 pages.

If you're not aware of the basic concept: you're stranded on a planet, you need to get off. To do so, you have to solve puzzles using a Swapper device. You can create up to 4 clones of yourself that move when you move, and jump when you jump. You can even swap consciousness with a clone, making the others empty disposable vessels.

HG8xZh3.jpg

The puzzles themselves are so smart and satisfying to solve, that I quickly promised myself not to succumb to a guide for this. It's simply too rewarding to figure them out yourself. The puzzles get challenging fast, but they're designed in a way that the solution always seems within reach. And if you're stuck, a break to clear your mind works wonders. Sometimes the solution was more straightforward than I thought, but the more devious ones are more complicated than they first seem. Apart from one incredibly tough puzzle that I read a vague hint for, I solved everything myself and I couldn't remember another puzzler where that felt so good.

The Swapper could've just been a series of brilliant puzzles, but it doesn't stop there. The developers actually created an interesting universe around them. They added philosophical depth to the core idea of swapping, and a big part of the (surprisingly great) story revolves around the clones and the concept of a soul and the complexity of mind and matter. The story resonates because you are constantly hands-on with the overarching theme of the game. The memorable finale is a culmination of all this. Rarely do you get such a flawless fusion of gameplay, concept and story.

There's also the unique aesthetic: there a claymation look to it all, and it's convincing because The Swapper was actually hand-crafted beforehand:

To top it off, there are the numerous echoes of Metroid and Alien, giving you an eerie sense of isolation. There's even a typical metroidvania map and hidden rooms with logs.These are all just nods though, the game is still a puzzle game at heart.

The Swapper is a gem... that unfortunately a lot of people seem to be sleeping on. You shouldn't, because it's available on every platform out there. Play it, it's brilliant.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Probably my favourite puzzle game after Braid of the last couple of years, the OST is godlike too.

SerTapTap

Amazing game, good puzzles, fantastic art style, super creepy feel--more effective at creating a horror atmosphere than most horror games.

It's a shame that "puzzle platformer" seems to turn off people's brains 95% of the time, not sure it could have been anything but a mild success. But hey, was big enough to be worth porting to PS4/Vita so it can't have done too horribly.

GorillaJu

I don't really feel like it's been ignored. It got a lot of positive press and reactions, especially for a game of such small budget.

dralla

I don't enjoy puzzle games. I didn't care for Braid, or Limbo, or Fez, or any others. I got The Swapper free from PS Plus and I loved it. It's hard to say why exactly. I love the look and the atmosphere, but it's more than that. I played through it twice and I'll probably play through again once I forget all of the solutions. The last puzzle (the one linked in the OP) is devious as hell.

Chris R

Really liked it when I played it to 100% completion earlier this year. Nice ramp up in difficulty with nothing insanely hard.

Fdkn

I don't think the swapper was ignored at all. It got plenty of coverage and awards. If you only played it a few weeks ago, you were the one ignoring it tbh

inm8num2

I've posted about it a few times the last couple weeks - one of the best puzzle platformers ever made. It's just so damn good - great puzzles, great atmosphere, great story.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I really enjoyed it as well, just a really solid game all around. The ending was surprisingly poignant too.

Google

I don't really feel like it's been ignored. It got a lot of positive press and reactions, especially for a game of such small budget.

Agreed. It got some good buzz on it's released on PC a couple of years back and got another bump recently with PS Plus.

Guevara

I very much enjoyed it too. Not just the setting/tone/atmosphere, but also the puzzle mechanics.

One of the best PS+ games in recent memory.

It's my favourite story-based puzzle game since portal. Even though the game is real time the puzzles don't require high reaction times or anything, it's all about solving puzzles.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
But hey, was big enough to be worth porting to PS4/Vita so it can't have done too horribly.

It was a PS+ freebie a while ago iirc, so a lot of people should've played it, but I doubt many finished it since the puzzles get quite challenging even early on. The ideas and concept grabbed me 100% though, even thought about puzzles at work. I was obsessed with this game for a few days.

I don't think the swapper was ignored at all. It got plenty of coverage and awards. If you only played it a few weeks ago, you were the one ignoring it tbh

It was in my steam library for a year, I was looking for the right time/mood to play it, which was my summer vacation. I can assure you I didn't ignore it. I was aware of the good press, but I was mostly referring to the lack of talk about it here, but I could be wrong about that. Seems it didn't get a lot of attention here.

bender

What time is it?
I don't think it was ignored at all. The Swapper and Gunpoint were two of my favorite games of 2013.

Guevara

As I recall, it was one of the first indies to breach the $19.99 price on consoles.

And I imagine it suffered somewhat as a result.

Javier23

Banned
Funny. Just started and finished the game today. I wasn't expecting it to be so short, took me about three hours? But I loved every second. And I just got my mind blown seeing how the Theseus was handcrafted before. I was wondering about the claymation look. Now I got my answer.

The puzzle you mention was indeed the one that took me the longest. I just couldn't get the two guys on the buttons on place with an extra clone left to use to get the orbs. Before long I was on autopilot with a blank mind trying to find the proper movement combination, and I somehow managed to find it without even being sure how... I have a faint idea what might have done it, but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, awesome game. Finnish too. They make great games up there.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The puzzle you mention was indeed the one that took me the longest. I just couldn't get the two guys on the buttons on place with an extra clone left to use to get the orbs. Before long I was on autopilot with a blank mind trying to find the proper movement combination, and I somehow managed to find it without even being sure how... I have a faint idea what might have done it, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'll admit here that I was stuck on that puzzle for hours. You don't want to know how much time was spent staring at that one screen. It cost me so much time I eventually caved and looked for a hint. When i finally got it I just couldn't believe it was so much more straightforward than the crazy schemes and plans I thought would lead me to it. It's the one puzzle I'll never forget the solution for.

impact

Banned
As I recall, it was one of the first indies to breach the $19.99 price on consoles.

And I imagine it suffered somewhat as a result.

all I know is free on PS+ is the best price an indie game can be.

The Swapper is definitely one of the best PS4 games to be on PS+

I think I got about halfway through the PS4 version, but then I just... lost interest, I don't know. The puzzles got too obnoxious for their own good, I guess? But I also don't have a lot of patience for puzzles, so it's probably just me.

I did like the atmosphere and the overall idea of the body-swapping mechanic. I should just watch an LP to see how the story ends, as it was fairly interesting!

I would recommend this game to someone looking for something a little different - as long as they have patience for slower, puzzle-heavy platformers.

Gaz_RB

It came at the height of a indie side scroller puzzler fatigue, and so people sort of passed it up. I liked it quite a bit.

EGM1966

Really liked it. Played it on PS4 and Vita. The tone was good with a nice little SF narrative behind the rewarding puzzles. The cumulative effect was interesting and the final "puzzle" felt well earned and had satisfying payoff emotionally.

I real little gem of a game.

It is a superb game! Highly recommended!

All puzzles were very doable but for some reason the 4 buttons to open 4 consecutive doors just really broke my brain. That was the only one I needed help on. :( I'm an idiot then presumably.

BratmanDu

Quality game for sure, played on wii u. Story and voice acting were pretty good too. Must admit using a guide for a couple of puzzles though, some hurt my brain. Would definitely keep an eye on that studio.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm waiting for the next sale, it looks great. Surprised this has gone under my radar. Very good Steam user score with quite a few votes as well.

The Swapper, most ignored?

It won numerous awards, was rated Best Puzzle Game in the 2013 GOTY thread, recouped its IndieFund budget in two days and made over $1 million on Playstation alone

I remember purchasing this game because I thought it was a metroidvania. I was not disappointed. Definitely enjoyed my time with it.

Wasp

I tried it for about 15 minutes. I hated the art style. It's so bleak, dark and miserable. It's the Metro 2033 of puzzle games.

Also the trophies are far too hard to get.

I plan to go back to it one day but I'm never in the mood.

cakely

Loved it! A fantastic puzzle platformer that ranks up there with Portal and Braid.

It's also one of the few games that I'd consider to be "hard sci-fi" ... it wasn't just a fantasy game with a futuristic coat of paint.

Gradon

If you're looking for a sci-fi side-scrolling puzzle game that mostly got ignored check out The Fall.

I wanted to get this for PS4, hows it compare?

Absolutely loved the Swapper, the ending baffled me and had me in pondering thought for ages.
Was what I did, right?
I loved the story and atmosphere.

Totally unexpected gem.

RedAssedApe

Banned
played through it via ps+

gaf ot was tiny though...although i dunno if that means its ignored. many games that do well don't necessarily have large threads.

awesome game. gameplay, story, aesthetics, atmosphere, music were all excellent. dat ending

I tried it for about 15 minutes. I hated the art style. It's so bleak, dark and miserable. It's the Metro 2033 of puzzle games.

Also the trophies are far too hard to get.

I plan to go back to it one day but I'm never in the mood.

trophies are really easy to get if you know where to look. i don't really know how you're supposed to find some of those secrets without a guide tho

Top Bottom