• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children Beta Announced

This is positioned mostly as a stress test, so only 3 three-hour blocks this time around.

If you press L1, you can blow a whistle that will show the positions of anyone near you as a brief burst. You also show up while using gestures (brought up with R1).

Not sure if extending display time JUST for friends is doable, but it's something to consider!

Sorry, the stream!

Jabba

Banned
Duck, I wanted to ask, is there a reason the Alpha was longer than the Beta?
Love the game btw. Can't wait for release.

Nvm, read the stress test post. Apologies.

After my short experience of playing the game this morning I can say that it's definitely awesome! The major advice I could give you would be to try to always have power in town by running on the treadmill, and maybe bring a rocket launcher with you to the islands to take care of spiders and other not so fun beings.
Is there a way GAF members can play together, or do they need to be on your PS4 friends list?

wowzors

I have a US key if anyone would be interested. I won one earlier in this thread. Please PM and I will get it to you as soon as I can.

Code taken.

Sorry, the stream!

We'll be at www.twitch.tv/qgames

Duck, I wanted to ask, is there a reason the Alpha was longer than the Beta?

I believe the Alpha was geared much more toward gameplay feedback and trying out a number of ideas. That feedback plus feedback we got at E3, TGS, PSX etc is reflected (and still being reflected on. The Beta however is mainly focused on trying to focus stress on the servers during some high traffic times to make sure they stand up prior to release.

liberator 23

Neo Member
Is there a way GAF members can play together, or do they need to be on your PS4 friends list?

I think the best way to do it is to have the person on your friends list. If you want to add myself (Liberator223) or (Nestled_Grizzly) on PSN we are both at the same town, trying to build it up. There's already about five Gaffers as residents.

I know right, it's amazing that we get to play TTC but I wish they'd at least extend it and give us 1 full day of playtime. Here's hoping.

"for now" was the prasing used. That doesn't sound like a concrete only 3 days, imo. More like a "play it close to the chest" move. So if they need, or want, to extend it they can, but if they get what they need now they're not obligated.

HiVision

You mean people on the dev team and your QA testers?

Don't think too much of people, there will be some sad sods who will pick up this game just for the potential to grief as much as possible in a game all about cooperation.

You can send unruly proletarians to Gulag-- I mean prison, right?

Yes, you can build traps for those guys and they get thrown into a mini jail and everyone can see them and point and laugh :)

Anything in particular? All feedback is greatly
appreciated.

You got it.

Now, granted, I was in for just an hour, so I COULD just be missing things. But I think towns need to have better defense starting out. There are probably ways to circumvent this if the town is working together, but new players might get frustrated and turn the game off.

The bus times should be a little bit faster. So should the bus itself.

I think you guys are really close to reaching that point where people look out for the whole rather than themselves, and that's the general theme of the game, but it needs something more to keep people committed in a long term. I don't know how to articulate myself on this, but if I can gather it, I'll tell you. It's not bad by a long shot, and I don't think it'll be an issue, but just to be on the safe side you know?

And I'd love to know how the griefing thing is going to work because I see that being abused, even if it's rare.

I'll post my full impressions in a second. Let's just say this was one of the most memorable experiences I've had in a game.

hydruxo

I really like the atmosphere and vibe that this game is going for. I only played for like 20 minutes or so before I went to work this morning but it was a very memorable 20 minutes. Excited to get into this some more the next two days.

HiVision

So Massive Duck, I dunno if you're still around or if someone else knows-

During my time in the beta, I found a shovel that went in my 'Right' inventory(Where your citizens booklet is stored). When I picked up a shovel in town it went in my Left inventory(Next to the backpack).

Any reason why o.o?

Your right inventory is for "Freeland items", ie. illegal imports from outside the soviet state. Your left inventory is the officially state-sponsored tools area.

liberator 23

Neo Member
I think you guys are really close to reaching that point where people look out for the whole rather than themselves, and that's the general theme of the game, but it needs something more to keep people committed in a long term. I don't know how to articulate myself on this, but if I can gather it, I'll tell you. It's not bad by a long shot, and I don't think it'll be an issue, but just to be on the safe side you know?

I feel like this is almost achieved with the coupon system, where you receive coupons to purchase goods with by contributing to the town, and the amount that you receive is proportional to how much you contribute in labor. They've also included a ranking system within the town so you can compete for the top spot of "I'm contributing the most".

Okay, here we go.

I hate building games, and I hate social interactions in video games. Like, if I can play most games offline, or not have to interact with humans, I'm good. Dragon Quest Builders is the exception to the rule on the first, and fighting games are to the second. I don't even go online on EDF, and only when online for Bloodborne to beat it.

So when these dudes were like "this is a multiplayer game", I was kinda twisted.

But then today happened.

I hit a town that's empty. Oh wait, someone just popped up. They are there, but they aren't. I see them interact, move around, pick up stuff, and poof. Like, it's just enough to not be irritating, annoying, or awful.

The most important part is contribution. Everyone is trying to contribute, even if they don't know it. And when they know, they contribute more. People just leave shit around for you to take, to use, and continue. It's largely about unity without forcing faces in your area constantly.

The game itself is snappy and responsive, the mining aspect doesn't too long, and the minigames themselves don't seem to get old. You can even pick your job and what you want to do and STILL contribute a lot to the game!

It's a huge shame that I can't play anymore. I'm craving it. SFV might be my GOTY, because that's a foregone conclusion, but a game that's not a fighter won't get that much time outta me.

Tomorrow Children? This is some fun shit. Pure, enjoyable, rewarding while still being difficult and mindful of what you need to do for your greater good. I can easily see myself plunking in hours upon hours as soon as I get home, on the weekends.

I'm rambling, but I really, really like how this game turned out.

HiVision

In my opinion, this design is more fitting to the game... But, will I be able to play with friends when the game is released?

Great game btw, really enjoying it.

You can play with your friends in the beta test - go to the station and select the "friends town" filter, go forth and build a city together!

Replicant

I think my biggest problem atm is I don't know why I should commit myself to a specific town. Why should I work hard for this town instead of another or making my own? What's in it for me? How would I know that the town won't get destroyed in a N-th days by the monsters if there's not enough people?

More help would also be appreciated. I felt like I was completely stranded by the time I arrived in the town. I wasn't sure how to build my own house, etc.

Frosta

Banned
You can play with your friends in the beta test - go to the station and select the "friends town" filter, go forth and build a city together!

When is the release date? I can't find it on ESRB. Oh and how much will it cost? I want to preorder it (which would be a first for me) but if it's like The Witness...

Se_7_eN

When is the release date? I can't find it on ESRB. Oh and how much will it cost? I want to preorder it (which would be a first for me) but if it's like The Witness...

I am confused... Why aren't you expecting this to be a fully priced game?

I think the biggest part of the game for me is how many different island variations there are. I would hate to think after about 10 it'll repeat the same cycle or something like that. I have faith though!

liberator 23

Neo Member
I think the biggest part of the game for me is how many different island variations there are. I would hate to think after about 10 it'll repeat the same cycle or something like that. I have faith though!

This is a good point, also what about a variety of Kaiju? I've only noticed the large Godzilla like ones and the flying ones. As well as some spiders and mosquito like enemies.

Are we allowed to give out a code to a closed beta? Since it's only for 3 hours on 3 days (one of which is over) I'm not going to have the time to play this. Why do that with a beta? Anyway I have a code if I can give it out.

Here are the times for the remaining 2 days of the beta:
FRIDAY January 22nd | 11 AM - 2 PM PST
SATURDAY January 23rd | 4 PM - 7 PM PST

Qvoth

some impressions

being top 3 in the daily rankings should get you some rewards, i was top twice and 2nd once but i don't think i got anything out of it
and i managed to get those basically from progressing my quests, i didn't leave my town to explore the resource islands until the last half hour of the beta

maybe you should be able to praise the player who built a building while accessing the building, i had quests that want me to check out signs and mass monitors but my town didn't have any so i built them myself

and i still need some advice on getting money, i've seen them on the ground for some reason, but only twice and that's very inconsistent, we need a consistent way to earn money as well
maybe you should be able to sell coupons for money on the black market?

Mikey Jr.

Are we allowed to give out a code to a closed beta? Since it's only for 3 hours on 3 days (one of which is over) I'm not going to have the time to play this. Why do that with a beta? Anyway I have a code if I can give it out.

Here are the times for the remaining 2 days of the beta:
FRIDAY January 22nd | 11 AM - 2 PM PST
SATURDAY January 23rd | 4 PM - 7 PM PST

I'll take it?

Also, wtf at those times? lol.

Bsigg12

Hey guys come play our closed beta! It's only open for 3 days! For 3 hours each of those days! In real shit time blocks!

Kinda frustrating because I was really excited to give the game a shot but each of the tests falls in times I can't participate so that sucks.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
confused. this is like minecraft? at e3 all I saw were sliding 15 puzzles... or was that another game?

Shy

From the little i played of the game in the first block, i really liked it. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Quick question.

I hated where i put my house, can i pick it up and move it, and if so, how do i do it please.
good find with the night goggles! ;)
*blushes* Thank you good sir. :)

Are all those goodies always in the same place in the tutorial, or are they procedurally generated. ?

The reason i ask, is because where i found the NVG screamed to me "SECRET SECRET, COME DIG HERE" :D

Okay, here we go.

I hate building games, and I hate social interactions in video games. Like, if I can play most games offline, or not have to interact with humans, I'm good. Dragon Quest Builders is the exception to the rule on the first, and fighting games are to the second. I don't even go online on EDF, and only when online for Bloodborne to beat it.

So when these dudes were like "this is a multiplayer game", I was kinda twisted.

But then today happened.

I hit a town that's empty. Oh wait, someone just popped up. They are there, but they aren't. I see them interact, move around, pick up stuff, and poof. Like, it's just enough to not be irritating, annoying, or awful.

The most important part is contribution. Everyone is trying to contribute, even if they don't know it. And when they know, they contribute more. People just leave shit around for you to take, to use, and continue. It's largely about unity without forcing faces in your area constantly.

The game itself is snappy and responsive, the mining aspect doesn't too long, and the minigames themselves don't seem to get old. You can even pick your job and what you want to do and STILL contribute a lot to the game!

It's a huge shame that I can't play anymore. I'm craving it. SFV might be my GOTY, because that's a foregone conclusion, but a game that's not a fighter won't get that much time outta me.

Tomorrow Children? This is some fun shit. Pure, enjoyable, rewarding while still being difficult and mindful of what you need to do for your greater good. I can easily see myself plunking in hours upon hours as soon as I get home, on the weekends.

I'm rambling, but I really, really like how this game turned out.

You got it.

Now, granted, I was in for just an hour, so I COULD just be missing things. But I think towns need to have better defense starting out. There are probably ways to circumvent this if the town is working together, but new players might get frustrated and turn the game off.

The bus times should be a little bit faster. So should the bus itself.

And I'd love to know how the griefing thing is going to work because I see that being abused, even if it's rare.

I'll post my full impressions in a second. Let's just say this was one of the most memorable experiences I've had in a game.

I think you've got a pretty good grasp on the game. We're going to address some of this in greater depth here and on stream, so stay tuned.

I think my biggest problem atm is I don't know why I should commit myself to a specific town. Why should I work hard for this town instead of another or making my own? What's in it for me? How would I know that the town won't get destroyed in a N-th days by the monsters if there's not enough people?

More help would also be appreciated. I felt like I was completely stranded by the time I arrived in the town. I wasn't sure how to build my own house, etc.

You're not really "supposed" to commit to a town; it's pretty much up to you (and maybe circumstances) if you want to root down, or wander the Void.

With regard to starting out, we realize there are some things not covered in the Beta Manual and not readily evident, and I'll get into some of that later as well.

Qvoth

From the little i played of the game in the first block, i really liked it. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Quick question.

I hated where i put my house, can i pick it up and move it, and if so, how do i do it please.

*blushes* Thank you good sir. :)

Are all those goodies always in the same place in the tutorial, or are they procedurally generated. ?

The reason i ask, is because where i found the NVG screamed to me "SECRET SECRET, COME DIG HERE" :D

there's a night vision googles at the tutorial? damn i only found flare and shovel

Mik2121

If anyone wants to check, yesterday I streamed the game for almost 3 hours (near the end it stopped streaming, eh..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYEuCHWXPE

Edit: During the beginning I was having dinner, that's why I stood there for like 10+ minutes I think. Skip that part and it will just show me running around trying to understand stuff :p

HiVision

If there is an information board/monitor display (the bigger one with buttons underneath it) you can get help there. If it isn't there, then go build one at the workbench :)

Mik2121

Free playtest with movie included! :p
I will post my opinions later, but as I said here before, overall really enjoyed the game, the atmosphere is amazing and you guys got a purchase from me :)

Also I edited my last post, but on that movie, after the first few minutes I stopped playing because I was having dinner, but I think it's just about 10 mins or so.

HiVision

There are many many islands... which ones did you get to see?

Some of them are HUGE too, which means you can approach them from a completely different direction the next time they crop up and discover completely new things.

Mik2121

Some of them are HUGE too, which means you can approach them from a completely different direction the next time they crop up and discover completely new things.

Near the end right when the server kicked me out, I was running towards this weird black massive island with what looked like some red scissors at the top. It looked interesting but alas... :(

You guys should match with MediaMolecule and have things made in Dreams show up as islands in TTC. (I know it's not happening and it would be a nightmare, just dreaming :p)

I saw that greenish small island at the beginning and then the red face with bombs in the sky. :) The red face one was huge though. I didn't know where to start digging at!

I saw this Pig Island

522TheTomorrowChildrenB.png

It was massive! I felt like I barley scratched the surface when exploring. Next time it comes around i want to get a jetpack and approach from the top.

Top Bottom