• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Sad to see the news about Metro:LL and that Aliens slipped to next year.

In my opinion, the thing that the Wii lacked the most compared to the HD twins was the breadth of compelling 7.5 to 9.0 games that won't win GoTY awards but are enjoyed.

Both of these games would fit in that area to me. Aliens, in particular, looked to have a really fantastic single player.

The launch lineup will still be really strong, I think:
- BLOPS 2 - check (assumed)
- ACIII - check
- Madden - check (assumed)
- 3 1st party games (guessing)
- Batman: AC with all the DLC
Interested in getting to find out what Satterfield knows that has him saying this will be in the top 5 best launches of all time..

I have my E3 setup ready.

First I will use my 42" TV for the stream. Hope that ends well!!!! Second my main monitor will be my gaf, chat, irc, ect things. My food will be any junk food I can find. All this from my computer.

Instro

All this UE4 talk is making my head spin. UE is clearly a major toolset in the industry, but reading some of the comments, you'd think the entire industry is 100% created on the engine.

Nintendo should just develope their own completely optimized Wii U engine for third parties and license it for peanuts.

They are doing this apparently. Or rather they have developed their own engine for their studios and are also licensing it out.

japtor

In my opinion, the thing that the Wii lacked the most compared to the HD twins was the breadth of compelling 7.5 to 9.0 games that won't win GoTY awards but are enjoyed.

Both of these games would fit in that area to me. Aliens, in particular, looked to have a really fantastic single player.

- ACIII - check
Super generalized view of the mainstream "core" gamers, but I think just getting the major multi platform shooters and modern Madden alone are huge...and GTA. Just the huge monster games that most people know about (that companies also push the most since god knows they're fucked if those fail).

- ACIII - check
I feel like even the bigger titles like Call of Duty hitting the Wii were still plagued by the perception of "No serious third party is developing their games for Wii."

There are plenty of people who were unaware of the Wii versions of the Modern Warfare games, for example.

But yeah, just looking at your list there, third parties are coming out swinging.

Yeah I've played in tate on my GB Micro with a homebrew bullet hell game, it was surprisingly playable. The big difference would just be the sheer size of the thing though, it'd be kind of a pain I think cause the way your wrists would have to bend more (holding my iPad like that right now kind of visualizing it). Of course there's always the iOS cheater control option too, move around with the touch screen. And that tate mode stand + remote...they made that little stand thing for Kid Icarus, they can make one for this!

Again if it's true when people who've used it say it's surprisingly light, it could at least be an option and surely wouldn't take much more personal adjustment than DS games that require the system to be held vertically. Plus in one recent pic the Upad didn't look much wider than a Wiimote that was sitting right underneath it. In fact, I'd be surprised if there aren't more than a few non shooter eShop games that require the Upad to be held vertically. But yeah, I'm with ya 100% otherwise.

Super generalized view of the mainstream "core" gamers, but I think just getting the major multi platform shooters and modern Madden alone are huge...and GTA. Just the huge monster games that most people know about (that companies also push the most since god knows they're fucked if those fail).
indeed. Honestly Blops 2 is the only 3rd party I'd get at or very near launch. Besides that it's all first party shit. Then a while after I'll catch up on AC3 and whatever.

Instro

Interested in getting to find out what Satterfield knows that has him saying this will be in the top 5 best launches of all time..

Honestly I would guess he found out about some 3rd party stuff, seems unlikely he would have anything on 1st party outside of Retro's game maybe.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
You are right, but: THQ cut what they can. Why cutting just the Wii U version? I mean: we are talking about a game that was announced, also for Wii U, one year ago, about a version that should be simply an easy port.
So, why? It's evident that they consider the Wii U less important than the other consoles.
So, what this fact suggests us about third party consideration about the brand new home console from Nintendo?
That they think that it is a Nintendo home, so only Nintenod titles can sell, no market for mature fps games and so on...
Of course it's less important. The other consoles have a matured install base. If they literally have to cut staff in order to make payroll, dropping the Wii U guys on that project, or moving them to the main project staff to speed up things is not irrational. Really, EA's support of the console is the best indicator support. Not THQ.

antonz

THQ is a company that one Bomb from one of their major games and the entire place could cease to exist. They already terminated all games that arent launching before 2014. They have had to backout of licensed game deals etc.

THQ while they have been pretty nice to Nintendo as far as investing and trying to succeed just doesnt have the funds. You have 90 people developing a game for PS3/360/PC for instance now you need to make a 4th version. You need more people. You cant be poaching from the current staff because then work on the others fall behind. Killer Freaks is a great example. Ubisoft is pulling people from Studios all around the world to work on the project and thats just a Wii U game

Sendou

After 3DS launch I would like to believe Satterfield would actually know something to make this kind of statement.

Going by the announced games and that said 3DS launch Wii U launch wouldn't look very promising so I have great hopes for E3.

Off topic a bit, but I just came across this video of Reggie:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2011/12/i-3-reggie-fils-aime/

He's a Breaking Bad fan! I <3 you, Reggie.

efXWC.jpg

you know why I can make that statement? Because if there isn't a few first party titles, then I'm not gonna get the system at all :)

Pikmin 3 aint enough.

That, I can agree with. They gotta show me more coming out this year then Pikmin 3 and NSMBMii, although I wouldn't be totally shocked if that's what Nintendo does(alongside a bunch of third party titles) and think that's enough for HOliday season 2012. And hell, it just might be...

Just not for me >_>

That, I can agree with. They gotta show me more coming out this year then Pikmin 3 and NSMBMii, although I wouldn't be totally shocked if that's what Nintendo does(alongside a bunch of third party titles) and think that's enough for HOliday season 2012. And hell, it just might be...

Just not for me >_>

I have to doubt that it'd be enough for many people besides those day one buyers.

snesfreak

Banned
THQ is a company that one Bomb from one of their major games and the entire place could cease to exist. They already terminated all games that arent launching before 2014. They have had to backout of licensed game deals etc.

THQ while they have been pretty nice to Nintendo as far as investing and trying to succeed just doesnt have the funds. You have 90 people developing a game for PS3/360/PC for instance now you need to make a 4th version. You need more people. You can be poaching from the current staff because then work on the others fall behind. Killer Freaks is a great example. Ubisoft is pulling people from Studios all around the world to work on the project and thats just a Wii U game
Basically.
But it's much easier to just put all the blame on Nintendo, and say they can't get third parties.

Just not for me >_?
If we get Pikmin 3, some Mario game, and Retro's game in launch (Retro possibly in launch window), then I'll probably concede assuming the price of the console is good. But if we get only 2 first party titles for a long time, then I'll just get AC3 and blops 2 for the console I own now and playplayplay.

I have to doubt that it'd be enough for many people besides those day one buyers.
pretty much

Games that have already been released on other consoles months and months earlier

If Shocking Alberto is correct, and Ninja Gaiden 3 does not, in fact, make it to WiiU, that leaves us with a grand total of one of these games, Arkham City, that have even been tangentially mentioned since last E3, and that's likely to be the GoTY edition anyway. Darksiders could be anything from 1-3 months late, too, but that's not quite as stark.

Ports of months/years old titles will be a very, very small part of Nintendo's strategy.

Basically.
But it's much easier to just put all the blame on Nintendo, and say they can't get third parties.

If they don't enable their hardware to meet the requirements for some of the upcoming engines, I don't see how they can't be to blame. They have surely improved from last generation but if they don't go even further than yea, the blame should fall on Nintendo.

Bumhead

Banned
The only third party game I pretty much require for the Wii U launch is Resident Evil 6. I need that game in my life and would rather not have to borrow hardware to play it. Despite all the silence on that game coming to Wii U so far I still think it's a good candidate for the Wii U, taking both Capcom and the series' previous history with Nintendo into account.

At least, that's what I'm hoping.

GTA V and BLOPS 2 would be significant for the wider third party issue but RE6 is the major one for me.

snesfreak

Banned
If they don't enable their hardware to meet the requirements for some of the upcoming engines, I don't see how they can't be to blame. They have surely improved from last generation but if they don't go even further than yea, the blame should fall on Nintendo.
We're not talking about UE4 and you know it.

The only third party game I pretty much require for the Wii U launch is Resident Evil 6. I need that game in my life and would rather not have to borrow hardware to play it. Despite all the silence on that game coming to Wii U so far I still think it's a good candidate for the Wii U, taking both Capcom and the series' previous history with Nintendo into account.

At least, that's what I'm hoping.

GTA V and BLOPS 2 would be significant for the wider third party issue but RE6 is the major one for me.
highly doubt it makes it to launch, probably some gold edition in 2013 sometime.

It's irrelevant to what I was specifically talking about.

It just represents the bigger issue regarding third party support which includes the issue of UE4. Third parties have to decide who to spend their cash on. They can either put that money towards a system that will not be as powerful as the PS4/nextXbox or they can put it towards those systems, increasing the number of potential buyers than if they had just focused on the Wii U. If I'm spending $300-350 for a Wii U, I don't just want it to get current games but games coming out 3, 4, 5 years from now. That is the concern regarding the hardware.

Penguin

It just represents the bigger issue regarding third party support which includes the issue of UE4. Third parties have to decide who to spend their cash on. They can either put that money towards a system that will not be as powerful as the PS4/nextXbox or they can put it towards those systems, increasing the number of potential buyers than if they had just focused on the Wii U. If I'm spending $300-350 for a Wii U, I don't just want it to get current games but games coming out 3, 4, 5 years from now. That is the concern regarding the hardware.

I mean the 3rd option would be to find a way to balance your budget.. and expectation and get the game on all 3 systems.

Bumhead

Banned
highly doubt it makes it to launch, probably some gold edition in 2013 sometime.

Aye. I say launch but.. that would probably do for me, as painful as the wait for 2013 would be. Basically if Capcom come on stage and confirm RE6 is coming to Wii U at some point then that's good enough for me.

On a personal level I will have enough quality gaming with the 2 or 3 big first party Nintendo titles on or around launch and the better Wii games I missed over the last 6 years to care too much about third parties in the short term.

I mean the 3rd option would be to find a way to balance your budget.. and expectation and get the game on all 3 systems.

Sure, except that may decrease the visuals of the game on the PS4/Next Box, changing the way you can advertise and market it and possibly how many people will buy it. If third parties aren't confident in the Wii U being a winner for them then why spend the money?

jacksrb

I don't recall him saying that exactly. Something more along the lines of "people will be really impressed" or similar. But Wii U will feature great first party content and a lot of what I would call 'mature' generation software (i.e., the opposite of the usual launch games) and that, to me, will equate with one of the strongest launch lineups ever.

Agreed. If they get GTAV that will cover the most important bases.

Penguin

Sure, except that may decrease the visuals of the game on the PS4/Next Box, changing the way you can advertise and market it and possibly how many people will buy it. If third parties aren't confident in the Wii U being a winner for them then why spend the money?

Yes, but as I said.. or believe.. by the time Unreal 4 becomes a factor.. third parties will know if its worth investing ina Wii U SKU anyhow.

IF they get tremendous sales in this rookie year, they'll find a way to support it. If not, fine reason to drop support.

I think that's fair instead of pointing fingers.

Yes, but as I said.. or believe.. by the time Unreal 4 becomes a factor.. third parties will know if its worth investing ina Wii U SKU anyhow.

IF they get tremendous sales in this rookie year, they'll find a way to support it. If not, fine reason to drop support.

I think that's fair instead of pointing fingers.

But couldn't it be argued that had the Wii been able to handle UE4 that it would be less likely for them to drop support since it would be extremely easy to just port said game over to the Wii U? If it doesn't support UE4 then they basically have to create a new game for the console.

But which games?

I could name a few that would make ground-breaking launch titles.

New games = COD Blops 2 (if its on the Wii U)
Ass Creed 3
Rayman
Pikmin
Super Mario 4

That would be a very good lineup.

Sendou

What about those 3rd party collobrations that Nintendo mentioned at some investor's meeting? I wonder if we'll hear something from that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom