• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina

Level 8 or 9 unlocks the other trees.

edit: just beat Chapter 1 on medium. Very fun chapter, and a few challenging fights. Only had to turn the difficulty down when fighting
Letho
, but apart from that it was definately do-able. Onwards to Chapter 2!

Salaadin

thetrin said:
It says in a tooltip, but you might have missed it. You have to finish the Witcher skill tree before the others unlock.

Easy enough on both accounts. Thanks :)

Is there a way to check your playtime in this?

epmode

Dina said:
Level 8 or 9 unlocks the other trees.
Do you have to spend the earlier points in the training tree or can you hold off and dump the extra points in the newly unlocked trees?

mescalineeyes said:
I can't get past the very beginning. I always burn to death between the 2 barns where the guards are.

some bullshit this is.
Don't run when the ground between the barns is being torched. You can make it through without taking damage.

Hawk269

BeeDog said:
Alright, I hope someone can help me.

I played the dice game vs. the Monk in the basement of the Floatsam tavern. After a couple of wins, a tutorial-like box popped up called "Lucky Roll"; the monk said he'd give me something and the box mentioned something about checking a menu option to "redeem" something. The problem is, I didn't pay enough attention.

What's this about? Can some kind soul help me out with this? :p Thanks!

Go to the journal, scroll down a bit. All the tips/hints that pop up show up in the journal for you to read later or if you missed and/or did not remember what was said. Very handy feature.

thetrin said:
It says in a tooltip, but you might have missed it. You have to finish the Witcher skill tree before the others unlock.
Odd, I didn't finish the Witcher skill tree. The other paths unlocked at level 8 (or 9?) for me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hmmm, I never tried it, but would Quen protect you during the dragon fire section?

Revolutionary said:
Odd, I didn't finish the Witcher skill tree. The other paths unlocked at level 8 (or 9?) for me.

Oh okay. That's what the tooltip said for me. I might have been wrong.

thetrin said:
Hmmm, I never tried it, but would Quen protect you during the dragon fire section?

Oh okay. That's what the tooltip said for me. I might have been wrong.
Quen is an all purpose damage absorption buff until it runs out or hits it's damage threshold.

FYI, if you are hit with incineration, casting it will immediately put the flames out.

Micius

Revolutionary said:

You do not have to finish the tree, but you need to put 6 points in it. So basically the other trees unlock after you use your level 7 point, and by level 8 you can put points elsewhere.

wilflare

anyone else using Controller to play this?
any idea what does the RB do?

anyone configured
Next Item, Next Sign to their Controller too

I'm dying constantly at the Prologue

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Micius said:
You do not have to finish the tree, but you need to put 6 points in it. So basically the other trees unlock after you use your level 7 point, and by level 8 you can put points elsewhere.

Yeah, that's what I assumed.

JoeBoy101 said:
Several times I was holding down parry with no visible reaction from Geralt.

I think it's tied to the amount of Vigor you have. If you don't have enough, then he won't block. That's the way it seems to me so far, but I'm only guessing.

Salaadin said:
When can I upgrade the swordsman tree? I gained a few levels last night (currently 6) and it was still saying that they were all locked.

Spend 6 talents in the training tree first.

Mattdaddy said:
Should I buy an XBOX controller for this? I'm kinda curious to try it out. How does it feel?

People really need to read more of this thread, anyway, controller feels excellent, I switched over to it exclusively feels that much better than m/kb for me on W2.

Salaadin said:
Another question (minor Nekker spoilers)...
Are their nests in that small cave system underneath the city? I went in there twice yesterday. First time, I had to kill maybe 10 nekkers. Second time, there had to be 20 in that first room alone. I still dont know how I killed them all.

Anyways, I saw a lot of holes down there...is that what I have to bomb? If its not, dont tell me where the nests are as Id like to find out myself. Im just curious if I can reduce the population of them in that cave.

The holes are in the forest, run around and you will find them. You need to have Grapeshot bomb in your inventory, then move close to the hole and a prompt will ask you to click LMB to bomb it. Do not drop it on the hole using the R button, it won't work.

thetrin

I've been playing with the KBM only so far, but I'm definitely going to try with the controller tonight, especially after all the rave reviews.

Btw, did anyone notice the amazing use of bokeh during the fist fights?

gdt

Hmm, considering buying the Amazon retail disc edition, $44.99 plus $10 credit. I also have $20 credit from buying LA Noire just now. So, after everything, I could pay ~$15 for The Witcher 2.

Would I miss anything buying the retail disc version?

thetrin

gdt5016 said:
Hmm, considering buying the Amazon retail disc edition, $44.99 plus $10 credit. I also have $20 credit from buying LA Noire just now. So, after everything, I could pay ~$15 for The Witcher 2.

Would I miss anything buying the retail disc version?

a bonus DVD with developer diaries and the soundtrack, a cool paper map, a small strategy guide.

Hmm, I'm sure this was asked/answered, but can't find it: for Steam, where do I get my activation code to register and get the DLC? It asks for the activation code from the back of the manual, but there is no key in Steam, nor in the manual PDF.

EDIT: Damn, I thought I'd uploaded more of them, but evidently not. Just wanted to point out how NUTS the character models and textures are, particularly Iorveth. I remember looking at the screens of him and his facial textures and thinking how they have to be bullshots. The textures and soft lighting--excellent.

gdt

thetrin said:
a bonus DVD with developer diaries and the soundtrack, a cool paper map, a small strategy guide.

I mean, any cool dd only stuff? Really tempted to pick this up...but I only just started TW1! lol

wilflare said:
anyone else using Controller to play this?
any idea what does the RB do?

anyone configured
Next Item, Next Sign to their Controller too

I'm dying constantly at the Prologue

RB uses an item that you put in the quick item slot in inventory.

Minsc

Gold Member
This game is prime material for a Zero Punctuation review. Hopefully it gets picked up within a month or two there.

Ceebs

A few thoughts:

I tried the playing with the 360 pad and it took all of 5 minutes for me to go back to the KB/M. The combat may feel a bit better with it, but damn if I am going to deal with the menus with it. I am sure it is great if you are not easily frustrated

I thought the game looked great, then it got dark and started to rain. HOLY SHIT this game is flat out beautiful. Seeing just the light campfires out of focus through the trees and fog looks fantastic.

One of the things they need to address once they start patching gameplay stuff is the distance you need to be to interact with objects. I have about a 50% success rate with traps since you need to be so close to even get the disarm prompt.

The notice board quests are much improved. They require a bit of thought this time around.

I think I like the dice music in this one even more. It's quite good.

Not fond of the arm wrestling though.

JWong

Banned
Review count at 5.

I don't think Witcher will maintain a high metacritic with the onslaught of mainstream reviewers. Hopefully it will stick it out.

So far, it feels like the Uncharted 2 of RPGs. So cinematic.

wilflare

scorpscarx said:
People really need to read more of this thread, anyway, controller feels excellent, I switched over to it exclusively feels that much better than m/kb for me on W2.

The Controller's awesome but I think it's missing some functionality..
any idea what's RB/R1 for the Controller
it's kinda cumbersome using the Quick Menu to change Signs every single time

EDIT: got a reply on RB/R1 thanks guys :D

Mattdaddy said:
Should I buy an XBOX controller for this? I'm kinda curious to try it out. How does it feel?

It feels awesome; inventory is a bit slow but not horrible. This is coming from a regular 360 player though, so not sure how it compares to a normal kb/m player. I played some of the first witcher with the mouse and the camera just seems more twitchy (movements are less smooth); not sure if its the game or the controls though.

Edit: Wilflare, look at my last post; rb is for quickslot item.

scorpscarx said:

Might be ergonomically better, I feel like I'm losing options/precision with the gamepad. With the keyboard and mouse setup, camera control and target aiming is better, there are buttons for shortcuts and other UI options which makes navigating through menus a lot less cumbersome.

Hawk269

That would be incredible.

What they should do is re-master Witcher 1 and release it for consoles. Then when the next-next gen consoles come out they would have Witcher 2 ready for launch day. I don't see how the could put W2 on todays console's without some serious sacrafices.

Suairyu

Banned
Minsc said:
This game is prime material for a Zero Punctuation review. Hopefully it gets picked up within a month or two there.
He didn't like the first. Not that I blame him - it wasn't that fun a game before the EE (he played vanilla) in my opinion, and even with EE it only really gets going once you hit chapter 3.

Gully State said:
Might be ergonomically better, I feel like I'm losing options/precision with the gamepad. With the keyboard and mouse setup, camera control and target aiming is better, there are buttons for shortcuts and other UI options which makes navigating through menus a lot less cumbersome.

I thought so at first, but I'm a very patient gamer, and it feels like it was heavily designed with controller in mind. Besides, I can always press I, J, M on top of it. Dodging and camera movement is improved for me with a controller, and the whole radial menu thing is (to my mind) a very very very controller specific mechanic. (and you have to use it anyway)

Another reason why controller is better, is it makes the game a little slower which is all the groovier for viewing the graphics from as many perspectives as possible :p

This is coming from a m/kb purest.

DaBuddaDa

JWong said:
Review count at 5.

I don't think Witcher will maintain a high metacritic with the onslaught of mainstream reviewers. Hopefully it will stick it out.
The combat, difficulty, and inherent bugs in PC games will cause this game to see a deluge of 8s and B+s from US reviewers.

Just played for 8.5 hours non stop.

Couldn't put it down. Didn't eat dinner (I ate biscuits and drank milk a couple of times throughout to satiate my hunger).

I'm supposed to be getting up for work in 4.5 hours.

I'm going to be so screwed tomorrow but I just couldn't stop playing, I am totally in love with this game in every way and I feel like I'm still barely scratching the surface I mean I haven't even gotten past Chapter 1 yet and I've only done a few quests within it.

Just got up to Level 9 and got some new items / armour and weapons (including a weapon that has a 50% chance of poison) and wow, I'm one powerful mofo by default at the moment.

God I love this... LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. I love the traps, I love the bombs, I love the daggers (daggers rock!), I love the alchemy, I love the Magic, I love the Skill Trees, I love the entire inventory, journal and crafting system, I'm so totally hooked.

The DiRT 2 Crossfire Profile thing worked as well so I've been playing at a locked 60fps with ultra and everything enabled (except uber). So amazingly happy with this game.

This is a spoiler about something in the forest in chapter 1
Has anyone done the cursed burned down dungeon in the forest yet? That big was absolutely INCREDIBLE!

I gotta go to bed, I got a big day at work tomorrow, plus LA Noire... MAN... SOOO good.

I'm in a state of disbelief of how good this is... I don't remember the last time I was so hooked that I played 8.5 hours of a game on a work night (well I do, it was the night I started and finished Portal 2 in the same night) but even still, this is two nights in a row now and as I said, I've barely scratched the surface.

Sorry for rambling on guys I'm a bit delirious after 3 nights of sub 5 hours sleep and work + super excitement for home and stuff, and to think - I gotta go through it all again tomorrow.

Thank god we got a PS3 at work so I can try out LA Noire once I pick it up on my lunch break.

thetrin

JWong said:
Review count at 5.

Really? You think the game is going to get slaughtered by mainstream reviewers? I don't see why it would.

LiK

JWong said:
Review count at 5.

I'm following some dudes who are reviewing the game and they're enjoying it. but the game is so large the review is taking a while.

DieH@rd said:
Buy the gods, the Flotsam forest @ rain looks glorious!

Everything about that forest is simply incredible... perhaps the most realistic forest I've seen yet.

Have you looked up yet?

wilflare said:
forgive me... but what's the difference between Silver and Steel Sword..

Steel is for humans / elves / dwarves.

Silver is for monsters.

Try using the silver on any of the above and you'll get your arse kicked, alternatively - try using your steel sword on monsters and the same thing'll happen.

wilflare said:

One is for killing monsters...The other isn't..

I wish I could map screenshot cap on FRAPS to a button on my 360 gamepad. But all the buttons are used up...

bigace33

Is it just me or is the text really small in the game? It's hard for me to read any text info that pops up on the screen. Awesome game though. This thing oozes quality and the combat is becoming more intuitive for me.

So the downloadable content servers are broken huh?

Anyhow... I'll try later.

I imagine if I wasn't on GAF I wouldn't know about this game and for this, I am glad. This is single handedly making my year.

Anyone else wish this game had a first person (camera inside Geralt's head) toggle button where you can't move (just move the camera), ala twilight princess. I wan't to see things closer up!

LiK

wilflare said:

um, is the sequel not doing a good job of teaching new players about this and other game mechanics? it's like one of the first things we learn in TW1.

gdt

Ahh fuck it. Ordering from Amazon. The credit's help, hopefully I can play this game at medium/high (probably dreaming on the high part lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom